Ronaldo will take Rooney’s record

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUCK4444

What he achieved at other clubs has no bearing on being a United legend. And we have won feck all yet.
You must have missed the bit where he was a MASSIVE part in us winning everything when he was here the first time.

Who are your legends? Must be a feckin small pool of players bud.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah - and the first two years of Ronnie's stint at United he was developing really. If you look at his career he's head and shoulders above everyone else, not least with regards to the level he's played at.

Law had 183 in 302 matches
Is that league? Wiki has 237 goals in 404 games for us and 237 certainly is correct. That's .59 so same thing, with ~300 games already under his belt from the wing Cristiano would need to surpass Rooney's absolute record on the way to getting that gpg :eek:

antohan

You must have missed the bit where he was a MASSIVE part in us winning everything when he was here the first time.

Who are your legends? Must be a feckin small pool of players bud.
I have a lot of time for Cristiano and remember all that fondly. Actually look back thinking I should have enjoyed it even more!!!

That said, leaving and spending most of his career elsewhere is a downer. Don't hold it against him, I understand his motivations, etc. but makes legend status somewhat off the table for me. Depends on whether pool size is 10, 20 or 30 really.

For now, let's see how this return pans out.

RUCK4444

I have a lot of time for Cristiano and remember all that fondly. Actually look back thinking I should have enjoyed it even more!!!

That said, leaving and spending most of his career elsewhere is a downer. Don't hold it against him, I understand his motivations, etc. but makes legend status somewhat off the table for me. Depends on whether pool size is 10, 20 or 30 really.

Yeah, for me, it was the absolute pinnacle of entertainment in my time supporting the club, seeing him progress from a gangly teenager to the most entertaining dominant force that I’ve ever seen in the premier league whilst helping us win everything at the same time was just dreamland.

Those last two seasons he brought a special kind of feeling that I’ve never had with a player before or since, you were just so excited to see him play every game because you knew he’d probably win the game for us, he just ripped teams apart himself back then but played in a brilliant United side as well… but he was the main man, no doubt about that.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is that league? Wiki has 237 goals in 404 games for us and 237 certainly is correct. That's .59 so same thing, with ~300 games already under his belt from the wing Cristiano would need to surpass Rooney's absolute record on the way to getting that gpg :eek:
Yeah, Ronnie is not getting Rooney's record unless he plays for the next 3-4 years for us, as a starter throughout. I only looked at Transfermarkt, that's probably only league :nervous:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

2-3 years here maybe producing 50-70 goals, added to his previous body of work certainly gets him properly into legend status I'd say.

But I'd say he'd already got there, as how many players have we had who were world player of the year while playing for us? Fingers of one hand material.

antohan

2-3 years here maybe producing 50-70 goals, added to his previous body of work certainly gets him properly into legend status I'd say.

But I'd say he'd already got there, as how many players have we had who were world player of the year while playing for us? Fingers of one hand material.
Agree on the former. More so because if he did that it doesn't matter if he gets us to win the league or not, not doing it wouldn't be for lack of wanting/contribution. The flipside is if we miss top 4 this year and he then wants a move to stay in CL, that's decidedly not legend material. Only God knows :smirk:

WPOTY makes you a great player, not a legend. The likes of Robbo, Keane, Rio, even Giggs, were never in that conversation but it takes nothing away from them.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For me a legend is someone who will instantly come to mind for all the good stuff when looking back through history. Ronaldo will be talked about for decades so he has to be a legend.
But whether he is a United legend is open to debate

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldo is a legend of the game, but I think that he is definitely a United legend too. One of only four players who won the Ballon d’Or playing for us, was the talisman of Fergie’s greatest ever team that won 3 leagues, 1 UCL and reached another final, and likely will be a top 10 scorer ever for United. No player in the modern era made fans go wild as much as him. His peak was arguably the best ever, at worst second best after Best. It took United’s fans to wait 3 decades for the Best’s successor, to see a young player grow into the best player in the world while playing for us. Considering that we have only two in the entire history of the club, I think it is ridiculous to not give to Ronaldo the legendary status.

It sucks that he gave his best to Madrid, but the version (and time) he gave to United was pretty good too. For example, he has given (by the end of the season) 2 years more than Cantona, and almost the double number of matches and goals. And no one would argue that King Eric wasn’t a legend here.

Just that he was an even bigger legend for Madrid, it does not make him not a legend for us.

Jaymassive79

Do you really think ronaldo will stay at Utd after this season if Ole stays at the wheel and again fails to delivery a single trophy?

I believe ronaldo is a one off, his fitness, rarely injured and the odd time he is it not for long. He will win the golden boot this season imo. However when he sits down and reflects on zero team silverware why would anyone expect him to them commit his finally playing years to more of the same?

The guy is a serial winner who's played and won everything with the top managers in the game. He has also fitted into a wide range of tactics adapting his game accordingly, he must despair inside at what's happening with Ole.

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The guy feeds off challenges, always has. You could tell one major driver for him to go to Madrid was going toe to toe with Messi. His longevity will be directly influenced by this, not biological factors. Guy's a fecking machine.
  • Already top career goalscorer, can't see Messi making up the ~40 goal gap.
  • Top scorer in the Champions League too, but the margin of 15 on Messi could be more vulnerable. Early exit this season and no Top 4 and he is gone, for sure.
  • Ballon d'Or is another consideration. Messi currently one ahead. Making that two through Copa América win this year or World Cup next year would shut down that contest.
  • He can't realistically be targeting Rooney. Doubt "Top 5" is an appealing target. Law's 46 in a season record is a goer though.
Chasing Law, level on Ballons and preserving the UCL lead is the name of the game at individual record level. Getting us back to winning a league is a big one too.

As it is, we aren't holding our end of the bargain and look more likely to miss on CL next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if this all ends like old couples where the husband dies soon after the wife.

Cristiano won't retire with Messi knocking about, but the moment Lio calls it a day Cristiano will instantly lose all his (self)record-preservation incentive.
Ronaldo didn't move to Madrid to go toe to toe with Messi. He started pining for Madrid when he became world class in 2006 and only truly lost his mantle as the worlds best player to Messi in 2009, but Fergie could only convince to stay for one more season after 2008.

Gehrman

Ronaldo is a legend of the game, but I think that he is definitely a United legend too. One of only four players who won the Ballon d’Or playing for us, was the talisman of Fergie’s greatest ever team that won 3 leagues, 1 UCL and reached another final, and likely will be a top 10 scorer ever for United. No player in the modern era made fans go wild as much as him. His peak was arguably the best ever, at worst second best after Best. It took United’s fans to wait 3 decades for the Best’s successor, to see a young player grow into the best player in the world while playing for us. Considering that we have only two in the entire history of the club, I think it is ridiculous to not give to Ronaldo the legendary status.

It sucks that he gave his best to Madrid, but the version (and time) he gave to United was pretty good too. For example, he has given (by the end of the season) 2 years more than Cantona, and almost the double number of matches and goals. And no one would argue that King Eric wasn’t a legend here.

Just that he was an even bigger legend for Madrid, it does not make him not a legend for us.
I don't know. I agree with your sentiment, but he was on the cusp of signing with Man City before we swooped in. not really stuff of legends. Now that he's there we might as well enjoy him.

Green_Red

Wayne Rooney 253
Sir Bobby Charlton 249
Denis Law 237
Jack Rowley 211
Dennis Viollet 179
George Best 179
Joe Spence 168
Ryan Giggs 168
Mark Hughes 163
Paul Scholes 155
Ruud van Nistelrooy 150
Stan Pearson 148
David Herd 145
Tommy Taylor 131
Brian McClair 127
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 126
Andy Cole 121
Cristiano Ronaldo 118

He’s going over Ole this month for sure
Realistically he could overtake Ruud this season.

If he stayed 3 seasons he could possibly end his time here in the top 5 all time goalscorers list for us, which would be incredible.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't know. I agree with your sentiment, but he was on the cusp of signing with Man City before we swooped in. not really stuff of legends. Now that he's there we might as well enjoy him.
Rooney also flirted with signing with City and wanted to go to Chelsea. Denis Law actually went to go and play for City (and scored in the match that cemented our relegation). Yet, both are United’s legends.

Gehrman

Rooney also flirted with signing with City and wanted to go to Chelsea. Denis Law actually went to go and play for City (and scored in the match that cemented our relegation). Yet, both are United’s legends.
All our legends are cnuts. Best beat his wife and was an alcoholic, Rooney shagged granny, Denis, Schemicel, cole joined City, Giggs shagged his sisters wife for 8 years and Scholes sucks toes!

Flytan

All our legends are cnuts. Best beat his wife and was an alcoholic, Rooney shagged granny, Denis, Schemicel, cole joined City, Giggs shagged his sisters wife for 8 years and Scholes sucks toes!
How dare you compare any of them to what Scholes did. It's completely unfair to them!

antohan

Ronaldo didn't move to Madrid to go toe to toe with Messi. He started pining for Madrid when he became world class in 2006 and only truly lost his mantle as the worlds best player to Messi in 2009, but Fergie could only convince to stay for one more season after 2008.
I know, but did you not also get the feeling after that game with Barca that we hadn't just lost the final but also 100% lost Cristiano?

Win that and it could all have been different (two CLs in a row? hard to walk away from that!), but you knew the impotence you felt throughout would be magnified by a factor of 10x if you were him. They were playing a different ballgame, Messi was taking him over, and being Cristiano you wouldn't want to hide away in the PL and get one or two showdowns a season, you would want every week to be about you or him.

That's why I say I understand his original motives (simply liking Madrid) and those that piled on as a competitive individual. I don't have a grudge like others do/did, but it does certainly count against him as a club legend.

antohan

I think all the City stuff was agent smoke and mirrors, not half bothered by it.

The Rooney stuff was more irritating but, again, agents and hangers on do have that sort of impact these days whenever a player and the club/manager are at odds. If he threatened to go back to Everton nobody would give a rat's, it has to be rivals, ergo, treason.

Poor to have a pop at Denis in a legends discussion. If anything it should be City fans angry he left them, gave us his best years, and returned for a single season, on a free, having scored a measly 2 goals in his last season with us. WE let him go. You also don't get relegated for a single goal conceded over an entire season. He didn't just not celebrate but retired right after. Absolute legend.

RuudTom83

Ronaldo coming back helps his Legend status immensely, not that it could be argued before, but the argument is dead now.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think all the City stuff was agent smoke and mirrors, not half bothered by it.

The Rooney stuff was more irritating but, again, agents and hangers on do have that sort of impact these days whenever a player and the club/manager are at odds. If he threatened to go back to Everton nobody would give a rat's, it has to be rivals, ergo, treason.

Poor to have a pop at Denis in a legends discussion. If anything it should be City fans angry he left them, gave us his best years, and returned for a single season, on a free, having scored a measly 2 goals in his last season with us. WE let him go. You also don't get relegated for a single goal conceded over an entire season. He didn't just not celebrate but retired right after. Absolute legend.
My point was not having pop on anyone. At the contrary, my point was that just cause Rooney flirted with City, or in case of Law, actually joining City, it does not diminish their status as a legend at all. By the same metric, it shouldn't diminish Ronaldo's status.

antohan

My point was not having pop on anyone. At the contrary, my point was that just cause Rooney flirted with City, or in case of Law, actually joining City, it does not diminish their status as a legend at all. By the same metric, it shouldn't diminish Ronaldo's status.
I guess I could use your tagline ;)

You never know these days. Every time I see a counterargument based on what some other player does/did I get a bit pissed. Too much running down of our own players going on, constantly.

SirAF

Ageist
He would be the first player ever on the planet to reach 800 goals at top level.
:drool:

Edit: There are claims of Josef Bican being on 805+ goals, but those are highly unverified as I understand it.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How do you know this? For sure?

A player who knew Ronaldo is on record as saying he "knew" that Ronaldo was coming here months before.

Gehrman

How do you know this? For sure?

A player who knew Ronaldo is on record as saying he "knew" that Ronaldo was coming here months before.
Didn't the media outlets report that his former united mates all contacted him to convince him not to spoil his man utd legacy?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I can't believe some are discussing whether Ronaldo is a legend because of his interest in joining the best team in England, especially after what Rooney did in the past.

Additionally, we know how clueless our board is and how much of a push they need to do something they haven't planned on doing. If Mendez and Ronaldo didn't orchestrate this transfer, he'd still be at Juventus.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
:drool:

Edit: There are claims of Josef Bican being on 805+ goals, but those are highly unverified as I understand it.
Those Bican goals includes many games from reserve/regional level, so its not exactly from top level football. and majority of his goals are scored during world war period too.

Here's the all time ranking from IFFHS for offical goals scored in top level football:

1. Ronaldo - 798 goals
2. Pele - 765 goals
3. Messi - 755 goals
4. Romario - 753 goals
5. Puskas - 729 goals
6. Bican - 720 goals
7. Jones - 647 goals
8. Muller - 634 goals
9. Eusebio - 622 goals
10. Bambrick - 616 goals

And here's the ranking from RSSSF for official goals scored in all level of football (including regional/lower league/youth football)

1. Helmchen - 982 goals
2. Bican - 948 goals
3. Rooke - 886 goals
4. Ronaldo - 816 goals
5. Puskas - 806 goals
6. Deak - 795 goals
7. Messi - 782 goals
8. Romario - 780 goals
9. Pele - 775 goals
10. Lenstra - 775 goals

Apparently Helmchen never play any top level football before, all of his goals are scored in lower league from Germany. Whereas Bican scored most of his goals during world war period even they are considered at top level, but also including handful from the reserve level. Similarly, Rooke is another player benefits during the wartime even at top level, but many of his goals are also scored from lower league football in England.

Hence, the player who scored most in top level, is indeed Ronaldo.

But to be fair, players like Pele and Muller did scored a lot more "unofficial" goals in friendlies too, just that its during the era where club would earn more money holding tour of exhibition games, so, they are not qualified as official matches, and to be fair those games in general are less competitive in nature, its like pre-season friendlies or something, so it just doesn't count.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We say goodbye to Choccy.

Manchester United’s all time leading goalscorers

1. Wayne Rooney
  2. Sir Bobby Charlton
  3. Denis Law
  4. Jack Rowley
  5. Dennis Viollet
  6. George Best
  7. Joe Spence
  8. Ryan Giggs
  9. Mark Hughes
  10. Paul Scholes
  11. Ruud van Nistelrooy
  12. Stan Pearson
  13. David Herd
  14. Tommy Taylor
  15. Cristiano Ronaldo
  16. Brian McClair
  17. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
  18. Andy Cole

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Touching distance of Taylor then, but after that a decent gap. But then three to reel in within a short range, and after that it then starts spreading out.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Status
Not open for further replies.