Ronaldo's debut vs. Bolton (Aug 16, 2003)

Josh 76

I was there at the game. Remember it like yesterday. After we scored the 4th me and my mates were singing "who the feck is David Beckham" (calm down fellas , it was just banter)

Then after the game, after a few beers, I remember standing at the bar and telling people in the pub, "this Kid Ronaldo is going to be the best player in the world".

True story. Just wish I had but some Money on it at the time. But I was Probably suffering from a hangover the next day.

Irrational.

I remember listening to this game on Key 103 FM on my home HiFi with Mickey Thomas as the co-commentator, and not being able to wait for MOTD that evening.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I normally watch the highlights of his debut every year or so. It, along with the 7-1 against Roma, were probably the most 'fun' moments I've ever had watching football. Two moments where I just sat there throughout the entire thing with a huge smile on my face, enjoying the absolute brilliance on display and imagining an incredible future.

I remember there was an Arsenal fan on the forum who were pissed after his debut, saying that they may as well give us the league already because we'd just signed somebody who looked like he was going to be the best player in the world. Can't remember who it was and it took a couple of years to get there, but he certainly called it. :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Wow. What a trip through that thread. The excitement and wording used in there is eerily similar to Greenwood's threads when he makes scoring look easy. Also, shout out to @MrMarcello for (what i think) being the only person still kicking around 17 years after posting in that thread.
Ha. I probably predicted Kleberson to be great.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Still the best debut for any Man Utd player ever in my mind, yes even better than Rooney's

United58

I normally watch the highlights of his debut every year or so. It, along with the 7-1 against Roma, were probably the most 'fun' moments I've ever had watching football. Two moments where I just sat there throughout the entire thing with a huge smile on my face, enjoying the absolute brilliance on display and imagining an incredible future.

I remember there was an Arsenal fan on the forum who were pissed after his debut, saying that they may as well give us the league already because we'd just signed somebody who looked like he was going to be the best player in the world. Can't remember who it was and it took a couple of years to get there, but he certainly called it. :lol:
Ironically they won the league that year :lol: Never again :devil:

madzo2007

I remember watching Gillette Soccer Saturday (no rivers back in them days!) and George Best was raving about Ronaldo and was excited to watch Match of the Day that night.

Ronaldo was excellent I remember against Arsenal a few weeks later, probably one of the only times he got the better of Ashley Cole. He was fairly hit and miss the first few seasons but it really started coming together in 2005/06 and then he exploded into life in 2006/07 and the rest is history.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Jim Pakistan? Someone remind me what that was about?

Icemav

I remember watching Gillette Soccer Saturday (no rivers back in them days!) and George Best was raving about Ronaldo and was excited to watch Match of the Day that night.

Ronaldo was excellent I remember against Arsenal a few weeks later, probably one of the only times he got the better of Ashley Cole. He was fairly hit and miss the first few seasons but it really started coming together in 2005/06 and then he exploded into life in 2006/07 and the rest is history.
Yeah I never understood the confusion about his patchy form between the ages of 17-20. I just remember thinking the guy was one of the most talented players I had ever seen and he loved football and was very dedicated. No surprise he became the best in the world. His talent alone was on another level to almost everyone in the Premier from the moment he stepped on the pitch against Bolton. Inconsistency from a young player is about the least baffling thing in football.

Oldyella

Watched this in a pub on a lads holiday. Brilliant debut, all the pissed up Utd contingent were bullish about him!

Deery

Dreary
First player my Dad ever said did you see Ronaldo’s debut to me, remember it like yesterday he had a big smile on his face. Never seen him like that before.

Brad_Piff

Amazing debut - he had all the makings of a star

As a sidenote, I forgot how absolutely awful Forlan was - great player but some of his touches and poor footballing sense brought back repressed memories

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Took a trip down memory lane today and ended up watching the entire game, but for those that just want to re-watch the memorable Ronaldo debut, here's all his touches

I wish there was a way to check Redcafe archives going back to 2003 so we could read the match-day reactions to that game. Would have been something else!
My favourite United game, for the first time, and only time to date, in my life I walked away from OT feeling I’d just seen the future best player in the world. A gorgeous August afternoon too.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Still the best debut for any Man Utd player ever in my mind, yes even better than Rooney's
Yep, hat trick is special....but in terms of talent, what I had witnessed there with Ronaldo was on a complete different level to Rooney. To this day I still think had Rooney not been English there would never have been a debate around who was more talented at any stage of their careers.

RUCK4444

My god he was electric for us, I mean electric.

Most exciting player I’ve ever seen in United Red (in my lifetime anyway.)

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Yep, hat trick is special....but in terms of talent, what I had witnessed there with Ronaldo was on a complete different level to Rooney. To this day I still think had Rooney not been English there would never have been a debate around who was more talented at any stage of their careers.
Total bollox.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Took a trip down memory lane today and ended up watching the entire game, but for those that just want to re-watch the memorable Ronaldo debut, here's all his touches

I wish there was a way to check Redcafe archives going back to 2003 so we could read the match-day reactions to that game. Would have been something else!
What a joy to see a highlights reel without utterly shite music playing over the top. Great find.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The first thing I noticed was the energy in OT. Not just the stark, obvious contrast compared to now, but how it's been in recent years.

The second thing I noticed was how good it was to trust so many of the players on the pitch for us, and feel an affinity with them because you knew they'd give their all.

Third thing was how much better we were as a unit. The speed of play, the overlaps, the lack of hesitation. Everyone's running full pelt before you even see them enter the screen. There's 3 players in a close vicinity absolutely pegging it, with no intention to slow it down.

Tarrou

I remember being impressed but also thinking he was a flash bastard

In the pub that night my mate called him the next Giggs and I said he was talking bollocks

Chief123

I was still mad about the Beckham sale but this was my favourite debut and the most excited I've ever been for a prospect. 6 years later I would be mad about his sale too even though I knew this was inevitable. I will forever cherish his time with us, his journey with us from young star to the best in the world was thrilling.
I always wondered how amazing it would have been had we had Beckham playing with Ronaldo and Rooney. Beckham providing the balls for their runs would have been deadly.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
To be quite honest I remember not being overly impressed with Ronaldo's debut. He was flash I thought but would he last?
Rooney definitely made a more impressive debut.

kiristao

He created a sort of excitement from the moment he stepped on the pitch. What a debut that was. If not for some wayward finishing by Ruud (surprisingly), he could have had a couple more assists.
I think most people are more impressed with Ronaldo's debut over Rooney's is because most of us had no idea about Ronaldo but Rooney was already a known entity so expectations were already high.

Pablo18th

I always wondered how amazing it would have been had we had Beckham playing with Ronaldo and Rooney. Beckham providing the balls for their runs would have been deadly.
Yup Beckham was a consistent clear cut chance machine.

Thiagoal

I was at that game and from the first moment he got the ball, the whole crowd knew that a superstar was born! People were on their feet every time the ball got passed to him. Was so excited travelling home! Mind you I was also buzzing about how well Djemba Djemba did!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I remember being impressed but also thinking he was a flash bastard

In the pub that night my mate called him the next Giggs and I said he was talking bollocks
I think this is more about you than Ronaldo.

Coxy

Got me in a binge of watching us back then - loved Rooney debut too - god how we have fallen from those days.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Anyone else used to post on Soccerpulse back in the day? Used to be a classic thread there “Would you accept a £25m bid for Ronaldo?”, this was around 05-06.

Anecdote for the Messi fans on here:

His cult had begun around this time too and I founded the Cristiano Ronaldo Appreciation Party. I managed to get a bunch die hard Ronaldo fans to have as their post signature a big bright graphic of Ronaldo with C.R.A.P in massive letters across it.

Jacob

The giddy excitement of seeing this, as well as Rooney at his first European Championship knowing he was ours, really miss those days.

The only thing that has come close ever since was Martial's debut.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The giddy excitement of seeing this, as well as Rooney at his first European Championship knowing he was ours, really miss those days.

The only thing that has come close ever since was Martial's debut.
Januzajs was exciting at Sunderland