• Yes

Votes: 824 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 753 47.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cafer007

so it was unfortunate that Ronlado had to play in that disjointed team last year but I have a feeling we will finally turn the corner and start playing as a team.

Bobski

Disagree here again mate. Lukaku showed that he wouldn’t be scoring at all if they kept playing him because his form was awful. You think Tuchel didn’t know what sort of player he was getting? He wanted those goals but Lukaku just didn’t hit form. In fact the fact they even bought shows to you that all these elite managers still fully understand the value of having someone who can bang them in for fun.
I don't understand Utd or Chelsea taking Lukaku because his limitations have been obvious since he was on loan to WBA, poor technique, inability to link up with others, doesn't exploit his pace and strength to its highest potential, but he is generally a good finisher and has good instincts in terms of his movement and runs when his head is right.

Maybe seen as a bit of a short cut, get the goalscorer, sort out the defense, you will win games while you are developing others to expand the attacking style.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don’t know. I guarantee if he doesn’t get hurt though they will be a better team for it. Also I already said, maybe they’re the exception. Not everyone has Pep coaching them. I listed all these other teams (One of whom just had a much better year than City and knocked them out of the CL) who all have a striker who scores the bulk of their goals.

How on earth this did we get here in football where I have to argue that having a 25+ goals a year is a good thing:lol:
It might have helped if you hadn't initially responded in such a patronising way to someone rightly saying you don't need a 25 goal a season striker. Because arguing that it's better to have a 25 goal a season player isn't the same thing.

Also, it isn't just City or Pep. In 06/07 we won the league and reached the semi-finals of the CL without any of our players hitting the 25 goal mark for the season. This coming after we had sold RVN, a striker who had returned as many as 44 goals in previous seasons. Yet in only one of his seasons did we hit the same goal tally as a team that we managed the season after he left. As long as the team is scoring enough, it doesn't matter in the slightest where the goals come from.

And removing your best individual goalscorer doesn't always mean fewer goals for the team. It depends on what that player is adding overall and what else you have in the squad. The latter of which is the issue with the idea of letting Ronaldo go now. Unlike when we sold RVN, we don't have players of the profile of a young Ronaldo/Rooney capable of stepping up.

Last edited:

jm99

He is right though, it is perfect when you spread your goals over several players across team and don't depend on form of one star goalscorer, and it fits ETH playstyle, I always hated depending on one player for goals. So he is right, you don't need 25 goal striker if you have proper team structure where goal can come from any direction. That is my dream scenario, that is why I want Ronaldo out and ETH to have blank canvas and make us a fearsome team as a whole, not team where everything comes through one player.
Is it perfect when you don't have a 25 goal striker

Here are the last ten cl winners

21/22: real Madrid (benzema)
20/21: Chelsea (probably the only team that fits your description)
19/20: bayern (lewandowski)
18/19: Liverpool (salah)
17/18: Madrid (ronaldo)
16/17: Madrid (Ronaldo)
15/16: Madrid (Ronaldo)
14/15: Barca (messi)
13/14: Madrid (ronaldo)
12/13: bayern (muller had 23 goals)

So every champions league winning side in the last decade bar one has had a 25 goal a season player, simply because players like that often make the difference

The United

Don't get me wrong, ideally you want both, lots of people scoring heavily, but I think individual goal tallies are massively overrated and if you are not making the team better then the goals are worthless. Moving away from Ronaldo, did Lukaku not show that this season, if he had started every game he probably would have ended up with 25-30 goals and Chelsea would have been a worse and more predictable team for it, but you would also have had Chelsea fans wondering who else would score the goals.
You want both ideally. You have one. Now, how can we get the other one this season which should be the focus really?

I mean without having any kind of plan at all and getting rid of the one we have would not be ideal at this point which is a shit situation to be in for us as the guy is 38 in the next season.

Yes, this is Ronaldo's thread. Do we have enough money to buy a decent striker? Probably not. Do we even have a decent striker to try to buy? No idea. So, all these 'discussions' about let's get rid of this guy even in this thread does not generate any quality arguments.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

We already have the best striker in Ronaldo who will put out score Haaland and Nevez next season!

If Ronaldo feels unloved and unwanted he will go.. nobody wants to be somewhere they are not wanted.. Ronaldo just wants to enjoy the last few years of his career with the love he deserves/craves. It will be a sad day once he's retired so enjoy him while you can..

he gets enough hate from rival fans the media, he doesn't need it from his own teams fans. Some of the comments on this thread are borderline slander.. not what you expect from your own teams fans when you was one of the brightest shining lights of a poor season..

for example Ronaldo had a better season individually than Messi in the worst struggling Manchester United team in years and years..but I'm sure PSG fans are not debating if Messi should stay or not as it's a stupid question.. just like this is.. Ronaldo should and I hope he stays.

We already have the best striker in Ronaldo who will put out score Haaland and Nevez next season!
Ronaldo hasn’t outscored Haaland in the past 3 seasons despite Haaland’s injuries so I wouldn’t bet on it when Haaland is joining a better team and heading into his peak and Ronaldo is going to be 38 next season.

choccy77

Four Four Two Magazine reporting that Mendes is looking for a new club for Ronaldo.

Sounds like he maybe leaving.

Jericho

Would be very weird to see him play in the Europa League if he happens. Would he even "lower" himself?

Teja

He was brought in to turn a "title challenging" team into a title winner.

But I think even in the season we finished 2nd, everyone knew it was a fluke. We are still no where near good enough and he won't change anything by himself in one season.

Given that I'll be happy if he leaves.

devips

He was brought in to turn a "title challenging" team into a title winner.

But I think even in the season we finished 2nd, everyone knew it was a fluke. We are still no where near good enough and he won't change anything by himself in one season.

Given that I'll be happy if he leaves.
The bolded part is a myth sought to be perpetuated by some idiotic fans.

Nobody finiishes 2nd by fluke over a period of one year and 38 games. Nobody.

It's time fans tried to desist from such self-pity.

romufc

Exactly this. Its actually a pathetic view from fans.

People getting a league campaign confused with a cup competition here.

Rolaholic

Not sure why people are hoping he leaves when we'll be stuck with feck all up top if he does

choccy77

United sell him August 31st and blame having no time to sign anyone all window.

Teja

Points don't lie, it's not a normal occurrence that a team finishes 2nd with 74 pts. Might be the lowest total in the past decade.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why does everyone want Ronaldo to leave? He was the 3rd highest goalscorer in the league playing for a very poor united side. Imagine the amount of goals he could score playing under an attacking coach. Also if he leaves then we literally have no goalscorer in the team.

TOKUGAWA-X

We should move on from Ronaldo but i dont think we will because 2 great CFs just signed for City and Liverpool.

We would have to sign an upcoming, potential CF and where is he ?

choccy77

We should move on from Ronaldo but i dont think we will because 2 great CFs just signed for City and Liverpool.

We would have to sign an upcoming, potential CF and where is he ?
He's scheduled for 2025 when we have no defenders in the squad.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

You can if the rest of the bunch is absolute shit

KeanoMagicHat

Also given the same team the previous season finished 3rd. So was the previous season also a fluke? That 6th was our level all along? Of course not.

jm99

Also given the same team the previous season finished 3rd. So was the previous season also a fluke? That 6th was our level all along? Of course not.
The previous season we finished 3rd with 66 points, which would have finished 6th in many of the previous seasons, including this season as it happens

MalaysianRed7

Stay. I’m not even going to elaborate on that. You’ve got to be nigh on insane to think otherwise, namely like the certain scouser who spits on little girls.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite

Don't think it's self-pity. It's realism. We finished 2nd only because other teams had major injury problems/changed managers. Order was restored last season. 2nd place was Liverpool on 92 points. We are a million miles from actually being a 2nd placed team in this league - that's the point people are making.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Ronaldo won’t move the needle enough, he’ll get his stats but his teams become worse. If he leaves watch united finish in the same spot or better next season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

So with Leicester winning PL title not long ago (even much better than our 2nd), its also not a fluke then. They should be winning or competing for league title every season.

devips

Don't think it's self-pity. It's realism. We finished 2nd only because other teams had major injury problems/changed managers. Order was restored last season. 2nd place was Liverpool on 92 points. We are a million miles from actually being a 2nd placed team in this league - that's the point people are making.
The same logic applies to us as well. We too had injuries, and our manager was changed midway.

The Sad Clown

One of the greatest players of all time whose age has certainly shown this season. And yet even with his runs of poor form he has been our best performer and at times put other members of the squad to shame. Not actually the best situation to be in all things considered.

Longshanks

Yeah and if my auntie was my uncle and all that. Thats football liverpools sussposed injury crisis is massively exaggerated they lost two starting CB's to injury for most of the season that was it, other than that they didn't suffer anymore than normal or anymore than anyone else, if two starting cbs being out causes such issues they have serious squad issues. Chelsea had a bad run under Frank, again that's the way of it, we have had a disaster of a season this season and changed managers, does that mean spurs didn't deserve to finish 4th or weren't actually better than us over the course of the season.

We were a better team without Ronaldo of that there can be no question. Alot of people at the start of the season thought the capture of Ronaldo meant we could push on as a team and close the gap to City, but all he's done has destroyed the teamspirit and destroyed the confidence of our key performers from last season, and caused a rift in the squad but at least he's scored a few goals so individually he is fine shame the team has fallen apart round him, partly caused by him probably not deliberately but just the way that he is.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Yeah and if my auntie was my uncle and all that. Thats football liverpools sussposed injury crisis is massively exaggerated they lost two starting CB's to injury for most of the season that was it, other than that they didn't suffer anymore than normal or anymore than anyone else, if two starting cbs being out causes such issues they have serious squad issues. Chelsea had a bad run under Frank, again that's the way of it, we have had a disaster of a season this season and changed managers, does that mean spurs didn't deserve to finish 4th or weren't actually better than us over the course of the season.

We were a better team without Ronaldo of that there can be no question. Alot of people at the start of the season thought the capture of Ronaldo meant we could push on as a team and close the gap to City, but all he's done has destroyed the teamspirit and destroyed the confidence of our key performers from last season, and caused a rift in the squad but at least he's scored a few goals so individually he is fine shame the team has fallen apart round him, partly caused by him probably not deliberately but just the way that he is.
Okey dokes. Stating opinions as facts doesn't make them facts. It amazes me how some fans blame Ronaldo for last season.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
So with Leicester winning PL title not long ago (even much better than our 2nd), its also not a fluke then. They should be winning or competing for league title every season.
The one doesn't follow from the other.

The point is that your opponents under-performing relative to whatever standard isn't a fluke.

Several teams did under-perform over the course of a full season - and Leicester took advantage of that. But - again - that isn't a fluke.

They were worthy league winners that season - it wasn't stupid luck.

Varane around town

At what point are the 'Ronaldo is the problem' crew going to take a day off.

I completely understand why people don't like Ronaldo and 'Ronaldo is the problem' is an obvious hipster take to display that you're a person who really thinks about football but it's nonsense.

The guy scored 18 league goals for us this season. Won games on his own and dragged us into the CL Knockout round.

It's undeniable that Ronaldo isn't the player he once was. Ten Hag will need to manage his games and use him carefully. None of that alters the fact that Ronaldo leaving would be a disaster for us. I

Status
Not open for further replies.