Rooney Dropped | Megathread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
Rooney dropped. So much for his contract saying he has to play. Glad that nonsense is out of the way now.

Minimalist

THANK feck FOR THAT!

Now let's win the match and support the manager against the inevitable 'Rooney should play' brigade that comes.

Art Vandelay

Paul Walsh actually admitting Rooney isn't playing well. The tide is turning at least and maybe there won't be much of a backlash from the media for dropping him.

Born2Lose

Really wonder how legends of the past like Best, Law and Charlton would be have been viewed in the later years of their careers if Redcafe had been around at the time. Charlton failing to score double figures in his last 3 seasons would surely be seen as a has been outstaying his welcome in a team that was struggling badly and heading to relegation. Best could hardly be forgiven for walking out on the club while still in his prime at a time when we really needed him. And despite a lack of celebration you could hardly forgive Denis Law for first moving to City and then relegating us.
Ironically with Best, I suspect his problem was the same as with Rooney, too many people telling him how great he is and not enough people keeping him grounded.

If more people had been harder and less indulgent with Rooney when he was younger we might not be dealing with a 30 year old who plays like a 35 year old now.

How you can even compare someone a guy like Charlton to Rooney baffles me.

Walters_19_MuFc

Right decision, I guess. He hasn't been playing well enough, and we now have a squad that can games without him.

This will hopefully give him a bit of fire in his belly, though.

Witchking

Neville finally firing shots
He is still covering for Rooney by saying that now that Rooney is out, United have no excuses, with the money they have spent, are the rest of the guys good enough to win the league. Seriously irritating. Even if United lose, it's ok. Rooney should not start. We need to plan for the future and Rooney should not be a part of it.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Really happy that he's finally dropped. It's actually amazing that he's scored two (TWO :eek:) goals since Febuary. Playing as a striker or an attacking midfielder.

That is fecking shocking.

OneUnited24

Finally a manager whos willing to make the BIG calls... I hope it doesnt backfire! :lol:

Man-United

Finally a thread on this and not all this in the "Performance" thead.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mourinho on dropping Rooney

“I knew the question would come, but I think the question should be that we have two young English players in the starting line-up. Lingard and Rashford are quick, the game is going to be intense and fast; we need fast players around Zlatan today. The last thing I want to do as a manager is hurt players or create negative situations - in a normal country with a normal media I would say, ‘23 players, lost of matches to play, fresh people, we have another match on Thursday’. It is just a normal decision.”

Gary Neville on Rooney

“In some ways, it’s become a distraction and that’s not good. It’s the right decision to leave him out today. He’s entering a period of his career where he needs to be managed towards the end of his career - it happened at this club with Robson, Giggs, Scholes. He can have the same end to his career where he plays 25/30 games a season and still contribute. He can play in a Europa League game and Zlatan can play on a Sunday. He has to accept that.

“I’m not saying that moment is now but it is coming, it happens to every player, and he should be relaxed about it. He’s played 800 football matches. It’s impossible for him to think he’s the same player he was 10 years ago. It’s the right thing for Wayne Rooney: he has looked mentally and physically shot in the last two weeks. Have a rest and come back stronger. I think he can still contribute here.”

(Guardian)

Walters_19_MuFc

You must be gutted
Why would he be? Fact is, we're all Man United fans. Yes, some of us have favourite players, but ultimately, it should come down to wanting your team to do good. If that means it's without Rooney, or anyone else for that matter, then so be it.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
1 game hardly dismisses the contract speculation. It's so bad it's got to the point where people (Collymore wasn't alone) were speculating whether Paul Stretford himself would be requesting for Rooney to be dropped for his own good.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Great news. So overwhelmingly obviously the right thing to do.

Good thing is that the media reaction has been unanimously supportive of it.

Witchking

Mourinho on dropping Rooney

“I knew the question would come, but I think the question should be that we have two young English players in the starting line-up. Lingard and Rashford are quick, the game is going to be intense and fast; we need fast players around Zlatan today. The last thing I want to do as a manager is hurt players or create negative situations - in a normal country with a normal media I would say, ‘23 players, lost of matches to play, fresh people, we have another match on Thursday’. It is just a normal decision.”

Gary Neville on Rooney

“In some ways, it’s become a distraction and that’s not good. It’s the right decision to leave him out today. He’s entering a period of his career where he needs to be managed towards the end of his career - it happened at this club with Robson, Giggs, Scholes. He can have the same end to his career where he plays 25/30 games a season and still contribute. He can play in a Europa League game and Zlatan can play on a Sunday. He has to accept that.

“I’m not saying that moment is now but it is coming, it happens to every player, and he should be relaxed about it. He’s played 800 football matches. It’s impossible for him to think he’s the same player he was 10 years ago. It’s the right thing for Wayne Rooney: he has looked mentally and physically shot in the last two weeks. Have a rest and come back stronger. I think he can still contribute here.”

(Guardian)
He wil start on thursday :( We need an extended run without Rooney in the team. God forbid, if we lose today Rooney might start regularly for the team.

Manny

Grammar Police
He is still covering for Rooney by saying that now that Rooney is out, United have no excuses, with the money they have spent, are the rest of the guys good enough to win the league. Seriously irritating. Even if United lose, it's ok. Rooney should not start. We need to plan for the future and Rooney should not be a part of it.
I was always expecting that line from Neville and his defenders. There that obvious.

Man-United

Shame the way it has been going for him. I have disliked him ever since that contract saga in 2010 and then another one in 2013 when he wanted to leave.
And he has not done his work off the pitch either because his performance on the pitch show this.

Feck him.

Sparky10Legend

Im praying he doesn't break the record now......I actually think there's a chance he wont.

Mr. Ant

Finally but it's just the beginning.

Others have to step up and whole team needs to play on a certain level and win matches in order to keep Rooney on the bench.

justboy68

Only took a couple of years for these millionaire managers to see what the fans on here saw ages ago then. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.