Votes: 824 52.3%
  • No

Votes: 753 47.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
That's why we finished with 16 more points and league goals the season before. :lol:
This is the bit that the cultists keep missing. This season was United's worst PL points finish EVER. Where would United be without him though?! Probably in the Champions League. Like last season. And the season before that.....

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Probably all of them combined into one, really. He’s a 38 year old who isn’t going to press, we aren’t in the CL, Ten Hag most likely won’t bend over for him as his undroppable striker, and there’s been plenty of reports that the dressing room was sort of split between him and another faction.
You're probably right.
Also the idea Ronaldo is just telling the club he wants out because of a lack of movement is transparent bullshit that fans would see through if they gave it a moment's thought.
The first reports of Ronaldo trying to engineer a move away came over a month ago almost immediately the season ended. The Spanish press were reporting Mendes was trying ti get Ronaldo back to Real Madrid as early as May. The club is not juat finding out. The news has come from Ronaldo's camp probably because the club has not budged and now he's trying to apply pressure

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
You're probably right.
Also the idea Ronaldo is just telling the club he wants out because of a lack of movement is transparent bullshit that fans would see through if they gave it a moment's thought.
The first reports of Ronaldo trying to engineer a move away came over a month ago almost immediately the season ended. The Spanish press were reporting Mendes was trying ti get Ronaldo back to Real Madrid as early as May. The club is not juat finding out. The news has come from Ronaldo's camp probably because the club has not budged and now he's trying to apply pressure
Agree.

Rojofiam

This is the bit that the cultists keep missing. This season was United's worst PL points finish EVER. Where would United be without him though?! Probably in the Champions League. Like last season. And the season before that.....
But that was apparently a fluke because...no spectators and other teams having a bad season...funniest shit ever. It's like other teams played their games with full attendances except us.

Eddy_JukeZ

Really hope he doesn't stay.

I was indifferent to it before, but I never want to keep players that want to leave.

Only an idiot would believe the notion he's fed up with our 'lack of transfers' when it's obvious he's wanted out for a while now.

Eddy_JukeZ

You're probably right.
1000%.

His fanboys are already parroting that myth throughout the internet.

The sooner we get rid of him, the quicker we can return to a functional top side.

No big club will go for him.

Josh 76

if he is desperate to leave, he will have to take a paycut. No other CL club will pay him what we do
If he is so desperate to play in the CL, then I guess he shouldn’t be bothered about taking a pay cut.

Will be interesting to see how many offers he has. There is no chance he would be a starter in any of the teams who are favourites to win the CL.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
You just wonder if Bruno will benefit if he goes.
I mean, it seems like he intimidates some of the other players like Bruno and Maguire. That's not his fault and he's obviously not doing it deliberately, but his production now doesn't warrant some of the negative aspects (including the lack of mobility etc.). It's one thing scoring 40-50 league goals a season and having an intimidating aura, quite another scoring 18 league goals, which any number of other forward players could potentially manage.

tidraKS

I don't want him to be playing for us next season. Getting him back was a mistake at the first place, I hope we're fixing this by selling him. No rebuild is done by having Ronaldo as our main striker. Removing 500k a week from our wage bill would allow us to spend at least 50-60 million on another striker.

Who's getting him is another question. No big team will be interested in him, that's for sure. Maybe go back to Sporting and score a couple more goals in CHL, so he can keep the goals record for some more years.

Either way, I want him gone, he's completely selfish and is part of the reason we're not playing Champions League next season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I mean, it seems like he intimidates some of the other players like Bruno and Maguire. That's not his fault and he's obviously not doing it deliberately, but his production now doesn't warrant some of the negative aspects (including the lack of mobility etc.). It's one thing scoring 40-50 league goals a season and having an intimidating aura, quite another scoring 18 league goals, which any number of other forward players could potentially manage.
Think it would just mean spreading the goals about. It was as though the team began to rely on him instead of producing themselves. That is not healthy. Other areas of the team need to chip in with goals.

AndySmith1990

Best thing we could've done was let him join City. They'd be stuck with an aging ego maniac and may not have bought Haaland, weakening the in the long term. fecking sentimentality has caused us to make two utterly stupid decisions in recent years (Ole and Ronaldo)

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Think it would just mean spreading the goals about. It was as though the team began to rely on him instead of producing themselves. That is not healthy. Other areas of the team need to chip in with goals.
Same thing happened towards the end at Juventus. They called it 'dependencia' or something like that. And he was scoring more goals there than this past season at United.

DomesticTadpole

Same thing happened towards the end at Juventus. They called it 'dependencia' or something like that. And he was scoring more goals there than this past season at United.
If he does go, then others will get their chance and have no excuses if they don't take it. There have been too many excuses from them for far too long, now they have to deliver.

Bobski

Getting rid of Ronaldo is the single best transfer business Utd could be involved in this summer.

Allows Ten Hag to fully commit to a rebuild, be creative in selections, systems and set ups, build an attack for the future instead of everyone effectively orbiting the Ronaldo circus serving him. Lack of work from the front was a huge, huge fecking problem last year, not all on Ronaldo but Utd can't put out that type of attack again, gave the midfield no chance.

As long as they don't go out and bring in Lewandowski or some other mid 30's in decline star then maybe they have finally learned something from the Zlatan/Falcao/Cavani/Ronaldo foolishness.

As a delightful bonus some of the Ronaldo fan boys may follow where he goes.

MrEleson

Best thing we could've done was let him join City. They'd be stuck with an aging ego maniac and may not have bought Haaland, weakening the in the long term. fecking sentimentality has caused us to make two utterly stupid decisions in recent years (Ole and Ronaldo)
There’s a good chance they would have seen off Madrid and won the CL if they signed Ronaldo. They would’ve also won the league a lot more comfortably.

MrEleson

Only 2 players managed to score more league goals than him in the PL last season so I’m struggling to think of the number of forwards who could have bettered what he did last season especially for THIS United side that had no midfield; playing terrible football.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
If he does go, then others will get their chance and have no excuses if they don't take it. There have been too many excuses from them for far too long, now they have to deliver.
Fresh start, new manager, everyone has a blank slate. It's up to all of them to prove they belong. No one is so far gone that they can't come back, even a Martial. Of course, ETH's coaching skill will be tested as well. Can he improve what's there as well as bringing in his own guys? Inevitably, he won't fancy some and they'll have to go.

DomesticTadpole

Fresh start, new manager, everyone has a blank slate. It's up to all of them to prove they belong. No one is so far gone that they can't come back, even a Martial. Of course, ETH's coaching skill will be tested as well. Can he improve what's there as well as bringing in his own guys? Inevitably, he won't fancy some and they'll have to go.
We will find out now we have a good coach in if it is down to bad coaching in the past or if some of them really can't hack it.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Only 2 players managed to score more league goals than him in the PL last season so I’m struggling to think of the number of forwards who could have bettered what he did last season especially for THIS United side that had no midfield; playing terrible football.
How many players in the history of the PL have scored 18 goals in one campaign? Shall we count them? Bruno got 18 league goals in the 20-21 season and he's not even a striker. Patrick Bamford got 17 that same year.

The whole point is that 18 goals in the PL was amazing for a 37 year old. But for a top striker in their youth or prime, it's pretty standard. Would anyone be blown away by Haaland scoring 18 PL goals next season for example? I'd imagine he's looking for a lot more than that.

Crashoutcassius

Most definetly.

Who the feck is going to pay 500.000 per week for a 37 year old man to sit on the bench?

And no, nobody needs him, including us.

Only way he goes if he decides to play the "homesick honesty crap card" and go back to Sporting for a final season before wrapping things and calling it quits.
Ye agree sporting is his next stop.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
A huge 4 more goals than Zaha in an average Palace side.

Keefy18

:lol:

Can I have some of what you're smoking, please?
Without Ronaldo
We were a better *team* without Ronaldo.
We scored more goals without Ronaldo
We conceded less
We went from 6th to 2nd

With Ronaldo
Our team fell apart
We scored fewer goals
We conceded more goals
We went from 2nd to 6th.

Keefy18

We know how transfers work, let’s not play dumb here. You put your work in months before, you sound out the agent/club etc. you get your cards in order and you get your business done in time for your pre season tour. More so than ever we needed to get that done this season.

The crazy, crazy thing about it all is its not like were working off of some unknown list. It's literally players ETH knows and wants.

He could of easily sent a list of players back in April and allowed us to start making in roads towards signing them.

Instead we wait til the 3rd week of the window to hire a guy to do legal work on the deals.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Getting rid of Ronaldo is the single best transfer business Utd could be involved in this summer.

Allows Ten Hag to fully commit to a rebuild, be creative in selections, systems and set ups, build an attack for the future instead of everyone effectively orbiting the Ronaldo circus serving him. Lack of work from the front was a huge, huge fecking problem last year, not all on Ronaldo but Utd can't put out that type of attack again, gave the midfield no chance.

As long as they don't go out and bring in Lewandowski or some other mid 30's in decline star then maybe they have finally learned something from the Zlatan/Falcao/Cavani/Ronaldo foolishness.

As a delightful bonus some of the Ronaldo fan boys may follow where he goes.
100%. The whole circus of whether we're good enough for Ronaldo (or whether Ronaldo is good enough for us) would go away and we can focus on being a better team.

The Urban Goose

His re-signing has been a disaster, he turned us into a one dimensional side last season with his ego demanding having everything to revolve around him on the pitch which was the same at juventus and madrid in his later years at the club, before he turned back up at united we had been a more well rounded attacking unit and now a season on with him and we are panicking were the goals are going to come from. Greenwood was a bigger loss than what ronaldo will be.
This. Bringing him back was a mistake, not allowing him to leave now will be just as big a mistake too. We’re better off on the pitch without him, never mind getting rid of his absurd salary.

As an aside, isn’t it funny how we got rid of Ruud as he was making us too one-dimensional and the fluid style of play served us much better by releasing (amongst others) Ronaldo, and now we’re back in the exact same position with Ronaldo himself.

I wonder what a 21 yr old Ronaldo would say about playing with the 37 yr old Ronaldo.

JB7

There's a difference between greatest player to ever play for United and greatest United player. Ronaldo is probably the former but maybe not the latter, all depending on your opinion of George Best's ten or so years at the club.
He’s objectively not the latter, there are a number of players ahead of him whichever way you look at it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Especially as we didn't exactly finish midtable with supposedly inferior players. I can understand wanting to jump ship but people shouldn't say he wasn't part of the crew. We stuck with him through that atrocious midseason form and didn't care who got unsettled by his non-rotation. His reaction to getting subbed had RR taking off midfielders whenever we wanted to try a different central striker. We did our bit and he did his.

Even now it would have been nice to have known he wanted to leave earlier. An attacker would have been higher priority and we would have been able to offer targets greater relevance in the starting 11/rotation. NO hard feelings but don't make him out as some victim.
This is the key for me and my main gripe, a player wanting to leave is absolutely fine but don't make your intentions clear more than a month after the transfer window has opened.

ThanksBoss26

At the end of the season I thought he'd want to head off, though I actually voted Stay on here about two weeks ago as we hadn't heard much noise by that point.

Mixed feelings about the whole thing but overriding is we've had enough sideshows in the last few years with Pogba, and frankly don't need another this season. He isn't part of the long term picture after all either way. Certainly far from ideal timing but if we get the right offer, accept it. But get it done asap if that's going to be the case.

Dve

Considered signing for City, came here, contributed to a split dressing room and our worst season for a long, long time, and now wants to leave. Maybe just do so.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
He’s objectively not the latter, there are a number of players ahead of him whichever way you look at it.
I don't think he is either but he's in the discussion? Helped United win one of only 3 European Cups in their history, won a Ballon D'Or, etc. The issue is that he gave his best years to another club, which is not the case for many other United legends.

Croftona7

Yes, but where are the funds going to come from for a striker of that kind of quality? The midfield + Malacia is going to eat up basically our whole transfer allocation, in addition to which we currently have three players to play on the flanks, no credible RB and we'll need a backup striker too unless we're prepared to rely on Martial.

As much as I think it would make sense to do exactly what you argue, I think Ronaldo leaving would really put us past a tipping point when it comes to assembling a squad that could credibly challenge for top 4 next season. Unless the owners are prepared to significantly up their investment.
You make a fair point but I just think we may as well clear out any and all who don't want to be here right now and go from there, it's going to take 2-3 seasons realistically before we can reasonably expect a top 4 challenge anyway so if losing Ronaldo means that adds another season I'd take that if it means we're genuinely starting from scratch, he'd have gone next season anyway and I do think we could become a better overall team without him, which may be controversial but that's my opinion.

JB7

I don't think he is either but he's in the discussion? Helped United win one of only 3 European Cups in their history, won a Ballon D'Or, etc. The issue is that he gave his best years to another club, which is not the case for many other United legends.
Look I’m not saying he’s not up there as he’s obviously been brilliant for us but he’s not the best player we’ve seen in a United shirt during his time for the club.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Considered signing for City, came here, contributed to a split dressing room and our worst season for a long, long time, and now wants to leave. Maybe just do so.
All his fault then!

Giggsy13

The only clubs in Europe I can imagine that would put together a suitable offer are PSG or Chelsea. A move to PSG only happens if Neymar leaves, which is a far complicated move. Chelsea makes sense and if we can sort a swap deal for Werner or Zyiech then why not consider it.

Real Name

Dressing room was wonderful before he came I reckon?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Could we actually get a fee for him? That'd be some serious icing for me.

Hes either leaving this summer or next, doesn't fit into a modern front 3 and has now had his swan song with us. Let him go.

Only downside would be the social media circus which I'm sure does actually have some dollar value to the club. But no way is that more than his salary!

Status
Not open for further replies.