Romero Romero where art thou now

SuperiorXI

Sergio has been content to be second best so he is right where he deserves to be. Third best.

If you want to be number 1 you don't accept number 2 like Romero has all these years.

macheda14

Sergio has been content to be second best so he is right where he deserves to be. Third best.

If you want to be number 1 you don't accept number 2 like Romero has all these years.
Or you could be a united fan and believe that a player should love to be at united no matter their position in the hierarchy. He’s been a fantastic professional and I wish him all the best - he deserves to be a number 1 for a lesser club.

edcunited1878

He's deadwood now. Last 10 months on his contract now. If he's happy to see out his contract and leave on a free, then so be it. But one would think he'd like to be a number 2 somewhere else or potentially a number 1.

DarkLord

Always say that he is the best backup goalkeeper in the world. Crazy that he did not even play a single PL game in the last two seasons. It's rare to find a good goalkeeper so contented being No 2 but for the sake of his career, I hope he leaves to a club where he can be the no 1.

Dr Foo

I feel for him. He has been a great professional, always reliable when called upon. I wished we used him more during De Gea's patchy form, it would have served all parties well. His ability warrants more regular game time somewhere else, unless he is really accepting of being 3rd choice

Chipper

Adulterer.
Number 3.

Is Lee Grant still here too?

I find Romero really likeable, might even be my current favourite player as I don't have an attachment to that many these days. Only thing I have against him is that time he and Rojo (I think) were laughing and joking on the bench when we were about to lose a game.

ReallyUSA

Still think he was waiting for De Gea to feck off for a chance to prove himself. Great worker for the club.

Still think he was waiting for De Gea to feck off for a chance to prove himself. Great worker for the club.
No I don’t think so. He’s happy to be a no 2, and it’s a role he thrives at.

He’s not good enough to be a No 1 at a big club, and even if he was, he’s not got the desire to do so - it he did he wouldn’t have stayed at Utd for 5 years.

It’s worked well for us, and it’s rare to have such a good keeper as backup for so long. Clearly DDG and Henderson aren’t going to both be in the squad for that long.

Perhaps he could be No 3 or go out on loan for a year and come back the season after once DDG or Henderson move on, and revert to No 2. However I’m sure he will now move on for a modest fee, and good luck to him.

Renegade

Is it possible for us to loan him out for a season. What ever happens next season one if Henderson and De Gea will be leaving next summer.

EDIT - Just read his in his last year so would be a free agent next season. That’s a shame. He should go find first team football for the remainder of his career now. We need to hope one of young Goalkeepers are ready to make the step to be back up.

Adamsk7

He’s only 33? For some reason I thought he was 36/37 or something. For the sake of the last 5 or so years of his career he should probably go and be a number one somewhere if he has any desire to do so. If not, I’ll happily keep him here. Hell I’d even give him a new contract and let him go on loan next year or ship Henderson out again (yes I know he’s gonna stay and fight, just what I would do). One of De Gea or Henderson won’t be here in a couple of years so having him around as backup (if he’s willing) would be smart.

Castia

Deserves to be a number 1 somewhere. Could probably get a decent fee tbh he’s a good keeper.

Wilt

Easily good enough to be a No1 in the prem ....Chelsea ?

GazTheLegend

I’d love if he joins Chelsea to be number 1. He’s nowhere near good enough to be a top 4 keeper so if Chelsea are playing him it’s only good news for us.
Think he's low key one of the best goalkeepers in the premier League and better than everything they've got there.

We are just ridiculously stacked in goal.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
You sure about that?
Controversial opinion, but Romero has to be one of the most overrated players on here. I usually argue against players that I don't like, which this makes it difficult as I actually like Romero and think that he has done a fantastic job for us. Yet, his performances, that usually happened against significantly inferior sides in cups, led some fans to believe that he can easily project this form on a whole season, which is not true. Like with all those late-sub goalscorers that have a fantastic goal per 90 minutes ratio, his stats are inflated due to a relatively small sample and a relatively low quality of the opposition.

The last season when Sergio Romero had played as a number 1 was in 2012/13, and that was for Sampdoria that got promoted to Serie A in a previous season. After that he had lost a starting place at Sampdoria, got loaned out to Monaco, failed to establish himself there, got back to Sampdoria and spent another season on the bench. His career for the national team is relatively impressive, but he doesn't have any even remotely decent competition there – and for context I'll mention Marcos Rojo, who had also reached three international finals with Argentina as a starter. I don't think that I need to comment on Rojo's ability.

You can think that he's a keeper that is good enough to be a starter for one of the top-4 teams, which would make him, by default, one of the best keepers in the world, but there's no evidence at all to support this opinion. Facts are, he hadn't been a starter for almost a decade, and haven't been able to become a first choice in recently promoted Sampdoria and Monaco.

Barry Red

So with Henderson signing a 6 year deal with does that leave Sergio?
Being 'third choice Charlie' is no good at all to a keeper of Sergio's calibre. He obviously should be playing in the first team of a club and IMHO he's better than most currently in the EPL so obviously should move on - either to another EPL club or abroad. It is widely suggested that he could go to the Villa in a part trade with cash for Jack Grealish which would make sense from the United point of view. Whether Villa are prepared to let Grealish go is another matter, equally do the Villa need another goalkeeper? All will no doubt be revealed should Woodward ever pull his finger out from up his arse and get on with things.....

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Deny thy chances and refuse thy goals
For De Gea does not, be but still sworn number one
And I’ll no longer be at United.

SuperiorXI

Or you could be a united fan and believe that a player should love to be at united no matter their position in the hierarchy. He’s been a fantastic professional and I wish him all the best - he deserves to be a number 1 for a lesser club.
Did I say he wasn't a fantastic professional? :confused:

Thats a very unthankful post.
Romero has been handsomely paid for doing next to nothing in a United shirt and you want me to lick his face?

State of this post :lol:
Great insight.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Everton were linked earlier in the window

neilv93

Surely offer to him to Villa as part of a Grealish deal, given Heaton is injury-prone and aging and they're left with that fraud Nyland and Steer. Could be a good deal sweetener whilst lowering our fee and reducing our wage bill?

GazTheLegend

Controversial opinion, but Romero has to be one of the most overrated players on here. I usually argue against players that I don't like, which this makes it difficult as I actually like Romero and think that he has done a fantastic job for us. Yet, his performances, that usually happened against significantly inferior sides in cups, led some fans to believe that he can easily project this form on a whole season, which is not true. Like with all those late-sub goalscorers that have a fantastic goal per 90 minutes ratio, his stats are inflated due to a relatively small sample and a relatively low quality of the opposition.

The last season when Sergio Romero had played as a number 1 was in 2012/13, and that was for Sampdoria that got promoted to Serie A in a previous season. After that he had lost a starting place at Sampdoria, got loaned out to Monaco, failed to establish himself there, got back to Sampdoria and spent another season on the bench. His career for the national team is relatively impressive, but he doesn't have any even remotely decent competition there – and for context I'll mention Marcos Rojo, who had also reached three international finals with Argentina as a starter. I don't think that I need to comment on Rojo's ability.

You can think that he's a keeper that is good enough to be a starter for one of the top-4 teams, which would make him, by default, one of the best keepers in the world, but there's no evidence at all to support this opinion. Facts are, he hadn't been a starter for almost a decade, and haven't been able to become a first choice in recently promoted Sampdoria and Monaco.
Very good post and you make a lot of great points. I'm guilty of overrating any player I enjoy watching, I can't judge his spells as number 1 for other clubs as I don't know enough about them, but Romero's been impressive every time I've been to see him play. He's definitely got some strengths that de Gea doesn't have, so perhaps it's watching for the things he CAN do rather than realising the things he can't that makes me rate him so highly.

Tiber

He has been happy to waste the prime years of his career as second choice, maybe he feels the same about third choice?

Realistically he should go start somewhere, but he should have already done that years ago

UncleBob

It's more logical than controversial, imho.

There's a reason he's been at the club for this long as a 2nd keeper

I'm not so sure we should be quick to get rid of him. De Gea and Henderson will be going for the #1 spot over the next year or two. One of them will lose and subsequently leave. Then we will need a reliable #2 again, and that's exactly what Romero is. If he is happy to accept a year of being nowhere near contention he will still have a spot here afterwards. Grant is 4 years older and the one we should let go next summer.

He's good enough to go and be a #1 for a mid-lower table club in any league but he obviously doesn't want that.

Mickson

I totally agree. He is extremely overrated. One of the most overrated United players ever. Can't believe people actually rate him as a top-class keeper, I sometimes wonder if they have ever seen him throw himself? Like a falling tree. There is a reason he never has been number one, like ever... And people think that Chelsea would buy him and he would be number one there, Jesus.

RashyForPM

That post you replied to was one of the stupidest I’ve ever seen :houllier:

Prodigal7

Romero has had possibly the easiest life possible. 10s of thousands per week to train at Man United and practically no pressure on him either.
What a way to live.