Ronaldo will take Rooney’s record

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroStu

Whats that 7 goals in 10 games now?.
He has a great chance at 30 goals this season, maybe more if he plays most games.

Luke1995

For someone who played over 300 games for us, it's a little bit baffling that he has only one hat trick for us.

To get that record he would need to score them like he did at Madrid and it's not happening. At Juventus he had only one hat trick if i'm not mistaken.

RetroStu

For someone who played over 300 games for us, it's a little bit baffling that he has only one hat trick for us.

To get that record he would need to score them like he did at Madrid and it's not happening. At Juventus he had only one hat trick if i'm not mistaken.
To be fair, it was only his last 2 seasons for us where he really became the goal scoring machine we know him as now.
Plus he was still young at the time, and playing on the wing. His game with his first stint with us was more about consistent scoring, a goal nearly every game, as oppose to scoring hattricks.
He will def get a few hattricks with his second spell though with him playing as a striker now. We just need to be more attacking as a team.

acnumber9

Whats that 7 goals in 10 games now?.
He has a great chance at 30 goals this season, maybe more if he plays most games.
Two great strikes disallowed for offside too. The one against Liverpool looked particularly close. Not even a penalty amongst them yet.

Luke1995

To be fair, it was only his last 2 seasons for us where he really became the goal scoring machine we know him as now.
Plus he was still young at the time, and playing on the wing. His game with his first stint with us was more about consistent scoring, a goal nearly every game, as oppose to scoring hattricks.
He will def get a few hattricks with his second spell though with him playing as a striker now. We just need to be more attacking as a team.
Yeah his playing style was very different. I think if he stays a couple more seasons he could get past the 200 goal mark for sure.

Rockets Redglare

Two great strikes disallowed for offside too. The one against Liverpool looked particularly close. Not even a penalty amongst them yet.
Yeah the one today was offside but I still can’t see how the one against Liverpool was.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I believe he will break Rooney’s record. He is still one of the very best players in the world.

Pablo76

I believe he will break Rooney’s record. He is still one of the very best players in the world.
How can you realistically back this up, because to me it seems so implausible that this thread shouldn’t even exist?

Pablo76

He has scored around 84 goals in his last 98 games?
Your point?

He’s about 140 goals short so he’ll continue at that rate for the next circa 160 games or 40 per season for 4 years will he?

Ridiculous.

cyberman

Your point?

He’s about 140 goals short so he’ll continue at that rate for the next circa 160 games or 40 per season for 4 years will he?

Ridiculous.
Why wouldn’t he? He could have 100 goals over the last 2 years if he keeps his run up. He only celebrated his 700th goal in 2019 and he’s on the verge of 800 in 2021
You asked for proof and that’s the best proof there is. His actual goal record.

FattyFooty

Your point?

Ridiculous.
Ronaldo is the best player i ever seen.

But in this team at this age, i really dont think its possible.

Trequarista10

It's fairly far fetched to expect him to score 30 in a season when he's 39-40.

It's possible because it's Ronaldo, but I'd say there's about a 1% chance of him doing it. It would be one of the most remarkable sporting achievements ever.

Pablo76

Why wouldn’t he? He could have 100 goals over the last 2 years if he keeps his run up. He only celebrated his 700th goal in 2019 and he’s on the verge of 800 in 2021
You asked for proof and that’s the best proof there is. His actual goal record.
You don’t really believe this, surely?

50 goals per season in the Premiership? And then another 40 when he’s 39/40?

Ok :lol:

Pablo76

Ronaldo is the best player i ever seen.

But in this team at this age, i really dont think its possible.
Likewise, best player I’ve seen play live and my favourite player for the last 10 years, but he will in no world get close to Rooneys Utd record.

Should have come back to us after Madrid for that and many reasons!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not that it would've made any difference but how on earth was that offside..?wasn't even on the line.
Agreed. Was one of those dodgy ones that didn't remotely look off even on the still.

Would have been outrage if the game had been close.

cyberman

You don’t really believe this, surely?

50 goals per season in the Premiership? And then another 40 when he’s 39/40?

Ok :lol:
I think he’ll fall just short but you asked for proof and you don’t get much better proof than being the second best goal scorer in world football over a two year span?
If I went back to when he was 33 and asked the forum what his record would be at near 37 I guarantee there would be the same sentiment as there is now. I remember being told he didn’t have many years left at 29 when we were linked with him then because he relied on athleticism…

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's miles off and would probably need 4 seasons here.
In fully functioning teams.

However, it'll be great fun watching him hurtle up the list and everyone knows there's not huge amounts of time left to see one of the best of all time live. Which is why tickets are absolute carnage to get hold of for the first time in yonks.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wouldn’t even be surprised if he’s not even here next summer, to be honest.

Pablo76

I think he’ll fall just short but you asked for proof and you don’t get much better proof than being the second best goal scorer in world football over a two year span?
If I went back to when he was 33 and asked the forum what his record would be at near 37 I guarantee there would be the same sentiment as there is now. I remember being told he didn’t have many years left at 29 when we were linked with him then because he relied on athleticism…
Fair point but this isn’t a Madrid dominating La Liga or a Juve dominated Serie A, scoring those numbers in the Premiership has never been seen and probably never will, despite it being Ronaldo.

That’s before you factor in his age too.

cyberman

Fair point but this isn’t a Madrid dominating La Liga or a Juve dominated Serie A, scoring those numbers in the Premiership has never been seen and probably never will, despite it being Ronaldo.

That’s before you factor in his age too.
But he was top scorer in the league last year for Juve who struggled for fourth? He is already our top scorer even though he missed the first 3 or 4 games.
From every angle he scores goals. I won’t rule anything out since he has managed age so well so far and I can’t see what attributes he loses that sees him drop off a goal scoring cliff. He has already minimised everything to the point he’s a box player with incredible movement. He isn’t just great for his age, he’s still world class

Pablo76

But he was top scorer in the league last year for Juve who struggled for fourth? He is already our top scorer even though he missed the first 3 or 4 games.
From every angle he scores goals. I won’t rule anything out since he has managed age so well so far and I can’t see what attributes he loses that sees him drop off a goal scoring cliff. He has already minimised everything to the point he’s a box player with incredible movement. He isn’t just great for his age, he’s still world class
As a huge Ronaldo fan boi I’m just going to jump aboard your enthusiasm ship then. :lol:

Would be one of the greatest sporting achievements in history tbh, but then he’s one of the best sports people ever.

Still won’t happen though!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wouldn’t even be surprised if he’s not even here next summer, to be honest.
I'd say the smart money is on 2 years. A third which is in the contract as being a possible, depends on a lot of things to say the least.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Next one will be interesting, pulling himself level with the manager!

Wayne Rooney 253
Sir Bobby Charlton 249
Denis Law 237
Jack Rowley 211
Dennis Viollet 179
George Best 179
Joe Spence 168
Ryan Giggs 168
Mark Hughes 163
Paul Scholes 155
Ruud van Nistelrooy 150
Stan Pearson 148
David Herd 145
Tommy Taylor 131
Brian McClair 127
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 126
Cristiano Ronaldo 125

AgentSmith

I assume that '84 in 96' figure includes international goals, which seems irrelevant to a discussion about the long-term viability of someone's scoring rate at club level. According to transfermarkt, Ronaldo has scored 108 goals in 144 club appearances over the last 4 seasons (18/19, 19/20, 20/21, 21/22). Giving us an average of 0.75 goals a game. That would require him to play and score at the same rate for another 172 appearances to break Rooney’s record.

172 appearances is probably 3.5 seasons worth of regular games, ignoring the possibility of injuries or early eliminations from competitions. That would most likely put Ronaldo at 40 years of age by appearance 172. Is it likely that he’ll still be scoring 35/40 goals a season when he’s 39 going on 40? What would our team even look like to enable that improbable possibility to happen?

Basically a long-winded way of saying I don't think he'll do it. And if he does do it, it would almost certainly be at the expense of the rest of the team.

Ixion

He obviously won't do it. If we dont finish in the top 4 I doubt he even stays for the 2nd season.

Highfather_24

Think he will stay here for couple of years and will reach around 180-190 goals. He will be in top 5.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Think he will stay here for couple of years and will reach around 180-190 goals. He will be in top 5.
There's a huge gap in the goals from 179 (Viollet & Best) up. That looks the realistic stretch target which would still take a fantastic effort.

Hit that, stay for 2-3 years and then no-one can deny him actually being United legend.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club

Wayne Rooney 253
Sir Bobby Charlton 249
Denis Law 237
Jack Rowley 211
Dennis Viollet 179
George Best 179
Joe Spence 168
Ryan Giggs 168
Mark Hughes 163
Paul Scholes 155
Ruud van Nistelrooy 150
Stan Pearson 148
David Herd 145
Tommy Taylor 131
Brian McClair 127
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 126
Cristiano Ronaldo 125
I don't think he breaks the record; but looking at that list, he could definitely make top 5, which would put him above some storied names. There is no doubt that he would have set the record had he spent more time at United.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think he breaks the record; but looking at that list, he could definitely make top 5, which would put him above some storied names. There is no doubt that he would have set the record had he spent more time at United.
Tying or bettering Best would be a great result I think.

cyberman

Wayne Rooney 253
Sir Bobby Charlton 249
Denis Law 237
Jack Rowley 211
Dennis Viollet 179
George Best 179
Joe Spence 168
Ryan Giggs 168
Mark Hughes 163
Paul Scholes 155
Ruud van Nistelrooy 150
Stan Pearson 148
David Herd 145
Tommy Taylor 131
Brian McClair 127
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 126
Cristiano Ronaldo 125
Looking at this, what the feck would Scholes total have been if we didn’t drop him back?!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He may score around 100 goals in 3 years. Can't see him staying here longer than that though. A 40 year old striker playing in the most physically demanding league in the world, would be too unthinkable. But the kind of things he has achievable throughout his career, are quite unthinkable anyway.

Has already scored 7 goals in 10 gams under a disjointed team (could have been 10 in 10, if the offside goals stay valid,, and Buno didn't take/miss the penalty). So maybe it's still possible he could get into top 4 or 5.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

Wayne Rooney 253
Sir Bobby Charlton 249
Denis Law 237
Jack Rowley 211
Dennis Viollet 179
George Best 179
Joe Spence 168
Ryan Giggs 168
Mark Hughes 163
Paul Scholes 155
Ruud van Nistelrooy 150
Stan Pearson 148
David Herd 145
Tommy Taylor 131
Brian McClair 127
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 126
Cristiano Ronaldo 125
Overtaking Rowley means he'll have done an unbelievable job. Reaching 200 would be huge. Those saying he will take Rooney's have allergy to maths let alone the common sense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Overtaking Rowley means he'll have done an unbelievable job. Reaching 200 would be huge. Those saying he will take Rooney's have allergy to maths let alone the common sense.
There's a huge gap from Viollet and Best to Rowley.
Around a season's worth of goals. A Very successful season at that.
I think the absolute glass ceiling is matching or just slipping past those two on 179.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
There's a huge gap from Viollet and Best to Rowley.
Around a season's worth of goals.
I think the absolute glass ceiling is matching or just slipping past those two on 179.
I think so mate. I'll be happy for it too.

Withnail

Yeah I think top 5 is possible for him. There's no chance he gets more than Rooney.

MDFC Manager

He needed to be on about 160-170 at the start of the season to have a chance.

Which could have been the case if he'd left us a year later when he first left :(

Status
Not open for further replies.