Ronaldo Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Why is it guaranteed he'll be the best for the next x years? He has to actually work and perform, you know? Its not automatic.
I honestly don't see anyone being better than him for a few more years, considering he's already in a separate level to others with only Ronaldo being near him in overall play, talent, and worth ethic, plus I do not see any future players getting to that level at the moment (could change in a couple years). Unless he has a terrible injury or dramatic drop in play, there's not much to knock him off the current pedestal.

EB100

I honestly don't see anyone being better than him for a few more years, considering he's already in a separate level to others with only Ronaldo being near him in overall play and talent, and don't see any future players getting to that level at the moment. Unless he has a terrible injury or dramatic drop in play, there's not much to knock him off the current pedestal.
If that happens that he's the best every year for some time, then let him win it every year then, as cheesy said. That's the purpose of the award. You sound like a communist. :lol: Just kidding.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
On the Messi vs Sneijder one, I think that example is a perfect one of why players shouldn't be judged first and foremost of what they've won that year. Sure, Sneijder won the Champions League that year and got to the final of the World Cup with Holland that year as well being heavily influential, but there were little things here and there that could've easily changed things, which neither player had an influence on.

Was it Sneijder's football ability who caused the Brazilian implosion in the quarter finals which resulted in the Dutch going through, considering they may not have gotten through otherwise? No. Was it Messi or Sneijder who dictated the World Cup group stages draws each team would get, meaning that one would meet Germany while the other met Brazil in the quarter finals? No. Was it Messi who convinced Maradona to commit tactical suicide in the quarter finals, which was largely responsible for Argentina going out? No. Was it Sneijder's influence that caused a legitimate goal in the semi final last minute between Inter and Barca to be chopped off which ended up sending Inter through instead of Barcelona? No.

Of course, those are just a few examples and you could probably come back with some to further set back Messi, but that's not my point. The point is that the fine lines between success and no success are incredibly fine. That's why judging players on how they have played is a much better way of doing it than their success. Success can be used as an extra factor in the mix, but it by no means should be the deciding one.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I honestly don't see anyone being better than him for a few more years, considering he's already in a separate level to others with only Ronaldo being near him in overall play, talent, and worth ethic, plus I do not see any future players getting to that level at the moment (could change in a couple years). Unless he has a terrible injury or dramatic drop in play, there's not much to knock him off the current pedestal.
Well then, if he is able to sustain his current level and play as well as he has been doing, then he deserves it. It's not easy for a player to go out and score 50+ goals a season consistently, in case you didn't know.

MrMarcello

On the Messi vs Sneijder one, I think that example is a perfect one of why players shouldn't be judged first and foremost of what they've won that year. Sure, Sneijder won the Champions League that year and got to the final of the World Cup with Holland that year as well being heavily influential, but there were little things here and there that could've easily changed things, which neither player had an influence on.

Was it Sneijder's football ability who caused the Brazilian implosion in the quarter finals which resulted in the Dutch going through, considering they may not have gotten through otherwise? No. Was it Messi or Sneijder who dictated the World Cup group stages draws each team would get, meaning that one would meet Germany while the other met Brazil in the quarter finals? No. Was it Messi who convinced Maradona to commit tactical suicide in the quarter finals, which was largely responsible for Argentina going out? No. Was it Sneijder's influence that caused a legitimate goal in the semi final last minute between Inter and Barca to be chopped off which ended up sending Inter through instead of Barcelona? No.

Of course, those are just a few examples and you could probably come back with some to further set back Messi, but that's not my point. The point is that the fine lines between success and no success are incredibly fine. That's why judging players on how they have played is a much better way of doing it than their success. Success can be used as an extra factor in the mix, but it by no means should be the deciding one.
Rather weak argument to bring up world cup draws, opposition not performing, refereeing decisions, et al in an attempt to diminish a player's performances.

If you want to bring up goals, shouldn't we discount Barca's against Chelsea in 2009, thus eliminating Barca from the final, and all the trophies the club (and Messi) won that year, and most likely elevating another player to the award in 2009?

Or would many of us being United fans be bitching and moaning about Messi winning the awards in 2009 (ala Kaka in 2007) despite United possibly having beaten Chelsea in the final a second year running with Ronaldo having a great calender year?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Did you read my post fully? I said that there probably are plenty of examples that would set back Messi too, I admitted that. I said myself that it wasn't a post justifying in itself why Messi won in 2010, but why a player shouldn't win just based on honours that year, as it's a flawed concept. That was the whole idea of my post. It wasn't a justification for Messi winning it in 2010, and you'd have seen that if you read it fully.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Rather weak argument to bring up world cup draws, opposition not performing, refereeing decisions, et al in an attempt to diminish a player's performances.

If you want to bring up goals, shouldn't we discount Barca's against Chelsea in 2009, thus eliminating Barca from the final, and all the trophies the club (and Messi) won that year, and most likely elevating another player to the award in 2009?

Or would many of us being United fans be bitching and moaning about Messi winning the awards in 2009 (ala Kaka in 2007) despite United possibly having beaten Chelsea in the final a second year running with Ronaldo having a great calender year?
you mix team performance with player performance

best team wins tournaments, best player wins BPITW

no brainer

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
It's not called the BPITW. And the BPITW hasn't always won the awards in a calendar year. Or do you honestly believe Cannovaro was the BPITW in 2006?
no, i dont think Cannavaro was the BPITW in 2006

that doesnt change the fact that the award should be given to the BPITW instead of to the best player in the team that won something meaningfull that year

i still think that messi was the best player in 2010 despite not wining the WC or the CL, as i think that ronaldo was the best in 2009 even if he hadnt win the CL

EB100

It's not called the BPITW. And the BPITW hasn't always won the awards in a calendar year. Or do you honestly believe Cannovaro was the BPITW in 2006?
How the vote went in any particular year is irrelevant to what the award is for. It is for the best player in the world over a given year, and that's a fact. You can't change its meaning just because you feel a certain play in a certain year was voted for other reasons.

MrMarcello

Well of course you do, no bias there, marco.

Edit: Just saw you threw in Ronaldo 2009, granted I felt the difference was Barca won the final and then a few more trophies than United.

MrMarcello

How the vote went in any particular year is irrelevant to what the award is for. It is for the best player in the world over a given year, and that's a fact. You can't change its meaning just because you feel a certain play in a certain year was voted for other reasons.
It must not be for the BPITW then, or the players/managers would vote in such manner, right? Not alleviate from the voting in some years because a player won the World Cup.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Well of course you do, no bias there, marco.
yes, bias, as every player that voted for messi in 2010

we can agree or disagree about who was the best player, but there's no argument on what should be taken on account when decided who should be the winner

and it should have nothing to do in winning this or that trophy

MrMarcello

yes, bias, as every player that voted for messi in 2010

we can agree or disagree about who was the best player, but there's no argument on what should be taken on account when decided who should be the winner

and it should have nothing to do in winning this or that trophy
Was referring to you mentioning your fellow Argie in 2010, of course you would feel such way. Though I somehow doubt you felt such for Ronaldo in 2009 despite saying such. ;)

When the BPITW comes up less in the club/country front, why shouldn't a player who had a tremendous year not have his club/country trophy haul considered and possibly the deciding factor?

Why wouldn't Ronaldo winning La Liga with a slightly less statistical season than Messi, and possibly Euro to top it off, not equate to winning the awards?

So basically, it should be about the player's statistics and not his contributions to his club/country winning trophies (the ultimate goal for a player), thus not a team sport but an individual sport?

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Ronaldo can still win it you know. There seems to be a bit of a campaign to get him the trophy too, maybe people will be sick of seeing Messi win it?

It shouldnt go on team achievements though, just watch with your own eyes and decide who was the best. Over the past 4 years its been Messi, simple as that for me.

in saying that this is the tightest its been since he first won it, CR7 has a decent shot.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Was referring to you mentioning your fellow Argie in 2010, of course you would feel such way. Though I somehow doubt you felt such for Ronaldo in 2009 despite saying such. ;)

When the BPITW comes up less in the club/country front, why shouldn't a player who had a tremendous year not have his club/country trophy haul considered and possibly the deciding factor?

Why wouldn't Ronaldo winning La Liga with a slightly less statistical season than Messi, and possibly Euro to top it off, not equate to winning the awards?

So basically, it should be about the player's statistics and not his contributions to his club/country winning trophies (the ultimate goal for a player), thus not a team sport but an individual sport?
i think that ronaldo 2009 is comparable to any of the best messi's seasons

but i also think that he hasn't produce in such a wonderfull way since then

sometimes, i might sound harsh on ronaldo, but i love the guy, and i only do it to annoy cal :)

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
i think that ronaldo 2009 is comparable to any of the best messi's seasons

but i also think that he hasn't produce in such a wonderfull way since then
I'll have to be honest. Bar Arsenal away in the CL semi I didnt think that was a brilliant season by Ronaldos recent standards.

Hes done unbelievably well for Madrid, its cliche now, but take Messi away and he'd be winning it by a land slide

MrMarcello

I'll have to be honest. Bar Arsenal away in the CL semi I didnt think that was a brilliant season by Ronaldos recent standards.

Hes done unbelievably well for Madrid, its cliche now, but take Messi away and he'd be winning it by a land slide
But yet it probably would have been Ronaldo winning the awards in 2009 had United triumphed in the final, whether being the BPITW or not.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?

oops, i just realize i wrote 2009 when in fact it was 2007/2008

anyway, he scored 42 goals that season, he was the best player in the best team and he performed briliantly in the hardest league of all and in the most important club international competition

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
oops, i just realize i wrote 2009 when in fact it was 2007/2008

anyway, he scored 42 goals that season, he was the best player in the best team and he performed briliantly in the hardest league of all and in the most important club international competition
Thought maybe you meant 2008!

No arguments there. He was utterly fantastic.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Rio Ferdinand being interviewed before England got knocked out.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/euro2012/article4389677.ece

Looking at the tournament as a whole, Ferdinand was delighted to see his old pal Cristiano Ronaldo heading Portugal into the semis as they beat the Czech Republic 1-0 on Thursday.

Ronaldo got some stick during the group games but was back to his lethal best to dump the Czechs. Ferdinand admitted: “I was so pleased for Ronny. He deserves his success and I thought he had a fabulous game.

“This could really be his stage. He looks right on top of his game.

“I reckon it could be the year when he gets voted the world’s best player and Lionel Messi has to accept second.

“Ronny has already won the Spanish League with Real Madrid and, if he added the Euros too, that would surely clinch it for him.

“Obviously, I want England to come back with the trophy.

“But if they don’t, I’d be very happy to see Ronny lifting that cup.”

Ish

Lights on for Luke
So what's the summary (consensus) of his European exploits?

Personally, I thought he was a bit hit and miss. 2 OK/average performances against Germany/Denmark. 2 great performances against the Dutch and the Czech's.

A bit of a let down last night (though credit to Spain). A pity he's missed the chance to push Messi a bit more in the Ballon D'or stakes, which I now feel is probably all but wrapped up.

At the end of the day, you're only as good as your team allows you to be I guess - hence Messi and Ronaldo's total domination at club level and their (relative) struggles at international level.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
You summed it up.

2 poor performances, 2 great performances. 1 underwhelming performance.

I think getting to play against a crumbling Dutch side was a god send because his confidence looked gone after the Denmark game. You could see against the Czechs it was the exact opposite, full confidence and pushing his side.

Treble

He tormented Spanish defence last night. Was very good. The only thing missing was a goal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought he was excellent last night apart from Freekicks and that one chance at the end which was messed up a little by the guy who passed the ball to him.

Overall I think he did very well. Scored goals and performed well in the last 3 games. I think you can't fault Portugal as a whole. They did really well. If they had a striker they'd be lethal and Ronaldo and Nani would have more to show for their exploits during the tournament.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I thought he was excellent last night apart from Freekicks and that one chance at the end which was messed up a little by the guy who passed the ball to him.

Overall I think he did very well. Scored goals and performed well in the last 3 games. I think you can't fault Portugal as a whole. They did really well. If they had a striker they'd be lethal and Ronaldo and Nani would have more to show for their exploits during the tournament.
In what way?

He gave him the ball, he had a clear effort on goal. I thought he was going to bury the effort

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The ball was behind him so he lost a fraction of second by controlling it from behind, that fraction of second was key for him to get a better shooting position and maybe hit the target.
The timing of passes creates or destroys goalscoring opportunities

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In what way?

He gave him the ball, he had a clear effort on goal. I thought he was going to bury the effort
Personally thought he could have played it a bit more forward for him to run onto.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I thought Ronaldo made the wrong choice there. He went for a bit of glory but they had a guy free on the other side. Literally.

Oh well, he tried to take responsibility and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
looking at it again you're right, he didnt put enough weight on the pass. Still thought he'd bury it.

Treble

Surprisingly or not, Ramos' free kick was far better than Ronaldo's.

amolbhatia50k

looking at it again you're right, he didnt put enough weight on the pass. Still thought he'd bury it.
Yep. Not saying Ronaldo did well with it rather that the chance should have been less complicated and hurried as it got. But these things happen in football. Iniesta missed an absolute sitter.

amolbhatia50k

Was hugely impressed by his performance yesterday. It's usually very difficult for attackers to shine against Spain/Barca's pressing game as Nani found out yesterday.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
If you had to rate his performance, overall in the tournament Amol?

I'd probably give him around the 7/10 mark (maybe a 7.5), considering his awful start.

He was clearly high on confidence after the Dutch match though and like you mentioned, if Portugal could produce even 1 decent'ish CF, a ton of the pressure will be taken off his (and Nani's) shoulders.

Homeomorphic

Was hugely impressed by his performance yesterday. It's usually very difficult for attackers to shine against Spain/Barca's pressing game as Nani found out yesterday.
Portugal's pressing was better in the first 90 minutes. 2 days less rest for Spain showed its effects. Most of the game was being played in Spain's half. Let's start talking about things that actually happened and not things that on paper should happen, eh?

amolbhatia50k

Portugal's pressing was better in the first 90 minutes. 2 days less rest for Spain showed its effects. Most of the game was being played in Spain's half. Let's start talking about things that actually happened and not things that on paper should happen, eh?
Whose talking about Spain? I'm talking about Ronaldo's performance. Let's start talking about things that are actually relevant to the thread, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.