Ronaldo vs Ronaldo

Enigma_87

You know who
Not impossible when you’re born in Brazil though... should have played with Ronaldinho and Rivaldo instead of Danny and Hugo Almeida.
Not sure I get your point there.
Nothing alike mate. A FK, penalty and long range shot. Impressive of course and great game for him, but not taking 3-4 players and running half of the pitch on two separate occasions to put it past the keeper.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He wasn't really. 7 shots per game is a lot mate, by a single player on average. Messi averaged 5 in his career, playing in a team that gets 80% of the possession against inferior teams.

See, most die hard Cristiano fans always use the stats and goals to make their case. Those who see Fenomeno better have watched him live at his peak, his impact, how he frightened the best defenders in the game.

Stats don't tell you the whole thing and even if we go by accomplishments and stats, Gerd Muller should easily be considered better than Cristiano. He has matched him at club level but trumps all Cristiano has done on international stage, with the goal tally to boot..
I’m the first to argue stats have nothing to do with it so you’re preaching to the wrong person.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

Nothing alike mate. A FK, penalty and long range shot. Impressive of course and great game for him, but not taking 3-4 players and running half of the pitch on two separate occasions to put it past the keeper.
Stupid Cristiano shooting from distance instead of dribbling past players. Who cares if the outcome is the same if it doesn’t look impressive enough in Enigma_87’s eyes? ;)

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Crazy performance there

That was Brazil playing - now that's nostalgia.. not that south American country who used to have great players and for some reason they don't have anymore, Brazil was the country I always want to win because Portugal was never there and from the Ronaldos then Ronaldinho was the best by far - not career.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Some people talk about Cristiano Ronaldo as if he’s Bakayoko ffs
Not me.
People that say R9 had more footballing ability mean that he was better on the ball, but there is a lot more to footballing ability than that. Every other weekend there are 30 million people at the Porto stadium with more ‘footballing ability’ than Moussa Marega and it’s still his name that they’re singing.
Is this to be taken seriously?
Some people are discussing which one was better at football, others are discussing which one was better at capturing their imagination.
In this particular case can you show me why someone saying Nazário with 20 years old was the best player by a mile with the same age related to imagination?

Don't think anyone will dispute here Cristiano with 34 is much better than the other who barely moved on the pitch with the same age. Everyone has a opinion, reason why this is a topic I guess.

MrEleson

Maybe a bad example but you were saying Cristiano could never score any of the 3 goals. The first was a great exhibition of R9's instant acceleration and dribbling technique with a class finish but I've seen C.Ronaldo score technically similar goals:

The 2nd was a great left footed finish that I've seen him score many times and from even tighter angles (like against Sweden X2 & Barca).

The 3rd is perhaps the only goal that may have been more unique but I've seen C.Ronaldo take the ball and go on mazy runs and score like that in his maiden Real Madrid years. Plus, I felt the defenders could have done better although it was a great goal. They didn't even try slide to take the ball.

Enigma_87

You know who
I’m the first to argue stats have nothing to do with it so you’re preaching to the wrong person.
Most of the quotes are goal tallies here, which is why I mentioned it. It was general assessment which I said most, and what I've seen so far in the thread...

Stupid Cristiano shooting from distance instead of dribbling past players. Who cares if the outcome is the same if it doesn’t look impressive enough in Enigma_87’s eyes? ;)
Not sure I get your point here. I quoted a poster who asked where are the spectacular goals Fenomeno scored, and those three against Valencia are pretty spectacular. People make it sound that Cristiano could do everything Fenomeno could and more, which I disagree with. Haven't seen such goals from Cristiano like the ones posted above - the same velocity, speed, strength and dribbling ability.

Enigma_87

You know who
@MrEleson those are better examples, but again, the thing about Fenomeno was his sheer strength, speed and explosiveness. It was unmatched, unparalleled.

There's something else as well. Cristiano is really protected in this era by referees and the physicality of Seria A in the 90's was a lot tougher than it is today.

Look at this:

Most of those "tackles" would result in sending offs. Fenomeno was abused by defenders and usually he rode most of it with his eye to the goal.

Nowadays even the slightest contact will result in a foul and a card making defenders a lot more cautious than before.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Some people talk about Cristiano Ronaldo as if he’s Bakayoko ffs, he got to where he has due to being elite technically, he’s world class on the ball... he surpassed more talented players on the ball due to being better at plenty of other things, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t great at it himself ffs.

People that say R9 had more footballing ability mean that he was better on the ball, but there is a lot more to footballing ability than that. Every other weekend there are 30 million people at the Porto stadium with more ‘footballing ability’ than Moussa Marega and it’s still his name that they’re singing.

Some people are discussing which one was better at football, others are discussing which one was better at capturing their imagination.
Which Bakayoko? LOL

Canagel

R9 pre injury was freak of nature. Like watching cr7 and Messi combined into one. By 23 he had already amassed 200 goals and had revolutionised the striker position. On pure skill there's no comparisons with CR7.

As far as career achievements is concerned CR7 obviously stands ahead.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
This thread is boring, everyone knows the answer and basically the Messi brigade trying desperately to make Cristiano look bad.

Eric's Seagull

Which Bakayoko? LOL
I think he means Ibrahima Bakayoko who was a striker who was a dream signing on Championship Manager 1998. He moved to Everton for £4.5m for the 1998/1999. Sadly he wasn't as good in life as on the game as he scored 4 goals in 23 games. Although there are 9 other Bakayoko's according to whoscored.com

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
This thread is full of people arguing Cristiano had a big advantage by playing in this era with great players in his team... then they ignore one was Brazilian and the other Portuguese when they talk about international football

Cristiano has thrived for years in a team with plenty of mediocrity, in completely different systems and with plenty of different players.

Most of the quotes are goal tallies here, which is why I mentioned it. It was general assessment which I said most, and what I've seen so far in the thread...

Not sure I get your point here. I quoted a poster who asked where are the spectacular goals Fenomeno scored, and those three against Valencia are pretty spectacular. People make it sound that Cristiano could do everything Fenomeno could and more, which I disagree with. Haven't seen such goals from Cristiano like the ones posted above - the same velocity, speed, strength and dribbling ability.
I mean, there are plenty of different examples, Cristiano has scored plenty of goals after dribbling past players from both in front or behind the halfway line.

He tends to shoot from long range though rather than going for the dribble first, with the power he has he’d be stupid not to.

Now show me R9 doing this:

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's not even a question. You'll obviously prefer the player who can give you more years at top of his game than 2-3 freakish ones. Their respective peaks are arguable but even if CR7 wasn't as good as R9 at his peak, would you take 15 years of top level performances from CR7 or you'll be happy to trade that for 2-3 years of R9?

Any manager worth his salt would opt for the former.
The Brazilian Ronaldo didn't exactly just have two or three freakish seasons - he was widely regarded as one of the best footballers in the world for nigh-on a decade. Indeed even when he'd gotten past his best and was shocking overweight for a top-level player he was still clinical.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
@MrEleson those are better examples, but again, the thing about Fenomeno was his sheer strength, speed and explosiveness. It was unmatched, unparalleled.

There's something else as well. Cristiano is really protected in this era by referees and the physicality of Seria A in the 90's was a lot tougher than it is today.

Look at this:

Most of those "tackles" would result in sending offs. Fenomeno was abused by defenders and usually he rode most of it with his eye to the goal.

Nowadays even the slightest contact will result in a foul and a card making defenders a lot more cautious than before.
Cristiano got the shit kicked out of him every single game for years in England, it was never a problem.

They aren’t really that far apart in age. Football really didn’t change that much in the 5 or 6 years between R9 and Cristiano being the best players in the world.

Enigma_87

You know who
This thread is full of people arguing Cristiano had a big advantage by playing in this era with great players in his team... then they ignore one was Brazilian and the other Portuguese when they talk about international football

Cristiano has thrived for years in a team with plenty of mediocrity, in completely different systems and with plenty of different players. It’s not like he
Mediocrity? :confused: He played for probably United's best team ever and Real's second best team ever. Currently he plays in the team that won Seria A 7 years on the trot.

I appreciate your point and the videos, but again I'm not sure we're on the same page. Just look of the sheer physicality of the game in those goals, then the raw pace/dribbling ability Fenomeno had. The acceleration and spring. He was like Bolt with skills when the ball came to him.

It's not a slight on Cristiano, far from it, he's certainly top 10 of all time for me and of course GOAT's are down to preference, but on sheer ability and talent I really can't look past Fenomeno.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Mediocrity? :confused: He played for probably United's best team ever and Real's second best team ever. Currently he plays in the team that won Seria A 7 years on the trot.

I appreciate your point and the videos, but again I'm not sure we're on the same page. Just look of the sheer physicality of the game in those goals, then the raw pace/dribbling ability Fenomeno had. The acceleration and spring. He was like Bolt with skills when the ball came to him.

It's not a slight on Cristiano, far from it, he's certainly top 10 of all time for me and of course GOAT's are down to preference, but on sheer ability and talent I really can't look past Fenomeno.
I presume he's referring to the international team but even there Cristiano's regularly been surrounded by teams that have been quite strong, even if not among the very best, and has had the advantage of said sides basically being centred around him.

Enigma_87

You know who
Cristiano got the shit kicked out of him every single game for years in England, it was never a problem.

They aren’t really that far apart in age. Football really didn’t change that much in the 5 or 6 years between R9 and Cristiano being the best players in the world.
Cristiano peak came (at least) 10 years after Fenomeno's.

No he didn't get the same service even at United. He was kicked and targeted yes, but not at the same extend, far from it.

Fenomeno got constantly rattled, tackled, arm on his shoulder, pushed, shoveled. It was the way to handle him, because if you let him turn you you couldn't get near him.

^^

you can easily compare with the ones you posted the amount of physical contact between the dribbles, videos. At the time it was unthinkable of a player to dribble through half of the team with ease. Now we're spoilt.

Eddy_JukeZ

CR7 has had the better career.

I used to think he had the better peak, but I'd probably lean towards Ronaldo Nazario in that regard now.

Very close though peak wise. Probably in that 2nd tier below the GOAT candidates for me.

MrEleson

Look at this:

I'm not doubting that Serie A was tougher at the time but CR has had his own fair share of rough treatment, particularly when playing in the EPL.

I remember the famous stamps by Michael ball and the reckless hack by Morrison when C.Ronaldo was just too good for them.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I presume he's referring to the international team but even there Cristiano's regularly been surrounded by teams that have been quite strong, even if not among the very best, and has had the advantage of said sides basically being centred around him.
What??? Who else would it be centered on? Nani?

Only here would playing next to Nani and Hélder Postiga be seen as an advantage over playing next to Rivaldo and Ronaldinho because ‘the team is centered around him’.

We haven’t had a team ‘among the strongest’ next to Ronaldo since 2004... if internationally Cristiano had the help R9 got at Inter, Barcelona and Madrid we’d have won more than just the one trophy.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What??? Who else would it be centered on? Nani?

Only here would playing next to Nani and Hélder Postiga be seen as an advantage over playing next to Rivaldo and Ronaldinho because ‘the team is centered around him’.

We haven’t had a team ‘among the strongest’ next to Ronaldo since 2004... if internationally Cristiano had the help R9 got at Inter, Barcelona and Madrid we’d have won more than just the one trophy.
You've had plenty of good players in your side even if you've not been among the very best. Players like Deco, Nani, Pepe and others were quite clearly very good in their prime, even if they pale in comparison to the Brazil squads Ronaldo featured in. Generally you've always been more than good enough to qualify for international tournaments though. He's hardly been saddled with shite.

Kemizee

Better career? CR7, better peak R9 by a country mile. R9 was also much more feared and much more popular. Everyone just loved him.
This is what I was looking for. Someone who understands what Ronaldo Lima was about. The guy is the best pure striker in the game's history in my opinion. The sheer bravery to not only score from distance but to round the keeper numerous times in high pressure situations (more than any other striker spoke volumes of his ability and talent level) Look at the video of Zlatan admiring him and that would give you an idea of the sort of respect he commanded. He was just not only phenomenal, he was truly an icon of immense proportions and it does not matter how many goals C. RONALDO has over him, I have watched both and I truly know who I would love to defend against. Ronaldo 9 is the better Ronaldo.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
If you had to pick one it would depend on the team around them.

Ronaldo de Lima was faster, stronger, better at holding up the ball, better ball carrier, better technique, better association with team mates, better passer in terms of final ball delivery and generally made better decisions.

Cristiano Ronaldo is more versatile as he could play on all 3 forward positions although he is not a centre forward. He is also more durable which makes him more dependable over a 60+ games season. He is vastly superior in the air and he would simply give your club more over the course of his contract.

I think the team Ronaldo de Lima would play for would play better football but his injury record was atrocious.

If I had a team that had multiple 'stars' I would pick Ronaldo De Lima.

If I had a team with no superstars, I would pick Cristiano Ronaldo.

The way I like my football being played I would pick Ronaldo de Lima but if all I cared about is winning, I would go with Cristiano Ronaldo.

With multiple superstars, Ronaldo de Lima would link up much better with them and if he gets injured the team would still be okay.

With Cristiano Ronaldo being the only superstar, he can canabalise chances and take 8 to 9 shots a game like he used to do and the team will be in complete service to him which.

If I had to choose one

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You've had plenty of good players in your side even if you've not been among the very best. Players like Deco, Nani, Pepe and others were quite clearly very good in their prime, even if they pale in comparison to the Brazil squads Ronaldo featured in. Generally you've always been more than good enough to qualify for international tournaments though. He's hardly been saddled with shite.
Its fair to say the peak Figo, Rui Costa and Couto teams were better untill 2004, but its true playing with Deco, Ricardo Carvalho, Nani or Moutinho after is nothing to complain.

Strange line of argumentation to make someone look better on the picture to make the others around look like pub players I guess. Not saying its you who use this of course.

FattyFooty

Whats up with this peak thing?

I mean is Arshavin better than both due to hes games vs Holland and Liverpool?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Whats up with this peak thing?

I mean is Arshavin better than both due to hes games vs Holland and Liverpool?
What? There's a difference between a fairly talented player who showed flashes of brilliance having occasional good performances and someone who had an extended period where he was widely regarded as one of the best players in the world, during which time he was also a pivotal player for his country in a World Cup win.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If you had to pick one it would depend on the team around them.

Ronaldo de Lima was faster, stronger, better at holding up the ball, better ball carrier, better technique, better association with team mates, better passer in terms of final ball delivery and generally made better decisions.

Cristiano Ronaldo is more versatile as he could play on all 3 forward positions although he is not a centre forward. He is also more durable which makes him more dependable over a 60+ games season. He is vastly superior in the air and he would simply give your club more over the course of his contract.

I think the team Ronaldo de Lima would play for would play better football but his injury record was atrocious.

If I had a team that had multiple 'stars' I would pick Ronaldo De Lima.

If I had a team with no superstars, I would pick Cristiano Ronaldo.

The way I like my football being played I would pick Ronaldo de Lima but if all I cared about is winning, I would go with Cristiano Ronaldo.

With multiple superstars, Ronaldo de Lima would link up much better with them and if he gets injured the team would still be okay.

With Cristiano Ronaldo being the only superstar, he can canabalise chances and take 8 to 9 shots a game like he used to do and the team will be in complete service to him which.

If I had to choose one
That's a valid point.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Deco was done after 2006, Nani was wildly inconsistent as I’m sure most people here remember and Pepe only really became elite quite late in his careers. And those players often got injured and Ronaldo had next to help. That’s not the point though, it’s true we’ve had a few good players in there, it’s the absolute shite we’ve had to play in some positions that brought the team down... Some names: Danny, Ruben micael, Ruben Amorim, Neto, João Pereira, Eliseu, Eduardo, Miguel Veloso, Hugo Almeida, finished Liedson, Hélder Postiga, Nelson Oliveira, Custódio, Rolando, Duda, Pedro Mendes, Ricardo Costa...

The only reason we’ve made every tournament since Ronaldo has been around is his consistency throughout the years. Since the 2006 WC it’s been a mixture between decent and completely shit squads. Go take a look at our 2010, 2012 and 2014 squads. England, Italy, Holland, Belgium, etc. pretty much every European team has missed a tournament and we haven’t.

During his prime years he had Moutinho, Pepe, Coentrão, Nani and then complete mediocrity.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Deco was done by 2006, Nani was wildly inconsistent as I’m sure most people here remember and Pepe only really became elite quite late in his careers. And those players often got injured and Ronaldo had next to help. That’s not the point though, it’s true we’ve had a few good players in there, it’s the absolute shite we’ve had to play in some positions that brought the team down... Some names: Danny, Ruben micael, Ruben Amorim, Neto, João Pereira, Eliseu, Eduardo, Miguel Veloso, Hugo Almeida, finished Liedson, Hélder Postiga, Nelson Oliveira, Custódio....

The only reason we’ve made every tournament since Ronaldo has been around is his consistency throughout the years. Since the 2006 WC it’s been a mixture between decent and completely shit squads. Go take a look at our 2012 and 2014 squads. England, Italy, Holland, Belgium, etc. pretty much every European team has missed a tournament and we haven’t.
2012 Nani, Coentrão, Moutinho, Pepe or even Bruno Alves were great during the tournament.

MADReaLJL

I guess R9 wasn't that consistent then, since he could no more but hadn't reach the expectation. Peaked too early, ruined by injuries.

A look on his CL records tells it's not impressive at all. 14 goals scored in 40 games. About 1 goal in 3 games. Looking at his ability, what he's been doing in the other 2 games?

FattyFooty

What? There's a difference between a fairly talented player who showed flashes of brilliance having occasional good performances and someone who had an extended period where he was widely regarded as one of the best players in the world, during which time he was also a pivotal player for his country in a World Cup win.
You kinda missed my point.

I do understand Ronaldo is better than Andrei Arshavin.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
2012 Nani, Coentrão, Moutinho, Pepe or even Bruno Alves were great during the tournament.
Nani was really bad in Euro 2012 actually, probably his worst international tournament. Varela was better than him :lol: Bruno Alves was fantastic, probably our second best player after Ronaldo.

We had a decent core of 4 players and then mediocrity everywhere else though. I mean, just look at this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_squads#Portugal

The only thing stopping that squad being champions of Europe was missing a bit of luck.

Last edited: