Romero Romero where art thou now

Withnail

He's been one of the best #2s in the world for a while. It's just unfortunate we've got one of the other best #2s in the world coming back from loan.
How is it unfortunate?

At least we have someone who can challenge/replace De Gea.

I'd be surprised if Romero plays more than 10 games a season wherever he goes. He's done feck all but be ok against mostly mediocre opposition yet this best number 2 in the world stuff gets trotted out constantly.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
How is it unfortunate?

At least we have someone who can challenge/replace De Gea.

I'd be surprised if Romero plays more than 10 games a season wherever he goes. He's done feck all but be ok against mostly mediocre opposition yet this best number 2 in the world stuff gets trotted out constantly.
It's unfortunate for Romero.

Daonico

I agree with many here, he is not even close to being a top 4 frist choice goalkeeper, he is not crap (his distribution is though), but he is nothing special. He is great as a backup keeper though, he has good enough level for that, and he seems to accept that position without much problem... best solution for united would be to send him on loan for a year, and then back to being 2nd choice after one of DDG or Henderson leave. Not sure he would agree though.

I think he has been a good servant for several years, I would facilitate his exit if he wants to find a new club.

grahamo

We would have won those semi-finals with Romero in goal. His positioning is better than De Gea. His distribution is way better than De Gea. After helping us get to a semi final he deserved to play in them.

acnumber9

We would have won those semi-finals with Romero in goal. His positioning is better than De Gea. His distribution is way better than De Gea. After helping us get to a semi final he deserved to play in them.
Absolute nonsense. There’s not a team in the world that would Romero in goal ahead of De Gea. If Romero leaves to be a number one he’ll be lucky if it’s a team that even competes in European competition.

grahamo

Absolute nonsense. There’s not a team in the world that would Romero in goal ahead of De Gea. If Romero leaves to be a number one he’ll be lucky if it’s a team that even competes in European competition.
De Gea can be read like a book. When he collects the ball in his box he holds it and holds it and holds it until any chance of a counter attack is gone. When he does lump it upfield its almost always to the same spot. on the left just past the half way line and more often than not the opposition regain possession. When De Gea plays the defence plays deeper as De Gea won't come off his line.

acnumber9

De Gea can be read like a book. When he collects the ball in his box he holds it and holds it and holds it until any chance of a counter attack is gone. When he does lump it upfield its almost always to the same spot. on the left just past the half way line and more often than not the opposition regain possession. When De Gea plays the defence plays deeper as De Gea won't come off his line.
That’s cool and all. Doesn’t change anything I said.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It would be good to get him out on Loan to another Prem team if we're only going to get a small fee for him, and someone will convert his wages. Always good to play against someone's second choice keeper.

Is he retired from Argentina or just not picked?

Last edited:

ShinjiNinja26

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/carlo-ancelotti-eyes-man-utd-22598507

I know it's the mirror, hopefully they are right for once. We need to remove some extra fat from the squad and wage bill.

Edit: just popped into the Everton forum seems like their fans hope he comes in to be number 1. They are tired of Pickfords mistakes.
Would have preferred he went to Aston Villa and we could have some leverage with Grealish. That said he’s been an excellent servant for us and deserves to join a club higher up the table than Villa.

flappyjay

It would be good to get him out on Loan to another Prem team if we're only going to get a small fee for him, and someone will convert his wages. Always good to play against someone's second choice keeper.

Is he retired from Argentina it just not picked?
I think he is still active but does not get called up, which is weird

Leonzo1

It's inevitable that he'll leave this summer and I wish him all the best! He's been fantastic for us over the years. On another note, until he leaves our 3rd choice GK is better than Chelsea's 1st.

stepic

the quote is ‘wherefore art thou Romeo’, and wherefore means why.

Withnail

Is he retired from Argentina or just not picked?
He's not playing regularly. That tends to rule you out of international contention.

TheRedHearted

Always say that he is the best backup goalkeeper in the world. Crazy that he did not even play a single PL game in the last two seasons. It's rare to find a good goalkeeper so contented being No 2 but for the sake of his career, I hope he leaves to a club where he can be the no 1.
Honestly pretty insane. When we saw De Gea slipping a little he should have been given rest and Romero should have started. But since we’ve been playing catch up for so many years it probably wasn’t an option

rcoobc

The less Romero plays, the better he becomes :lol:
That's definitely not true. Back when he was playing, he was challenging for our number 1 spot. Since he's not playing, people are happy to let him go

rcoobc

Shouldn't the question then be why the hell was he getting chosen for Argentina if he wasn't playing for his club rather than why isn't he being picked now?
That wasn't my question, I was just asking if he isn't being picked anymore or it he is retired

Withnail

That wasn't my question, I was just asking if he isn't being picked anymore or it he is retired
Fair enough. He's just not being picked from what I can tell.

Ah ok. I don't think he was ever pushing De Gea for the number 1 spot, some posters on here saying he should get a chance after a decent showing against Astana or Partizan notwithstanding.

Withnail

mistaking wherefore for where is a common error, it’s not word play and certainly not a pun.
That maybe a common error but the title seems to be a play on the original given the words have been changed and thus the meaning.

I've now annoyed myself for even getting involved in this pedantry.

I've never rated Romero as good enough for us as number 1 if that makes you feel any better about my propensity to turn on players quickly. That's not something I do.
I feel the same.

Great no 2, and one of the reasons why is that he wasn’t good enough to be our no 1 - hence why he’s stayed for 5 years in that position.

He’s been the best back up that you could ask for.

Daonico

Romero was never pushing to be the 1st choice... the fact that De Gea in his poorest form was picked ahead of him in a cup semi final shows that...
Some fans were pushing for him to be 1st choice, that is a completely different thing.

I don't turn on him, I have rated him highly as a backup keeper, both in terms of his skill and his personality. If we wouldn't be looking to have both De Gea and Henderson in the squad, I would be all for him staying. But unless someone goes, it seems to be a waste.

If he becomes the first choice of a top club... it would clearly be a weak spot. There is a reason why after 5 years or so of being backup, no top team has come to lure him away...

Al-T

If he goes, he should go with the good wishes of United supporters. He's not the best goalkeeper this club has had but he's a long damn way from being the worst. I don't get some of the salty comments about him. He was brought in when De Gea was fluttering his eyelids at Madrid. When that didn't happen, he accepted he'd be back up. He may have thought he'd been recruited as number 1, as, dodgy fax machine aside, he would have been.

When he's been played/needed, he's been fit and available. And whatever the quality of the opposition, he's not let us down. He doesn't whinge or bitch. He's made no demands. He's been, in all respects, a model professional. If he stays, fine. If he decides to go then good luck to the guy.

You were part of bringing to this club a trophy we'd not won before.

DarkLord

Honestly pretty insane. When we saw De Gea slipping a little he should have been given rest and Romero should have started. But since we’ve been playing catch up for so many years it probably wasn’t an option
I was shocked when I looked up the stats. Honestly thought Wikipedia made a mistake. Been with the club for 5 years but only made 7 PL appearances. He deserves better. Would love to see him go to another PL club except the top 6 and Arsenal.

meamth

Did I say he wasn't a fantastic professional? :confused:

Romero has been handsomely paid for doing next to nothing in a United shirt and you want me to lick his face?

Great insight.
Getting up early in the morning, training hard every day for United, brought us cup success for the last 5 years....he did nothing? ffs. He did his fecking job.