Ronaldo (37) Slaps Phone Out of Child’s (14) Hand | Charged after 5 months of deliberation

Lightbringer

To be fair I could ring the police now and say "Lightbringer from RedCafe has assaulted me and smash my phone" and they'd technically have to investigate it. I'm not saying this won't go anywhere but the statements are just saying they've had a report of it and are looking into it.
The difference would be that there is multiple video of evidence of this assault taking place, with injuries to the kid and his phone smashed. I am not saying its going go anywhere either, I have no idea, but there is clearly a difference between me and Ronaldo in this instance. Not saying I am a saint btw, but I have not been caught on camera :drool:

Oldyella

Give up, he didn’t hit nobody!! - Let’s see if he’s charged with assult. If he is then fair play to your initial opinion. Parents went to the newspaper, I wonder why that was!!! Ummmm let me see.
££££££££££
Yes, he forced the kid to drop and break his phone through use of the force..

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Come on, don't you think you're blowing this out of proportion a bit? It was an act of petulance, nothing more. How can you possibly class it as assault?

Well the power dynamic is one way. Adult, child etc. Also the destruction of property. And the assault of course.

Edit - quick Google of assault definition

Definition. The definition of assault varies by jurisdiction, but is generally defined as intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact. Physical injury is not required.

Lightbringer

Yes, he forced the kid to drop and break his phone through use of the force..
While injuring him at the same time which there is picture proof of, which some conveniently leave out of the equation. Its more of an incident if you bruise a kid and smash their phone than just destroy the phone alone!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hope we sell him in the summer. For football reasons mainly, but all the nonsense outside of the pitch too. Petulant, everything about him. cnut of a human.

Lightbringer

Would the people launching a staunch defense of Ronaldos actions be defending him the same way if the victim had been an 9 year old girl? (with some in the crowd still screaming abuse towards Ronaldo)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Well the power dynamic is one way. Adult, child etc. Also the destruction of property. And the assault of course.
I'm condoning what he's done, far from it. I think it's an utterly pathetic thing to do for a 37 year old man, but classing it as assault seems like a stretch to me. Then again, I'm hardly a professor of the law.

Are the parents pressing charges?

darko

So he knocked a phone out of a fans hand who was invading his personal space. BFD. He apologized and offered to replace the phone and more. If you can't accept that then he's not the asshole.

JB7

The difference would be that there is multiple video of evidence of this assault taking place, with injuries to the kid and his phone smashed. I am not saying its going go anywhere either, I have no idea, but there is clearly a difference between me and Ronaldo in this instance. Not saying I am a saint btw, but I have not been caught on camera :drool:
That you know of ;)
I get it entirely, ridiculous thing to do, even more so when you know they'll all have their phones out hoping for any kind of reaction.

Ricardo de la Vega

Petulant man child behaviour. But all he needs to do is apologise, buy the kid a new phone and some signed boots or something
Yes thank goodness the child wasn't of some trendy protected species in which case the old bill and CPS would prosecute to the utmost extent even if there was a photo of the kid sat on Ronnys knee with his mum making them a cup of tea saying how they're all bessies now and he'd apologised and built a school for disadvantaged kids in Liverpool etc.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I'm condoning what he's done, far from it. I think it's an utterly pathetic thing to do for a 37 year old man, but classing it as assault seems like a stretch to me. Then again, I'm hardly a professor of the law.

Are the parents pressing charges?

No idea, but I think I would if an adult did that to my child to be honest. That or have the shit kicked out of them.

Lightbringer

So he knocked a phone out of a fans hand who was invading his personal space. BFD. He apologized and offered to replace the phone and more. If you can't accept that then he's not the asshole.
Source? Ronaldos apology sounds more like an excuse for him doing what he did than genuine regret or remorse. Just because I wont accept a shitty effort from his PR-team does not mean Ronaldo is no longer an asshole for what he did. Ronaldo can be a good decent bloke, but what he did was very poor taste!

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Source? Ronaldos apology sounds more like an excuse for him doing what he did than genuine regret or remorse. Just because I wont accept a shitty effort from his PR-team does not mean Ronaldo is no longer an asshole for what he did. Ronaldo can be a good decent bloke, but what he did was very poor taste!
Exactly, this doesn't undermine his charity work, and his charity work doesn't excuse this.

Brophs

The One and Only
The lad probably was claiming to have gotten Wordle first guess. Chat shit, get banged.

lawliet354

No idea, but I think I would if an adult did that to my child to be honest. That or have the shit kicked out of them.
A real father would tell his child it's a nothing story that a grown man slap his hand and broke his phone, and defend the man as much as possible.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Invading his personal space? Really? A man who Famously relishes a crowd and their varying reactions is now some sort of delicate introvert?

Aretak

So Ronaldo has a strop and breaks a kids’ phone and hand, yet people are defending him.
I'm told it's fine because his social media team apologised on his behalf. You might even be an asshole if you don't think that's enough.

beer&grill

A dumb clown kicking a cat for fun with his child and his brother? Just a friendly banter.
Someone pissed off reacting in the heat of the moment with a hand slap? Assault.:lol:

I’m not even a Ronaldo fan but this is blown out of proportion. He lost is temper in the heat of the moment, not a great thing to do but it’s not like he punched him in the face or kicked him for fun on the street while being recorded by some dumb friend. Also, why does it matter that the child is authistic? Is it written over his forehead? Or did he tell Ronaldo before being slapped?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A dumb clown kicking a cat for fun with his child and his brother? Just a friendly banter.
Someone pissed off reacting in the heat of the moment with a hand slap? Assault.:lol:

I’m not even a Ronaldo fan but this is blown out of proportion. He lost is temper in the heat of the moment, not a great thing to do but it’s not like he punched him in the face or kicked him for fun on the street while being recorded by some dumb friend. Also, why does it matter that the child is authistic? Is it written over his forehead? Or did he tell Ronaldo before being slapped?
Has anyone said that?

phelans shorts

Both are awful and deserve to be let know that, and the fact of the matter is for a nearly forty year old man to slap a random kid is never acceptable, whether autistic or not. The potential for the child being disabled (as is the case here) only adds to it being unacceptable.

clarkydaz

If a middle aged man slapped my kid then I'd want that man put behind bars.

I guess we can only hope this gets dealt with quickly enough so he is out of prison in time for the world cup.
what if he let you slap his cast iron six pack, as a peace offering?