Ronaldo will take Rooney’s record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargent7

We also finished second in the league last season, so we can comfortably say we have regressed with Ronaldo.
CL is more important than PL, so since with Ronaldo we improved in the most important trophy, we can say we improvied with since he arrived.

Ladron de redcafe

Last year we didn't have Ronaldo and we finished in the third position in the third place in the Groups stage of CL, and we had to play Europa League. This season with Ronaldo scoring in every CL game we finished in the first position and we're gonna play the CL knock out phase. So we can say we improved with Ronaldo.
It was a different groups and it's a very small sample size. Last season, we played 38 matches and finished in 2nd place without Ronaldo. That's a much bigger indication that we have regressed under Ronaldo.

JB7

So if Ronaldo is useless and should be benched then who exactly should be starting up front?

Cavani? Available for about 3 games in 10 and generally better from the bench.
Rashford? We all know he isn't a centre forward.
Greenwood? Oh.
Martial? We've only just finally got rid of him.
Sancho? Well I guess we've tried everything else other than playing him in the actual position we signed him for so why not.
Fernandes? So we wait months for him to come into form and then move him away from the spot he's been playing well in to try him in an untested position?
Lingard? Clearly doesn't want to be at the club.

Which brings you back to Ronaldo who a) is almost always available, b) is actually a centre forward, c) is still at the club and d) is actually our top goalscorer.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It was a different groups and it's a very small sample size. Last season, we played 38 matches and finished in 2nd place without Ronaldo. That's a much bigger indication that we have regressed under Ronaldo.
Main reasons for us finishing where we did were down to the unique exceptions of that campaign, and the fall from pace Liverpool and Chelsea both had. The fact we're only 6 points off where we were at the same point last season shows what an outlier last season was. And we were supposedly in a title race at that point a year ago.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Ronaldo should be played while here, but sold ASAP in the Summer.

He doesn’t suit the type of footy Utd seem to wanna play and his influence upon the dressing room seems to be a very toxic one.

Considering the crap that players like Pogba and Martial have had for supposedly being ‘toxic’ it’s remarkable that Ronaldo’s obviously divisive effect on the dressing room is just ignored.

But mainly for football reasons, Utd should move him on.

As many know, I was excited about his signing initially, and I wanted him to break Rooney’s record, but he just doesn’t fit. Add into that the dressing room stuff and I’d say get rid. Though I’d wish him well wherever he went.

Ladron de redcafe

Main reasons for us finishing where we did were down to the unique exceptions of that campaign, and the fall from pace Liverpool and Chelsea both had. The fact we're only 6 points off where we were at the same point last season shows what an outlier last season was. And we were supposedly in a title race at that point a year ago.
But we shouldn't be 6 points behind where we were last season after adding Sancho, Varane, and the guy whose fanboys inundated the forum with posts claiming he would bridge the gap and be the difference between 2nd and 1st.

Instead, here we are.

Ixion

+ Empty stadiums. It hurt some teams more than others like Liverpool, unbeaten at home this season and in 2020 but last season lost 6 at home.

Whether its purely coincidence or a mental thing our best form was in front of no fans

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
But we shouldn't be 6 points behind where we were last season after adding Sancho, Varane, and the guy whose fanboys inundated the forum with posts claiming he would bridge the gap and be the difference between 2nd and 1st.

Instead, here we are.
Agreed, but I think the narrative that we've massively declined from last season is a bit overstretched. Despite wanting to think otherwise at the start of the campaign, the reality is we've never been anywhere near the best sides in the league when they're on form, and this season is a bit more honest to what the league looks like than last.

Mickson

So if Ronaldo is useless and should be benched then who exactly should be starting up front?

Greenwood? Oh.
Sancho? Well I guess we've tried everything else other than playing him in the actual position we signed him for so why not.
Fernandes? So we wait months for him to come into form and then move him away from the spot he's been playing well in to try him in an untested position?

Which brings you back to Ronaldo who a) is almost always available, b) is actually a centre forward, c) is still at the club and d) is actually our top goalscorer.
I would play Bruno as a false nine. For example:

Rashford - Bruno - Sancho
Fred - Pogba
McTominay

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Greenwood? Oh.

Ronaldo has never actually been a good center forward. He's always struggled playing through the middle. He has always needed someone to play off of.

JB7

Ronaldo has never actually been a good center forward. He's always struggled playing through the middle. He has always needed someone to play off of.
I don't dispute that historically but over the past few seasons he has naturally moved into a centre forward role and as the question was posed, if not Ronaldo up front, then who?

JB7

I would play Bruno as a false nine. For example:

Rashford - Bruno - Sancho
Fred - Pogba
McTominay
So you'd move Bruno away from a position he's finally started playing well in to play in in an untested role then. I don't see how that is logical especially given it essentially means more reliance on Rashford and Sancho, both of whom are having worse seasons than Ronaldo is.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't dispute that historically but over the past few seasons he has naturally moved into a centre forward role and as the question was posed, if not Ronaldo up front, then who?
He's moved centrally as teams can't afford his lack of off the ball work anywhere else... But he's struggled all the same and tends to do better still on the wing.

But it's a fair point. Cavani/Ronaldo should rotate but both have been poor. We don't have much of an alternative.

evil_geko

If not Ronaldo then who? Literally anyone, bring someone from the youth, anyone. I don't expect world class or even great performances from Ronaldo, I would be content with "decent", he is not even close to that.

Mickson

So you'd move Bruno away from a position he's finally started playing well in to play in in an untested role then. I don't see how that is logical especially given it essentially means more reliance on Rashford and Sancho, both of whom are having worse seasons than Ronaldo is.
Yes, I think that's best for the team and especially our midfield, which is important. Or do you claim we have been working wonders earlier?

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.

Instead, here we are.
You're fighting losing batle with those who are defending Cristiano because they are more interested in Cristiano achievements than Uniteds, just like Cristiano is.

JB7

He's moved centrally as teams can't afford his lack of off the ball work anywhere else... But he's struggled all the same and tends to do better still on the wing.

But it's a fair point. Cavani/Ronaldo should rotate but both have been poor. We don't have much of an alternative.
I appreciate that and don't disagree by the way. Look in theory I'd still play on him off someone and the Bruno false 9 idea had me intrigued a couple of months back with Ronaldo to the left and Sancho or Rashford to the right but given Bruno has played himself back into form in a deeper role and Ronaldo is still getting chances has me thinking that Ronaldo just needs something to go in and things will start moving for him again. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't getting opportunities or into goalscoring positions.

Yes, I think that's best for the team and especially our midfield, which is important. Or do you claim we have been working wonders earlier?
No, I don't think our midfield has been good at all until some gentle improvements over the past few weeks, of which Bruno has played a massive part so I think moving him away from the midfield now would be the wrong thing to do.

Mickson

I appreciate that and don't disagree by the way. Look in theory I'd still play on him off someone and the Bruno false 9 idea had me intrigued a couple of months back with Ronaldo to the left and Sancho or Rashford to the right but given Bruno has played himself back into form in a deeper role and Ronaldo is still getting chances has me thinking that Ronaldo just needs something to go in and things will start moving for him again. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't getting opportunities or into goalscoring positions.

No, I don't think our midfield has been good at all until some gentle improvements over the past few weeks, of which Bruno has played a massive part so I think moving him away from the midfield now would be the wrong thing to do.
Bruno hasn't helped much to solve our midfield problems, for one thing, he was part of the problems. No control, no defensive stability, too open, and not good enough in progressing the ball forward. All of the things Bruno isn't very good at. He is a clutch player. Shooting, creating the final ball, and (usually) finishing. He doesn't contribute that much to our play, although much more than Ronaldo who does nothing under Rangnick.

JB7

Bruno hasn't helped much to solve our midfield problems, for one thing, he was part of the problems. No control, no defensive stability, too open, and not good enough in progressing the ball forward. All of the things Bruno isn't very good at. He is a clutch player. Shooting, creating the final ball, and (usually) finishing. He doesn't contribute that much to our play, although much more than Ronaldo who does nothing under Rangnick.
Then you've watched a completely different player to me over the past month since we changed formations and dropped him deeper.

Bestofthebest

1. Yes. 2. Ronaldo.
Very sorry to disappoint you but much as I liked Ronald first time round I believe bringing him back was not the best idea. Still a good player but very hard to fit into this Utd. team. As for thinking Utds passing was any where near acceptable on Friday I would suggest you watch some of the teams we are trying to compete with in the Prem.

Hammondo

I agree we have regressed but your logic isn't good. Competition was much weaker last season, and statistically we overperformed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Irwin99

Think he needs 7 more to get to 100 PL goals which is a list he should be on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thought he'd never reach 15 this season, feels like forever since the14th!
Should have had another one or two tonight, but hopefully presses on now.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s still getting into good positions - it’s just not falling for him. I’m not worried about him having still a bit in a tank left.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He’s still getting into good positions - it’s just not falling for him. I’m not worried about him having still a bit in a tank left.
If that second half performance came from any of our top 4 opponents they’d be getting talked up. But it’s ronaldo so it should be the minimum.

The tank is far from dry and I think if he can learn to work in Ralfs system, he’ll reinvent himself again.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
The only record he will take is the number of games he starts despite being way over the hill.

led_scholes

He can't play every minute or every game. Unfortunately, Cavani and Rashford cannot be trusted. Don't we have another young striker?

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He’s up there with Falcao levels of performance for us. Difference being Falcao didn’t play 90 minutes every game. He’s done.

KeanoMagicHat

He doesn’t have the legs to get the shot away, sad really. He knows how to do it, body can’t do it.

hobbers

He'll still score a few worldies but his overall game is abysmal. He's finished at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.