Rooney: Man Utd should have stuck with Van Gaal | He doesn't actually say this

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I listened to most of it and didn't hear him slag off Jose. He was quite warm to van Gaal, but of course he would be, he was undroppable despite his terrible performances. Also, wasn't the interview done prior to his latest scandal?
The interview is fairly dull. He thinks we we would've improved under LVG, but also that United will be 'a big success' under Jose.
Baffled that anyone has an issue with any of it tbh.

Tango80

He didn't slag off anyone really, did he?

Said good things about LVG and also said United lacked consistency last year (which we did) but he could see we were working towards something and will be great this year. That's praise, not criticism!

Jaybomb

Rooney was the reason LVG got the sack.

Van Gaal sold RVP and Chicharito, chose not to sign Falcao on a permanent and then proceeded with Rooney as the sole striker from August-January until Rashford's emergence. During that time, Rooney had THE worst period of his career performance wise. He was absolutely rubbish. Couldn't score a goal to save his life and LVG still wouldn't drop him to play somebody like Martial or Depay down the middle. His performances as a whole were uninspiring.

It was only when Rashford came on the scene did things start picking up again. We went onto win the FA Cup thanks to that.

But ultimately the reason we failed to achieve top 4 was because of that August-January period where Rooney went something like 3 months without a goal in the league. A truly abysmal record for a striker. If Van Gaal didn't sell Hernandez for missing a penalty, didn't allow Di Maria to join Paris and didn't sell Van Persie for being "too old" (despite him then signing Schweinsteiger a few weeks later), we would have probably won the title over Leicester.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'm listening to the interview now. It's like on UK radio.

https://tunein.com/radio/talkSPORT-1089-s17077/

If you've already made up your mind, don't bother.
He doesn't come close to saying what the headline states, he simply says that he believes things would have gotten better under LVG, had he stayed. Nothing disrespectful or controversial above.

He's actually very respectful and thankful to all his ex-managers and colleagues. Obviously, his very recent drink-driving charge is attracting unreserved criticism, but this interview is not another reason to beat him over the head with.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He just used united to distract his drunk driving incident.

How convenient this interview just a few days after the fiasco.

If any he got bigger things to explain to everton fans, not talking about united.
this interview was recorded 5 days before his drink-driving charge 2 days ago. it was Talk Sport's decision to air the interview today.

Tarrou

It's a bit like saying when a stock price hits rock bottom things can only get better. We were that shite.

Home&Away

Lol. Foundation. Not these again pls....

Manager are judged by what they field and how they play during his tenure, not years after.

A few extraordinary case such as cruyff at barcelona and alex ferguson at united. But even 26 years of alex ferguson wiped away in one season by the mighty david.

Different set up, different formation, different approach to the game, different player, but it's due to van gaal?
I don't know why you are bringing up judgement; didn't need yours or mine & I'm not here to change anyone's mind.

Somewhere down the line footballers have turned to robots and re-erase things that they have learnt that are deemed beneficial whenever a new manager comes in. Sounds like starting a new game on PlayStation - too bad real people are not like that mate lol.

You might have earned a degree in maths at uni; but your primary school teacher played a part in it too. United did nothing but retain possession and positioning. If you believe that the club and its players completely forgot about this little things then fair enough; each to their own. But life and football is not a video game; players learn good things to keep and forget bad things as soon as possible. If you assume that LVG was complete trash to not even help players in their individual and team ethic and capabilities; I reckon I know who might be more biased than I am.

Lol not this again..

Mr.Plow

What is he basing that on? We were on the decline under Van Gaal, the second season was much worse than the first.

Without Mourinho we wouldn't have gotten Pogba or Ibra, instead we would have got more shitty LVG signings.

Beaucoup

Rooney slated LVG's training methods to anyone that would listen around Carrington.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't know why you are bringing up judgement; didn't need yours or mine & I'm not here to change anyone's mind.

Somewhere down the line footballers have turned to robots and re-erase things that they have learnt that are deemed beneficial whenever a new manager comes in. Sounds like starting a new game on PlayStation - too bad real people are not like that mate lol.

You might have earned a degree in maths at uni; but your primary school teacher played a part in it too. United did nothing but retain possession and positioning. If you believe that the club and its players completely forgot about this little things then fair enough; each to their own. But life and football is not a video game; players learn good things to keep and forget bad things as soon as possible. If you assume that LVG was complete trash to not even help players in their individual and team ethic and capabilities; I reckon I know who might be more biased than I am.

Lol not this again..
You means it all thanks to moyes??

breakout67

Supports
Man City

Lol not this again..
Unless some of our players have had brain transplants, most of the team knows nothing about LVG's methods.

The centerbacks, midfielders, no.10 and striker never played under LVG, that's the spine of the team aka the most influential part of the team.

LVGs foundations have been destroyed and Mourinho has had to build a brand new team because the foundations were so structurally weak.

el3mel

Read the quotes. Well it was predicted he'll haul LVG because he was playing him continuously even though he was crap all the time. Nothing new here.

Rooney was a great player but his quotes are always idiotic and overall his personality can't be liked much.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There were prolonged periods in LVG's second season when I had just given up and couldn't be bothered to watch United. That's what LVG will be remembered for - taking the fun out of watching United play.
Me too, I just got to the point where I didn't even care what the result was, I just wanted the final whistle to be blown.

wr8_utd

:'(
This forum is genuinely unbelievably sad when it comes to Rooney. He's been respectful towards LvG, not really said what the headlines say but that won't stop the usual suspects coming in with glee to criticise him. There's been criticisms on this forum that he was disrespectful towards LvG post his sacking and talked crap about him and now that he actually praises him, it's still an issue :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
All this Rooney stuff is getting old. He's not even a United player anymore yet his threads still dominate this forum.

Treble

If he did not say it, then why discuss it? Change the thread title or close it. It's embarassing to criticise Rooney for things he did not say.

Robertd0803

Yeah we would have been fecking brilliant with Rooney and Schweinsteiger running round the place.
The pace in that midfield would have been frightening.

He's just said that SAF banned under-25s from owning fast sports cars :lol:
That's partly true though, all United players were given a car by Chevrolet a few years ago but Fergie wouldn't allow any under 23s (I believe) or non first teamers to be given one.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/th...layers-driving-corvettes-blog-entry-1.1626327

Odd source, first link on Google is from Daily Mail though and that's thankfully work blocked.

Schneckerl

What a clickbaity title and non-story.
Haters actually have a legitimate reason to talk bad about Rooney right now. There is no need to create stories and blow them up. Save that for a drought.

SirMattBugsby

Funniest thing is that he's one of the main reasons why LVG got sacked. :lol:

He missed on CL on GD because he was playing Rooney every game even if he was consistently the worst player on the pitch.
And LvG would have probably dropped him at the very least next season.

I guess Rooney is trying to speak well for LvG, which is fine. But in the end, both had to leave United for the same reason. Not good enough.