Ronaldo for Captain!

phelans shorts

Maguire gives his all? Phew!

My God, if most of our fans think this way, we really deserve the mess we are in
I’d listen to someone giving their all over somebody walking very slowly back onside throwing their arms out because a ball didn’t get to them any day. Especially when the latter isn’t performing noticeably better than the former.

Accepting mediocrity because they used to be good is a real indicator of us deserving the mess we’re in.

Volksie316

Ronaldo is hardly captain material. All he does is moan and bitch.

We get a poor result on the pitch, and what does he do? Throws a tantrum and walks straight down the tunnel.

Ladron de redcafe

I’d listen to someone giving their all over somebody walking very slowly back onside throwing their arms out because a ball didn’t get to them any day. Especially when the latter isn’t performing noticeably better than the former.

Accepting mediocrity because they used to be good is a real indicator of us deserving the mess we’re in.
And that's the most perplexing part of this. We've had his fanboys writing paragraphs about how Ronaldo has "won everything" as if that's even remotely relevant at the moment.

ClassOf'99

And your excuse for Rashford turning his back? Greenwood?

Maguire giving is all is usually holding the ball up on the halfway line slowing the attack down, then fouling someone because he turns like the titanic, conceding a goal or making a long winded post about "we must do better".

Do you ever think Ronaldos "tantrums" are due to the lack of chemistry in the team that if he approached them and attempted to speak to them like Keano or Rooney would, they would tell him to shove off too? If he didn't flail around would they listen? Highly unlikely!

Half of this group has caused the sacking of managers including Ole, a club legend in his own right.

Just because you don't like the flailing arms, calling passes and players out doesn't mean he isn't a leader, Ole himself said in the Atalanta game at home that Ronaldo and Bruno lead the half time team talk to go out and do better because we know we are capable of it.

Strange captain titanic wasn't mentioned or hasn't been mentioned leading anyone.

Ladron de redcafe

Maguire giving is all is usually holding the ball up on the halfway line slowing the attack down, then fouling someone because he turns like the titanic, conceding a goal or making a long winded post about "we must do better".

Do you ever think Ronaldos "tantrums" are due to the lack of chemistry in the team that if he approached them and attempted to speak to them like Keano or Rooney would, they would tell him to shove off too? If he didn't flail around would they listen? Highly unlikely!

Half of this group has caused the sacking of managers including Ole, a club legend in his own right.

Just because you don't like the flailing arms, calling passes and players out doesn't mean he isn't a leader, Ole himself said in the Atalanta game at home that Ronaldo and Bruno lead the half time team talk to go out and do better because we know we are capable of it.

Strange captain titanic wasn't mentioned or hasn't been mentioned leading anyone.
Yeah that makes a LOT of sense :lol:

OmarUnited4ever

who cares who's captain?

Vidic was appointed the club captain while Rio & Giggs were in the squad, Vidic was not more or less of a leader than Rio or Giggs, they were all excellent leaders, alongside Evra & VDS, and few others, you don't need an armband to be a leader, you lead by example and determination, you lead by demanding standards while maintaining high standards yourself.

having seen both Maguire's crap interview, as well as Ronaldo's excellent one, it is way too obvious what needs to be done here.
for real? you want Ronaldo as captain because of an interview?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well he is more than 3 months here so by our new standards, that makes him a good captain.

phelans shorts

I never called for Marcus or Mason to be named captain, if they were I’d tell them to feck off too, so that’s a really daft straw man you’ve built there.

I think Ronaldo’s tantrums are because he is, quite frankly, a prick. He was doing it in his first spell when he actually was the best player in the world (well, for one year until Messi surpassed him) and that was in a team competing for/winning European cups. It isn’t a new feature.

I don’t take much attention to random pr pieces tbh. If we want to talk about leading dressing rooms how about the (actual footage we can quantify) time Paul Pogba led the team talk in a World Cup final? Why not make him captain?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
For my money we should manage Ronaldo carefully, using him for impact and not as the first name on the team sheet in all competitions.

As such, I'm against it - even though I largely don't give a feck who the captain is (it means feck all in this day and age).

Logically, it should be Dave. He's a veteran, is in decent shape again and is the only player we have who actually deserves to be an unquestionable starter.

alexthelion

Comedy gold :lol:

Waynne

The club needs to start recruiting players with an emphasis on mental strength. I believe that's what SAF did during his tenure at the club. We don't need world class in every position.
Give me more Evra's, Neville's, Vidic's and Ferdinand's anyday over this lot.
When we have our backs to the wall you can at least expect a reaction from a player who's determined to give his best.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ronaldo is already someone who they'll look up to, it's just a question of whether a striker, and one who isn't a particularly "encouraging" style of player is the best choice. Although some captains lead by their performances.

I'd probably stay as we are, as the effect of stripping Maguire of it will only cause more divides and make his head go even more.

ClassOf'99

I never called for Marcus or Mason to be named captain, if they were I’d tell them to feck off too, so that’s a really daft straw man you’ve built there.

I think Ronaldo’s tantrums are because he is, quite frankly, a prick. He was doing it in his first spell when he actually was the best player in the world (well, for one year until Messi surpassed him) and that was in a team competing for/winning European cups. It isn’t a new feature.

I don’t take much attention to random pr pieces tbh. If we want to talk about leading dressing rooms how about the (actual footage we can quantify) time Paul Pogba led the team talk in a World Cup final? Why not make him captain?

I wasn't stating Marcus or Mason should be named captain but their behaviour on the pitch is and has been much worse than Ronaldo's even before he arrived back at the club, there is a difference between Ronaldo's behaviour and the rest of our front line, except Cavani, I would believe he actually gives a damn and it's from winning desire or passion.

His performances haven't been matching his desire but I would expect him to start with himself and work outwardly than just blame everyone else like so many are keen to lay the blame on him.

You see a prick where I and many others see a passionate player upset with things not going our way. I would rather a tantrum from passion than sulking or a poor performance and a "we must do better" post every week.

I think Ole would have a better idea of Pogbas antics in the dressing room vs Ronaldo/Bruno when it comes to selecting a captain, I think I would trust Ole's own admission than a video of Frances Pogba who isn't to be confused with United Pogba.

Im not going to agree with half the fan base as it seems this is a massive split with whether or not we were regressing anyway or Ronaldo has had a negative impact on our progression after all these player performances got Ole sacked, Ronaldo or not that is inexcusable from every player.

If calling out these mommy coddled players has caused a negative atmosphere due to a serial winner telling you that you must do better, then I would rather them gone first than Ronaldo.

Imagine Rooney coming out and saying I don't like Keane because he called me crap because I played crap and he needs to leave, God forbid this is how far we've fallen now.

Like I said I would expect Ronaldo to have a word with himself over a poor performance before speaking to the rest. As many videos from Juve have shown he speaks about him and the team, collectively, they all must do better.

TL:DR

No-one but De-Gea (based on performance) should have a vote as captain, but I'm unsure if Dave is a big enough voice to lead.

Ronaldo has been shown to call himself and the team out collectively.

I think as a serial winner that is leadership quality, us as a team should do better, not you all should make me look better as many read it by.

If you don't like being called out for being crap, stop sulking, call your agent and leave, that goes for everyone.

You call arm waving being a prick, I call it passion, we can agree to disagree.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If we want to talk about leading dressing rooms how about the (actual footage we can quantify) time Paul Pogba led the team talk in a World Cup final? Why not make him captain?
Because Pogba already was a captain and he got the manager fired. Also because he embarasses United all the time by letting his fecking agent trash us and you cannot have captain doing it. Also because he is usually injured for the most of the season

ClassOf'99

Because Pogba already was a captain and he got the manager fired. Also because he embarasses United all the time by letting his fecking agent trash us and you cannot have captain doing it. Also because he is usually injured for the most of the season
Also this!

phelans shorts

Pogba captained about 5 games when the club captain was out, it’s like saying Bruno has been captain. He never got any manager fired. I’d also argue that an agent saying random stuff that can be easily ignored is less embarrassing for the club than, for instance, having rape accusations above the captains head. Just as an example.

I’m not even legitimately saying Pogba should be captain, he’d just be a better choice than you’re proposing.

SteveCoppellFan

The internet has turned everyone into boring moaners ..

We need to turn back time when everyone had to go to the pub and get a pint or two before they could unload the moan on everyone.

Being the moaner or being on the receiving end of a moaner is much more fun when you have had too much to drink.

Incessant internet moaners just moan for the sake of it when totally sober ... that's just being miserable !

Yes, im moaning.

The internet has turned everyone into boring moaners ..

We need to turn back time when everyone had to go to the pub and get a pint or two before they could unload the moan on everyone.

Being the moaner or being on the receiving end of a moaner is much more fun when you have had too much to drink.

Incessant internet moaners just moan for the sake of it when totally sober ... that's just being miserable !

Yes, im moaning.
It doesn’t hurt our jaws moaning on here though! we can moan until we have satisfied our daily moaning limit.

honirelandboy

Ronaldo get you a goal here and there but is not good enough to be starting for man united for 90 mins. Adds nothing else. We need to put our fate in Rashford and Greenwood up top now. Cavani is completely finished now from what I saw of him in the last two games. Club should just come to a mutual agreement with him. I'd be given the captaincy to Varane when fit and De Gea.

Will Singh

Ralf looks even more a pussy then Ole, taking the captaincy is going to rock the boat even more and giving it to the new player (in there eyes) they’ll throw the rest of the toys out the pram. I think De Gea deserves it more then anyone even Ronaldo!

hobbers

Ronaldo is hardly captain material. All he does is moan and bitch.

We get a poor result on the pitch, and what does he do? Throws a tantrum and walks straight down the tunnel.
What does Maguire do? Walk off like a zombie and then get his PR team to post an apology tweet.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Half of you lot are embarrassing as United fans, you would be the same fans that would complain about Michael Jordan winning a game with the flu "He shouldn't of played he was sick and could've made others sick".

I mean God forbid we have a world class athlete and professional unhappy with the dross around him and calling them out for it, did Keane complain at players for poor performances? Yes, he did he went mental, how about Rooney? Absolutely.

The only players that have a right to tell Ronaldo to sod off about their performance is Varane or De Gea none of the rest are up to scratch.

If I had a player of this calibre telling me to buck up my ideas I'd be listening, but half of you lot are happy to blame the professional and not the ones missing the mark.

He can't carry the team, he is asking the team to be a team, instead of seeing that you want him gone, no wonder we are in this mess.
Very good post. A lot of our fans are just like our mentally weak players - idiots.

captaincantona

Half of you lot are embarrassing as United fans, you would be the same fans that would complain about Michael Jordan winning a game with the flu "He shouldn't of played he was sick and could've made others sick".

I mean God forbid we have a world class athlete and professional unhappy with the dross around him and calling them out for it, did Keane complain at players for poor performances? Yes, he did he went mental, how about Rooney? Absolutely.

The only players that have a right to tell Ronaldo to sod off about their performance is Varane or De Gea none of the rest are up to scratch.

If I had a player of this calibre telling me to buck up my ideas I'd be listening, but half of you lot are happy to blame the professional and not the ones missing the mark.

He can't carry the team, he is asking the team to be a team, instead of seeing that you want him gone, no wonder we are in this mess.
It’s a strange one though cause many feel we would just be a better team without him...so while his mentality is positive and others should learn from it..that doesn’t necessarily correlate with his performances. Having an amazing mentality and career and reputation will buy him general appreciation and respect but if he is not doing it on the pitch then that creates quite the dilemma. Keane and Rooney were on top of their game when they demanded more from team mates, so they were beyond reproach. Ronaldo is a shadow of what he was and there is at least a case to be made that Utd would be a better team without him in the side.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Ronaldo is a shadow of what he was and there is at least a case to be made that Utd would be a better team without him in the side.
There's a fair number of fans who refuse to accept this, though - even as a possibility. It's quite interesting to see, actually - I didn't think he'd be perceived that way by so many after they'd watched him on a regular basis for us this season.

In some cases they're just sticking up for Ronaldo on general principle, it seems (those who keep mumbling that he isn't worse than anyone else in our generally underperforming and underwhelming team belong to this group, clearly) - but in certain, and surprisingly many, cases they seem to genuinely believe that he's still the best player in the world, or at least that he hasn't declined much at all. Pure delusion, in other words - which is, again, interesting to see.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Wow some of you lot.

Ronaldo deserves to bollock and question everyone else because his personal trophy cabinet is greater than the whole squad combined and dare i say not much less than United whole trophy.

Sure he got a bad year but when he says you're shit it probably means you're shit. And some even think maguire gave his all? Good lord.

Giggsy13

I’m convinced now that the majority of fans knocking down the idea of Ronaldo taking the armband 1. Know nothing about football 2. Never got to see Ronaldo play with us his first 6 seasons or 3. Are prime ripe bellends who know nothing about football.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
It's not a bad idea but he's kind of old and while I don't think he's going to leave this season he would probably won't stick beyond an additional season or two. In any case Maguire was a bad choice anyway and I think it should be De Gea or perhaps Bruno. Ronaldo isn't a bad shout but he just arrived this season and like I said is difficult to plan ahead given his age and he doesn't need the armband to be a leader.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Agree? Not really, simply because it would be a public perception move more than anything else. Teams have multiple leaders and they don't need the armband to lead, being the captain is just an adminstrative thing, it doesn't dictate who is the leader or the influence of players within the locker room. Now if for some reason Ronaldo felt that he wanted the armband that he would feel better than why not, but it would be for Ronaldo not the team.
Exactly. It'd feel like a bad PR twist not that Ronaldo wouldn't be a good captain. I just don't think it would help our team at all when the problems are elsewhere

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
feck a captain that will leave us in the next transfer window :lol:

SecondFig

No, I don't think he's committed to the club or its success, just his own success. And if he can get that by leaving he'll do so first chance he gets. Out of the current squad I'd probably stick with Maguire - not because he's perfect, just the best option we have. And if not him, then Bruno

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The man can back it up. If you don't listen to this guy, you better be a future super super super superstar with real talent or you're stupid.