Rooney: Man Utd should have stuck with Van Gaal | He doesn't actually say this

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The guy's a self serving arrogant dick head. It's as simple as that. I couldn't give a feck if he is our record goal scorer, he scored those goals for his own benefit and his own career, they just so happened to be at our club. Couldn't be happier that this club is clear of this virus.

Gopher Brown

There were about 4 matches in 2 years where we looked good under van Gaal. Would we have beaten our average and looked good for 3 games last season?

pacifictheme

This week has been like Christmas for the part of thr fanbase who dislike him. Not going to defend him for this or drink driving, hes obviously a moron, but the joy you can see in this thread at getting to stick the boot in again is a bit sad really :lol:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Of course we would have done better the next season if LVG stayed. It is not hard to get much better than his final season. Yes we won a trophy and we finished higher than we did under Moyes but the football we played was the absolute worst. It bored me beyond belief. Another year would have been torture.

Red Stone

Is he trying to get out of his drink driving offense by appearing criminally insane?

Shark

@NotShark
It's not difficult to see why Rooney would say that. LVG treated him like royalty. Mourinho wasn't an idiot and drove him out of the club, because he could see what most people with eyes could see for years.

ottosec

Funniest thing is that he's one of the main reasons why LVG got sacked. :lol:

He missed on CL on GD because he was playing Rooney every game even if he was consistently the worst player on the pitch.

worcesterred

There were prolonged periods in LVG's second season when I had just given up and couldn't be bothered to watch United. That's what LVG will be remembered for - taking the fun out of watching United play.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
I suppose its inevitable that given the controversial figure he became, everything Rooney says and does now will get slated by a section of our fans.

I prefer to remember the special moments he gave us, his almost telepathic partnerships with CR and then the linkup play with RVP. The
tragic thing is that if ever there was an example of someone stopping too long in one place, a job, a situation where they are trying to hold on to the moment, times gone by, to their 'time in the sun', it was Wayne.

With the benefit of hindsight he should perhaps have gone with SAF!

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I highly doubt things would have got much better for United if van Gaal wasn't sacked.
Agreed. There was no indication whatsoever that we would improve under LVG. If anything, there was more evidence to suggest that we would have probably gotten even worse had he stayed. He had every chance, he bought almost an entire new team, and yet we were still woeful. Looking back, the club should have sacked him after the first year, it was really that bad. Glad he won the FA cup for us in his final season, but in terms of any improvement, it was a waste of 2 years and a shitload of money.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He'll get flack for this but at the end of the day it boils down to personal preference, some players will believe in a manager's style of play/philosophy while others won't.

He's hardly going to sing Mourinho's praises having been edged out under him.
Won't surprise me if his preference is simply down to "captain's privileges".

Oneunited26

Of course like hack papers they would twist his words, he would say if they stuck with VG it could have got better, the editor boss says (ah we got some juicy shit, lets put united should have stuck with VG it would have got better) typical rag click bate

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Rooney never once supported LVG when he was here even with all the unearned privileges he got from the man. Couldn't wait to stick the knife into him once he got sacked, and now he expects anyone to believe this? Really..:rolleyes:

In any case reading his entire comment, it sounds like he was more having a subtle dig at Jose. I really wouldn't try this with the feisty Jose if I were him..

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
No surprise that he thinks that considering he had a guaranteed starting spot forever under van Gaal and would not have had to break a sweat. Even after going to Everton so admittedly taking a step down he will be required to do much more than he was by LvG.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
As much as it saddens me to say this about a childhood hero, he's not out problem anymore whatever he says or does. Let him make comments and statements from afar in his mid table team whilst we aim for the top again.

izec

Biggest disappointment last season was him breaking the goal scoring record at United. He is a prick, cant wait til someone truly deserving breaks the record again and really loves and represents the club accordingly.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Did you expect him to come out and say "LVG should have been fired for his shambolic displays" Of course not. Media training makes these guys give out generic statements against fellow professionals.
This. People aren't thinking this through.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This forum has become tiring with its agenda against Rooney. People just want to see and hear what they want, twisting every single words coming out of the guy's mouth.

This is like the third threads about something Rooney said which has been met with outrages on these boards to then turned out he never said anything outrageous to begin with, it's just some people are quick to jump and get mad at Rooney.

It's like watching a bunch of children throwing tantrums every chance they get.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
All for a bit of Rooney bashing following his incident on Thursday

But seriously did anyone actually read the quote?

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I suppose its inevitable that given the controversial figure he became, everything Rooney says and does now will get slated by a section of our fans.

I prefer to remember the special moments he gave us, his almost telepathic partnerships with CR and then the linkup play with RVP. The
tragic thing is that if ever there was an example of someone stopping too long in one place, a job, a situation where they are trying to hold on to the moment, times gone by, to their 'time in the sun', it was Wayne.

With the benefit of hindsight he should perhaps have gone with SAF!
Let's not forget that for SAF's final season, he actually bought alternatives for both of Rooney's favored positions. RVP as the #9, Kagawa as the #10. So it could be argued that SAF had already concluded that Rooney's days at Utd were numbered. Moyes should have paid more heed as to why SAF had deemed it necessary to take such action, but he didn't, and his first act was to come in the season after and offer Rooney a new and improved contract.

Dante

Average bang
All for a bit of Rooney bashing following his incident on Thursday

But seriously did anyone actually read the quote?
Exactly. There are perfectly valid reasons for calling Rooney out. But there are certain poster with personal vendettas against him, who'll criticise him no matter what he says - and often things he doesn't say.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
feck F365 for the click bait headline. I wonder if this goes in their mediawatch article?

Nothing wrong in what he's saying.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Let's not forget that for SAF's final season, he actually bought alternatives for both of Rooney's favored positions. RVP as the #9, Kagawa as the #10. So it could be argued that SAF had already concluded that Rooney's days at Utd were numbered. Moyes should have paid more heed as to why SAF had deemed it necessary to take such action, but he didn't, and his first act was to come in the season after and offer Rooney a new and improved contract.
I always thought that decision was more a "look at me I can manage anyone" statement after the press saying the two of them were going to have a problem after Everton and the published books.

Rooney must have been laughing his head off.

Home&Away

So called counter attacking position under José with up to 60% possession in game?

LVG is almost a communist on a football pitch whilst José is capitalism; though most will know which is better; on a football pitch there has been proof of both being implemented together for great benefit.

Though LVG was never a manager to take us forward, his ideas and his observations of United as a whole has and will assist us.

José is the man to take us forward for now & I've personally been happy that he hasn't necessarily put all LVG's fine tuning of smaller details straight in to the bin - adding Jose's tactics on top to the possession and positioning football has helped us whether people would admit it or not.

The solid structure of 11 at bayern and pre-enrique Barcelona always felt like an army when facing against them; because years after LVG had gone they still held positioning and possession and could implement tactics down to a tee of the managers that came to manage them.

José has helped us progress significantly and we are starting to feel like a well tuned machine once again but I expect one day for the true beauty of this club show when we revert back to the 352- which jose has tested but cannot trust just as of yet.

Good times ahead:drool:

IRELANDUNITED

He's right, though. It would have got better. Just not good enough.
Yeah I think people are missing the point slightly, it probably would have improved from where we were under Van Gaal, but would we be as strong as we are now, no i don't think so. I think perhaps Rooney is slightly bitter Jose showed him the door

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
but he didn't, and his first act was to come in the season after and offer Rooney a new and improved contract.
Yes, exactly we've been suffering because of the that new high priced contract given to Wayne, by Moyes ever since!
To some extent Rooney became 'fireproof', no one would buy him, on his wages and given his overall form thereafter, we couldn't give him away, again because of wages he was drawing.
Jose deserves some credit for 'finding' a way out for the Club and for Rooney. However, Everton initially pleased with the deal, might change their minds over the next season?

Still despite all that and the rubbish that's going to get published from now on, Rooney gave us many splendid moments which will not be easily forgotten.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Title is missleading but why are people ignoring the quotes in the article, he is literally comparing us under van Gaal and Mourinho and implying that it was better under van Gaal. And that is as we all know for selfish reasons, because van Gaal allowed him to do everything he wanted. It's a dig at Mourinho too.

AXVnee7

Definitely a click bait headline, but I do read a subtle dig at Jose there.

After his record breaking moment, his career at United pretty much went out with a whimper. He had a small cameo in the Europa Final but otherwise he was largely forgotten. I don't think he's bitter over it, but Rooney has always been one never to accept it's him who may be the hindrance.

I've read his comments out of curiosity but I can't say I'm bothered by them. Even if he outright slams the club I just can't take him seriously anymore.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Too much shit to go through here, enjoy!

https://talksport.com/wayne-rooney
Just read this:
https://talksport.com/football/wayn...r-reveals-hed-be-england-manager-170903252856

He talks in the first part of the interview how he likes to study the game, how he likes the tactics and stuff, only to finish the interview by saying he doesn't like it actually very much, and that he preferred Fergie's style more at times where he didn't complicate things too much. :lol:

This guy is contradicting himself his entire career, I'll never forget him changing his favoruite positions on the pitch every month or so.

Paul_Scholes18

I think Mourinho did deal with Rooney very well last season. We got him out without much problem. Mourinho has also constantly praised Rooney and played with the press which makes it hard for them to put any blame on him. I am pretty sure there were some conflict between Mourinho and Rooney at some point.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I always thought that decision was more a "look at me I can manage anyone" statement after the press saying the two of them were going to have a problem after Everton and the published books.

Rooney must have been laughing his head off.
I think it's hard to dispute there must have been an element of that. I think Moyes felt if his first move as Utd manager was to oust Rooney, then the press would obviously blame their previous history, and the fans would turn quickly on him if things didn't go well. Giving Rooney a new deal was the safest option available to him at the time, and he took it.

Mourinho dealt with the situation far more astutely. Praised both Rooney and his achievements in public, but in reality, he never had any other intention than to get rid discreetly. Mourinho dealt with any potential backlashes by cleverly using the press to praise Rooney. Stopped any talk of Rooney being forced out or any suggestion of Mourinho was treating him poorly. Clever.

Giggsy92

You have to be really stretching to find anything wrong with what he's said there.