Romero Romero where art thou now

Dr Foo

You could make an argument that Romero has performed better/ more steadily than Henderson or De Gea of past 2 seasons whenever he stepped in. Guess we are hoping that Henderson really steps up. Would have been good to have Romero around to compete as no. 1 or 2 and let another one go

Wilt

Always rated him as a very good keeper and fairly sure he’d have saved one or two of those Villarreal pens. I’d like to see him stay in the prem.

He’s been a good servant to the club and wish him well.

el3mel

It's not ridiculous when you have no idea what goes on inside a football lub
It's actually ridiculous indeed to keep players who aren't playing that much and getting money weekly just because they are nice characters in the dressing room. Last I checked we are a football club not a social one.

Mata has been of no use for United for almost 3 years now.

Siezard

Shame he left in the manner he did. Reliable back up, hope he does well wherever he goes.
He has not left yet.
I wonder what is Romero level compared to current De Gea and Henderson?
Romero level is higher i guess.
Romero actually made some errors in his early goalkeeping days for Argentina and other clubs. He also lost twice in the Copa America Final penalty shootouts to Chile. He has plenty of experiences.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we want to keep Grant and sign Heaton, surely it means we plan for one of the top two keepers to depart...
Or we are building a retirement house for goalkeepers

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He must be disappointed. Instead of him getting chances after years of being a reliable second GK theyre being given to Henderson. I know Henderson is younger so at least that makes abit of sense even if its risky. And now that De Gea seems to get worse, we seem to after another senior GK. What's so hard about giving Romero a chance and let him fight it with Henderson for #1 spot, if De Gea really needs to be replaced or sold. We're worrying about the 3rd GK spot so much when our first GK is still a big question mark. Lee Grant was supposed to be our 3rd GK and he didnt play at all. Even when Romero was the 2nd GK he barely played.

Castia

Yes it is.

He’s on De Bruyne level wages and has been finished for 2 years you don’t keep someone in the changing rooms because their a good lad it’s a professional football club for god sake.

wise_old_man

99% people on here does not know clearly what's going inside the club. Doesn't mean we don't have the right to speak out. Otherwise the CAF forum has no meaning.

demongod

The idiots running the club in a nutshell. No intention to use him at all this season but pisses away his transfer fee for Everton?

Siezard

Every club will make a mistake with transfers every now and then. For example, Arsenal lost ramsey for free.

Though Romero is a good player, his transfer fee isn't much. Time to move on.

Dan_F

The idiots running the club in a nutshell. No intention to use him at all this season but pisses away his transfer fee for Everton?
According to people in this thread at the start of the season, we shouldn’t sell to a rival. That’s Everton that finished around 10th.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We had perfect situation. Excellent first choice gk in Ddg and best no2 in league in Romero.
And managed to make a complete mess about it.

Amir

He must be disappointed. Instead of him getting chances after years of being a reliable second GK theyre being given to Henderson. I know Henderson is younger so at least that makes abit of sense even if its risky. And now that De Gea seems to get worse, we seem to after another senior GK. What's so hard about giving Romero a chance and let him fight it with Henderson for #1 spot, if De Gea really needs to be replaced or sold. We're worrying about the 3rd GK spot so much when our first GK is still a big question mark. Lee Grant was supposed to be our 3rd GK and he didnt play at all. Even when Romero was the 2nd GK he barely played.
I'm sure he's disappointed with last season. After that, now that he's contract is up, there's no way he'll sign a new one.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
I’d love to have him at Liverpool as our 2nd choice keeper instead of our resident clown Adrian who we‘re bizarrely planning on retaining. He’s basically the perfect 2nd choice keeper. Reliable and happy to sit on the bench.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm sure he's disappointed with last season. After that, now that he's contract is up, there's no way he'll sign a new one.
If we promise him a number #1 spot (with Henderson as his competitor) I'm sure he'll sign a new one. But yeah there's no way that happens. It's a shame. He's very likeable for me and rarely speaks about his situation, when he finally does he wants to leave. Oh well as long as the 1st GK problem is sorted I guess.... no idea who is going to be our #1 GK next season. But bringing Tom Heaton won't solve anything.

DannyDash

Every club will make a mistake with transfers every now and then. For example, Arsenal lost ramsey for free.

Though Romero is a good player, his transfer fee isn't much. Time to move on.
Stop making excuses for the clubs stupid decisions, he's a well respected player and we couldn't let him go for £4m last summer, instead we waste a year paying him 4m wages and he hasnt played a minute. Both the club and the player have lost out.

owlo

Funny how our manager will escape all responsibility for this situation, because hes building the squad and cares about the club or something, despite consistently screwing up player contracts/situations.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Are people really upset about our 4th choice keeper who hasn't been in the squad all season is leaving?
Christ on a bike!
Always a backup keeper, never a number one.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Are people really upset about our 4th choice keeper who hasn't been in the squad all season is leaving?
Christ on a bike!
Always a backup keeper, never a number one.
4th choice keeper not 4th best goal keeper.

Withnail

Does it? :houllier:
Sounds like someone wishing an old team mate well in their next job to me. :confused:
It reads like a pointed remark.

'You deserve to be treated well in your new challenge' would be a strange thing to write if you're not making the point that they haven't been treated well by their current club.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Wasn't even 4th choice, how could he play for us if he was in Argentina this whole time?
To be fair Lee Grant was here all the time yet he didn't play. Didn't we have the chance to sell Romero before the season starts? I wonder what stopped it.
Anyway in my opinion he was still our 2nd best GK. He was not the worst out of all four as some people suggested especially after seeing how DDG and Henderson performed last season. I mean I get it, he wants to leave and it's easy to say he's bad anyway. But really though he was not bad.

DoomSlayer

To be fair Lee Grant was here all the time yet he didn't play. Didn't we have the chance to sell Romero before the season starts? I wonder what stopped it.
Anyway in my opinion he was still our 2nd best GK. He was not the worst out of all four as some people suggested especially after seeing how DDG and Henderson performed last season. I mean I get it, he wants to leave and it's easy to say he's bad anyway. But really though he was not bad.
No, I'm not saying Romero is bad, on the contrary. Maybe I should have replied to the guy you had your post directed to, because Romero was removed from the squad due to pushing for a move out, he was never 4th choice.

I find the whole situation mind-boggling, to be perfectly honest. What was the idea of the management with all the GKs? Why would we need De Gea, Romero, Henderson and Grant all at the same time, whilst having at least a couple younger keepers on loan as well?

kiristao

It reads like a pointed remark.

'You deserve to be treated well in your new challenge' would be a strange thing to write if you're not making the point that they haven't been treated well by their current club.
Precisely what I thought as well when I read the tweet.

always_hoping

For such a reliable keeper he so poorly treated in his final year at the club.

Yet another situation that highlights incompetence of the owners and their clueless business men buddies over transfers.

Should have been sold for a few million last summer, instead kept on where he was not played and cost millions in wages and then released on a free.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What was the idea of the management with all the GKs? Why would we need De Gea, Romero, Henderson and Grant all at the same time, whilst having at least a couple younger keepers on loan as well?
I don't know honestly it looks so stupid :lol:
It started with Lee Grant and now apparently we're trying to sign Tom Heaton as well

Giggsy13

The club’s treatment of Romero has been absolutely disgraceful. He should’ve been sold last season.

DoomSlayer

I don't know honestly it looks so stupid :lol:
It started with Lee Grant and now apparently we're trying to sign Tom Heaton as well
I think Heaton is basically a done deal, so we are back to square one. Grant has apparently been offered a new contract too, so it seems the stupid decision-making won't stop any time soon.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seems he was treated poorly for little or no gain on the club's part.

I'm reminded of Evra talking about how he was treated towards the end of his time here, having his contract extension triggered without consultation despite having told the club he wanted to leave.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think Heaton is basically a done deal, so we are back to square one. Grant has apparently been offered a new contract too, so it seems the stupid decision-making won't stop any time soon.
Maybe the rule will change someday and we'll be able to play all 4 in the same match. During which they'll headbutt each other and end up conceded anyway.

Does it? :houllier:
Sounds like someone wishing an old team mate well in their next job to me. :confused:
"You deserve to be treated well in your next challenge" looks like a pretty obvious dig at the club to me.

Uniquim

Shows what the players think of our management.
Seems like a bit of a dig at the Club from De Gea.
Romero wanted to leave a year ago, but United blocked the move because Everton had such a good start to the season. He got upset, his wife went onto instagram pleeing for the club to return the loyalty Romero had shown by letting him move clubs. Romero later started training on his own with GK coach. Not sure how long that lasted for, but he went on leave back to Argentina for a while accoring to a Ole presser in February, but by then he had rejoined the senior goalkeeping group.

So De Gea is probably referring to that whole thing.

TrustInOle

Not understanding the disservice this guy gets! Was an absolutely solid number 2 who very rarely let us down when called upon, never moaned or complained. Don't know what happened to him this year, feels like the fallout from Henderson coming in, but no idea why he wasn't allowed to leave last season when we knew this was the case?

I hope he gets a run out as number one somewhere, feel he could still offer alot!

Romero wanted to leave a year ago, but United blocked the move because Everton had such a good start to the season. He got upset, his wife went onto instagram pleeing for the club to return the loyalty Romero had shown by letting him move clubs. Romero later started training on his own with GK coach. Not sure how long that lasted for, but he went on leave back to Argentina for a while accoring to a Ole presser in February, but by then he had rejoined the senior goalkeeping group.

So De Gea is probably referring to that whole thing.
Yeah, so it shows which side the players/De Gea are on. Not great for one of our star players to be making a dig like that.