Ronaldo potential signing implications

caid

I guess it lets Cavani go play for his country and deal with the isolation rules after. He'll be available to rest Ronaldo or come on for the last 20 mins as a supersub most weeks with a few extra breaks himself, which isn't the end of the world at his age.
Greenwood can play as a 3rd choice for the league cups and whatnot and do a job against 9 out of 10 teams. It'll cut his chances but playing with Ronaldo won't hurt. With a 2 year contract it leaves an obvious route to the first team around the point when Greenwood will need it.
Its made a lot of squad and backup players redundant and their time is up, now or next year or the year after. They might play once in a blue moon and grab a cap or two a season till their contract is up but they're basically done. Competition for places in the front 4 is just too far for James, Lingard, Martial and Mata and it'd take an injury crisis for just one of them to get off the bench for 10 mins. You might want to keep one of the four, you might want to keep Mata to transition him to a coaching role or something but they should be looking to move on. Hopefully we can get Amad a decent loan move, he looks ready for first team football.
It wont have much effect past the front 4. Maybe we double down on more defence minded midfielders, we probably wont be doing much high pressing.

Dante

Average bang
RW: Sancho (£350k pw), Greenwood (£75k pw)

CF: Ronaldo (£480k pw), Cavani (£250k pw)

LW: Rashford (£200k pw), Martial (£250k pw), Pogba (£290k pw), James (£45k pw), Elanga (£1.5k per week)

#10: Bruno (£180k pw), VDB(£120k pw), Lingard (£75k pw)

I think something needs to happen around the players in bold.

My preference would be to sell Martial and Pogba in order to free up wages. Then make either James or Elanga our temporary 6th choice across the frontline until Amad comes back.

There's also a question hanging around VDB/Lingard. Lingard's on £75k pw compared to Van de Beek on £120k pw. I think the selling VDB is probably the safer option considering his complete inability to make an impact at Premier League level. But it could go either way.

caid

LW: Rashford (£200k pw), Martial (£250k pw), Pogba (£290k pw), James (£45k pw), Elanga (£1.5k per week)

My preference would be to sell Martial and Pogba in order to free up wages. Then make either James or Elanga our temporary 6th choice across the frontline until Amad comes back.

There's also a question hanging around VDB/Lingard. Lingard's on £75k pw compared to Van de Beek on £120k pw. I think the selling VDB is probably the safer option considering his complete inability to make an impact at Premier League level. But it could go either way.
Keep Pogba (for one more year anyway), we dont need any of the other bolded. If Bruno gets injured then you move Pogba across and use Rashford LW. If Pogba and Bruno get injured then you drop Sancho in and start Greenwood. Any other position across the front 4 you can swap players around similarly. It'd take a lot of injuries for any of the others to get near the team.
VDB could do a job in midfield possibly but he's just not needed in the attacking positions.

roseguy64

Jones, Pereira, Mata, Lingard and Martial are now not needed at all and I’d do all I can to move them on before next week.

I never understood the new contract for Mata seeing we’d signed Sancho and also Diallo last season but I honestly think we could move Lingard and Martial on for around £50 million combined which is also a saving of £400K a week in wages too.
Solskjaer said that Jones is around 6 weeks away from being able to play regular football. No one is gonna sign him. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's not registered. Same with Grant.

Pereira is already out on loan. Mata won't be sold. We signed him to be a squad player. I'm sure he would have known that he's gonna mainly play cup games and be mostly on the bench.

KD6-3.7

One thing I’m curious about is the penalties and free kicks. Honestly Ronaldo should be nowhere near our free kicks with Bruno and Pogba as our options.

but penalties is an interesting one, there’s no doubt Ronaldo is a brilliant penalty taker but Bruno has been incredible for us and only missed like one.

Scholsey2004

One thing I’m curious about is the penalties and free kicks. Honestly Ronaldo should be nowhere near our free kicks with Bruno and Pogba as our options.

but penalties is an interesting one, there’s no doubt Ronaldo is a brilliant penalty taker but Bruno has been incredible for us and only missed like one.
No way Bruno even attempts to take pens ahead of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is Portugals GOAT.

CloneMC16

No way Bruno even attempts to take pens ahead of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is Portugals GOAT.
He is, but Bruno is more successful at both. I would have Bruno on both, but Ronaldo's ego will not allow that.

Lingard and James should have been sold before Ronaldo came in. Both have suitors and will bring in a decent fee. I don't see why anybody would buy Martial. He was absolutely atrocious last season and had a serious knee injury that kept him out for 5 months. The wage he earns is also way too much for his actual ability. Nobody is paying him that. He should be leaving next summer if he's willing to leave and whether we can find a buyer. Unless Cavani gets pissed at not being first choice, I don't see him going anywhere.

With Ronaldo, I don't think we will go in for Haaland next season. I never expected he would sign for us, either way. We'll either bank on Greenwood being able to play there or we'll have to look for another option.

KD6-3.7

He is, but Bruno is more successful at both. I would have Bruno on both, but Ronaldo's ego will not allow that.

You can make a case for penalties but there's no way Ronaldo should be allowed anywhere near our free kicks over Bruno.

MrSingh2002

Lingard, Martial and Mata should be the ones sold asap.

I don't want to see VdB leave instead of any of those 3 players. Their time is well and truly up.

Tallis

James, Martial and Lingard should move on in my view. I don’t see much point of either of them staying. I would rather give the minutes to Elanga instead of James and Lingard isn’t really a backup to Bruno (neither is DVB but I think he can play as a 8). Martial has no chance now.

Varane around town

The one certainty is that Cavani will be leaving at the end of this season but we all knew that.

Call me cynical but I can't imagine the club sanctioning this move unless they had plans to get one or two out of the door. I think we'll see Lingard going to West Ham which is a move that suits everyone. Then maybe a last minute surprise? Martial going out on loan? I think that would really suit Martial, he's basically 2nd/3rd choice in his positions now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Imagine teams having to deal with Cavani and Cristiano in the box :drool: defenders will be pulled apart
Cavani and Ronaldo after a gruelling CL midweek and then 90 mins against Burnley on the Saturday

lsd

The Oracle

There is not a mission Bruno will be taking penalties now not free kicks unless Ronaldo is of the field

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Martial will fold just like he did when Zlatan arrived. It’s best to find a way out for him. A side like Lille would be happy to take him on in a similar deal to Memphis with us getting a % of a future sale.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Martial will fold just like he did when Zlatan arrived. It’s best to find a way out for him. A side like Lille would be happy to take him on in a similar deal to Memphis with us getting a % of a future sale.
I had way more hope for him than Memphis, but think you might be right. Although, Memphis is at Barca now, so should take solace in that!

CR1

Against low block teams I would suggest the following starting eleven now:

Ronaldo Cavani
Pogba Fernandes Sancho
Fred
Shaw Maguire Varane Awb
Ddg

Pace is not really that important when playing against low block teams. Creativity, movement and technique is. You get that in the form of Pogba, Fernandes and Sancho. Fred to mop up. After you score and the other team is forced to attack you can bring on Rashford and James etc from the bench to hit them on the counter. If you want more pace and work rate from the get go then you let one of them start in place of Pogba or Sancho.

And then against attacking teams I would suggest the following starting eleven:

Rashford Greenwood Sancho
Fernandes
Fred McTominay
Shaw Maguire Varane Awb
Henderson

This is the type of games that you bring on Ronaldo and Cavani from the bench, when you need a bit of experience to see games out. Alternatively, you can of course start one of them ahead of Greenwood and only bring in one of them as a sub. I would also try to play Telles together with Ronaldo and Cavani a bit, as he can give them those low and hard quality crosses into the box even better than Shaw can.

I would consider shifting Martial now, along with Lingard. Lots of players probably need to go out on loan as well. Amad and maybe Elanga come to mind, but there's many more. I don't see them getting much game time otherwise. Squad is pretty bloated but we still need a new CDM/DLP and there's a question mark over who the back-up RB is going to be. If Jones leaves we'll also need a new fifth choice CB.
Obviously both Ronaldo and Cavani can play against attacking teams as well. I would start them both in a the below formation in Champions League games:

Ronaldo Cavani
Fernandes
_______ Fred ________
Shaw Maguire Varane Awb
Ddg

In this formation the two empty slots are to be filled by Rashford or Pogba and Mctominay or Vdb, respectively. Obviously, if it's Rashford then he moves up in the formation to play in the left forward position, not in midfield.

Obviously start Ronaldo and Cavani a lot on the PL as well, but definitely in every CL game unless it's a game where you can give minutes to the Academy players.

I made a post where I detailed how the competition should decide the starting eleven:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/with-ronaldo-how-do-we-line-up.465057/page-3#post-27715762