Romero Romero where art thou now

Jezpeza

Everton are now our rivals. They have a better manager, have had a better, more organised summer and are 9 points ahead in the table.

Their biggest weakness is that their keeper is absolutely pants. There is no way we should have been doing them a favour and giving them an acceptable option in goal.

It might be the only thing that gets us above them by seasons end!
this. I was all for us letting him go but not to strengthen a rival. I dont think he’s a god but he's a very very good keeper. Dont want him shoring up another team

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Imagine being the Argentine, Sergio Romero, proud servant to the Kingdom of Manchester.

For years you toil under strife, delivering the goods when called upon to protect the net.

And then, the baron of this wicked land suddenly deems you too old and frail for this world.

Dejected, you wander aimlessly. What is my purpose? Who should I serve?

By chance you stumble on a frail maiden by the name of Everton tending to a rose garden.

All these years spent on the edge, never really finding your place but striving regardless.

And then this one looks at you, glowing embers of passion in her eyes.

You fall, but this time in a different way. It's confusing and a little bit exciting.

You head straight to the black-hearted one and ask to be freed. All this time, thinking your former conquests will be rewarded.

And yet, what doeth this man say?

Nah mate, can't let you go to a rival for less than £10m quid.

You protest. But Sir, you took me in as a stray and I served you well.

Sorry, our commercial interests dictate this kingdom, we've no time for compassion.

Melancholy washes over you like a wave. You begrudgingly accept and take leave of absence, wondering what will come next.

And thus concludes the sad tale of Sergio Romero.

Forever wandering.

Imagine being the Argentine, Sergio Romero, proud servant to the Kingdom of Manchester.

For years you toil under strife, delivering the goods when called upon to protect the net.

And then, the baron of this wicked land suddenly deems you too old and frail for this world.

Dejected, you wander aimlessly. What is my purpose? Who should I serve?

By chance you stumble on a frail maiden by the name of Everton tending to a rose garden.

All these years spent on the edge, never really finding your place but striving regardless.

And then this one looks at you, glowing embers of passion in her eyes.

You fall, but this time in a different way. It's confusing and a little bit exciting.

You head straight to the black-hearted one and ask to be freed. All this time, thinking your former conquests will be rewarded.

And yet, what doeth this man say?

Nah mate, can't let you go to a rival for less than £10m quid.

You protest. But Sir, you took me in as a stray and I served you well.

Sorry, our commercial interests dictate this kingdom, we've no time for compassion.

Melancholy washes over you like a wave. You begrudgingly accept and take leave of absence, wondering what will come next.

And thus concludes the sad tale of Sergio Romero.

Forever wandering.
And there we have it. Redcafe has completely turned into rawk

Maticmaker

I’m not questioning his ability but he’s probably a top 10 earning GK in the league, there is categorically no chance that he gets a pay rise at his age.

Obviously this is all just my opinion but giving a pay rise to a 33 year old player in a 2-3 year contract would be absolutely mental.
It would depend how much they value him and want/need him and what it would take to get him to move; at his age surely a last 'big pay day' contract has its attractions for him?

Although tbh I'm not sure, other than for 'a bigger pay day', why Sergio would want to leave except maybe to be back as a No.1 somewhere? However since his status at OT has never seemed to bother him over all these years, then why should it now? ?

OK he becomes our No.3 but still on a good salary.

K Stand Knut

It would depend how much they value him and want/need him and what it would take to get him to move; at his age surely a last 'big pay day' contract has its attractions for him?

Although tbh I'm not sure, other than for 'a bigger pay day', why Sergio would want to leave except maybe to be back as a No.1 somewhere? However since his status at OT has never seemed to bother him over all these years, then why should it now? ?

OK he becomes our No.3 but still on a good salary.
I’m not questioning whether he would leave for a pay rise, of course he will:

No club will pay him more than he’s on now. I’d go as far to say that no club will match his current wages.

Pearl's a minger

Can't really see his or his wife's issue, he knew when he came here he would be mainly sat on his arse matchdays and for years he's been ok with that. Now he's even further down the pecking order I'd of thought that would of suited him fine. Still getting paid a bomb to in effect just train most day's. It's hardly as if he's a youngster starting out in his career. Take the money with minimum effort. I'm glad utd didn't bend over for Everton,he's our employee and if they wanted his services that bad then they would of paid up...simple!!!

Maticmaker

No club will pay him more than he’s on now. I’d go as far to say that no club will match his current wages.
And I would say that some club would pay him more if they really needed him, especially if United let him go cheaply.

I agree I don't think he would leave OT for the same money as he's getting now, even if he was offered the No.1 jersey. However I don't think for a club desperate for a top notch (World Cup winning keeper) they would baulk at paying him more, its just could they afford it, that would be the only question any club thinking about it would need to answer.

RedStarUnited

Im curious why everyone is convinced Romero is on big wages, is this public info?

For me, I dont get why we kept Henderson. We could and should have sold him with a buy back and kept romero for the mean time.

Im curious why everyone is convinced Romero is on big wages, is this public info?

For me, I dont get why we kept Henderson. We could and should have sold him with a buy back and kept romero for the mean time.
he season has the potential to be our no 1 and puts genuine pressure on DDG. Romero never did.

it’s a good decision to have Henderson at the club.

K Stand Knut

And I would say that some club would pay him more if they really needed him, especially if United let him go cheaply.

I agree I don't think he would leave OT for the same money as he's getting now, even if he was offered the No.1 jersey. However I don't think for a club desperate for a top notch (World Cup winning keeper) they would baulk at paying him more, its just could they afford it, that would be the only question any club thinking about it would need to answer.
Excuse me, are we still talking about the same person??

World Cup winning????

Even if he was a WC winner, which he isn’t, it isn’t just about that. He’s 33, has played less than 300 club games in a 14 year career and less than 70 since he joined United, which is embarrassing.

If he goes anywhere in Europe, I’d argue that he’d be the highest paid GK on his current United salary bar maybe 10 clubs and no club is going to look at that and decide that they need him.

Affordability is not the only consideration. Is he worth it is another. Are there better options???

Lentwood

What do you think that term means?

He was available. Interested parties made contact/bids and the best bid received however much it was and from whoever it was is his market value as determined by the market. Market value isn't something the seller gets to decide on at all.
Well it is because we have to weigh up his value to us and also the advantage another rival team might gain from signing him.

Maticmaker

World Cup winning????
Yes sorry, WC finalist with Argentina in 2014, not winner.
He would still demand a greater salary to leave United, even if offered No.1 Jersey, somewhere else which is why in my opinion he will probably stay at OT.

Yes sorry, WC finalist with Argentina in 2014, not winner.
He would still demand a greater salary to leave United, even if offered No.1 Jersey, somewhere else which is why in my opinion he will probably stay at OT.
firstly he doesn’t want to be a no 1.

secondly, no one is paying him more money than he’s on now, be that as a no 1 or a no 2.

wherever he goes, he’s taking a pay cut, perhaps that’s why he’s never really tried to leave. How hard did he and his agent try this summer? Not very I would suggest.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Well it is because we have to weigh up his value to us and also the advantage another rival team might gain from signing him.
No it isn't. Market value is the price people are willing to pay for something on the open market. We valued him more than the market did which is why he's still here. Same reason Sancho is still at Dortmund when it comes down to it although in that case they have an actual use for him and the price was set at such a level where they were trying to discourage clubs because deep down they want to keep him.

Now there's nothing necessarily wrong with wanting more than market value, an asset can be more valuable to it's current owner to any potential buyer like you said or the market may change at a later date and something (or someone) could be worth holding onto to sell for more in the future. I don't think any of those really apply to Romero though. He's highly unlikely to play for us again so is just costing us wages and anyone taking him for nothing would be doing us a favour. Would also doubt we'll get improved offers in January although you never know, someone might get desperate.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

ESPN at it again. They're the ones who posted the lies last week that Grealush and Upamecano were our priorities in the summer we missed out on, when clearly Upamecano was never leaving after his club stated he would stay for 1 more season many mo ths ago, and clearly we had no interested in Grealush since January 2020 when we ought Bruno.

Ridiculous to think we'd sell Romero to Everton for a bargain price. When did they last do us any favours? Technically they still owe us around 100 million for taking Fellaini and Moyes off their hands for them.

Maticmaker

firstly he doesn’t want to be a no 1.
Yes, agreed, he's 'been there, done that, and has umpteen shirts to prove it'... before he joined United

secondly, no one is paying him more money than he’s on now, be that as a no 1 or a no 2.
Yes agreed again , but they would have to offer him more to get him to leave the cushy number he's on at OT

wherever he goes, he’s taking a pay cut, perhaps that’s why he’s never really tried to leave. How hard did he and his agent try this summer? Not very I would suggest.
Yes, agreed once again, which is why he wont leave until his current contract runs out, whether he's our No..2,3 or 4 keeper, or unless he does manage to get someone to pay him more for his last signing off on his career contract, maybe Everton or Leeds, the press seem to think they are interested??

He played every round apart from the final. Under Jose he did the same but played in the final. Ole dropped him for DeGea (who hasn’t been top level for the last season at least). I don’t understand why you’re defending what’s obvious on this one. But yeah take it to a Romero thread
I know Jose did differently, and I disagreed with that decision.

My opinion is that you should play your No 1 keeper in the important games.

Unless your number 1 is dropping clangers which DDG was at the time

anyway to the dedicated thread
this is the dedicated thread :D

I do not disagree That DDG Dropped some clangers, yet still he was our No 1 keeper. If the manager had dropped him in the league at Romero was playing those games, it would have been right to play him in the semi final. As he would be in possession of the shirt.

I fundamentally disagree with the concept of playing someone who is not considered the best in their position in important matches.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
this is the dedicated thread :D

I do not disagree That DDG Dropped some clangers, yet still he was our No 1 keeper. If the manager had dropped him in the league at Romero was playing those games, it would have been right to play him in the semi final. As he would be in possession of the shirt.

I fundamentally disagree with the concept of playing someone who is not considered the best in their position in important matches.
Which is fair enough but we first started debating when you said that he wants to stay, not play and just pickup his pay. Which is why I initially replied because it’s clearly untrue.

golden_blunder

Staff
Can't really see his or his wife's issue, he knew when he came here he would be mainly sat on his arse matchdays and for years he's been ok with that. Now he's even further down the pecking order I'd of thought that would of suited him fine. Still getting paid a bomb to in effect just train most day's. It's hardly as if he's a youngster starting out in his career. Take the money with minimum effort. I'm glad utd didn't bend over for Everton,he's our employee and if they wanted his services that bad then they would of paid up...simple!!!
Why is it so hard for people to understand that at number 2 you still get minutes in cup matches etc but as number 3 you simply don’t (hello grant! Who?)

he wants to play football. Why people are debating this I really don’t get. He’s been a good loyal servant and Ed has priced him at a silly price of 8m. Why? So we can continue to pay for an experienced keeper who will never play? What’s the point in that?

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Woah, if Everton is finally our rival, then we're so bad it's embarassing.

Since when is Everton our freaking rival?

We shouldn't feel concern of any players joining them. Geez.
What makes you think that Everton isn't your rival this year?

DoomSlayer

Why is it so hard for people to understand that at number 2 you still get minutes in cup matches etc but as number 3 you simply don’t (hello grant! Who?)

he wants to play football. Why people are debating this I really don’t get. He’s been a good loyal servant and Ed has priced him at a silly price of 8m. Why? So we can continue to pay for an experienced keeper who will never play? What’s the point in that?
Good thing you got into this ridiculous issue, I was basically called an idiot who doesn't understand how transfers work for being annoyed at the way the club has treated Romero. Obviously no poster would insinuate a mod is an idiot so common sense actually prevails for once on the Caf. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Woah, if Everton is finally our rival, then we're so bad it's embarassing.

Since when is Everton our freaking rival?

We shouldn't feel concern of any players joining them. Geez.
proof is in the table.
I am willing to bet with you that Everton finish above United this season1

Which is fair enough but we first started debating when you said that he wants to stay, not play and just pickup his pay. Which is why I initially replied because it’s clearly untrue.
I don’t believe he’s really pushed for a move.

seems to me the only offer in the table was last minute from Everton. I also suspect it was a low ball offer, either a free transfer, or a transfer where we had to contribute to his wages. We don’t know the story do we, just a tweet from his wife.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don’t believe he’s really pushed for a move.

seems to me the only offer in the table was last minute from Everton. I also suspect it was a low ball offer, either a free transfer, or a transfer where we had to contribute to his wages. We don’t know the story do we, just a tweet from his wife.
She’s never opened her mouth before so safe to assume she’s angry on his behalf so something has gone on. Actually you can read her explanation here
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.man...ster-united-romero-transfer-news-19062583.amp

This also supports the reason why I took umbrage to your original post that he’s somehow unprofessional, happy to sit on the bench and collect his wages. It’s just nonsense, so why don’t you row back on that and we can move on?

further, multiple sources say that he doesnt want a payoff (he’s owed 1.5m), he just wants to go. He’s got offers from MLS and his former club want him back in Argentina

K Stand Knut

She’s never opened her mouth before so safe to assume she’s angry on his behalf so something has gone on. Actually you can read her explanation here
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.man...ster-united-romero-transfer-news-19062583.amp

This also supports the reason why I took umbrage to your original post that he’s somehow unprofessional, happy to sit on the bench and collect his wages. It’s just nonsense, so why don’t you row back on that and we can move on?

further, multiple sources say that he doesnt want a payoff (he’s owed 1.5m), he just wants to go. He’s got offers from MLS and his former club want him back in Argentina
What exactly is he owed £1.5m for????

K Stand Knut

Im guessing salary/bonuses. I dunno
Oh, I thought because you mentioned it, you might know rather than just blindly quoting figures.

He’s not owed anything, certainly not wages and if he’s owed bonuses, he could hand in a transfer request, forego his bonuses and probably get a move. But he won’t.

Hence why I have little to no sympathy for him.

Nor the club, if I’m honest.