Ronaldo will take Rooney’s record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
He's often so slow and predictable in the box these days, he does those classic Ronaldo moves and its so obvious and easily dealt with more often than not. Bit sad.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think it's more a case of reaching 20 goals this season now. 5 in 13 games to do it.

Luke1995

When exactly did this Ronaldo decline begin ?

I watched most Juventus matches in the 2019-2020 season and he looked very good. How a player can have a fall in performance levels like this in just two years ?

arnie_ni

I watched most Juventus matches in the 2019-2020 season and he looked very good. How a player can have a fall in performance levels like this in just two years ?
It started just before Xmas. He started very well for us this season in goal scoring terms.

I actually think his general play is getting better the last 5 or 6 games without goals. It's goals we miss.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Ronaldo should play in the MLS next season. I don't see any CL club wanting him at this point.

El Zoido

He needs the ball on a plate for him, he’s trying to do too much. Spent far too much time on the left wing for us today, no use. I really think we’ve broken him.

izec

At his age, it can go quickly. We are not helping him either.

Ladron de redcafe

He'll still score a few worldies but his overall game is abysmal. He's finished at this level.
His overall game being as bad as it is makes justifying playing him extremely difficult. United look as if we have 10 men at times, when he's playing. It makes everything difficult for the team, and no top team afford passengers.

ClassOf'99

Ronaldo this season prior to Ralf:

16 games, 12 goals, 2 assists

Since Ralf joined:

14 games, 3 goals, 1 assist

Make of that what you will

ClassOf'99

His overall game being as bad as it is makes justifying playing him extremely difficult. United look as if we have 10 men at times, when he's playing. It makes everything difficult for the team, and no top team afford passengers.
Very few replacements to rest him and if thats true then we look like we have 9 when Rashford is playing.

His play outside the box isn't an issue, only the final 10 yards where we need him the most, very painful to watch, even more so with Rashford playing or Bruno being as wasteful as he was today.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Since Rangick came in. That's not to say he's to blame, but factually he's look finished since then.

hobbers

Since Ralf joined:

Probably important to bear in mind half his goals under Ole were in CL games against (what should have been) fodder.

redshaw

I think it was after the Arsenal home match we won 3-2. In the last minute he ran at full speed nearly the full length of the pitch to try and get United another goal and pulled up. He overdid it and has not been right since. I was hoping that winter break may of helped a bit but he really needs a lot of time to recover I think. He was playing well, scoring and running easily for the first half of the season and was doing well for Juve in scoring and assisting plenty of chances which other Juve players kept missing.

Problem is we've got no one now to play instead. Rashford is bust at the moment, Martial has been sent away and the guy that helped us last year in Cavani is nowhere this time.

The teams poor form in general hasn't helped, most of the games are very hard work and become frustrating physically and mentally.

Luke1995

It started just before Xmas. He started very well for us this season in goal scoring terms.

I actually think his general play is getting better the last 5 or 6 games without goals. It's goals we miss.
At his age, it can go quickly. We are not helping him either.
Since Rangick came in. That's not to say he's to blame, but factually he's look finished since then.

Since Ralf joined:

I think it was after the Arsenal home match we won 3-2. In the last minute he ran at full speed nearly the full length of the pitch to try and get United another goal and pulled up. He overdid it and has not been right since. I was hoping that winter break may of helped a bit but he really needs a lot of time to recover I think. He was playing well, scoring and running easily for the first half of the season and was doing well for Juve in scoring and assisting plenty of chances which other Juve players kept missing.

Problem is we've got no one now to play instead. Rashford is bust at the moment, Martial has been sent away and the guy that helped us last year in Cavani is nowhere this time.

The teams poor form in general hasn't helped, most of the games are very hard work and become frustrating physically and mentally.
Maybe Ole was tactically easier on Ronaldo ? If Ralf is asking him to do things that he may not be able to do and he gets more tired or loses confidence after mistakes

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Did he have the Covid around Xmas time? That can take it out of you big time. I had it in October and I still feel out of breath when I have to run for a bus.

Idxomer

Maybe Ole was tactically easier on Ronaldo ? If Ralf is asking him to do things that he may not be able to do and he gets more tired or loses confidence after mistakes
Ronaldo was also terrible under Ole, he's now getting more chances but can't finish them because he's slow and physically weak.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
The goals in the league under Ole are a bit misleading though. He scored 3 in the first 2 and 2 against Arsenal. Only one further goal in the league under Ole. I think 2 of those 6 were pens. So he was struggling in the league already under him and it only got worse.
6 out of those 12 goals came in the CL, where his scoring record is great to be fair.

Luke1995

Ronaldo was also terrible under Ole, he's now getting more chances but can't finish them because he's slow and physically weak.
He's not physically weak. Have you looked closely at his body ? He's probably one of the players with the most muscle mass. But yeah, his finishing needs to improve fast.

Pearl.Jam

Although it’s not gonna happen in a million years I f.cking hope he never gets anywhere near it, Rooney gave his best years for us, Ronnie sodded of to Madrid.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Kind of becoming like old Rooney. Was the main man. Now a shadow. Huge money. Always plays. Kind of sad to see. We need to learn these lessons the hard way. Sanchez, Rooney, Ronaldo…

We could be using that kind of money to be paying the best young players in the world instead

Rockets Redglare

He's not physically weak. Have you looked closely at his body ? He's probably one of the players with the most muscle mass. But yeah, his finishing needs to improve fast.
Muscle mass does not necessarily make you strong. He’s old as feck and struggling with the physicality and his finishing is poor because he doesn’t have the energy.

Luke1995

Muscle mass does not necessarily make you strong. He’s old as feck and struggling with the physicality and his finishing is poor because he doesn’t have the energy.
Fair enough! Let's hope Cavani stays fit, comes back strong and agrees to a new deal then... because it does not look like a new centre forward will be signed in the summer.

Judas

Open to offers
Honestly he does look physically weak for the PL this season, he seems very easily bullied and pushed off the ball. I don't know how big the aura is around him now, but to me it doesn't look like defenders are scared of him.

Luke1995

Honestly he does look physically weak for the PL this season, he seems very easily bullied and pushed off the ball. I don't know how big the aura is around him now, but to me it doesn't look like defenders are scared of him.
It may be that he is a couple seconds slower with his reactions time to events. When the defenders make the moves on him, it gets him off balance, if he wasnt expecting that

Hard to know if it can be improved

Todd

Sad to see him falling off but it happens to all players. I think it's fair to say that Rooney's record is going to be safe for a very, very long time.

Can't see him sticking around next season. I think PSG would pay him and the prospect of seeing Messi and Ronaldo play together would be quite the draw, even if they're both washed up.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Probably important to bear in mind half his goals under Ole were in CL games against (what should have been) fodder.
Not that important to bear in mind when we've struggled as a team against Middlesboro, Burnley, Watford and Norwich, who are the literal definition of fodder.

hobbers

Not that important to bear in mind when we've struggled as a team against Middlesboro, Burnley, Watford and Norwich, who are the literal definition of fodder.
Yeah but there's clearly a big difference between the intensity of CL group stage games vs fodder and Premier League vs fodder. Ronaldo looked comfortable against Villarreal and Young Boys. Not so much against Watford and Burnley.

Ronaldo could probably keep going if he was playing in Italy and Europa league and score 20 goals a season for another year or two. But Premier League games and knockout CL games are now beyond what he is physically capable of, at least for more than 30 minutes or so.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's absurd to be starting a 37-year old incessantly. He's not as done as he currently looks as that's a by-product of his PT being poorly handled, for whatever reason.

croadyman

Hurts to say but Ronny is really starting to look like the 2017 version of Rooney

House Mkhitaryan

We should be using him as a "super sub" who makes an occasional start. He just cannot be playing the minutes he's playing for us right now. Ralf could try Bruno false 9, Rashford up top and/or rotate Cavani as starter more often.

In retrospect, loaning Martial was a huge mistake. Ronaldo's decline, loss of Greenwood and Cavani's lack of availability has left our options at striker way too thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.