Romero Romero where art thou now

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Oh, I thought because you mentioned it, you might know rather than just blindly quoting figures.

He’s not owed anything, certainly not wages and if he’s owed bonuses, he could hand in a transfer request, forego his bonuses and probably get a move. But he won’t.

Hence why I have little to no sympathy for him.

Nor the club, if I’m honest.
Was just quoting several media sources, I guess they were told that.

golden_blunder

Staff
Oh, I thought because you mentioned it, you might know rather than just blindly quoting figures.

He’s not owed anything, certainly not wages and if he’s owed bonuses, he could hand in a transfer request, forego his bonuses and probably get a move. But he won’t.

By all accounts he’s asked for a move but it seems that united wanted 8m for him in the summer, that seems the only reason why he hasn’t moved on. He’s certainly not hanging around to collect wages as some are suggesting

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

He certainly is owed wages, that tends to be how contracts work.

Sylar

Agree with the part about how he can hand in a transfer request but wont.
The only bit I have sympathy over is that he should have played the cup semi finals (mainly FA cup more than Europa given that was during the season whilst Europa seemed like an after season tournament given what happened).

Having his wife do what she did was a shitty move imo. Its a way to express his feelings without doing it directly. Its like how players have their agents or family say stuff, but then can say 'I didnt say it' but arent really telling the other person not to do so or disagreeing.

wolvored

Im curious why everyone is convinced Romero is on big wages, is this public info?

For me, I dont get why we kept Henderson. We could and should have sold him with a buy back and kept romero for the mean time.
Suppose Henderson kicked on and became a superstar then said no when we offered to buy him back because a Barca, Madrid where after him for example. I think he has come back because he has been told he will take over the No1 slot ether towards the end of the this season, or next season.

Last edited:

RedStarUnited

Suppose Henderson kicked on and became a superstar then said no when we offered to buy him back because a Barca, Madrid where after him for example. I think he has come back because he has been told he will take over the No1 slot ether towards the end of the this season, or next season.
Crazy and kind of sad that we think like this. Madrid has no issues selling players with buy backs because they are so sure those players will want to come back.

K Stand Knut

He certainly is owed wages, that tends to be how contracts work.
I think ‘due’ wages would be a better expression. United are not behind with their wage payments, which the word ‘owed’ implied.

I got paid last night, which was my due salary. I am no longer ‘owed‘ any wages.

She’s never opened her mouth before so safe to assume she’s angry on his behalf so something has gone on. Actually you can read her explanation here
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.man...ster-united-romero-transfer-news-19062583.amp

This also supports the reason why I took umbrage to your original post that he’s somehow unprofessional, happy to sit on the bench and collect his wages. It’s just nonsense, so why don’t you row back on that and we can move on?

further, multiple sources say that he doesnt want a payoff (he’s owed 1.5m), he just wants to go. He’s got offers from MLS and his former club want him back in Argentina
what does that article show?

it actually suggests. Like I said that the only offer he got all summer was Everton on the last day of the window.

I have said throughout that Romero doesn’t want to be a no 1. If he did, then he would have made that clear at any point in the last 5 years.

if he really wanted to move, when it’s been clear all summer that he would be 3rd choice, then why didn’t his agent find him a club? Why was the only offer on the last day of the window to be backup at Everton?

do you think a club in Argentina or the MLS are going to pay his wages? No

my suggestion, and I’ve seen nothing to the contrary is that it was a low ball offer from Everton, perhaps even involving us paying % of his wages. If that’s the case, then yes, we are entitled not to let him go.

not once have I said he’s unprofessional, and don’t tell me to “row back”. It’s ok to have different opinions. It’s a discussion board.

He could move today if he wanted to, he can go to the championship. But he’s going to have to take a pay cut. Why should Utd be paying % of his wages.

wolvored

Crazy and kind of sad that we think like this. Madrid has no issues selling players with buy backs because they are so sure those players will want to come back.
I was thinking along the lines he might be miffed in being sold in the first place without being tried in the first place

golden_blunder

Staff
what does that article show?

it actually suggests. Like I said that the only offer he got all summer was Everton on the last day of the window.

I have said throughout that Romero doesn’t want to be a no 1. If he did, then he would have made that clear at any point in the last 5 years.

if he really wanted to move, when it’s been clear all summer that he would be 3rd choice, then why didn’t his agent find him a club? Why was the only offer on the last day of the window to be backup at Everton?

do you think a club in Argentina or the MLS are going to pay his wages? No

my suggestion, and I’ve seen nothing to the contrary is that it was a low ball offer from Everton, perhaps even involving us paying % of his wages. If that’s the case, then yes, we are entitled not to let him go.

not once have I said he’s unprofessional, and don’t tell me to “row back”. It’s ok to have different opinions. It’s a discussion board.

He could move today if he wanted to, he can go to the championship. But he’s going to have to take a pay cut. Why should Utd be paying % of his wages.
Romero and Rojo won’t go because they have no interest in playing first team football and are happy to get paid.
This is part of your post from the other thread that I took umbrage to. It insinuates that Romero is unprofessional because he’s happy to stay and collect his wages. How does it not?

This is the only reason I engaged with you originally. I’ve shown that he wants away and anyone that’s been following the transfer market over the last 2 windows at least will see that he’s wanted to go key football.

It’s come to a head now because he’s upset at being dropped for the EL semi-final.

he has asked to be released from his contract so he can move on. His old team in Argentina, the director has been talking openly about talking to Romero about coming back home but they couldn’t afford the fee & wages.

This is part of your post from the other thread that I took umbrage to. It insinuates that Romero is unprofessional because he’s happy to stay and collect his wages. How does it not?

This is the only reason I engaged with you originally. I’ve shown that he wants away and anyone that’s been following the transfer market over the last 2 windows at least will see that he’s wanted to go key football.

It’s come to a head now because he’s upset at being dropped for the EL semi-final.

he has asked to be released from his contract so he can move on. His old team in Argentina, the director has been talking openly about talking to Romero about coming back home but they couldn’t afford the fee & wages.
how is that not correct?

he wasn’t going to Everton to replace Pickford. but to be back up. Very clear by the fact they went and got some other guy when they didn’t get Romero.

in no way does it say he’s unprofessional. He’s been doing it for 5 years. He’s made 70 ish appearances in 5 years, that’s not a man that wants to go and play first team football is it? That’s a man who is happy to not play first team football and get paid.

I’d love a Ferrari, and I can talk openly about that too, but I cannot afford the car or the maintenance. That doesn’t mean that someone should just give me one, and pay for the upkeep on my behalf.

we all follow the transfer window, and seen zero to suggest he wanted to move in the last transfer window, and this year it’s a last minute more to Everton that we turned down.

if he reduced his wages, then he would no doubt have been able to have found a club.

golden_blunder

Staff
how is that not correct?

he wasn’t going to Everton to replace Pickford. but to be back up. Very clear by the fact they went and got some other guy when they didn’t get Romero.

in no way does it say he’s unprofessional. He’s been doing it for 5 years. He’s made 70 ish appearances in 5 years, that’s not a man that wants to go and play first team football is it? That’s a man who is happy to not play first team football and get paid.

I’d love a Ferrari, and I can talk openly about that too, but I cannot afford the car or the maintenance. That doesn’t mean that someone should just give me one, and pay for the upkeep on my behalf.

we all follow the transfer window, and seen zero to suggest he wanted to move in the last transfer window, and this year it’s a last minute more to Everton that we turned down.

if he reduced his wages, then he would no doubt have been able to have found a club.
how is that not correct?

in no way does it say he’s unprofessional. He’s been doing it for 5 years. He’s made 70 ish appearances in 5 years, that’s not a man that wants to go and play first team football is it?

You’re still at it.

1. he’s supposed to be on 70k a week. Hardly restrictive for PL clubs. What is restrictive is asking 8m for a 33 year old 3rd choice goalkeeper
2. He wanted to go on loan to Everton as he only had to compete with an inconsistent Pickford for first team football.
3. at United he’d been replaced by DeGea in matches that he normally would have gotten minutes playing in the last few years. Add on that Henderson is back and he’s suddenly relegated to 3rd choice with no chance of playing time. So he wants out. Does that strike you as someone who just wants to sit doing nothing and collect his weekly pay? Actually I don’t know why I’m asking you that because clearly that’s how you are interpreting it.

not sure why you’re debating this. you've insinuated twice now that he’s only staying for money when the truth is united refuses to loan him and can’t find a buyer at an 8m fee

You’re still at it.

1. he’s supposed to be on 70k a week. Hardly restrictive for PL clubs. What is restrictive is asking 8m for a 33 year old 3rd choice goalkeeper
2. He wanted to go on loan to Everton as he only had to compete with an inconsistent Pickford for first team football.
3. at United he’d been replaced by DeGea in matches that he normally would have gotten minutes playing in the last few years. Add on that Henderson is back and he’s suddenly relegated to 3rd choice with no chance of playing time. So he wants out. Does that strike you as someone who just wants to sit doing nothing and collect his weekly pay? Actually I don’t know why I’m asking you that because clearly that’s how you are interpreting it.

not sure why you’re debating this. you've insinuated twice now that he’s only staying for money when the truth is united refuses to loan him and can’t find a buyer at an 8m fee
unfortunately you are going off of unsubstantiated reports, in terms of transfer fees.

i think £70k per week for a reserve keeper who is not good enough to be a no 1 is massive for most clubs. Do you really think Everton were going to pay all of his wages?

let’s be clear. If he wants to move, he needs to take a pay cut. There’s no other club in the world who will pay him what we do. £70k per week is not chump change, and higher than most first team players at Everton I would strongly suggest.

So the likelihood is that Everton wanted him on a loan, and for us to pay a % of his wage. Why would we do that?

One of the stumbling blocks may be a transfer, but you can clearly see the other big one is his wages.

if he accepted a 50% pay cut do you think he could have got a move this summer? I do.

golden_blunder

Staff
unfortunately you are going off of unsubstantiated reports, in terms of transfer fees.

i think £70k per week for a reserve keeper who is not good enough to be a no 1 is massive for most clubs. Do you really think Everton were going to pay all of his wages?

let’s be clear. If he wants to move, he needs to take a pay cut. There’s no other club in the world who will pay him what we do. £70k per week is not chump change, and higher than most first team players at Everton I would strongly suggest.

So the likelihood is that Everton wanted him on a loan, and for us to pay a % of his wage. Why would we do that?

One of the stumbling blocks may be a transfer, but you can clearly see the other big one is his wages.

if he accepted a 50% pay cut do you think he could have got a move this summer? I do.
Well he’s hardly going to talk about wages with someone if his club won’t compromise on the ridiculous road block transfer fee they are demanding. You’re thinking about this backwards

you keep focusing on Everton, ive given you one other solid fact that he is wanted back in Argentina too. Villa considered him as did Leeds. The simple fact is nobody is going to pay 8m for a 33year old 3rd choice keeper. It’s stupid

and yes I do think Everton were willing to pay wages

Writing in The Athletic, Ornstein says Everton were willing to take Romero on a season-long loan from United, covering the entirety of his wage packet and throwing in a £2m loan fee on top. United knocked back the offer, holding out for a one-off fee of £8m to take Romero, who is now in the final year of his contract at United, on a permanent basis.

saivet

According to The Athletic they were willing to pay 100% of his wages.

Well he’s hardly going to talk about wages with someone if his club won’t compromise on the ridiculous road block transfer fee they are demanding. You’re thinking about this backwards

you keep focusing on Everton, ive given you one other solid fact that he is wanted back in Argentina too. Villa considered him as did Leeds. The simple fact is nobody is going to pay 8m for a 33year old 3rd choice keeper. It’s stupid
a club in Argentina isint going to be able to pay him anything near £70k per week are they?

By the same account Villa and Leeds aren’t paying that salary for him.

all I’ve said, is that if he really wanted to move, he could have done so by agreeing to a lower salary. That’s really obvious. It’s suboptimal for both the player and the club.

Let’s leave it here, it’s very boring now.

golden_blunder

Staff
fair enough, but on a free loan? Still not a good deal for United. Like it or not, Everton are a rival for European spots this season.
Do you ever read what’s put in front of you? They agreed to pay his salary + 2m loan fee to United. United refused late on because they want an 8m sale only. Hence the player is pissed.

All that’s going to happen now unless they backtrack on their stance is that he WILL sit and collect wages (because he has no other option) and united are paying needlessly. Then he will leave for free in a year when his contract expires. You’d think getting 2m+ salary off the payroll would equate to enough to let him go but hey, greedy United. And you’re sitting here blaming the player

Do you ever read what’s put in front of you? They agreed to pay his salary + 2m loan fee to United. United refused late on because they want an 8m sale only. Hence the player is pissed.

All that’s going to happen now unless they backtrack on their stance is that he WILL sit and collect wages (because he has no other option) and united are paying needlessly. Then he will leave for free in a year when his contract expires. You’d think getting 2m+ salary off the payroll would equate to enough to let him go but hey, greedy United. And you’re sitting here blaming the player
for a start, we should take everything in terms of figures with a pinch of salt. First I’ve heard of a loan fee.

clearly the player takes some blame, like I said if his other offer was to Argentina, he would need to take a pay cut. He has all summer to get a transfer, and the only concrete offer comes on transfer deadline day

Loaning the player to a rival is not in the best interests of the club.

I said I wouldn’t reply. Bugger I did. Have the last word if you like. I’m out, and not interested in replying. It’s really boring, we have a difference of opinion.

golden_blunder

Staff
We know there is an 8m figure to sell

we don’t know if Romero will or won’t drop his salary to move. I suspect he will as he’s supposed to have said he’d let the money owed from contract slide if he’s given a free

anyway I too am bored

Pearl's a minger

Why is it so hard for people to understand that at number 2 you still get minutes in cup matches etc but as number 3 you simply don’t (hello grant! Who?)

he wants to play football. Why people are debating this I really don’t get. He’s been a good loyal servant and Ed has priced him at a silly price of 8m. Why? So we can continue to pay for an experienced keeper who will never play? What’s the point in that?
Ok,say for instance say like this season United have champions league football with the chances of having qualification sewn up before the last game being pretty remote ( hope I'm wrong ).Romero's chances of a game are pretty remote. So that leaves him league cup and FA cup,both of which we could of in theory be knocked out of early doors so he wants to play football but only gets 2 guaranteed games barring injury or suspension. Now the likelihood of that happening is remote but it could happen. What I'm saying is,he's obviously been happy with the odd game here and there and by being demoted to third choice I understand it reduces his chances further but he's been here 5 years and I'd be willing to bet he's only played 50-70 games for the club so I'd say he's more interested in one last pay day rather than game time.

golden_blunder

Staff
Ok,say for instance say like this season United have champions league football with the chances of having qualification sewn up before the last game being pretty remote ( hope I'm wrong ).Romero's chances of a game are pretty remote. So that leaves him league cup and FA cup,both of which we could of in theory be knocked out of early doors so he wants to play football but only gets 2 guaranteed games barring injury or suspension. Now the likelihood of that happening is remote but it could happen. What I'm saying is,he's obviously been happy with the odd game here and there and by being demoted to third choice I understand it reduces his chances further but he's been here 5 years and I'd be willing to bet he's only played 50-70 games for the club so I'd say he's more interested in one last pay day rather than game time.
Nonsense. No one is going to pay him the same or more than he’s in now.

Pearl's a minger

Nonsense. No one is going to pay him the same or more than he’s in now.
He might be after a significant signing on fee to offset lost wages. I just find it strange how at 33 years old (I think) he now decides he needs to be playing regularly even though he probably averaged 8-12 games a season for the last half decade.

golden_blunder

Staff
He might be after a significant signing on fee to offset lost wages. I just find it strange how at 33 years old (I think) he now decides he needs to be playing regularly even though he probably averaged 8-12 games a season for the last half decade.
I really don’t think that money is a motivation. He allegedly offered to forget about money owed (around 1.5m) if he’s released from his contract.
I believe he’s become disenchanted after being dropped for the EL semi-final after a few seasons where they were almost his guaranteed playing time. He knows he has no chance now he’s up against DDG and Henderson. Grant was our 3rd choice keeper before and was never seen.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There's a fair difference between being part of the team and playing 10 or so games a season (an amount that was keeping him as the Argentinian #1 for most of it) and not having a hope in hell of playing a single game. Especially as previously he was still starting some of the semi-finals and finals in the comps he was playing in.

Machine Elements

We've made huge mistakes in goalkeeping department in the last 12-13 months imo. First we gave De Gea an incredibly stupid contract à la Moyes gave Rooney in 2014 when he's clearly been on the decline since May 2018 and cost us many points & a Champions League qualification in 18-19 with his dogshit performances.

Then we alienated Romero, didn't play him in the games he clearly deserved to play (I could even understand the argument that "you play your best keeper in crucial stages" if De Gea was at his best like in 17-18 when Jose played him over Romero in 2018 FA Cup final but not only De Gea was far away from his best but also making stupid and costly mistakes consistently. Not to mention Romero won us Europa League before and never let us down in important games so he definitely deserved to play those games). Another masterclass from our "great man manager".

Then we got Henderson back, also gave him a big contract which didn't make any sense as eventually one of him or De Gea will want to leave (like Casillas-Navas, Navas-Courtois, Courtois-Cech etc.) as both want to be no 1 and won't be content with being no 2 and their high salaries will probably mean it's too difficult to move them on. So basically we're stuck with them. We did this while completely shunting Romero out. Probably the only player in the squad who can keep his head up with his performances in the last 5 years.

And finally we even prevented him from leaving and didn't include him in the CL squad list which is disgusting treatment whichever way you look at it and made players in the squad upset understandably. I don't think we could've managed this goalkeeping situation worse than we did even if we tried.

A proactive and an ambitious club would've sold both Henderson & De Gea and bought a top keeper like Oblak with Romero remaining as no 2 instead of waiting to assess their keepers whether they are (still) good enough. But since we've been the exact opposite of "proactive" in the last 10 years as a club, as you can imagine we decided to wait a couple of more years to find out that De Gea's on the decline and Henderson's probably not good enough to be no 1 at United.

Romero shouldn't have been treated this way and he was never a problem in our squad. He was in fact the perfect keeper for the no 2 role but no, we decided to change our immaculate back up keeper when the problem was our first choice keeper. Now we have two keepers on high wages and who want to be no 1 which is not the ideal situation. IMO De Gea already had his peak in 2018 and while I think Henderson will end up being a good PL level keeper in the future like Howard, Foster, Heaton etc. were, I don't think he will make it at United as no 1 like those keepers failed to do so.

If I were the Man United manager last summer, I would've sold Henderson to a Premier League club like Chelsea, Sheffield United, Everton, Aston Villa etc. for a good money when his stock is high possibly with a buy back clause. Would've added that money on top of De Gea and knock at Atletico's door for Oblak. I think he would've been interested in a move to Premier League (especially when we got back to CL) and if Atletico can't afford his salary then add a bit of money too. Would've kept Romero as our no 2 and promote Kovar as the 3rd keeper. But we will probably try that in 2023 when everything is so obvious.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
His situation is just odd.
Granted he's slightly overrated on here but he's still a solid Keeper, alot better than the majority of the bottom half of the table. Surely he wants game-time.

Mickson

Easy to say in hindsight, but United should've loaned him/sold him when they had the chance in October instead of paying his huge salary for a year without using him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Gutted to see him leave. I preferred him to De Gea due to the way he controlled his box.

Deery

Dreary
Joel Pereira is gone too, but feck me another year of Juan Mata seriously his legs are long gone..

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Stupid not to let him leave last summer, whatever so called derisory fee we may have got for him surely would have been better than paying his wages while he was sat in Argentina for a year

tomaldinho1

Easy to say in hindsight, but United should've loaned him/sold him when they had the chance in October instead of paying his huge salary for a year without using him.
That was one of the weirdest decisions by the club - Everton wanted him and we blocked the move...

pascell

Terribly treated, should've allowed him the loan to Everton last summer. Got told we don't loan to domestic rivals and then loan Lingard to West Ham six months later.