Romero Romero where art thou now

Craig Ward

FFS. This overrating of Romero is so bizarre. HE HAS! And he would do it again. DDG is the better keeper, and you play your best keeper in a semi-final.
You dont. You play your cup keeper in the cups.

DDG was in atrocious form last year - he done nothing to warrant keeping his place in the league yet alone the cups which he played no part in until the semi

It's not over rating - it's fact.

Dropping Romero for the semi's was a big "we dont want you at our club" from the club to Romero and he deserved better.

We should have let him go this window no question - poor from us. A complete lack of class

Romero was in better form than DDG last year

Being dropped for the semi's signalled Ole's intention regarding Romero. What a kick in the teeth that must have been.

DDG had a stinking year and did not deserve to play as Romero is our cup keeper and we should have stuck to him - he's never let us down
there is no such thing as a cup keeper.

DDG is the better goalkeeper, yes he made some mistakes, but he’s still the no1.

in the games that matter, you play your best keeper. It’s a ridiculous trend to play your reserve keeper in Semi finals or finals, am very glad that idea was ditched.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Romero was in better form than DDG last year

Being dropped for the semi's signalled Ole's intention regarding Romero. What a kick in the teeth that must have been.

DDG had a stinking year and did not deserve to play as Romero is our cup keeper and we should have stuck to him - he's never let us down
Romero was good last season.

Against Norwich he nearly cost us the game, which prompted being dropped.

I love Romero for his service here and general realiability, but let's not pretend he's prime Buffon.

THAT BEING SAID: The way the club has treated him in this window is absolutely abhorrent and honestly insulting. This is not the way I want my football club to treat it's players.

georgipep

I love Romero for his service here and general realiability, but let's not pretend he's prime Buffon.

THAT BEING SAID: The way the club has treated him in this window is absolutely abhorrent and honestly insulting. This is not the way I want my football club to treat it's players.
How do you suggest he should have been treated? The club should've accepted Everton's lowball offer (reported to be a loan for £2m)? Or let him go on a free? He isn't registered for the CL because he is expected to leave. I don't see the problem with that.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Murray3007

and how many times did De Gea Actually cost us the game ?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
and how many times did De Gea Actually cost us the game ?
Perhaps sometimes we can try ty make an argument that is not complete "whataboutism". I said WHY Romero was dropped, not if it was the right call or not. I merely pointed out that he is not this flawless demigod that's being insinuated here.

Dan_F

How do you suggest he should have been treated? The club should've accepted Everton's lowball offer (reported to be a loan for £2m)? Or let him go on a free? He isn't registered for the CL because he is expected to leave. I don't see the problem with that.
It’s something we always did traditionally with players that he served us well, whether or not you’d put Romero in that category I don’t think so. A loan fee of £2 million and getting his wages off the books isn’t so bad for a 33 year old back up keeper.

Murray3007

Perhaps sometimes we can try ty make an argument that is not complete "whataboutism". I said WHY Romero was dropped, not if it was the right call or not. I merely pointed out that he is not this flawless demigod that's being insinuated here.
he wasn't dropped for that, lets be honest, not sure anyone has said he's faultless at any point but he was more consistent then De Gea was last season, De gea being dropped for a month last season would have done him a world of good for me, instead he just constantly cost us goals

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Even forgetting the argument about class, keeping Romero and his steep salary on the books is just bad business.

He's paid more than most first goalkeepers in the PL. Why not get rid of his wages, get a small fee and prevent dressing room being unrest?

Just absolute no common sense or ability to manage a football club by the clowns in charge.

I agree to an extent. I don’t think that we should have sold him to Everton, I think we are well within our rights. I don’t know what they were offering, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was £zero

we should have been more than happy for him to go abroad or to a club that’s not challenging for Europe for free.

his agent should have been able to find him a club.

perhaps no one else is interested in paying him £50k per week to be their reserve keeper?

georgipep

It’s something we always did traditionally with players that he served us well, whether or not you’d put Romero in that category I don’t think so. A loan fee of £2 million and getting his wages off the books isn’t so bad for a 33 year old back up keeper.
Everton spent quite heavily this summer but want to get a discount deal from us? We are reportedly valuating him close to £10m. At the same time they are a PL rival. I can't see how and why the club should've accepted that offer.
I agree to an extent. I don’t think that we should have sold him to Everton, I think we are well within our rights. I don’t know what they were offering, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was £zero

we should have been more than happy for him to go abroad or to a club that’s not challenging for Europe for free.

his agent should have been able to find him a club.

perhaps no one else is interested in paying him £50k per week to be their reserve keeper?
Yeah, I would assume his wages are a big problem if clubs want him on a subsidised loan.

saivet

Everton spent quite heavily this summer but want to get a discount deal from us? We are reportedly valuating him close to £10m. At the same time they are a PL rival. I can't see how and why the club should've accepted that offer.

Yeah, I would assume his wages are a big problem if clubs want him on a subsidised loan.
£10m for a third choice keeper that has no future at the club, big wages, 33 years old and in the last year of his contract. £10m is a lot of money given the circumstances.

Maticmaker

Reckon he'll be sold. There's apparently a bit of interest in him.
Does he really want the hassle of trying to 'kick-start' his career again after all these years of being (probably) the highest paid No.2 keeper in the country, or even the world?
I suspect Sergio has been in semi-retirement mode for a few years now, never appeared to make any 'waves,' even when De Gea was going through a rough spell last season, well at least not in public, maybe he was banging on Ole's door... doubt it though?

If another club offers him a really good contract, over say 3/4 years with an increase in salary well over what he's getting at OT, and it suits his family, then who knows? Sergio and his family have always seemed settled in Manchester. I agree with an earlier post, if he keeps his salary, the fact that he is now No3 instead of No.2 won't bother him that much.

K Stand Knut

Does he really want the hassle of trying to 'kick-start' his career again after all these years of being (probably) the highest paid No.2 keeper in the country, or even the world?
I suspect Sergio has been in semi-retirement mode for a few years now, never appeared to make any 'waves,' even when De Gea was going through a rough spell last season, well at least not in public, maybe he was banging on Ole's door... doubt it though?

If another club offers him a really good contract, over say 3/4 years with an increase in salary well over what he's getting at OT, and it suits his family, then who knows? Sergio and his family have always seemed settled in Manchester. I agree with an earlier post, if he keeps his salary, the fact that he is now No3 instead of No.2 won't bother him that much.
There is no way he is getting an increased salary! Are you serious?

Maticmaker

There is no way he is getting an increased salary! Are you serious?
No increased salary, not from United, but if another club is willing to bid for an almost retired keeper who has been coasting for years, then to get him to move would I suspect require them to offer him more than he's on now at OT and extend his contract till he reaches his mid to late thirties. If they are desperate then its likely they would!

K Stand Knut

No increased salary, not from United, but if another club is willing to bid for an almost retired keeper who has been coasting for years, then to get him to move would I suspect require them to offer him more than he's on now at OT and extend his contract till he reaches his mid to late thirties. If they are desperate then its likely they would!
No club is going to offer Romero a pay rise.

It would be stupid to do so

K Stand Knut

If they were desperate enough they would, he's a good keeper don't forget...good enough to have been our No.2 for years!!
I’m not questioning his ability but he’s probably a top 10 earning GK in the league, there is categorically no chance that he gets a pay rise at his age.

Obviously this is all just my opinion but giving a pay rise to a 33 year old player in a 2-3 year contract would be absolutely mental.

georgipep

£10m for a third choice keeper that has no future at the club, big wages, 33 years old and in the last year of his contract. £10m is a lot of money given the circumstances.
I don't see the point in debating the valuation (especially since it's provided by media). The club has clearly deemed any offer received so far insufficient.

how much does Pickford get paid? Probably not as much as Romero.

I like Romero, and he’s been a dependable no 2. However, that’s all he is, and he’s been happy to collect a massive pay check in that role.

I highly suspect the offer from Everton was a low ball free transfer/ loan with us having to pick up a proportion of his wages. If that’s the case, then no wonder we told them where to go.

unfortunately or fortunately Romero is not good enough to be a no 1 at a top club. Even if he was, he’s shown zero desire to do so.

so effectively he’s trying to find another cushy no, where he can be no 2 on a massive wage. No surprise there were no takers.

I’m not criticising Romero for his time here, but I bet if he really wanted to go and play football, then his agent could have found him a club. He would get paid a hell of a lot less, but those are his choices.

Lentwood

I've spoken about our sentimental approach to transfers on another thread.

Most posters seem to agree there is no place for sentimentality or loyalty when it comes to transferring a player. Romero has been paid extremely well to do not a great deal for 5yrs so let's not feel too sorry for him.

If a club want to sign him, they pay market value. We have to stop being a soft touch when it comes to player sales

AsonUnique

Most posters seem to agree there is no place for sentimentality or loyalty when it comes to transferring a player. Romero has been paid extremely well to do not a great deal for 5yrs so let's not feel too sorry for him.

If a club want to sign him, they pay market value. We have to stop being a soft touch when it comes to player sales
I agree 100% about the sentimental part. Love Romero and want him to do well but we definitely should not giving discounts to other premier league teams.

The issue again comes back to our structure and bringing Henderson back into the fold, should have been working on a concrete deal to push Romero out beforehand. We have 500k+ a week of the wage bill on keepers. This seems to be the issue with our other overpaid squad players too. At what point is it worth selling them off cheap to avoid the salary. I don't have an answer and it is case by case but in Romero's situation his value will not be increasing, potentially Pereira, Dalot or even Lingard's could. While Mata, Jones, Rojo and Romero will only be losing value while costing us each week. With him being 3rd choice it is reasonable just to get the wages off the books as long as we ship him out of the league.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So Everton offered a deal where they would pay us 2m for a one year loan plus pay Romero's 4m salary and we said no because we want a 10m deal. WTF is wrong with our board? That would right away put an extra 6m in the bank for this year and we would give a great servant to the club some game time (which he won't get here). Zero class shown by Woodward and company...

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

His current value to us is negative - we are going to pay him and he's not going to play a single minute. Other clubs know that, hence the low offers.

Withnail

His current value to us is negative - we are going to pay him and he's not going to play a single minute. Other clubs know that, hence the low offers.
Also why we should have sold him if anyone was seriously in for him rather than holding on to a depreciating asset which will cost us what? 1m over the next year?

RashyForPM

As usual, leaks starts happening when results goes south.

Very soon you'll have more leaks about players being unhappy with the manager and it'll continue till the manager gets sacked.

We need to find the source of the leak and ship them out.
I think it’s the whole team agreeing to leak things, which is a problem we’ve encountered over the years. Apparently under Moyes and LvG it was Rooney and Carrick, but one is Ole’s partner now and the other has left.

Just the team trying to shift blame I think.

Renegade

Just another example of our piss poor planning. How long have we known we wanted to keep Henderson this year? As soon as that decision was made we should have told Romero’s agent to get busy. He 100% had to be off the books this summer. Now we’re paying him to sit in the stands.

ghagua

Romero deserved more. He was signed as a free transfer and never created any fuss about his status. He should have been allowed to move on either on a loan or a free transfer. 10 million for Romero? I wonder what Woody and whoever is smoking right now.

Dan_F

He’s 33
One year left on his contract
Been a number two most of his career (less than 200 club appearances total)
Probably on a bigger wage than most keepers outside of the top 6.
We clearly have no use for him.

There’s so many reasons why £10 million is completely unrealistic, especially considering we signed Telles for £15 million.

We’re well within our rights to refuse to sell/loan him to Everton, especially if they wanted us to subsidise the wages (but it sounds like they were willing to pay them in full). He’s not an upgrade on Pickford anyway, so I don’t buy the rival stuff at all.

Red_toad

I don't see the point in debating the valuation (especially since it's provided by media). The club has clearly deemed any offer received so far insufficient.
Club can't win when it comes to sales, gets crap from fans if we sell cheap and ditto if we demand a decent fee. Reports I saw stated we were looking for around 6 million, which is a fair market value in my opinion.

R77

He’s 33

There’s so many reasons why £10 million is completely unrealistic, especially considering we signed Telles for £15 million.
This. It's ridiculous. Possibly the negotiating team trying to show they're no pushovers and creating more problems. 10m for Romero is outrageous for various reasons.

Just another example of our piss poor planning. How long have we known we wanted to keep Henderson this year? As soon as that decision was made we should have told Romero’s agent to get busy. He 100% had to be off the books this summer. Now we’re paying him to sit in the stands.
disagree. Look how few transfers there have been across Europe this summer. La liga are down something like 50% on their spending.

no one could have anticipated Covid.

I seriously doubt we were asking £10m for him, that’s paper talk.

my take is that the only offer was Everton, and they didn’t want to pay all his wages.

he can still go to a championship team, but will need to take a massive pay cut. That’s the issue.

Member 101269

As usual, leaks starts happening when results goes south.

Very soon you'll have more leaks about players being unhappy with the manager and it'll continue till the manager gets sacked.

We need to find the source of the leak and ship them out.
Agreed; are leaks more a case of player power.
This. It's ridiculous. Possibly the negotiating team trying to show they're no pushovers and creating more problems. 10m for Romero is outrageous for various reasons.
Whereas, where will you get a player of his ability for less? I really dont think United would stand in his way with the right offer. It's unreasonable for his wife etc to say let him go. they disrespect united. They need to shut up, as much as pogba.

R77

Agreed; are leaks more a case of player power.

Whereas, where will you get a player of his ability for less? I really dont think United would stand in his way with the right offer. It's unreasonable for his wife etc to say let him go. they disrespect united. They need to shut up, as much as pogba.
Dan_F already nailed it about 6 posts up;

He’s 33

At least IMO, a geek on the internet, 10m if true, is crazy. Looking at those points there's no way he's worth that much in the current climate, especially with the position we're in with our bloated, unbalanced squad and wage bill.

I agree on the need to shut up though. As we can see in this particular case, it's possible it may not be an actual player or staff member. It might be someone close/family they vent to about the 'day job'. Fairly normal when things grate, though bleating to journalists just isn't cricket.

georgipep

Club can't win when it comes to sales, gets crap from fans if we sell cheap and ditto if we demand a decent fee. Reports I saw stated we were looking for around 6 million, which is a fair market value in my opinion.
I agree. Most fans would take any opportunity to moan. I don't really care neither for Romero (he can cry me a river about the terrible injustice he's been done while living the millionaire life) nor the club not taking him off the wage budget.

If the media didn't create so much (fake) content about transfers, player wages and club financials, people wouldn't even care. I remember in the 90s, reading the paper and only getting info on actual sport results and the occasional interview.

Media have had a field day since Internet allowed users to be bombarded by unverified content. And because people are people, it's a race to the bottom, quality-wise.

Chipper

Adulterer.

What do you think that term means?

He was available. Interested parties made contact/bids and the best bid received however much it was and from whoever it was is his market value as determined by the market. Market value isn't something the seller gets to decide on at all.

What do you think that term means?

He was available. Interested parties made contact/bids and the best bid received however much it was and from whoever it was is his market value as determined by the market. Market value isn't something the seller gets to decide on at all.
from what I see, no one was interested except Everton at the last minute, who threw in a low ball offer.

you are right that the market determines the market price, and this year with Covid, everyone is being cautious...

It’s strange to think there weren’t many takers for a reserve keeper on £3.5m a year (£70k per week, which is rumoured).

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Everton are now our rivals. They have a better manager, have had a better, more organised summer and are 9 points ahead in the table.

Their biggest weakness is that their keeper is absolutely pants. There is no way we should have been doing them a favour and giving them an acceptable option in goal.

It might be the only thing that gets us above them by seasons end!