Ronaldo or Ruud van Nistelrooij?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Seeing Ronaldo’s predatory movement is mesmeric. (@Boss RIP) The thing is, he didn’t start off a striker did he? Well, I think he’s doing a hell of a job being better than one of the ultimate poachers.

To people whom watched Ruud and Ronaldo over the past few years, how do they compare?

I mean, statistically Ronaldo is on another planet but I always associated Ruud as someone whom is completely deadly in the box.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Seeing Ronaldo’s predatory movement is mesmeric. (@Boss RIP) The thing is, he didn’t start off a striker did he? Well, I think he’s doing a hell of a job being better than one of the ultimate poachers.

To people whom watched Ruud and Ronaldo over the past few years, how do they compare?

I mean, statistically Ronaldo is on another planet but I always associated Ruud as someone whom is completely deadly in the box.
Fecking hell mate they already settled that case, let it go.

Robbie Boy

Boss was last seen in 2012, feck me time goes fast :eek:

Green_Red

Ruud was unbelievable in the box, Ronaldo is too. 18 yards in I'd say Ruud, everything else Ronaldo tips it. I don't remember Ruud scoring many headers, could be wrong though. There's no question Ronaldo is the better player and would get picked before Ruud everytime if it came down to it.

TsuWave

Ronaldo is a better player overall, and my GOAT, but Ruud is the best striker I've ever seen in my life or maybe it's just nostalgia and United bias, but Ruud was special to me

Paxi

Ronaldo is better at everything. Literally. And that's not really because Ruud isn't a world class player.
Which is mental when you think about it. Ronaldo at 36 is probably better than one of the best PL strikers ever. It’s mind blowing.

Interval

Level
Which is mental when you think about it. Ronaldo at 36 is probably better than one of the best PL strikers ever. It’s mind blowing.
Yes. It is mental. We tend to forget that Ronaldo will, along with Messi from this generation, go into Maradona, Pele, Cruyff category of players. He's just that good.

He may be more limited now than in the past but that doesnt stop him from being a better pureplay striker in the league

Sviken

Ruud was my favorite player and the one that got me to United and I'd have to go with him as far as pure strikers go. Ronaldo is in contention with Messi as the GOAT so as far as a player, he isn't even close. But there are different "incarnations" of Ronaldo. There is the first one with United where he played as a traditional tricky right-winger, there's the Madrid one where he played as a winger-striker hybrid role and there's current Ronaldo that is more of a pure poacher. To me this current Ronaldo is slightly behind Ruud, but at 36 to even be at that same level as Ruud was in his prime is simply insane.

Paxi

Yes. It is mental. We tend to forget that Ronaldo will, along with Messi from this generation, go into Maradona, Pele, Cruyff category of players. He's just that good.

He may be more limited now than in the past but that doesnt stop him from being a better pureplay striker in the league
I’d love to hear from @harms in particular, how quick did these guys drop off their level? He would certainly be an authority or anyone that watched them of course. Certainly, Ronaldo isn’t stopping.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I used to think Ruud is the best striker I've ever seen, he is just so dominate inside the 18 yard box. Maybe of all the current player, Haaland would be more comparable.

Regarding comparison with Ronaldo, there's nothing alike in their style of play. As pure striker though, peak Ruud is very close to current version of Ronaldo, at least in terms of output. But that's about it.

But as a player, in their peak or over their career, its not comparable at all. No disrespect, but its like comparing Maradona with Salah, or Messi with Hazard, or Pele with Rooney.

Last edited:

krazyrobus

Is this even a comparrison. RVN is a legendary striker and Ronaldo is better at him at everything.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Erm, Ruud was better at penalties by quite a lot.

That's about it.

And Ruud is my favourite United player ever.

Ronaldo is one of the 2 best humans to ever play this sport. Just because he's 36, doesn't change it that much.

Tarrou

That's about it.

Ronaldo is one of the 2 best humans to ever play this sport. Just because he's 36, doesn't change it that much.
I doubt there is much difference between Ruud and RVN’s pen record for us, was there? They were both really good

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I’d love to hear from @harms in particular, how quick did these guys drop off their level? He would certainly be an authority or anyone that watched them of course. Certainly, Ronaldo isn’t stopping.
Maradona stopped way earlier. Pelé lasted a bit longer, but at this age he was already playing in United States. Cruyff at the age of 36 went to Feyenoord after Ajax didn’t agree to prolong his contract on Cruyff’s terms and won them the league, becoming footballer of the year in Netherlands (Ajax had Rijkaard and Van Basten, who had scored 31 goals in 31 games, if you want context on the opposition).

Di Stéfano & Puskás are the ones who still performed at this age at the highest level, but Cristiano had already surpassed them career-wise some time ago.

Jericho

That's about it.

Ronaldo is one of the 2 best humans to ever play this sport.
Just because he's 36, doesn't change it that much.
Interesting. Where does he rank among mammals?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Van Nistelrooy was an amazing finisher.

He came in after the Cole & Yorke days, both of who scored plenty, but absolutely annihilated their totals, as well as being a one man attack at times.

But I'd always have Ronaldo.

el3mel

I'm sorry but there's no contest here. RVN was a great player but Ronaldo is an absolute GOAT, in finishing and everything else.

largelyworried

Ruud had the ability to finish from the most unpromising looking position. But in every other way Ronaldo is better.

Ronaldo now vs peak RVN is an interesting one. I'll wait to the end of the season to answer it.

Ronaldo of a few years ago though? No contest, as good as RVN was. I do think RVN might have been a better one touch finisher though.

gibers

Finishing and off the ball movement go to RVN. Aerial ability goes to CR because he has a superior leap but CRs heading technique just shades RVN's.

If we are talking about the current CR, RVN was superior was better as a striker/CF. Ruud was much better at holding up the ball.

CR from 07 to 15 was a level above as a football player.

Last edited:

GMoore23

Ruud was better at protecting the ball/hold up, similar players inside the box but Ronaldo miles ahead everywhere else

Paxi

Maradona stopped way earlier. Pelé lasted a bit longer, but at this age he was already playing in United States. Cruyff at the age of 36 went to Feyenoord after Ajax didn’t agree to prolong his contract on Cruyff’s terms and won them the league, becoming footballer of the year in Netherlands (Ajax had Rijkaard and Van Basten, who had scored 31 goals in 31 games, if you want context on the opposition).

Di Stéfano & Puskás are the ones who still performed at this age at the highest level, but Cristiano had already surpassed them career-wise some time ago.
Thanks for your input yet again. You’re like a footballing wiki.

Just while you’re here, how longdo you think Ronaldo keep going at this level, providing he doesn’t suffer any horrific injuries?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm a big Ronaldo fan. With that disclaimer, take some of Ronaldo's goals from last 3-4 years and there's not really a comparison. I don't remember Ruud scoring such goals.

This season so far Ronaldo has scored goals in the box so I understand the comparisons but I'd say give it some time. He still has those goals outside the box coming.