Ronaldo for Captain!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
It's been painfully obvious that Maguire has no business being United captain, but it was somewhat less clear who should be. Bruno (before Ronaldo joined) had been named, being our best player last season, De Gea is a candidate after excellent performances this season and considering his experience and tenure. After rejoining, Ronaldo was obviously somebody who should have been considered.

However, after yesterday's excellent interview, measured, honest, passionate, by Ronaldo, there's little doubt in my mind that he should be made the captain. It should have been done by Ole to begin with, but Ole is gone and if Rangnick doesn't show balls anytime soon and doesn't make this critical, also obviously needed change - honestly, I will lose a lot of respect for Rangnick.

It is clear that initial approach was "don't rock the boat, don't make too many changes", but that ship has sailed. We are in deep trouble, and having seen both Maguire's crap interview, as well as Ronaldo's excellent one, it is way too obvious what needs to be done here.

Agree?

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I love your energy man, but it won't work with the crop of players and the upper management we have right now. Most of our players think that they are the last coke of the dessert (when they are not the big deal ) and the upper management is always scared of chopping heads.

NewYorkRed

De Gea Should be Captain not moaning Ronaldo
Its 2022, and having high standards is now considered moaning at ManUtd.

If all players “moaned” like him instead of doing stupid dances when they score their first goal in 240 appearences then we wouldn’t be where we are in the league.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Agree? Not really, simply because it would be a public perception move more than anything else. Teams have multiple leaders and they don't need the armband to lead, being the captain is just an adminstrative thing, it doesn't dictate who is the leader or the influence of players within the locker room. Now if for some reason Ronaldo felt that he wanted the armband that he would feel better than why not, but it would be for Ronaldo not the team.

Hester_manc

Ronaldo is only in United for a short periode of time, since he is 36. I can not see him being for more than one more season. Therefore I do want him as captain. Even if he wants to stay here, until he is 40 and still is good enough, I do not think he is the right captain. He is already a leader on and off the pitch, and we could use more leaders than just him. Therefore it is better to give the armband to an other player.

AndySmith1990

I don't like how Ronaldo is becoming bigger than the team. It's all well and good blaming Woodward, Glazers, players, managers. But the supporters are terrible for idolising players to the detriment of the club. We've just had 3 years of it with Solskjaer, now there's many people doing the same thing with Ronaldo.

Really wish we'd move on and find success with a completely new group of players who become future United legends, instead of clinging onto the past all the time.

All that's to say that I think making Ronaldo the captain would be a terrible idea wouldn't improve our fortunes in the slightest.

rooney2009

Its 2022, and having high standards is now considered moaning at ManUtd.

If all players “moaned” like him instead of doing stupid dances when they score their first goal in 240 appearences then we wouldn’t be where we are in the league.
No there is a difference with having standards and throwing your hands up in the air and continuously moaning
Bruno and Ronaldo are both guilty of this and it cant be good for Team Morale

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Personally, I couldn't stand a captain flailing his arms and blaming everybody around him on the pitch. It's nice and everything to be a proper leader off the field, in front of the media and microphone and say it starts with you first etc, but on the pitch Cristiano gives a completely different impression and regardless of the younger player's attitude, it would rub most people the wrong way. I don't think he's a good captain, I think he's a good presence in the locker room for certain players, but I wouldn't give him the armband, or Bruno for that matter.

Maticmaker

For a long time in football it was a generally accepted idea that the captain was the manager's 'man on the field'.

Usually it was the most experience player, most respected, and who was perceived by everyone to be someone who 'knew what he's talking about'; perhaps the most important thing though was leadership ability/presence. This could be demonstrated either by inspiring players, winning people over, to lead by example, to praise and to protect fellow team mates, to take charge on the field (now called 'in-match management') and above all to be as consistent as possible in their own performances, i.e.to practice what they preached and take no crap!

Other than CR, (not in ever aspect, but would probably have the highest ranking)have we got anybody in our current first team squad who would meet the above job description for Captain?

DavelinaJolie

I don't like how Ronaldo is becoming bigger than the team. It's all well and good blaming Woodward, Glazers, players, managers. But the supporters are terrible for idolising players to the detriment of the club. We've just had 3 years of it with Solskjaer, now there's many people doing the same thing with Ronaldo.

Really wish we'd move on and find success with a completely new group of players who become future United legends, instead of clinging onto the past all the time.

All that's to say that I think making Ronaldo the captain would be a terrible idea wouldn't improve our fortunes in the slightest.
You're a brave person.

ClassOf'99

Half of you lot are embarrassing as United fans, you would be the same fans that would complain about Michael Jordan winning a game with the flu "He shouldn't of played he was sick and could've made others sick".

I mean God forbid we have a world class athlete and professional unhappy with the dross around him and calling them out for it, did Keane complain at players for poor performances? Yes, he did he went mental, how about Rooney? Absolutely.

The only players that have a right to tell Ronaldo to sod off about their performance is Varane or De Gea none of the rest are up to scratch.

If I had a player of this calibre telling me to buck up my ideas I'd be listening, but half of you lot are happy to blame the professional and not the ones missing the mark.

He can't carry the team, he is asking the team to be a team, instead of seeing that you want him gone, no wonder we are in this mess.

Reactions: Sultan

alexthelion

It's been painfully obvious that Maguire has no business being United captain, but it was somewhat less clear who should be. Bruno (before Ronaldo joined) had been named, being our best player last season, De Gea is a candidate after excellent performances this season and considering his experience and tenure. After rejoining, Ronaldo was obviously somebody who should have been considered.

However, after yesterday's excellent interview, measured, honest, passionate, by Ronaldo, there's little doubt in my mind that he should be made the captain. It should have been done by Ole to begin with, but Ole is gone and if Rangnick doesn't show balls anytime soon and doesn't make this critical, also obviously needed change - honestly, I will lose a lot of respect for Rangnick.

It is clear that initial approach was "don't rock the boat, don't make too many changes", but that ship has sailed. We are in deep trouble, and having seen both Maguire's crap interview, as well as Ronaldo's excellent one, it is way too obvious what needs to be done here.

Agree?
No way.

captaincantona

Agree?
No thanks.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yep, make him even more undroppable, great idea!

Gandalf

VDB should be Captain, his vantage point on the bench will have given him a crucial insight into where the teams problems lie and having been unencumbered by the need to warm up and prepare to play he can really focus on those adjustments needed to make us Champions.

RedCurry

Let’s reward performances on the pitch and not on camera. We are a sports team, not a political party. Keep the captaincy an open position until someone can consistently show leadership on the pitch.

norm87cro

No. It's either Bruno or DDG. Funny enough Cavani is more captain material than Ronaldo. And as far as the first 11 Ronaldo is a starter

Last edited:

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Half of you lot are embarrassing as United fans, you would be the same fans that would complain about Michael Jordan winning a game with the flu "He shouldn't of played he was sick and could've made others sick".

I mean God forbid we have a world class athlete and professional unhappy with the dross around him and calling them out for it, did Keane complain at players for poor performances? Yes, he did he went mental, how about Rooney? Absolutely.

The only players that have a right to tell Ronaldo to sod off about their performance is Varane or De Gea none of the rest are up to scratch.

If I had a player of this calibre telling me to buck up my ideas I'd be listening, but half of you lot are happy to blame the professional and not the ones missing the mark.

He can't carry the team, he is asking the team to be a team, instead of seeing that you want him gone, no wonder we are in this mess.
Give this Kid more likes, everything above is horrendously true .

NewGlory

For a long time in football it was a generally accepted idea that the captain was the manager's 'man on the field'.

Usually it was the most experience player, most respected, and who was perceived by everyone to be someone who 'knew what he's talking about'; perhaps the most important thing though was leadership ability/presence. This could be demonstrated either by inspiring players, winning people over, to lead by example, to praise and to protect fellow team mates, to take charge on the field (now called 'in-match management') and above all to be as consistent as possible in their own performances, i.e.to practice what they preached and take no crap!

Other than CR, (not in ever aspect, but would probably have the highest ranking)have we got anybody in our current first team squad who would meet the above job description for Captain?
100% this. Also, this:

There are players in our squad currently that cannot be lead or inspired by ANYBODY, because they are negative, arrogant, stubborn babies. There is no fixing this lot without getting rid of them, but for everybody else - how do any of you justify thinking thar Maguire is better captain than Ronaldo?!

If you are United player and you are not inspired by Ronaldo, person who is all-time GOAT, highly disciplined athlete, club legend, winner of everything - if you are dumb enough to
not listen and look up to that kind of person, how is problem not you? Seriously?

Artimities

Honestly, I have thought a bit about this. I am not a fan of Maguire being Captain. Our captain needs to be part of the solution, and not the problem.
I like DeGea, but I have never been a fan of having a goalkeeper as the Captain.
Ronaldo makes sense as does Bruno but Bruno's form and body language recently leads me to think of the group we have... Ronaldo is the best choice.
This off season needs to be a competition for the armband and going forward it needs better representation.

NewGlory

Let’s reward performances on the pitch and not on camera. We are a sports team, not a political party. Keep the captaincy an open position until someone can consistently show leadership on the pitch.
Sure, let's do that. Maguire has been terrible. So we start by stripping him of captaincy...

Ladron de redcafe

Sure, let's do that. Maguire has been terrible. So we start by stripping him of captaincy...
Ronaldo has also been terrible. Why would he reward by making him first team captain?

If anything - by that logic - De Gea should be captain.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My thoughts in order would be:

1) Captaincy is generally overrated and has very little actual impact because leaders will be leaders regardless of who happens to have the armband.

2) Publicly stripping the captaincy from a player in bad form will immediately bring a wave of external negativity and drama we definitely don't need.

3) Ronaldo will be 37 years old next month. Whether we're there yet or not, we will very shortly reach a point where the best thing for the team is for him not to be in it. Negotiating that impending diminution of his status will be tricky enough given his reputation and extremely driven personality. There is no need for us to add to that by making him the captain. Because while I think the armband is overrated in impact in terms of leadership, it does impact how outsiders view and report on the person wearing it.

Ladron de redcafe

100% this. Also, this:

There are players in our squad currently that cannot be lead or inspired by ANYBODY, because they are negative, arrogant, stubborn babies. There is no fixing this lot without getting rid of them, but for everybody else - how do any of you justify thinking thar Maguire is better captain than Ronaldo?!

If you are United player and you are not inspired by Ronaldo, person who is all-time GOAT, highly disciplined athlete, club legend, winner of everything - if you are dumb enough to
not listen and look up to that kind of person, how is problem not you? Seriously?
Typing things out in caps doesn't make what you're saying any less laughable. Calling other players negative babies and then suggesting giving the armband to a person who's the very personification of those traits is hillarious.

phelans shorts

Typing things out in caps doesn't make what you're saying any less laughable. Calling other players negative babies and then suggesting giving the armband to a person who's the very personification of those traits is hillarious.
Absolutely. It doesn’t matter what somebody has done previously, with how he has played and acted on the pitch this season if he tried to bollock me I’d be telling him where to shove it and would likely get a very negative reaction, because he’s been an arrogant pompous git acting like he’s better than everyone.

Even if he’s struggling I’d be much likely to listen to Maguire who at least always gives it his all

NewGlory

Ronaldo has also been terrible. Why would he reward by making him first team captain?

If anything - by that logic - De Gea should be captain.
Let's deal in facts. Ronaldo is top goalscorer for us and top 6 in EPL. Some of his performances under Ole is the reason why we are still in champions league and not much lower in EPL.

That is not being "terrible" by any stretch of imagination but I am also curious who has been consistently better than him this season, except for De Gea?

Ladron de redcafe

Let's deal in facts. Ronaldo is top goalscorer for us and top 6 in EPL. Some of his performances under Ole is the reason why we are still in champions league and not much lower in EPL.

That is not being "terrible" by any stretch of imagination but I am also curious who has been consistently better than him this season, except for De Gea?
Some more facts. He has only 6 open play goals despite taking the second most shots by anyone in the league. And we have regressed this season from 2nd to 7th.

Your last sentence says that you still don't get it. Nearly every player has regressed as soon as Ronaldo joined and your conclusion is that it's proof of his "leadership" and he deserves to be captain as a result, because he's inspiring everyone? :lol:

NewGlory

Even if he’s struggling I’d be much likely to listen to Maguire who at least always gives it his all
Maguire gives his all? Phew!

My God, if most of our fans think this way, we really deserve the mess we are in

Ladron de redcafe

Absolutely. It doesn’t matter what somebody has done previously, with how he has played and acted on the pitch this season if he tried to bollock me I’d be telling him where to shove it and would likely get a very negative reaction, because he’s been an arrogant pompous git acting like he’s better than everyone.

If you listen to some of these fanboys, he's a God who must be worshipped, no matter how terrible he plays. If someone who waves and flaps his arms around while consistently putting in awful performances wants to lecture me, I would tell him to shove it as well.

NewGlory

Some more facts. He has only 6 open play goals despite taking the second most shots by anyone in the league. And we have regressed this season from 2nd to 7th.

Your last sentence says that you still don't get it. Nearly every player has regressed as soon as Ronaldo joined and your conclusion is that it's proof of his "leadership" and he deserves to be captain as a result, because he's inspiring everyone? :lol:
Have you ever heard of correlation vs causation?

And are you seriously claiming that entire squad regressed BECAUSE Ronaldo joined? Holy shit!

Ladron de redcafe

Have you ever heard of correlation vs causation?

And are you seriously claiming that entire squad regressed BECAUSE Ronaldo joined? Holy shit!
Yes, because there's no link at all:lol: It's completely random and everyone suddenly turned awful at the same time.

RedCurry

I don’t think it needs to be an abrupt process. If he’s playing bad, we need to put him on the bench. Let him fight for his place. We either find a better CB pairing without him or he works his way back to starting 11 with good performances. If he ends up being on the bench, we will already have open captaincy position on the pitch. If he decides that he doesn’t want to remain on the bench, he will leave and we can find another captain. But if he does work his way back due to good performances, he should keep the arm band.

Chief123

Agree?
From ronaldos interview, I think he’s more focused on planning his exit than becoming captain.