Romero Romero where art thou now

GueRed

He would've saved at least one of those pens against Villareal IMO.

Would've done a much better job than that wet paper bag De Gea, thats for sure..

Adios

Schmeichel=God

We really are becoming the club which treat players like shit, and overall make utterly ridiculous decisions on transfers and contracts.

Just have balls and tell the players the strategy for their exit, tell them yes it's a business and they're expected to deal with it. But up front honest communication is always best.

In this situation I can see what they're doing. If it's Henderson, Heaton, Grant that's 3 home grown players for CL squad registration. Heaton is also club grown if those rules are still the same. So 2 spots freed up for foreign players in other positions. De Gea and Romero are likely leaving anyway, so overall it makes sense. Heaton is experienced and decent. It's sensible squad building imo.

Whether the 1 and 2 are weaker, I think we're talking 15% in both instances. With a better defence we can deal with that.

Our priority for strengthening is outfield anyway.

0le

I only just realized the title was a reference to Romeo and Juliet.

pablo__p

Farcical how a club that is always so happy to talk about values etc treated a fantastic player whose unique approach to being #2 has given us such a great comfort in the GK department for a few years.

Clumsy management.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It reads like a pointed remark.

'You deserve to be treated well in your new challenge' would be a strange thing to write if you're not making the point that they haven't been treated well by their current club.
English isn't his native language, and I doubt he even wrote it!
Nothing in it at all

GazTheLegend

Farcical how a club that is always so happy to talk about values etc treated a fantastic player whose unique approach to being #2 has given us such a great comfort in the GK department for a few years.

Clumsy management.
Whatever, man. It's a two way street and these things are quickly forgotten, as are things like de Gea refusing to sign a new contract for us right up until deadline day not that long ago. We got it wrong here but hopefully Romero didn't take anything personally and does well wherever he goes.

Withnail

English isn't his native language, and I doubt he even wrote it!
Nothing in it at all
Ok mate. It's perfectly normal to write that about someone who wasn't treated very well and who's wife publicly complained about said treatment and not mean to reference that at all. :confused:

He could just have said good luck in your new challenge.

Silas

Clumsy management.
Extremely poor from the club. Especially as he definitely could've done a job as our next #1. The real feck up was not selling Dave earlier tbh. I'd have been happy going into this season with Romero, Henderson and Grant and having the former two duke it out instead. Been clear for years that Dave's done. The fact we didn't even give him a chance is disappointing from Ole.

Withnail

Extremely poor from the club. Especially as he definitely could've done a job as our next #1. The real feck up was not selling Dave earlier tbh. I'd have been happy going into this season with Romero, Henderson and Grant and having the former two duke it out instead. Been clear for years that Dave's done. The fact we didn't even give him a chance is disappointing from Ole.
Romero is seriously over-rated on here.

I don't think there is anyway he could have been our number 1. He's only ever been a number 1 in a top division for 1 season in his whole career.

Granted, he was solid enough in the Europa and a few league games but he is not an elite keeper and won't be going to a big club as first choice.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This says a lot without saying much. De Gea has also previously criticised the team following a loss and had his captaincy stripped off him.

Seems like he's not on board with this Brexit FC with friends and family we've got going and I'm not surprised. The way we treated Herrera, Rojo (Everton wanted him but again we wouldn't sell) and now Romero shows you what kind of people we have running the club. Beyond treatment, we also lost money in those cases (gave Phil Jones a new contract).

On the other hand, Maguire was given the captaincy before he'd even put the shirt on his back. All very obvious and indicative if people try to look a bit deeper.

Romero is seriously over-rated on here.

I don't think there is anyway he could have been our number 1. He's only ever been a number 1 in a top division for 1 season in his whole career.

Granted, he was solid enough in the Europa and a few league games but he is not an elite keeper and won't be going to a big club as first choice.
I think you're missing the point slightly here. I, personally and I think most others, don't think he's a top-level goalkeeper but he's probably one of the best goalkeepers willing to warm bench and still come out and play really well when we need him to do so.

He's been a consummate professional throughout his time and we basically screwed him over and didn't even gain financially from it. Absolute joke.

Withnail

This says a lot without saying much. De Gea has also previously criticised the team following a loss and had his captaincy stripped off him.

Seems like he's not on board with this Brexit FC with friends and family we've got going and I'm not surprised. The way we treated Herrera, Rojo (Everton wanted him but again we wouldn't sell) and now Romero shows you what kind of people we have running the club. Beyond treatment, we also lost money in those cases (gave Phil Jones a new contract).

On the other hand, Maguire was given the captaincy before he'd even put the shirt on his back. All very obvious and indicative if people try to look a bit deeper.

I think you're missing the point slightly here. I, personally and I think most others, don't think he's a top-level goalkeeper but he's probably one of the best goalkeepers willing to warm bench and still come out and play really well when we need him to do so.

He's been a consumate professional throughout his time and we basically screwed him over and didn't even gain financially from it. Absolute joke.
Brexit FC?

Wasn't that a thing for about a week two seasons ago?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Absolutely disappointing, classless and so unnecessary to treat a player ( who was good for us) this way. Wish him the best going forward.

He's been a consummate professional throughout his time and we basically screwed him over and didn't even gain financially from it. Absolute joke.
get a grip. Brexit FC :lol: Maguire deserves to be captain, and PORTUGUESE Bruno deserves to be vice captain.

I don’t know why some people even bother to support a club they so obviously despise.

Rightnr

Brexit FC?

Wasn't that a thing for about a week two seasons ago?
get a grip. Brexit FC :lol: Maguire deserves to be captain, and PORTUGUESE Bruno deserves to be vice captain.

I don’t know why some people even bother to support a club they so obviously despise.
To me, it's always been quite clear we give British players a preferential treatment, mostly because they are home-grown. We have players like Jones and Williams earning >£50k/week when Bruno is not on much more than that and he's supposedly a star signing. Also, look at the effort put in to make Henderson our top choice goalkeeper. I doubt that would have happened if he wasn't from the youth team.

McTominay is way too trusted for someone of his ability in that position. Similar when it comes to Rashford, given his performances this season. We hear of these rumours how we want an English CB. Then you look at the targets for our transfers and we seem to be limited to British players again.

As for my Brexit FC remark, it's more to do with all the idiotic talk of culture and how that's somehow more important than bringing the best technicians and winning football games. The amount of times people on this forum go on about influence in the dressing room, you'd think this is the most important thing. It's only secondary after you get the football on the pitch to the right level, yet we are somehow obssessed with this culture talk, as if we are some corporate shill.

Last edited:

Withnail

To me, it's always been quite clear we give British players a preferential treatment, mostly because they are home-grown. We have players like Jones and Williams earning >£50k/week when Bruno is not on much more than that and he's supposedly a star signing. Also, look at the effort put in to make Henderson our top choice goalkeeper. I doubt that would have happened if he wasn't from the youth team.

McTominay is way too trusted for someone of his ability in that position. Similar when it comes to Rashford, given his performances this season. We hear of these rumours how we want an English CB. Then you look at the targets for our transfers and we seem to be limited to British players again.

As for my Brexit FC remark, it's more to do with all the idiotic talk of culture and how that's somehow more important than bringing the best technicians and winning football games. The amount of times people on this forum go on about influence in the dressing room, you'd think this is the most important thing. It's only secondary after you get the football on the pitch to the right level, yet we are somehow obssessed with this culture talks, as if we are some corporate shill.
I can't make much sense of this to be honest.

However, isn't Bruno one of the top earners at the club? He's surely on a lot more than either Jones or Williams.

Rightnr

I can't make much sense of this to be honest.

However, isn't Bruno one of the top earners at the club? He's surely on a lot more than either Jones or Williams.
Bruno's on 70-80k, IIRC. That's why we're trying to lure him in with a new contract.

T ome, it's always been quite clear we give British players a preferential treatment, mostly because they are home-grown. Still, we have players like Jones and Williams earning >£50k/week when Bruno is not on much more than that and he's supposedly a star signing.

As for my Brexit FC remark, it's more to do with all the idiotic talk of culture and how that's somehow more important than bringing the best technicians and winning football games. The amount of times people on this forum go on about influence in the dressing room, you'd think this is the most important thing. It's only secondary after you get the football on the pitch to the right level, yet we are somehow obssessed with this culture talks, as if we are some corporate shill.
Jones’ contract was clearly a misstep - but we did exactly the same with Rojo and recently Bailly.

I’m pretty sure we pay Pogba, DDG, Cavani and Martial pretty bloody well - no idea who our highest paid Englishman is… Rashford maybe - but you are looking for for things that aren’t there.

of course we give young players from the academy a chance. It’s both sensible business sense and part of our culture - how many continuous match day squads have we had an academy player in?

Secondly, we need to have a certain number of home grown and academy players as part of the named squad, and the youngsters outside of this provide valuable additional depth. Try looking at the nationalities in our U23s.

If you look at Williams, as you brought him up - I could toss a coin to decide who is better him or who had performed better out of him and Dalot. One came from the academy, the other cost nearly £20m.

You can’t build a squad by buying everyone in. You need a decent mixture of academy players, PL proven, and players from different leagues.

when we talk about culture, that encompasses attitude, winning mentality, mindset. Here’s four players who have it… Maguire, Cavani, Bruno, Rashford. Those are exactly the type of players we need. No more Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Depay, Lukaku and Di Maria types of players.

the four i mentioned have that nice mix of PL proven, academy and players from different leagues. We want more of these.

and back to Williams, and before him the likes of Cleverely, Richardson etc - they aren’t world beaters, but you need strength in depth and you need youngsters to come and and play games. It’s no shame if they don’t make it, they will go on and have decent careers elsewhere.

Withnail

Bruno's on 70-80k, IIRC. That's why we're trying to lure him in with a new contract.
Looks like he's on about 180k and the seventh highest paid, although he'll likely get an improved contract given his contribution.

How would a player like Bruno be one of the lowest earners at the club?

Rightnr

Looks like he's on about 180k and the seventh highest paid, although he'll likely get an improved contract given his contribution.

How would a player like Bruno be one of the lowest earners at the club?
I've read 70-80k bandied about. Where's the 180k coming from? My quick google search brought up £8m/year but I don't trust the papers on this.

As for why he'd be a low-earner, there was talk when we bought him we tried to be cautious and not give him insane money from the off, like we've done with other players. There was no guarantee he'd be half as good as he's been.

This is why I always thought he's not one of our top earners.

Withnail

I've read 70-80k bandied about. Where's the 180k coming from? My quick google search brought up £8m/year but I don't trust the papers on this.

As for why he'd be a low-earner, there was talk when we bought him we tried to be cautious and not give him insane money from the off, like we've done with other players. There was no guarantee he'd be half as good as he's been.

This is why I always thought he's not one of our top earners.
It's being reported as 150k or 180k depending on the source but now I'm seeing articles claiming his new contract will be 200k and this is doubling his wages so I've no idea now to be honest.

That bit at the end seems like sound logic from the club so I wouldn't be knocking them for that type of approach, if they were then to reward players with better contracts if performances deserved it.

Foxbatt

Romero was treated badly. Heck why not sell him to Everton? I mean he was not even our second choice keeper by then? Don't destroy his career. Obviously he wanted to get into the Argentine squad and good luck to him. He has always performed when called upon.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ok mate. It's perfectly normal to write that about someone who wasn't treated very well and who's wife publicly complained about said treatment and not mean to reference that at all. :confused:

He could just have said good luck in your new challenge.
:lol:
yeah it is.

unless you read too much into things of course...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The idiots running the club in a nutshell. No intention to use him at all this season but pisses away his transfer fee for Everton?
that would have never happened if our brilliant DOF Jon Murtough was at the club......oh wait.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I’d love to have him at Liverpool as our 2nd choice keeper instead of our resident clown Adrian who we‘re bizarrely planning on retaining. He’s basically the perfect 2nd choice keeper. Reliable and happy to sit on the bench.
I’d say he’s the best no. 2 gk, at least in PL. Possibly in the world.