Ronaldo vs Ronaldo

MrEleson

Many players had more talent than CR7
I disagree. CR7 is one of the most talented players to ever play the sport.

He was prodigiously talented as a teen and at 21-22 was already by far the best player in England & beat a PRIME Drogba to the PFA player of the year while finishing 2nd in the Ballon D'or. He was undisputed top dog in the Premier League during a period when there was a prime Lampard, prime Gerrard, Ferdinand, Cole, Terry among others and he was only just getting started. Comparatively, Martial and Rashford who have been widely regarded as great young talents over the last few years are the same age or older (in Martial's case) than Ronaldo was during his revolutionary 06/07 & 07/08 seasons yet are still eons away from the level he displayed in those years (and will likely never come close). No 21-24 year old has ever showcased the level Ronaldo did at that age in the PL (or no player period).

He has a case for being the best 20-24 year old in history along R9, Pele, Messi and co so it's clear he always had a supreme, generational talent.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Which high jumper had the better peak, Sotomayor who jumped 2.45 or someone who jumped 2.40 more times than him?

Let’s just say there’s a reason why you probably can’t name any other high jumper than Sotomayor.
:lol: So true

antohan

I disagree. CR7 is one of the most talented players to ever play the sport.

He was prodigiously talented as a teen and at 21-22 was already by far the best player in England & beat a PRIME Drogba to the PFA player of the year while finishing 2nd in the Ballon D'or. He was undisputed top dog in the Premier League during a period when there was a prime Lampard, prime Gerrard, Ferdinand, Cole, Terry among others and he was only just getting started. Comparatively, Martial and Rashford who have been widely regarded as great young talents over the last few years are the same age or older (in Martial's case) than Ronaldo was during his revolutionary 06/07 & 07/08 seasons yet are still eons away from the level he displayed in those years (and will likely never come close). No 21-24 year old has ever showcased the level Ronaldo did at that age in the PL (or no player period).

He has a case for being the best 20-24 year old in history along R9, Pele, Messi and co so it's clear he always had a supreme, generational talent.
Of course he was talented, but I wouldn't put his talent ahead of R9s. What he is unquestionably the GOAT at is his application and that drive to keep improving, adapting and extracting an extra edge.

I know it sounds like I'm saying he is a well trained donkey, but I don't mean it that way. To me it's remarkable, particularly when we have consistently seen talent of that standard going to waste rather quickly.

-I'd rather watch peak R9, no doubt.

-If I had a shite team, I'd rather sign peak R9.

-If I had a great team, I'd rather CR7.

-If I were a manager and had to choose any player to have for the next decade I'd sign CR7 in July 2006.

MrEleson

Of course he was talented, but I wouldn't put his talent ahead of R9s. What he is unquestionably the GOAT at is his application and that drive to keep improving, adapting and extracting an extra edge.

I know it sounds like I'm saying he is a well trained donkey, but I don't mean it that way. To me it's remarkable, particularly when we have consistently seen talent of that standard going to waste rather quickly.

-I'd rather watch peak R9, no doubt.

-If I had a shite team, I'd rather sign peak R9.

-If I had a great team, I'd rather CR7.

-If I were a manager and had to choose any player to have for the next decade I'd sign CR7 in July 2006.
I generally agree with your point. I was more arguing the fact that the user stated that there were many players more talented than him when personally I would only say handful at most were.

antohan

I generally agree with your point. I was more arguing the fact that the user stated that there were many players more talented than him when personally I would only say handful at most were.
You were replying to someone else

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Comparing I would say that nowadays-and applying 90´s football style- Ronaldo would have much more physical competition.
He would stand out but I think he would not have so much impact.
Doing the opposite, taking Cris to 1996, in that Barça with Figo and Stoichkov, he would be brutal, would pass in front of Hierro or Alkorta like a train.

And that is the problem, it is impossible to ignore the physical now and then.
As for skills, I think they both had everything needed to score goals.
As for career, logically Cris, but Ronaldo's 96/97 at Barcelona impacted everyone.

If Ronaldo had not broken his knee, even if he had lowered the level, I think they would be very even

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You can't really think that Cristiano was a better dribbler at his peak than Ronaldo. Neither was he as fast as him or as strong. And I say that after having watched a 11/12 compilation of Cris just one or two weeks ago. Ronaldo was a freak in every aspect. Incredible ball control, probably the most explosive footballer ever, on par with the very best top speed wise and also able to outmuscle almost anyone. If you watch Ronaldo highlights, you just cqn't help thinking that nobody else in the history of football could pull this stuff off. That's not true for Cristiano, apart maybe from his all time great heading ability and the ridiculous long shots he had when he was young. But in most things, Ronaldo was simply more skillfull.

What Cristiano has above him though is decision making which is not surprising given that we are comparing a 18-22 with a 24-27 year old player. Still, that's not enough to close the gap during their peaks, IMO.

Cristiano's career trumps Ronaldo's of course but he just never burned as brightly as the Brazilian.
It’s a combination of everything. If you narrow down to as little as 1 or 2 aspect of the game, sure L.Ronaldo may look slightly better (opinion-wise) at 1 or 2 things. But overall face of it, Cristiano clearly better and more unplayable at his absolute peak.

Pace - CR7
Skill - CR7
Strength - CR7
Technique - CR7
Tricks - CR7
Athleticism - CR7
Dribbling - L. Ronaldo
Explosiveness - L.Ronaldo
Finishing - CR7
Long Shots - CR7
Header - CR7
Determination - CR7
Leadership - CR7
Decision making - CR7
Movement - CR7
Fitness - CR7
Free kicks - CR7
Crossing - CR7
Passing - CR7

You may disagree with a few of the above opinion-wise, but majority of it still goes to Cristiano favors no matter where you looking from. And this is to ignore all the Stats/Records/Goals/Trophies/Individual Awards, which all go goes to Cristiano favours overwhelmingly.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
You can't really think that Cristiano was a better dribbler at his peak than Ronaldo. Neither was he as fast as him or as strong. And I say that after having watched a 11/12 compilation of Cris just one or two weeks ago. Ronaldo was a freak in every aspect. Incredible ball control, probably the most explosive footballer ever, on par with the very best top speed wise and also able to outmuscle almost anyone. If you watch Ronaldo highlights, you just cqn't help thinking that nobody else in the history of football could pull this stuff off. That's not true for Cristiano, apart maybe from his all time great heading ability and the ridiculous long shots he had when he was young. But in most things, Ronaldo was simply more skillfull.
All of this is true. CR7 simply never had the dribbling ability that R9 did.

R9 had better close control, significantly faster acceleration, better balance, and was stronger when shielding the ball.

luke511

104 goals in 177 games for Ronaldo at R.M
450 goals in 438 games for C.Ronaldo at R.M

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
It’s a combination of everything. If you narrow down to as little as 1 or 2 aspect of the game, sure L.Ronaldo may look slightly better (opinion-wise) at 1 or 2 things. But overall face of it, Cristiano clearly better and more unplayable at his absolute peak.

Pace - CR7
Skill - CR7
Strength - CR7
Technique - CR7
Tricks - CR7
Athleticism - CR7
Dribbling - L. Ronaldo
Finishing - CR7
Long Shots - CR7
Header - CR7
Determination - CR7
Leadership - CR7
Decision making - CR7
Movement - CR7
Fitness - CR7
Free kicks - CR7
Crossing - CR7
Passing - CR7

You may disagree with a few of the above opinion-wise, but majority of it still goes to Cristiano favors no matter where you looking from. And this is to ignore all the Stats/Records/Goals/Trophies/Individual Awards, which all go goes to Cristiano favours overwhelmingly.
Ronaldo had much more pace and strength than Cr7. I don't even think CR7 receives the ball with the back to a defender in his entire career. Pace, well, an overweight Ronaldo would beat prime Kaka in training in speed tests. Same Kaka who looked faster than CR7 in 2006-2008 era

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Teams win trophies, not individuals. If Messi played for Spurs today he probably wouldn't win anything but still be the best player in the world. He was the best player in the world by at least a tier in all those years.

Football was also different in those days as teams didn't hoard talent like today. No wonder the mega stars of today look much more normal on the international scene where you can't hoard talent added with the advantage of having transformational managers.

Cristiano just left his comfy surroundings of la liga where he played in a offensive juggernaut of a team in a league where defending is a second thought. Went to a league where he plays in a dominant team, not so much from an offensive standpoint and got outscored by Zapata or quagliera, something like that. Still the best player in the league though.

He wasn't promising or anything like that, he was a monster. Every Serie A fan will fell you his season in 98 was the best they've seen in that competition or amongst them. It wasnt his potential, it was what he was already. Virtually unplayable regardless of competition or teammates.
Well let’s not talk about team trophies, lets just talk about individual impact. Cristiano won Ballon D’or 5 times, and finish as runners up 6 or 7 times, that’s 11-12 times voted as the top 2 players in the world at 3 different teams. Whereas L.Ronaldo, we all know his injuries and inconsistency over his career so there’s no comparison. But in his personal peak/best season, he could only match Ronaldo 7th best season in terms of overall output/impact in the game. You can add abit of romanticism and fantasy to consider L.Ronaldo better player individually, but let’s just say history won’t agree.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Pace - CR7
Skill - CR7
Strength - CR7
Technique - CR7
Tricks - CR7
Athleticism - CR7
Dribbling - L. Ronaldo
Finishing - CR7
Long Shots - CR7
Header - CR7
Determination - CR7
Leadership - CR7
Decision making - CR7
Movement - CR7
Fitness - CR7
Free kicks - CR7
Crossing - CR7
Passing - CR7
R9 was significantly stronger than CR7, especially when receiving a ball with his back to a defender.

R9 had significantly better acceleration (pace) than CR7. CR7 might have slightly better top speed, but that’s mostly insignificant. R9’s acceleration in the first three steps was insane.

Technique and tricks? No chance.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo had much more pace and strength than Cr7. I don't even think CR7 receives the ball with the back to a defender in his entire career. Pace, well, an overweight Ronaldo would beat prime Kaka in training in speed tests. Same Kaka who looked faster than CR7 in 2006-2008 era
Have you watched Cristiano played in 11-13? He is one of the most electrifying and unplayable player, if not the most, I’ve ever watched during those period, constant threat, non-stop running and outpacing defenders, great dribbling, great athleticism, and great body strength (and better body physics of course), unstoppable in counter attack, lead every attack on his own, combined with insane no. of goals.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
R9 was significantly stronger than CR7, especially when receiving a ball with his back to a defender.

R9 had significantly better acceleration (pace) than CR7. CR7 might have slightly better top speed, but that’s mostly insignificant. R9’s acceleration in the first three steps was insane.

Technique and tricks? No chance.
Strength and acceleration is close, but technique and tricks, CR7 is easily better. Yes L.Ronaldo may have work better in 1 or 2 tricks, but the overall variety of tricks, that’s not even close.
As for technique, shooting technique Cristiano wins easily, other technique, again Cristiano has more variety of it, L.Ronaldo works better in 1 or 2 things.
L.Ronaldo has better ball control, dribbling and explosiveness, I’ll give you that.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Have you watched Cristiano played in 11-13? He is one of the most electrifying and unplayable player, if not the most, I’ve ever watched during those period, constant threat, non-stop running and outpacing defenders, great dribbling, great athleticism, and great body strength (and better body physics of course), unstoppable in counter attack, lead every attack on his own, combined with insane no. of goals.
I was just talking about pace and strength, yet you are here talking about goals and being electrifying. R9 was faster with ball in his feet specially. Cristiano doesn't have to win at everything fanboy :lol:

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Fat Ronaldo completely redefined the role of a striker and marked the begin of new generation of number nine. He never hesitated to drop deep, starting his runs from his own half to get the ball, something was unseen before for a striker. His stats at Eindhoven, Barca and his first season at Inter were absolutely out of this world at that time and even now for most of the strikers. He was a monster, combining pace, technique, clinical finishing and an incredible sense for goals. At his peak, he was able to take on 4-5 players without breaking a sweat.

Inter Milan was a bad career choice for a player of his caliber (he went there for the money). They were in turmoil and finished 7th the season before he joined them and Milan and especially Juventus were flying too high. They still jumped to the third place after that and finished 2nd the season after. During his time there he raked up a Ballon d'Or (1997), a UEFA Cup, the Serie A Golden Boot and 2 Copa America, as well as the Player of the Tournament Award in the WC 1998 while playing for Brazil.

Then two bad knee injuries, he missed almost two whole seasons at Inter, but still came back for the WC 2002, where he was immense, scoring against every opponent but England, and received the Golden Boot. He came to Real Madrid just after they won the CL, which was the peak of the Galacticos policy and which would soon show its limits. It didn't prevent him to win a second Ballon d'Or, La Liga, the Intercontinental Supercup, the Golden Boot and a Supercup. After that it went downhill, he wasn't the same anymore, not only due to his previous knee injuries but also because of his lifestyle, a certain laziness and a natural tendency to gain weight. His injuries became more frequent, he lost his pace, became overweight and his professional career was pretty much over.

I respect and admire CR7. He's one of the greatest footballers, his rivalry with Messi will stay in football history. He's an immense athlete, a consummate professional who took self-dedication and physical preparation to another level. His career, his consistency at the highest level and his extraordinary stats speak for themselves, and won't equalled for a very long time, if ever. Not only that, he's extremely intelligent when it comes to his career choices, his investments outside the footballing world and the branding/management of his image. Fat Ronaldo was light-years behind in that matter.

However, and having seen them both play, I do personally think that when it comes to the beautiful game and talent wise, there's no contest. Fat Ronaldo did things with a ball, moved me in ways the Christiano never, ever did and that's not something that can be explained with stats, xG, or number of trophies.

Reactions: Invictus

luke511

Having C.Ronaldo in your side made your team the most dangerous in the world on the counter attack because of his speed and movement. As good as R9 was, he didn't have the same effect as CR7 did when he came to speed on the counter.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Having C.Ronaldo in your side made your team the most dangerous in the world on the counter attack because of his speed and movement. As good as R9 was, he didn't have the same effect as CR7 did when he came to speed on the counter.
Jeez. That wasn't the question was it? Was simply who is faster? Nobody talking about movement or intelligence etc. Its pretty black or white

luke511

Jeez. That wasn't the question was it? Was simply who is faster? Nobody talking about movement or intelligence etc. Its pretty black or white
"much more pace than CR7" is complete bollocks and I mention one of the reasons why that is so.

shahzy

Fat ronaldo was peak for 1-2 seasons max. Messi and Cristiano been doing it for 10 years every damn year. It's not even close. Old players are always looked back with Nostalgia, i can guarentee the 20-30 year olds currently amongst us will be telling their kids how good CR7 and Leo were even though newer and probably even better players would be playing the game in 30-40 years time. Its natural progress in anything

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I was just talking about pace and strength, yet you are here talking about goals and being electrifying. R9 was faster with ball in his feet specially. Cristiano doesn't have to win at everything fanboy :lol:
Pace and strength is what lead to being electrifying. Surely you are not comparing 34 year old Cristiano to 19 year old L.Ronaldo. 23-26 year old Cristiano is a damn fast physical beast.

luke511

Pace and strength is what lead to being electrifying. Surely you are not comparing 34 year old Cristiano to 19 year old L.Ronaldo. 23-26 year old Cristiano is a damn fast physical beast.
It's like he didn't watch C.Ronaldo before the age of 28.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Did I just read that Cristiano has better technique and tricks than Fat Ronnie? Fat Ronnie’s tricks and technique are pretty much comparable to Ronaldinho’s, so I guess to these people Cristiano’s tricks and technique > ronaldinho’s too

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
C.Ronaldo at 33 is officially recorded the fastest player (top speed) in WC 18, clocked at 34km/h with 80m sprint against Spain.

C.Ronaldo at 34 is recently recorded running 90m in 10 sec, with speed of 33.12km/h in match against Napoli.

I am not even talking about physical peak C.Ronaldo at 23-26. The older, slower version of C.Ronaldo is still one of the fastest player in the world, it’s a fact.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Pace - CR7
Skill - CR7
Strength - CR7
Technique - CR7
Tricks - CR7
Athleticism - CR7
Dribbling - L. Ronaldo
Finishing - CR7
Long Shots - CR7
Header - CR7
Determination - CR7
Leadership - CR7
Decision making - CR7
Movement - CR7
Fitness - CR7
Free kicks - CR7
Crossing - CR7
Passing - CR7

:lol::lol::lol:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Fat Ronaldo is better than the real Ronaldo in only 2 things pace and trickery. R9 is one of my favorite all time players but this debate is not close.

R9 was a striker his whole career where as CR7 was always playing out wide and R9 was never even close to CR7 scoring exploits. We are talking about 10 years of 50+ goals a season and a player who completely smashed the Madrid goal scoring record along with countless others. CR7 finishing ability is another level.

With all due respect to R9 he is a tier under but that is not disrespect because CR7 and Messi are in a tier only a handful of players are on.

Matt007a

Pace - CR7
Skill - CR7
Strength - CR7
Technique - CR7
Tricks - CR7
Athleticism - CR7
Dribbling - L. Ronaldo
Finishing - CR7
Long Shots - CR7
Header - CR7
Determination - CR7
Leadership - CR7
Decision making - CR7
Movement - CR7
Fitness - CR7
Free kicks - CR7
Crossing - CR7
Passing - CR7

Ronaldo was comparable to Ronaldinho when it came to tricks and dribbling. CR7 was a very good dribbler in his earlier years, but never R9 level.

I think the famous hat trick against Valencia is the best example of R9 having more power and more pace as well. The goals he scored in that game are not goals that Cristiano could score. In fact I'm not sure anyone playing today has that combo of speed, power and balance. Mbappe is the closest thing to that style of play maybe.

Obviously CR7 has surpassed him over the course of his career with his consistency and longevity, but he'll never have that magic quality than R9 had. It's a quality that few players have and even fewer are able to mix it into their game at a world class level. He had it, Ronaldinho had it, Maradona had it. I think that works against CR7 in people's minds.

Stiliyan

Supports
Real Madrid

Pace - CR7
Skill - CR7
Strength - CR7
Technique - CR7
Tricks - CR7
Athleticism - CR7
Dribbling - L. Ronaldo
Finishing - CR7
Long Shots - CR7
Header - CR7
Determination - CR7
Leadership - CR7
Decision making - CR7
Movement - CR7
Fitness - CR7
Free kicks - CR7
Crossing - CR7
Passing - CR7

Just :lol: if you think Cristiano has better technique, skill or tricks than the Brazilian Ronaldo. Strength is even more ridiculous. Pace wise I think Cristiano has better sprint speed, but R9 was fecking crazy fast with the ball on his feet.
Cristiano had the far better career but prime Ronaldo 9 was the better footballer.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I think the term technique is interpreted in a lot of different ways by people. For instance, I think it's absolutely ludicrous to say C.Ronaldo has better technique than F.Ronaldo. But Cristiano did lots of step overs in the beginning of his career! That's not considered technique is it?

Same goes for dribbling. Doing 17 stepovers in a row does not constitute good dribbling. A player like Robben or Hazard who use turns and feignts are good dribblers.

Anyway, back to the topic. Ronaldo is easily better than Ronaldo.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You got this backwards. Cris the better player in the box. In open space, Ronaldo was the best ever

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Did I just read that Cristiano has better technique and tricks than Fat Ronnie? Fat Ronnie’s tricks and technique are pretty much comparable to Ronaldinho’s, so I guess to these people Cristiano’s tricks and technique > ronaldinho’s too
I'm convinced CR7 has better technique than fatRonaldo. But less flair, creativity and perhaps less balance and other details.

How's that, you ask? Shooting, first touch, passing, free kicks, crossing are all part of technique. In most if not all CR7 is/was one of the best ever. Obviously he doesn't have the vision and football brain of a Pirlo, Maradona or even Messi but if you pay attention to his game his passing is usually very precise and with the right weight.

Most technique depends on what kind of football education you had as a kid but then you work it out throughout the years. Some body types and People with better reflexes will have an advantage too but Ronaldo has had pristine technique, especially after his earlier raw period.

Dribbling wise, also part of technique, fat Ronaldo was for me one of the best ever and better than CR although he was no slouch either. But in overall technique you can't say one was better than the other since technique includes many things.

Last edited:

Untd55

I'm convinced CR7 has better technique than fatRonaldo. But less flair, creativity and perhaps less balance and other details.

How's that, you ask? Shooting, first touch, passing, free kicks, crossing are all part of technique. In most if not all CR7 is/was one of the best ever. Obviously he doesn't have the vision and football brain of a Pirlo, Maradona or even Messi but if you pay attention to his game his passing is usually very precise and with the right weight.

Most technique depends on what kind of football education you had as a kid but then you work it out throughout the years. Some body types and People with better reflexes will have an advantage too but Ronaldo has had pristine technique, especially after his earlier raw period.

Dribbling wise, also part of technique, fat Ronaldo was for me one of the best ever and better than CR although he was no slouch either. But in overall technique you can't say one was better than the other since technique includes many things.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but this is a big no. He can score freekicks but is nowhere near one of the best ever. I think he went 100 freekicks shots without scoring a goal at one point.

He is nowhere near the top for freekicks. The top is reserved for players like Juninho.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don't get the CR is good at freekicks things either. He's very slightly above average at them and it's still silly he got to take most of em, with some of his teammates at Real.

Regarding technique, isn't technique sort of a substitute word for ball control? If you include things like shooting and heading under technique, you might as well count sprint speed, jumping power and all other things bar the mental aspect under technique.

bpet15

Some of the comments in here have me in stitches.

R9 is the most talented footballer I have ever laid eyes on.

Obviously CR7 has had a much greater career.

Schneckerl

Pace - CR7
Skill - CR7
Technique - CR7
Tricks - CR7
Ronaldo (alongside Ronaldinho) might be the best ever at using tricks effectively as part of his game.
Best dribbler and technique while maintaining a high speed with the ball too.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina

I understand your point about the different type of techniques, but outside of freekicks (which honestly Cristiano was only at a world class level in his final season at United and first 2 in Real) and crossing, i am not convinced that Cristiano was undoubted better than fat ronnie at shooting and passing, and no way in hell was fat ronnie not better than Cristiano at first touch.
In addition, the post which indicated that cr7 for some reason was better in technique and tricks(lol), that post also included shooting (long shots/finishing), crossing and free kicks so it is obvious that the poster’s technique category isnt referring to those attributes

Gonçalo Motta

This debate is almost as pointless as the Ronaldo vs Messi one.

I find odd that people mention a specific set of attributes to rate a player higher than the other.

For what is worth, if I had to pick a player for my team, I would pick CR7 any day of the week. Big game player, can score with the right foot, left foot, from the distance, in the box, the greatest header I have seen, barely misses penalties, losing or with injuries he fights till the end no matter the odds and he is a monster inside the box (exactly the kind of mindset MU once had).
At some point in his career, he was also regarded as one of the best free-kick shooters and a technically gifted player. Obviously, he sacrificed some aspects of his game due to age or to adapt to other roles but he and Messi are by far the most complete players I have ever seen in a football pitch.

In some aspects of the game, I rate R9 higher, but overall it's a perfect KO in favour of CR7 for me.