Romero Romero where art thou now

DoomSlayer

Can see both sides.

Obviously the club want to get whatever fee they value him at, which is fair.

However, it also sucks for him to suddenly be third choice when he came here on the basis that he would be second. Especially if it's true that he wasn't told he was being effectively demoted. That's simply not a nice way to be treated and chimes with comments from other former players about the way they were treated under this regime too. He'd be right to be irked by that alone and then to not be allowed to move would be even more aggravating.
Exactly. It's not rocket science.

Member 90887

And maybe Everton would want to bring in another keeper in the future but want a short-term solution like we did with Dembele? Who knows?

As a third keeper he's probably never going to play while picking up several millions. Let him go on loan and save some money.

We're not a charity, but we can be charitable at times. We got him for free, we have no use for him now. Fergie would have gone to Woodward'd office and kick a boot towards his face.
Why would ''Everton wanting a short term solution at GK'' be our problem? I don't understand what you are trying to say here. We are selling, they don't like the terms, they can look elsewhere.

Romero was paid. He was paid gracefully. Even as a first choice keeper elsewhere, there is a good chance he wouldn't have been paid as he is here. So it's not like he was playing for free here.

Why is it that people in here are slagging our club (the buyer) for not paying the sum Dortmund wanted for Sancho, but when it comes to selling our players, they are slagging us (the seller) for asking for money, when Everton does not want to meet our demands.

The logic in this place is weird at times.

Irwin99

I wouldn’t sell him to Everton anyway, they are flying, why strengthen one of their weakest areas on the pitch
Everton are now considered our top 4 rivals ....how the mighty have fallen :( BTW you're right by the way, it's just kind of a depressing thought really.

Bojan11

Well, my ideas are totally different so no point further discussing it. My whole point is totally different as well, you seem to try and discredit it due to your own personal view of how these deals should be happening.
No point what?

Chris Smalling has been here a decade. Should we have let him go on a free?

James was going nowhere at Madrid. His career was dying. Should they let him go on a free?

Yeah apparently anyone who doesn’t agree with your views on this is a dickhead because you can’t comprehend how football transfers work.

DoomSlayer

No point what?

James was going nowhere at Madrid. His career was dying. Should they let him go on a free?

Yeah apparently anyone who doesn’t agree with your views on this is a dickhead because you can’t comprehend how football transfers work.
I think your posts are dickheads, for what it's worth.

Bojan11

Why would ''Everton wanting a short term solution at GK'' be our problem? I don't understand what you are trying to say here. We are selling, they don't like the terms, they can look elsewhere.

Romero was paid. He was paid gracefully. Even as a first choice keeper elsewhere, there is a good chance he wouldn't have been paid as he is here. So it's not like he was playing for free here.

Why is it that people in here are slagging our club (the buyer) for not paying the sum Dortmund wanted for Sancho, but when it comes to selling our players, they are slagging us (the seller) for asking for money, when Everton does not want to meet our demands.

The logic in this place is weird at times.
These same people are having a go at stupid Woodward for not paying the asking price on Sancho. But having a go at equally for doing the same as what Dortmund did.

Renegade

No point what?

Apparently Madrid did let James go for free.

Renegade

These same people are having a go at stupid Woodward for not paying the asking price on Sancho. But having a go at equally for doing the same as what Dortmund did.
It would be comparable if Sancho was 3rd choice RW with 0 chance of game time and a year left on his contract. I understand where you’re coming from though.

Bojan11

I think your posts are dickheads, for what it's worth.
That is because you got nothing to come back with because you don’t understand how football transfers work. Club sets a price and other club has to pay. It’s simple doomy.

K Stand Knut

Well, this is another embarrassing episode from some people.

He’s now third choice so we give him away???

For years, we’ve sold players for far too little or given them away and we’ve criticised the board/club. We are Now clearly trying not to give players away and people aren’t happy either.

Make your mind up!! A few days ago, people were practically wanting to knight Klopp for being able to get a good price for players who were never going to play for the first team and now some of you are demanding that we give Romero away because he won’t play for us.

I give up

DoomSlayer

It would be comparable if Sancho was 3rd choice RW with 0 chance of game time and a year left on his contract. I understand where you’re coming from though.
Romero is 33 years old and on high wages. Even if not out of sympathy for his desire to play more often, I would have sold him to get his rid of his high wages and free a place in the squad.

It's just a dick move from the club yet again. Rio said in an interview that Woodward told him he won't be offered any sort of contract or role at the club after the last game of the season. It seems this is how they do "business' behind the scenes a majority of the times.

Jacob

Always rated him. Felt more confident with him in goal over DDG.

RUCK4444

Everton are now considered our top 4 rivals ....how the mighty have fallen :( BTW you're right by the way, it's just kind of a depressing thought really.
I know mate. That’s what a couple of good transfer windows can do.

Still we finished 3rd just a few weeks back, we can go again and hopefully strengthen next window. All we can hope for really.

DoomSlayer

Well, this is another embarrassing episode from some people.

He’s now third choice so we give him away???

For years, we’ve sold players for far too little or given them away and we’ve criticised the board/club. We are Now clearly trying not to give players away and people aren’t happy either.

Make your mind up!! A few days ago, people were practically wanting to knight Klopp for being able to get a good price for players who were never going to play for the first team and now some of you are demanding that we give Romero away because he won’t play for us.

I give up
Romero will be a free agent next summer, so he will still go for peanuts in January or for free after the season ends. We end up losing more and pissing off one of our own players.

K Stand Knut

Romero will be a free agent next summer, so he will still go for peanuts in January or for free after the season ends. We end up losing more and pissing off one of our own players.
so surely Everton can pay peanuts now.

I’m not sure what the definition of peanuts is but £8m sounds like peanuts IMO.

Or, he can hand in a transfer request and I’m sure that’ll suffice to the club

DoomSlayer

so surely Everton can pay peanuts now.

I’m not sure what the definition of peanuts is but £8m sounds like peanuts IMO.

Or, he can hand in a transfer request and I’m sure that’ll suffice to the club
Okay, but why would you keep him after making Henderson 2nd choice? He's not going to play and we are paying him a lot of money. What's the point in that?

K Stand Knut

Okay, but why would you keep him after making Henderson 2nd choice? He's not going to play and we are paying him a lot of money. What's the point in that?
Because if they want him, they’ll pay for his services. How do you not get that?

But mainly because we keep doing it and keep getting our pants pulled down.

Why doesn’t he ask to leave if he’s so desperate???

DoomSlayer

Because if they want him, they’ll pay for his services. How do you not get that?

But mainly because we keep doing it and keep getting our pants pulled down.

Why doesn’t he ask to leave if he’s so desperate???
I can't agree with that. We should have sold him early in the transfer window. It's another bad decision by the board which will come back to bite us.

Romero is not even 3rd choice right now, Grant is getting into the squad for the cup games.

Member 90887

Exactly, the mental gymnastic involved here is crazy. We are extremely toxic as a set of fans.

K Stand Knut

I can't agree with that. We should have sold him early in the transfer window. It's another bad decision by the board which will come back to bite us.

Romero is not even 3rd choice right now, Grant is getting into the squad for the cup games.
Well, third or fourth choice isn’t really relevant.

I agree we should have sold him earlier but if people won’t pay the price, why should we.

Bojan11

How will it bite us?

You enjoy making things up don’t you.

reelworld

Embarrassing from the club really.

There's a clear line between taken for a ride by buying club and doing solid to the player that's been nothing but professional during his time.

dalriada

Romero was apparently given permission to rejoin the squad later, which is why Grant was on the bench for the League Cup games.

He's been the best second keeper I can remember and never less than thoroughly professional as far as I can tell, so if he does want to move, the club should be professional in return. There will be a legitimate issue, though, if another club thinks it can get him at a knockdown price because we have an oversupply of keepers and the club's entitled to say no if that's the case.

Nevertheless, I do hope the club is genuinely fair by him. He's in this situation not because of poor form, purely because we need to accommodate Henderson.

reelworld

Agreed.

But that's what you get when you run a club purely as a business

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We have a silly amount of keepers at the club. Our third choice is very well paid and better than many other PL keepers. Grant is good enough for that level too and we don't need him either. We have Castro Pereira out on loan. Then we inexplicably have Bishop and Woolston before you get to the very promising Czech trio of Kovar, Mastny and Vitek. Oh, and Carney, Mee, Guadagno and Polakowski of course.

I feel like we should have either sold at least one of De Gea or Romero, or let Henderson on loan again. Keeping them all is crazy.

No surprise Romero is pissed off if we have priced him out of a move, especially since we didn't pay a fee to get him here. It would have made sense even to loan him, though admittedly not to Everton.

UmbroDays

Everton would have bit at £5m.

I think considering he'd be 3rd choice with no viable chance of him playing a game at United, it becomes more about class and respect instead of business.

United have previously mixed both, but what helped us in the past was class and respect. I'm sure there would have been a number Everton and United could have agreed on. We don't need Romero warming up the bench and eating up player budget. If we were really wanting to get rid of "deadwood" we should have let him go at a lower price - especially since we've only sold Smalling.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Playing hard ball on Smalling is good because he's good player, Roma needs a regular centre back & if the deal is collapsed then we can still play him.

Romero is 3rd choice keeper now, Everton was looking for 2nd choice keeper that can challenge Pickford while we also have 27 players above 21 years old right now means we need to leave out 2 players from registration. We are not in any business to keep 3rd choice keeper with wages of 60k-75k p/w. That's like between 3m-4m per year salary.

I don't know what is Matt & Ed are doing here. They don't know when they need to play hard ball and when they shouldn't play the hard ball in transfer business either selling or buying.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
If true, £8 million for Romero is a bargain for Everton. They currently have a clown of a keeper that they paid £30 million for, and Romero would instantly improve them.
Everton might be out of the running now they've bought that other keeper, but hopefully we can sell him before the domestic window closes.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yeah, this doesn’t sit well with me. Romero has done absolutely nothing wrong, being a model pro, and on merit deserves to be one of our two main keepers. He essentially finds himself contracted to a club with no interest in actually letting him perform his job, because of the optics of either sitting DDG in the stand or being unable to find a buyer for him.

More short sighted business from the club. If he's on 70k as reports suggest that's 3.6m he's going to cost us over the next year until he can leave on a free, or 7.2m if we activate the option year. He won't kick a ball for us again. Let him go. We lose the fee now, or we lose it in wages over the next year/s.

I like him but i would have serious doubts if he were to be put in front of Premier League strikers on a weekly basis.

jackal&hyde

Can't blame her. Feel for him. All these years was a complete professional, acted perfectly. We replace him as back up, and then block a move? Entirely fecked up behavior from the club. Them being worried that our 3rd choice goalkeeper will make an opponent who finished mid table last year be stronger than us really says they have other things to worry about.
If the 8 mil price is true then it's a very reasonable fee to expect. If he didn't get his move it was because the level of clubs interested in him could not afford both that reasonable fee and his high wages. Had he dropped his wage demands he would have left. He is not a victim here; he gets paid more then most other clubs would be willing too.

hungrywing

We can sell him to Everton at that price (or even lower) without losing face IF Woodward weren't running the club.
That's not the case now. Woodward's dragged the club's name through the mud enough that we're surrounded on all sides by nothing but damned if you do damned if you don't choices.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I don't want to get into whole moral right/wrong of not letting him go or anything on Woodward as a general trend.

I don't understand how Romero is still on our books though. We don't need or want him at all from a playing perspective as far as I can see and any wages paid to him is a dead loss. I'd have thought the logical thing to do would have been to let him go for nothing and I'd be surprised if he plays another game for us. If he does play 1 Carabao Cup game that Henderson was due to play but couldn't because of injury or something I doubt the value of that performance would match what he's being paid for the rest of the season or until January.

I don't think £8m was reasonable at all for a 33 year old (which to be fair is younger in goalie years than outfield players), with a year left on his contract whose services are not needed. The market showed us that. If it was, someone would have paid it. They didn't so the price was too high and we're now left with an asset that's just costing us money and doing nothing else.

Craig Ward

you play your best GK in semi finals.
Romero was in better form than DDG last year

Being dropped for the semi's signalled Ole's intention regarding Romero. What a kick in the teeth that must have been.

DDG had a stinking year and did not deserve to play as Romero is our cup keeper and we should have stuck to him - he's never let us down

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I find it weird that no club decided to make a decent bid for him. Good goalkeepers don’t become available that often. Strange.

Mickson

Romero was in better form than DDG last year

Being dropped for the semi's signalled Ole's intention regarding Romero. What a kick in the teeth that must have been.

DDG had a stinking year and did not deserve to play as Romero is our cup keeper and we should have stuck to him - he's never let us down
FFS. This overrating of Romero is so bizarre. HE HAS! And he would do it again. DDG is the better keeper, and you play your best keeper in a semi-final.

youngrell

Don't see the big fuss. Sure it sucks for Romero but it's not like we went out and bought a replacement, we just had an academy player who is better than him return from a loan.

There's also no call from anyone for playing Chong and the like in semi finals after they have contributed to getting the team there. When you get to that stage, you play your strongest hand. It's only the fact that De Gea had a nightmare against Chelsea that there's even a debate to be had.

And I agree the club shouldn't be letting him leave for free to a rival. It's not like he's an academy graduate who has give us 10 years service or anything and requires that extra bit of love from the club. He's been a dependable deputy to De Gea and he's been handsomely remunerated for it, along with picking up a few winners medals.