RonalBooooooooo!!

Withnail

When the Ireland fans booed Ronaldo it was a bit odd but felt like a pantomime. He got the same stick from Villareal last night.

It’s a bit weird, isn’t it? Why’s he getting so many boo’s? Any other examples of supremely talented footballers being booed for no obvious reason?

Boos, boo’s, booed.. Tricky spellings.
If it's an Irish crowd it's more than likely pantomime stuff but he'd cast himwlf as the villain a few weeks earlier with those two late goals to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and break our hearts.

No idea what the crack was with Villarreal but he's probably scored a hatful against them over the years.

Dante

Average bang
I think every set of fans hates a handful of players at other clubs. Usually because those players have done something 'egregious' in the past like cause an injury, or dived to get a penalty, or scored lots of goals against them, or been a scouser.

I'm guessing the second last of these is most applicable with Ronaldo. The majority of fans in La Liga must have PTSD after watching him break every record in football against them over the course of a decade.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think every club hates a handful of players at other clubs. Usually because those players have done something 'egregious' in the past like cause an injury, or dived to get a penalty, or simply scored lots of goals against them, or be a scouser.

I'm guessing the second last of these is most applicable with Ronaldo. The majority of fans in La Liga must have PTSD after watching him break every record in football against them over the course of a decade.
Can you name any Premier Lesgue footballer, past or present, who was routinely booed by opposition fans because they were such a prolific goalscorer?

Paranoid Android

Lewis Hamilton sometimes gets booed, recently at a track post race he was being interviewed and booed and he said something like "I don't mind you booing me because I know what you cheer". Was in some right wing horrible country. Thought it was a good response tbf.
That's from Rick and Morty :lol:

Dante

Average bang
Can you name any Premier Lesgue footballer, past or present, who was routinely booed by opposition fans because they were such a prolific goalscorer?
Fair point. He does get it worse than most.

But I think the impulse is always there, even with the likes of Shearer, Henry or Aguero. It could be Ronaldo's very public narcissism that pushes it over the edge. Then once you have a critical mass doing it in a stadium, everyone joins in.

acnumber9

Why are people more jealous of him than, they were of say, Messi? Or Ronaldinho? Or Mbappé? Or Zidane? etc
In England it’s because Ronaldo won titles for United. What Messi has won means less to English fans. Plus he’s a bit of a moany twat on the pitch. So is Messi but he seems to get off lighter. Perceptions I suppose.

Used to get boo’d all the time with us in 2006-2009. Firstly cos of the World Cup and then because how fecking good he became.

MalaysianRed7

In his first spell here, he said the famous words “maybe they hate me because I’m too good”. Needless to say, he’s only gotten better since then.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
The best bit about the Ireland booing was the immediate celebration and applause when he gave a young fan his jersey. Proving that the booing is a sort of worship in a weird way
Yep.

Dan_F

I mean he is an alleged rapist…
I’m surprised it took almost a full page before it was mentioned. Although that would rely on football fans (collectively) actually having some kind of morals. The peak of this being City fans singing about Ronaldo being a sex offender, when they have Mendy on the books and the historical child abuse stuff at their club.

Irwin99

"When you hear accusations of cheating how do you feel?"

"I feel good"

:lol:
People forget what an absolute cnut Southgate was to Ronaldo at that time, accusing him of diving all the time in the press. Ronnie was just putting him and his crap club in place with that interview :D

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
People forget what an absolute cnut Southgate was to Ronaldo at that time, accusing him of diving all the time in the press. Ronnie was just putting him and his crap club in place with that interview :D
Never forget

Moriarty

Best used to get the same treatment. Opposition fans were always barracking him but it never seemed to worry him. I remeber one game at Elland Road where the Leeds fans were on his back. Best scored twice and even the Leeds fans had to applaud him.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I’m surprised it took almost a full page before it was mentioned. Although that would rely on football fans (collectively) actually having some kind of morals. The peak of this being City fans singing about Ronaldo being a sex offender, when they have Mendy on the books and the historical child abuse stuff at their club.
It's somewhat disappointing that this fact is lost, and ignored, by the majority of our fans and posters in this thread. That being said, I'd be surprised if that's why other fans boo him anyway to be honest.

SirAF

Ageist
It's somewhat disappointing that this fact is lost, and ignored, by the majority of our fans and posters in this thread. That being said, I'd be surprised if that's why other fans boo him anyway to be honest.
Why? He has not been found guilty of anything. Any debate is just going to descend into guesswork, gossip and «he said, she said».

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Cos he's an awful prick and the most likely reason you're going to lose when he's playing against you?

Also at a live game it doesn't take much at all for fans to zone in on you as the villain of the day to be fair, something as innocuous as contesting a throw in with the ref can get the boos rolling in.

laughtersassassin

For the Ireland fans it's was a joke really. Also it was after a game where he should have been sent off then scored 2 to win the game. Hardly surprising in the next game they jeer him is it?

Villarreal probably because he tortured them for years.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Why? He has not been found guilty of anything. Any debate is just going to descend into guesswork, gossip and «he said, she said».
Not going to get into it here, as you say there's no point. But if you look at the actual thread where it's discussed, there's plenty of reason to be disappointed.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Players who have a certain swagger and ‘villainous’ vibe to them — the Ronaldo’s, Pogba’s, Ibrahimovic’s etc. tend to get the boos. Someone boringly clean cut (at least prima-facie) like Messi probably doesn’t ever.
Ironically, I like these sort of players much more - what's the point in supporting a clean cut boring athlete with no persona about them?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ironically, I like these sort of players much more - what's the point in supporting a clean cut boring athlete with no persona about them?
I think I support these types of players because the amount of criticism they get is just totally over the top. Neymar's another one I forgot to add there. Football fans love a narrative, and once one sticks on a player it's so hard to scrub off.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I happen to dislike people who are alleged rapists.

RUCK4444

Not going to get into it here, as you say there's no point. But if you look at the actual thread where it's discussed, there's plenty of reason to be disappointed.
Are we supposed to all turn our backs on him and hate him because he’s not been found guilty of something?

Let’s not get into the whole debate of that case but come on, nobody boos him for that allegation and it’s totally unfair for it to be even factored into how he’s perceived by fans and critics alike.