Votes: 824 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 753 47.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
His performance last night showed that he wants to stay and is willing to work hard for the team. Apparently ten Hag has spoken to a few of our players already, wonder if he’s one of them and ten Hag told him what he expects. His pressing and tracking back last night shows that he’s willing to adapt to what the new manager will want from him. Obviously he ain’t getting any younger so we need a new striker and Ronaldo will need to accept a rotation role next season if he stays. I think Ronaldo will be useful to the younger lads that ten Hag may bring up to the first team and he’ll give experience and knowledge to any incoming signings which will Most likely be young aswell if ten Hag wants to build a young team. He may aswell just end his career with us and then start his coaching with us.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ah I mean I havent a clue to be honest, but....clarifying that....just seems a little bit off to me. I think he said "come on, finish" to the cameraman when he was following him around.

That in combination with the apparent tears at the end of the game seems a bit weird for a guy who's staying. Who knows though, I hope I am wrong !!
I hope you’re wrong too! I mean I didn’t get the tears feeling myself watching him go round. He was smiling and waving. Keane didn’t get that impression either. I thought if he was going it would have been more obvious tbh knowing how emotional Ronnie gets. Going back to the instagram post too; the wording was very much as though he intends to stay and contribute in getting the team back?

peridigm

I think he should stay as long as ETH sees a place for him. We would be serious contenders for EL, which is not the glory of Europe, but it's a trophy that we've won 5 years ago and something we need to do again asap.

SirAF

Ageist
I want him to stay, but I think he’ll leave. It’s obviously up to him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ah I mean I havent a clue to be honest, but....clarifying that....just seems a little bit off to me. I think he said "come on, finish" to the cameraman when he was following him around.

That in combination with the apparent tears at the end of the game seems a bit weird for a guy who's staying. Who knows though, I hope I am wrong !!
Yeah, his emotions at the end of the match seemed very much like a guy playing his last match at Old Trafford.

Feck knows, though. He’s had a horrible life event to deal with. So his emotions will be all over the place.

From a football perspective there are pros and cons to him staying that’s for sure. Certainly no disaster if this is his final season. Could even be for the best, in the same way that our top goalscorer, Ruud, moving on turned out fine for us.

youmeletsfly

Madrid were in the same situation, they removed 50 goals a season and, at the start, it didn't really go that well. If we remove 25-30 goals out of this team, we're in serious trouble, no matter who the next manager is, ETH or Pep/Klopp.

I think he still has the legs for one more season and he should stay.

m1tch

Short of an offer from a big club with champions league football then I think he stays. It's less than ideal for him to be at a club that's not in the champions league but I think there will be a pride in him of not wanting to finish his second spell with us when the team in such a bad way.

Djemba-Djemba

I don't think any Utd fan would resent him leaving to go Bayern or back to Real or anywhere really as long as it's not City or Liverpool.

He's carried himself with class and dignity and when our season went to one game a week and he had time to properly recover he's been brilliant and far and away our best player.

He's enhanced his legendary status in my opinion, obviously ideally he'd have come back and we won the League but there's also something admirable in him coming back when we've been an utter fecking disgrace and yet he's maintained high standards throughout.

I think he probably is off.

Xanther

Milan/Inter are respectable clubs and it'd be awesome for him and them to associate with each other, they probably won't care about his age and his level could sustain further in Serie A, CL locked in, both could do with a Ronaldo-type figure to get into the CL knockouts again

Bayern may need a Lewa replacement and they're always a strong shout for the CL, with the right system he could annihilate the German league

Atleti are a big club, they wouldn't say no to Ronaldo

Chelsea, London club, CL locked in, attractive proposition generally as a club, not really a detested choice among Utd fans like City would be

PSG, CL, league title almost always in the bag, schedule between league and CL probably most relaxed amongst all the top 5 leagues, desperately need a Ronaldo-type figure to help stop them choking in the CL

He doesn't need money. Basically my guy has options and him being 37 doesn't matter

Irwin99

I'd really like him to stay but i can't really see it because he's so driven by glory and champions league records. Bayern would be a good move for him, and eventually moving back to sporting maybe.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A few weeks ago I'd have said get rid if possible but I've been swayed to keep him based on recent performances. Probably wrongly as he's only likely to decline from here.

Given that we're only in the Europa (or worse) he can play one game a week without the fuss around dropping him. We can't spend big on a striker because of the circus every time he's left out, spend the funds elsewhere.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Before Euro, there was zero indication that Ronaldo wanted to leave Juventus, and all of sudden, Ronaldo asked to leave Juventus. Ronaldo isn’t the type of guy who’s going make noise now like some other players. I still can’t see how Ronaldo wants to stay without competing the league or any major trophy. Unless if ETH tells Ronaldo, we are going to challenge the league.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd really like him to stay but i can't really see it because he's so driven by glory and champions league records. Bayern would be a good move for him, and eventually moving back to sporting maybe.
He's already got the champions league record sewn up for the foreseeable. Miles ahead of Messi who is in serious decline, and would probably need another 4 or 5 years to get there. When he'll be long off to the USA/China etc.

He can set many new records here. Already oldest player to hit 100 premier league goals, he can motor up the United all time list, and you just feel if it was worth coming back to us, staying just 1 year slightly ruins it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A few weeks ago I'd have said get rid if possible but I've been swayed to keep him based on recent performances. Probably wrongly as he's only likely to decline from here.

Given that we're only in the Europa (or worse) he can play one game a week without the fuss around dropping him. We can't spend big on a striker because of the circus every time he's left out, spend the funds elsewhere.
Importantly, we need to properly recruit in centre mid first too.
He's the ideal striker to put off signing big up front for a year.

We'll need some sort of player like DCL to be back up, basically do what we thought Cavani would be doing.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Purely on the pitch I'd love for us use him a lot more sparingly, and as you really should use a man who is almost 40. Once a week at most, 60 minutes if possible at most. Even last night when he was way more active than usual he was utterly gassed by the 75th minute. Whether he'll accept that shouldn't really matter imo.

Off the pitch is the reason he's 100% going to still be here. He's still a marketing monster, keeps us in the headlines and by all accounts seems a solid pro on the training pitch.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Purely on the pitch I'd love for us use him a lot more sparingly, and as you really should use a man who is almost 40. Once a week at most, 60 minutes if possible at most. Even last night when he was way more active than usual he was utterly gassed by the 75th minute. Whether he'll accept that shouldn't really matter imo.

Off the pitch is the reason he's 100% going to still be here. He's still a marketing monster, keeps us in the headlines and by all accounts seems a solid pro on the training pitch.
Shouldn’t matter to whom though? The press would have their angle to work on a ‘rift’ between the new manager and one of the most written about players on the planet, plus ten Hag really doesn’t need rough waters where avoidable during his first season.

If Ronaldo stays, but doesn’t play ball, it’d be a big problem in the dressing room and for us as a whole.

C'est Moi Cantona

If Ronaldo gets an offer from a top club with CL football then I expect him to go, which is fair enough, but also seems unlikely, and i'd guess he knows that himself, which is why we're not getting much sign that he is leaving.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Importantly, we need to properly recruit in centre mid first too.
He's the ideal striker to put off signing big up front for a year.

We'll need some sort of player like DCL to be back up, basically do what we thought Cavani would be doing.
Just someone that is actually available to back up when called on would be a start. Strikers don't come cheap though.

Polar

We need to buy one more player up front regardless of whether Ronaldo stay or not.

1. If the consequence of “Ronaldo stay” is that we don’t bother to buy a new attacker (for the future), I prefer if Ronaldo leave

2, If we buy a new attacker anyway, I prefer if Ronaldo stay.

I cross my fingers for alternative 2.

Eli Zee

I think it would be sad to end your career at the club In its current state and he'll be off to retire somewhere with one final shot or two of glory

Skills

Snitch
Before Euro, there was zero indication that Ronaldo wanted to leave Juventus, and all of sudden, Ronaldo asked to leave Juventus. Ronaldo isn’t the type of guy who’s going make noise now like some other players. I still can’t see how Ronaldo wants to stay without competing the league or any major trophy. Unless if ETH tells Ronaldo, we are going to challenge the league.
Only God knows

Idxomer

:lol:

Gavinb33

Ronaldo "I am a slave"

RedStarUnited

Dont bother playing him in the Europa league games and we have a fresh Ronaldo every week in the Prem.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo won't go anywhere not called Real Madrid. A huge part of his brand is this 'romantic' association of his with the rise of both Madrid and United, after their respective periods of a mini-slump. Madrid will not buy him and hence he's not going to leave United. He can't afford another 'Juventus' in his career as that would be the last thing people remember about him (recency bias).

Besides this - why would he change his club doctors, training schedule and coaching during a World Cup year - his last chance to flip the Messi vs Ronaldo debate (assuming Portugal nicks it)? The changes to all of that after going to another league may not suit his body at this age.

Reactions: oates

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Surely he offers more than someone like haller? Does haller chase and press?

Submarine Chief

I would think that it would come down to who will give him the most playing time.

He has worked hard to stay fit and it seems he didn’t care to be pulled.
Seeing him come in for the last thirty minutes would give the team a lift. What opposing team wants to face that?
But what starting striker wants to know that he will be pulled in every game to give him time.

troylocker

The way Ronaldo has been tracking back recently makes me believe he can play a role similar to Haller plays at Ajax for ETH, but remains to be seen if this can happen on a regular basis based on Ronaldo’s age.
Ronaldo pressings per 90 last 6 matches: 6,2
Ronaldo pressings per 90 in the attacking 3rd: 2

Haller pressings per 90: 19
Haller pressings per 90 in the attacking 3rd: 11

Ronaldo pressings total the last 6 matches: 37 (12 in the attacking 3rd)
Haller pressings against Benfica alone: 52 (32 in the attacking 3rd)

Do you really think they can play similar roles?

troylocker

Great post, and contrary to what some people believe, I think Ronaldo will relish the role that you're suggesting - being the role model for the younger players
Just like our squad has been elevated from last season with his presence this season?

Greck

Ronaldo pressings per 90 last 6 matches: 6,2
Ronaldo pressings per 90 in the attacking 3rd: 2

Haller pressings per 90: 19
Haller pressings per 90 in the attacking 3rd: 11

Ronaldo pressings total the last 6 matches: 37 (12 in the attacking 3rd)
Haller pressings against Benfica alone: 52 (32 in the attacking 3rd)

Do you really think they can play similar roles?
Informative. Is a high press even possible without striker involvement. Can a team pass out of the back without a keeper? I'm not sure what kind 4th dimension pressing we're asking of ETH where the striker stays idle. If we wanted to make exemptions we should just have gone for Pochettino, when you hire managers like ETH you don't dictate how they play. I already get the feeling this kind of thing was a reason he was asking those assurances to be backed over the big names. It's just disappointing some of us have already concluded he should be exempt rather than asking him to adapt to make it work for ETH.

Xanther

What other top club would sign him serious question?
In my unqualified opinion, I reckon Milan, Inter, Bayern (if they lose Lewa), Atleti, Chelsea and PSG would love to have Ronaldo.

Assuming that he'd drop some of his wage demands too, because he's 37 and desperate to play in the CL (I'm guessing)

Gottabekiddingme

Ronaldo left Juventus because newly appointed Allegri told him he'd have to compete for a spot in the starting 11. If ETH says the same thing to him he'd leave

lex talionis

We’re going to see an even better Ronaldo next season. No Ole albatross, a manager who knows what he’s doing and midfielders who can pass the ball. But his minutes will have to be managed well.

Status
Not open for further replies.