"Ronaldo is my Cantona" - Fergie

RvN#10

ALEX FERGUSON is tipping Cristiano Ronaldo to join the ranks of Eric Cantona and the Old Trafford gods.

Some of French legend Cantona’s most memorable Manchester United moments were in FA Cup finals.

He hit two penalties in the 1994 4-0 triumph over Chelsea and the 1-0 winner against Liverpool two years later.

Today, 19-year-old Ronaldo will take his fledgling Cup final steps against Millwall at the Millennium Stadium.

And boss Fergie is confident that by always letting the Portuguese youngster show off his skills, eventually his impact will be as great as that of King Cantona.

He said: “Ronaldo is only 19 and he is sensational.

“Manchester United have always known how to make room for exceptional talents. Remember Bobby Charlton and George Best.

“I have learned, too, you always have to let the players express themselves. For a manager, a player like Ryan Giggs for example is a gift from heaven. It is the same thing with Eric Cantona.

“He would never have become the great player he was if I had not encouraged him to develop his talent.

“I think we were the perfect club for him. A club where he could puff out his chest and say ‘I’m the boss here, I’m the king’. He has that aura, that presence, that faith in himself.

“Same thing again with little Ronaldo. Never stop him dribbling past his opponents, because it’s just that which makes him the player you want.

“A manager always has to be able to adapt what he says to each type of player. He’ll say to some ‘Play it simple, you are never better than when you strip your game down’.

“Then there are others who can raise their game to a new level, one I can’t conceive as I don’t have their vision and because they see things that I, as their manager, cannot see.

“Ronaldo will be one of those players, I’m sure. Just like Cantona before him.”

Fergie is already looking beyond the FA Cup final to renew his assaults on the Premiership and Champions League — and the likes of Ronaldo will be his spearhead.

He explained: “The future of the club is constantly on my mind.

“I always try to make sure the rebuilding process keeps evolving. That is why we bought a lot of young players last summer.

“Some have come out of it well, others have not yet asserted themselves — and I do say ‘not yet’.

“Take Kleberson. He got married, his wife is 17, they have a baby, he has a shoulder injury that stops him playing for six months and then another injury that keeps him out for two more months.

“So it would be unfair to make a judgment on him. What I do know is this lad won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002, that he has marvellous technique and will soon be OK.

“Now take Eric Djemba-Djemba. His mother was in a coma, they had to bring her from Cameroon to France, then he had to join Cameroon for qualifying matches for the Olympics and the African Nations Cup.

“We didn’t see him for four months. But he is only 23 and is going to make more progress.

“Besides that, there have been successes like Ronaldo. Tim Howard, our keeper, is another. So I say we are armed for the future.

“Ferdinand is 24, Brown 24, O’Shea 22, Fletcher 19, Ronaldo 19, Bellion 21, Kleberson 24 and Djemba-Djemba 23.

"That’s eight players under 25 who, in three or four years when they have come on together, will form the nucleus of a good team.”

Finishing third in the Premiership behind Arsene Wenger’s champion Gunners and Chelsea has hit Ferguson hard.

He added: “This is the first time in 13 years we have not been in the race for the title. Thirteen years, do you realise?

"But, of course, this season that’s it. I’ve had heart problems, I’m done for, finished. I’m an old man. So next season I’ll be . . . a genius. No, you must get things in perspective.

“The Ferdinand business killed us. We were four points clear in the table and Rio Ferdinand and Mikael Silvestre were on the way to becoming our best pair of central defenders since Bruce and Pallister.

“They were fantastic. Then, on January 17, it was all over.”

For all the frustrations, Fergie insists he has no plans to quit — despite a United managerial career already stretching back 18 years.

He said: “If I have survived such a long time, it’s because I manage to isolate myself at times and not let myself be submerged by events.

“Though I keep wanting to control everything at the club, I have understood as years go by that I have to be able to delegate, too.

“At 62, I can no longer run all over the place and do the lot by myself. I have a first-rate staff that does its job very well and I make sure it works right.

“At the moment, I am devoting myself to making sure everything is in place for us to win the FA Cup.

“But a manager is a man alone at times — and being alone suits me just as well.”

RvN#10

FANS CAN GET BEST OUT OF RONALDO

Cristiano Ronaldo reckons the Manchester United fans can provide the inspiration for even more devastating exploits next season.

The brilliant Portuguese youngster is likely to be unleashed on an unsuspecting Millwall defence in the FA Cup Final, presenting the Lions with a test they are unlikely to have experienced too often in the First Division.

After exploding onto the United scene with an outstanding debut off the bench against Bolton, the £12million summer recruit from Sporting Lisbon took time to settle in England but finished the campaign in blistering fashion and capped a succession of man-of-the-match displays by ripping the Aston Villa defence apart in the final game of the Red Devils' disappointing Premiership campaign last Saturday.

Sir Alex Ferguson has vowed to handle his supremely talented 19-year-old with care and clearly there is plenty more to come, particularly if Ronaldo continues to draw inspiration from United's army of supporters.

"I am so pleased the crowd like the way I play," said Ronaldo, who has been named in the hosts' squad for Euro 2004 this summer.

"I came here to try and show my worth, so it gives me a real thrill when I get the ball at my feet and the fans start to cheer. It gives me so much confidence and helps me play much better.

"Overall, I am quite happy with my first season here. I have settled into a new city quite well and have adapted well within the squad.

"All the young players feel as though they have been evolving by working with the experienced ones and naturally, I feel like I am improving too."

Signed by Ferguson on the recommendation of his own players after a mesmerising performance against them in a pre-season friendly last summer, all Ronaldo needs now is a winner's medal as tangible reward for his debut campaign.

The FA Cup may not have made too much impression on him as he grew up in Madeira but he is starting to learn what a special place the final holds in the English soccer calendar.

And while he accepts United have missed out on the major prizes by failing to retain their Premiership title or making the impact expected of them in Europe, victory at the Millennium Stadium would at least allow them to salvage something from the season.

"This is such a big club, you are almost obliged to win every game," he said.

"The fans expect you to win everything and while we have not managed to win the league, we do still have the FA Cup to play for.

"It is important we beat Millwall because we don't want the ghost of not winning a trophy hanging over us this summer.

"I have never seen an FA Cup final before, so I am really looking forward to the experience."

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
We should arrange a friendly with Valencia, so that our players can recomment Vicente, Baraja... :(

manu4eva!

RvN#10 said:

Cristiano Ronaldo reckons the Manchester United fans can provide the inspiration for even more devastating exploits next season.

The brilliant Portuguese youngster is likely to be unleashed on an unsuspecting Millwall defence in the FA Cup Final, presenting the Lions with a test they are unlikely to have experienced too often in the First Division.

After exploding onto the United scene with an outstanding debut off the bench against Bolton, the £12million summer recruit from Sporting Lisbon took time to settle in England but finished the campaign in blistering fashion and capped a succession of man-of-the-match displays by ripping the Aston Villa defence apart in the final game of the Red Devils' disappointing Premiership campaign last Saturday.

Sir Alex Ferguson has vowed to handle his supremely talented 19-year-old with care and clearly there is plenty more to come, particularly if Ronaldo continues to draw inspiration from United's army of supporters.

"I am so pleased the crowd like the way I play," said Ronaldo, who has been named in the hosts' squad for Euro 2004 this summer.

"I came here to try and show my worth, so it gives me a real thrill when I get the ball at my feet and the fans start to cheer. It gives me so much confidence and helps me play much better.

"Overall, I am quite happy with my first season here. I have settled into a new city quite well and have adapted well within the squad.

"All the young players feel as though they have been evolving by working with the experienced ones and naturally, I feel like I am improving too."

Signed by Ferguson on the recommendation of his own players after a mesmerising performance against them in a pre-season friendly last summer, all Ronaldo needs now is a winner's medal as tangible reward for his debut campaign.

The FA Cup may not have made too much impression on him as he grew up in Madeira but he is starting to learn what a special place the final holds in the English soccer calendar.

And while he accepts United have missed out on the major prizes by failing to retain their Premiership title or making the impact expected of them in Europe, victory at the Millennium Stadium would at least allow them to salvage something from the season.

"The fans expect you to win everything and while we have not managed to win the league, we do still have the FA Cup to play for.

"It is important we beat Millwall because we don't want the ghost of not winning a trophy hanging over us this summer.

"I have never seen an FA Cup final before, so I am really looking forward to the experience."
I havent been a fan of his falling (or hopefully not diving) though...

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Ronaldo will be one of the legends here i have no doubt about it.

Fergie hit the nail on the head here:
“Same thing again with little Ronaldo. Never stop him dribbling past his opponents, because it’s just that which makes him the player you want.

“A manager always has to be able to adapt what he says to each type of player. He’ll say to some ‘Play it simple, you are never better than when you strip your game down’.

Gazza

I'm pleased Ronaldo's happy and reassured by Fergie's comments re the newbuys. I'm glad he isn't ruled by impulses like certain posters. We have a young squad which forms the foundations for future success.

kelvinhole

Hello Kevin
I don't know if Ronaldo's going to score, but he sure is going to tear Millwall apart with his trickery. I don't think Millwall have ever experienced anything remotely like this. It'll be like water torture, but faster.

Dubai_Devil

kelvinhole said:
I don't know if Ronaldo's going to score, but he sure is going to tear Millwall apart with his trickery. I don't think Millwall have ever experienced anything remotely like this. It'll be like water torture, but faster.
Would that just be like having a shower?

Giordano

Nistelrooy10 said:
We should arrange a friendly with Valencia, so that our players can recomment Vicente, Baraja... :(
I'd say, invite them to the Vodafone Cup ;)

Giordano

IMO Millwall will play 5-6 man defence, with Cahill upfront as a lone striker. Just think of how Wolves beat us at Molineux, Millwall may adapt to the same tactics.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
RvN#10 said:

I said the same thing yesterday but kf dosent agree.

JJ_Batchelor

soulblight3r said:
he has cut down on his falling, or diving or whatever you call it, a lot
The way I see it....players who attempt dribbles all the time are more prone to be tackled, shoved off the ball. That is why the likes of Ronaldo or Figo or Ronaldinho are always going to ground....You can't blame them. If they try to stay on their feet...it would be disadvantageous because the defender had got an upper hand..illegally. Referee won't blow for a foul if you stay on yourr feet.

JJ_Batchelor

kelvinhole said:
Ronaldo: LORD OF THE WINGS. :D

phunky

Needs to change his underwear
kelvinhole said:
Well he has.. ;) Gd stuffs this...

edn33

Sack Fergie, sell Giggs, sign Mourinho and help me
Ronaldo remind me og Giggsy 10 years ago.

Ronaldo is the new young legend on the pitch.