Romero Romero where art thou now

Chief123

I’d imagine Utd probably refused to let him go to Everton as they are looking a potential threat for top 4. I don’t have an issue with Utd choosing to do so on that basis if Everton were the only option. We would all be accusing the board of stupidity if Everton pipped 4th ahead of us with Romero being one of their best players of the season.

Bojan11

I’d imagine Utd probably refused to let him go to Everton as they are looking a potential threat for top 4. I don’t have an issue with Utd choosing to do so on that basis if Everton were the only option. We would all be accusing the board of stupidity if Everton pipped 4th ahead of us with Romero being one of their best players of the season.
Everton have the money. They can pay.

Spurs refused to loan or sell their second choice keeper to them also, so not sure what @#07 is going on about. Shall we start giving players free to premier league clubs that can pay and desperate for a new keeper.

ReallyUSA

Anyone finding excuses for dropping Romero for semi-finals when De Gea was having nightmare after nightmare is bullshit. Straight up fecking bullshit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can't blame her. Feel for him. All these years was a complete professional, acted perfectly. We replace him as back up, and then block a move? Entirely fecked up behavior from the club. Them being worried that our 3rd choice goalkeeper will make an opponent who finished mid table last year be stronger than us really says they have other things to worry about.

Chief123

Everton have the money. They can pay.

Spurs refused to loan or sell their second choice keeper to them also, so not sure what @#07 is going on about. Shall we start giving players free to premier league clubs that can pay and desperate for a new keeper.
I’m not sure how this is a relevant response to my post. We know Everton have the money. I just imagine Utd didn’t want him to go to Everton due to being a potential top 4 rival.

C'est Moi Cantona

Our now third choice goalkeeper a threat to us getting top 4? I think I'm going to have a little cry.

Bojan11

I’m not sure how this is a relevant response to my post. We know Everton have the money. I just imagine Utd didn’t want him to go to Everton due to being a potential top 4 rival.
Read the tweet above. Everton don’t want to pay the £8m fee. They want a freebie, which we not willing to do. If they pay the fee then they get him. It’s easy to work out even for you chief.

Chief123

Our now third choice goalkeeper a threat to us getting top 4? I think I'm going to have a little cry.
It’s not that hard to understand to be honest. Romero is significantly better than Pickford. He would be their first choice.

There would be a whole thread dedicated to abusing Woodward at the end of the season if Everton got 4th ahead of us.

tomaldinho1

It's hard to truly portray with words just how bad Pickord is, any reasonable GK probably wins Everton double digit points this season. Romero is no Neuer but he's a good all rounder and would immediately improve them.

binary bot
Id be surprised if Everton were the only one in for him all summer. Trying to squeeze money out of a player whos been a good servant rather than accepting that nobody is paying significant money for a 33year old backup keeper during covid.

DoomSlayer

We should have let Romero go as early as possible, for basically any price. He didn't deserve such treatment and everyone defending the club for this behaviour is a dickhead.

Idxomer

It’s not that hard to understand to be honest. Romero is significantly better than Pickford. He would be their first choice.

There would be a whole thread dedicated to abusing Woodward at the end of the season if Everton got 4th ahead of us.
I don't rate Pickford but there's no proof Romero is better than him over a full season and he'll never be the reason for a club getting a top 4 or not.

Bojan11

We should have let Romero go as early as possible, for basically any price. He didn't deserve such treatment and everyone defending the club for this behaviour is a dickhead.
Would Everton give us a player for any price? Even if we wanted their janitor they’d want a huge fee.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't rate Pickford but there's no proof Romero is better than him over a full season and he'll never be the reason for a club getting a top 4 or not.
Romero might never be the reason for a club getting top 4 but Pickford could easily be the reason for a club missing out on it.

C'est Moi Cantona

Don't agree, if Everton really felt that and bid a decent amount we'd sell him in a flash, we're playing hard ball because the deal is pointless to us.

Romero has done well for us no doubt, but week in week out he would be a different player

RonaldoVII

Why? We're not a charity. Smalling positively contributed more than Romero has done and Roma had to pay the price. As do Everton or whoever else wants him.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's 3rd choice and won't play. Wouldn't it make sense to let him leave on a free and get his wages off our books?

Bojan11

Why? We're not a charity. Smalling positively contributed more than Romero has done and Roma had to pay the price. As do Everton or whoever else wants him.
It’s the human touch apparently.

The other clubs he was linked with were Chelsea and Villa. Both those clubs splashed out on other goalkeepers. So why should we give ours for free @DoomSlayer? So you can moan when he does well at his next club and say why we let him go on a free.

DoomSlayer

Name the other clubs.
Are you serious? :lol: You reckon every time a club is interested in a player, it gets reported in the media?

I'm 100% certain clubs would be all over a player like Romero, but not if we price him at something like £10 million. We should have sold him abroad if it's such a big problem for him to stay in the PL, get a few million and thank him for his services. What happens to him now? He's not playing at all this season with Henderson at the club as well.

Total waste of wages and leaving a disillusioned player, who was always a reliable top professional. We even got Romero on a free transfer, any price would be satisfying for the club since it also frees up space in the squad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We are probably not paying 8m because you've decided to give your 2nd choice keeper 100k+ a week in wages so United either have to do a cut price deal or risk having a player who is going to be 3rd choice keeper on high wages. United fecked it by doing the Henderson contract before selling Romero.

Also in regards to Romero not being that great for you or that he's just a backup - yeah, he is, but he's been excellent as a backup and fully deserved getting a chance in the latter stages of competitions instead of being dropped. His wife isn't wrong.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Can we have one Argentinian please who comes, plays and then leaves the club without all the unnecessary drama?
He got game time and was paid very well. If Everton rate him they should pay for him and if not then his wife can have a go at Everton, not us.
We are really badly run but no need to blame the club in the rare occasions where they haven’t done anything wrong.

Member 90887

And we have money but only wanted Dembele on loan...
Because we are after Sancho and didn't want to buy Demebele. How are those situations the same?

How can people not understand that we're not a charity.

Why would we let him leave for free when they fleeced us for Lukaku. They can piss off. He is worth more to us as 1 third keeper than leaving on a free. They just paid 30M for a relegated team's cb...

DoomSlayer

So you guys don't have sympathy for a player who wants to leave to get more game time because he is surplus to requirements? It's like we are halting his career out of spite.

Bojan11

Are you serious? :lol: You reckon every time a club is interested in a player, it gets reported in the media?

I'm 100% certain clubs would be all over a player like Romero, but not if we price him at something like £10 million. We should have sold him abroad if it's such a big problem for him to stay in the PL, get a few million and thank him for his services. What happens to him now? He's not playing at all this season with Henderson at the club as well.

Total waste of wages and leaving a disillusioned player, who was always a reliable top professional. We even got Romero on a free transfer, any price would be satisfying for the club since it also frees up space in the squad.
Get a few million from who? We got him on a free and he got a signing on fee for that too. No clubs let assets go on a free.

littleman

I'm OK with the Romero and the wife wanting to move.

Not really OK with the wife making it seem like MUFC owe them.

He's handsomely paid, it's not a good argument.

Ultimately it's Woodward's failure, it shouldn't have come down to this with better planning.

Amir

Because we are after Sancho and didn't want to buy Demebele. How are those situations the same?

How can people not understand that we're not a charity.

Why would we let him leave for free when they fleeced us for Lukaku. They can piss off. He is worth more to us as 1 third keeper than leaving on a free. They just paid 30M for a relegated team's cb...
And maybe Everton would want to bring in another keeper in the future but want a short-term solution like we did with Dembele? Who knows?

As a third keeper he's probably never going to play while picking up several millions. Let him go on loan and save some money.

We're not a charity, but we can be charitable at times. We got him for free, we have no use for him now. Fergie would have gone to Woodward'd office and kick a boot towards his face.

acnumber9

What was Ole's excuse for dropping him in 3 semi-finals? Especially as de gea was in poor form most of last season.
He’s the manager. He doesn’t need an excuse. I can’t believe there’s this much hand wringing for a mediocre goalkeeper.

Bojan11

So you guys don't have sympathy for a player who wants to leave to get more game time because he is surplus to requirements? It's like we are halting his career out of spite.
Yeah, Madrid should have let James go on a free because his career there was going nowhere.

DoomSlayer

Get a few million from who? We got him on a free and he got a signing on fee for that too. No clubs let assets go on a free.
You believe Romero deserves to be 3rd choice GK and basically not play all season, whilst we waste a shitload of money for his wages?

Bojan11

You believe Romero deserves to be 3rd choice GK and basically not play all season, whilst we waste a shitload of money for his wages?
I believe we should get paid a transfer fee just like Smalling. That’s how football transfers work mate. If a club wants a player they pay a fee. They don’t beg for a freebie.

DoomSlayer

I believe we should get paid a transfer fee just like Smalling. That’s how football transfers work mate. If a club wants a player they pay a fee. They don’t beg for a freebie.
Well, my ideas are totally different so no point further discussing it. My whole point is totally different as well, you seem to try and discredit it due to your own personal view of how these deals should be happening.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Can see both sides.

Obviously the club want to get whatever fee they value him at, which is fair.

However, it also sucks for him to suddenly be third choice when he came here on the basis that he would be second. Especially if it's true that he wasn't told he was being effectively demoted. That's simply not a nice way to be treated and chimes with comments from other former players about the way they were treated under this regime too. He'd be right to be irked by that alone and then to not be allowed to move would be even more aggravating.