Rooney Charged: Faces Two Match Ban for cursing | Appeal lost

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That can't be used as a defence, Rooney said in his apology that he wasn't aiming it at anyone in particular.
It doesn't need to be used as a defence, seeing as the rules on foul and abusive language don't take into account who the bad language is aimed at.

It is, however, relevant to all the bollox peddled in the media (and some on here) that Rooney sought out a camera and deliberately swore at the viewing public.

Lance Uppercut

I wonder if I have enough time on my hands to actually follow you around and delete all your obvious trolling attempts. Probably not to be honest. Maybe we mods could do shift work between us?
At least the rest of our opposition fans have the decency to keep it out of the United forum.

kietotheworld

It doesn't need to be used as a defence, seeing as the rules on foul and abusive language don't take into account who the bad language is aimed at.

It is, however, relevant to all the bollox peddled in the media (and some on here) that Rooney sought out a camera and deliberately swore at the viewing public.
Don't get me wrong, I think the decision is farcical, players every week are clearly guilty of the exact same offence that Rooney was guilty of, but go completely unpunished. It is the FA picking and choosing which offences they want to punish, and ignoring the rules, which is unacceptable.

Clearly though, the 'swearing at viewers' thing was taken into account though, and any defence of Rooney, either against the disciplinary commission, against the media or against some RedCafe posters, is severely weakened by Rooney saying he didn't aim it at anyone.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don't get me wrong, I think the decision is farcical, players every week are clearly guilty of the exact same offence that Rooney was guilty of, but go completely unpunished. It is the FA picking and choosing which offences they want to punish, and ignoring the rules, which is unacceptable.

Clearly though, the 'swearing at viewers' thing was taken into account though, and any defence of Rooney, either against the disciplinary commission, against the media or against some RedCafe posters, is severely weakened by Rooney saying he didn't aim it at anyone.
I'm sure the club's legal bods went over his statement very carefully before it was released and decided that coming out and saying his comments were directed at an individual - i.e. the camera-man - would have been unhelpful to his case (which was presumably based around the constant, generalised swearing that accompanies every game of football)

The case is over, anyway, so I'm not really talking about it from the perspective of the FA. It's definitely worth stressing the point, though, that Rooney didn't a) seek out a camera and b) aim his abuse at the viewing public. These assumptions were held by the majority of the media and some on here. They are assumptions which make Rooney seem completely deranged.

Telling a cameraman to feck off when he's interrupting a highly charged team celebration - demanding Rooney kiss the lens of his camera - certainly makes Rooney's actions a lot more understandable. To me, anyway.

Shimo

Scott over at RoM who has started a swear watch got this reply from the FA (as others did) when they reported the weekend swearing.

Dear Scott,
Thank you for contacting the Football Association.
The FA takes a dim view of any foul and abusive language used at football matches. The clear distinction to be made in the Wayne Rooney case is that the language used was directed specifically at a television camera lens, whilst clearly audible to the viewing public. We will always take a view on every incident reported to us by match officials, who also have the ability to apply Law 12 in relation to insulting and abusive language or gestures.
The FA values the opinions of football supporters and we thank you for getting in touch with us to share your views.
Best wishes,
John
Also the Mirror has a similar thing going on but, my guess is they have less than pure motives in that they just want to continue to feed off the original story. Still their efforts hopefully will put the FA under pressure - Lip reader exposes players swearing on live TV following Wayne Rooney's ban - including Joey Barton, Jermaine Beckford, Matthew Etherington, Peter Crouch, Charlie Adam, Mick McCarthy - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

wr8_utd

:'(
What a way not to let the camera catch you swearing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If Rooney did that intentionally it's genius