Rooney: Manchester United should go 'all out' for Mauricio Pochettino

AaronRedDevil

Based on the evidence of a 7 game winning run?!
The team runs itself into the ground. In every match they are exhausted in around the 65th minute. Wont take a genius to work out that. De Gea can't save us every time.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It's a really silly point. The only reason Atletico won La Liga is because Barca and Madrid were under par. The only reason Mourinho won the CL with Porto was because the competition was piss poor. The only reason Liecester won the league was because the league was poor. Etc etc The same logic would apply if we're using your logic for spurs and their progress/top 4 finishes.

Spurs spend less than their top 4 rivals. If they're finishing in the top 4 it is praise worthy. The bare minimum for them would be a lot less. As opposed to us achieving top 4 under LVG and Mourinho which was actually the bare minimum.
Athletico Madrid won their league with 90 points while Real and Barca got 87 . Calling them underpar is ridiculous. Spurs has never come close to doing anything close to what Porto, Athletico Madrid has done.

Funny you mention Leicester, considering how Spurs best season under Poch would be finishing 3rd in a 2 horse title race to a club with a much smaller budget . Spurs aren't finishing in the top 4 without at least 2 of the top clubs fecking up their season which has happened multiple times over the last 5 years and that has nothing to do with Poch at all.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The team runs itself into the ground. In every match they are exhausted in around the 65th minute. Wont take a genius to work out that. De Gea can't save us every time.
Fitness is fixed in the preseason, you can't get the players to improve their fitness much during the actual season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Athletico Madrid won their league with 90 points while Real and Barca got 87 . Calling them underpar is ridiculous. Spurs has never come close to doing anything close to what Porto, Athletico Madrid has done.

Funny you mention Leicester, considering how Spurs best season under Poch would be finishing 3rd in a 2 horse title race to a club with a much smaller budget . Spurs aren't finishing in the top 4 without at least 2 of the top clubs fecking up their season which has happened multiple times over the last 5 years and that has nothing to do with Poch at all.
The points tally to win the league that season was lower than Pelligeini's Real Madrid side which came second. You're making a terrible point to discredit Pochettino. He's done an excellent job there. For Spurs to finish in the top 4, or any lesser club to over achieve requires a bigger club or few to underperform. You keep repeating something that is known to everyone and doesn't prove anything other than your dislike for Pochettino.

Spurs fans are delighted with his peformance which tells you a lot about how well he's done in the context of the football club, their resources and expectations. You seemingly don't care for any of that while coming to your linear conclusions. Then again, you'd rather champion Mourinho who United fans were disappointed by so I wouldn't expect you to get the concept of context and expectations Vs performance.

The one let down from him has been FA cup and League cup.

Melville Red

Fitness is fixed in the preseason, you can't get the players to improve their fitness much during the actual season.
If they are that unfit that after 70 minutes they are knackered then I suggest an extra hour tagged on to the end of the training doing some bleep tests and other forms of fitness training. I’m sure this won’t hurt and might just might benefit the poor under paid souls.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If he said we should absolutely forget about Poch and Ole all the way, he would get slated by some for backing his old teammate and being biased.

He even says give Ole a chance which is a clear indication to see how he will do until the end of the season and should be put into consideration.

Nothing controversial here, he seemed like trying to be objective if anything. I'm pretty sure if this team continue to impress he would reconsider his stance.

Revan

Assumptionman
No? Who else?
I've been against Poch since he started getting linked with us, and there are other people who don't like him too (check his threads). Feel that it has been more a push from various pundits and fans following them, same as it happened with Moyes (who once finished second or third in a Caf poll).

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I've been against Poch since he started getting linked with us, and there are other people who don't like him too (check his threads). Feel that it has been more a push from various pundits and fans following them, same as it happened with Moyes (who once finished second or third in a Caf poll).
Whilst there are some that might have certain reservations about him, I doubt there are many united fans that would be downright pissed off if he became manager.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hardly the same thing. I've like him since his Southampton days and he has done a great job at Spurs with limited resources.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hardly the same thing. I've like him since his Southampton days and he has done a great job at Spurs with limited resources.
His biggest achievement is finishing third in a two horse race behind the mighty Leicester (with double digits difference in points), and that is somehow considered a great job.
Whilst there are some that might have certain reservations about him, I doubt there are many united fans that would be downright pissed off if he became manager.
There is a narrative pushing for him to get the job, so now a lot of people will make all sorts of mental gymnastics to convince themselves that he is a great manager. The same thing happened with Moyes here where people with a straight face were claiming that he is a great manager and will do great for us.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
There is a narrative pushing for him to get the job, so now a lot of people will make all sorts of mental gymnastics to convince themselves that he is a great manager. The same thing happened with Moyes here where people with a straight face were claiming that he is a great manager and will do great for us.
Sorry but I don’t think you’re correct. I’m sure a lot of people, myself included, have rated him and seen him as a potential United manager for years. The idea that he’s only become a popular choice in the last few months as some sort of media-driven agenda is rubbish.

youmeletsfly

People should be happy that the actual favorites to get the job are Ole and Poch, two very good choices.

You can sleep better when knowing that the board won't come up with a random idiot like the last 3.

red4ever 79

Fully agree with Rooney. Number 1 choice has to be Poch. If we can get him and a DOF in place I am already looking forward to next season

Dante

Average bang
When you hire Ole, you don't just get Ole. You also get Fergie and Phelan. It's a package deal.

Ole's the face, Phelan's the brains, Fergie's the reference library.

Pochettino can't give you that.

United are a unique club in a unique position. There are very clear differences between us and Real, Barca, Juve, PSG, Bayern, Liverpool and City - both in terms of our current club culture and in the way we project our image onto the rest of the sporting world.

Jose is a footballing genius and ultimately failed because he couldn't adapt to that uniqueness. Betting the house on Pochettino would be a mistake when we've already chanced upon a formula to make it work. It would be folly to throw that away lightly.

We missed our chance once by not hiring Giggs. Let's not do it again when we have proof it's the right solution.

gajender

When you hire Ole, you don't just get Ole. You also get Fergie and Phelan. It's a package deal.

Ole's the face, Phelan's the brains, Fergie's the reference library.

Pochettino can't give you that.

United are a unique club in a unique position. There are very clear differences between us and Real, Barca, Juve, PSG, Bayern, Liverpool and City - both in terms of our current club culture and the way we project our image onto the rest of the sporting world.

Jose is a footballing genius and ultimately failed because he couldn't adapt to that uniqueness. Betting the house on Pochettino would be a mistake when we've already chanced upon a formula to make it work. It would be folly to throw that away lightly.

We missed our chance once by not hiring Giggs. Let's not do it again when we have proof it's the right solution.
Ole has done wonderful job so far it's disrespectful to him when you reduce him to just the face ,may be he is solution may be he is not but so far so good if we finish third along with deep run in Champions league and Fa cup it would be hard not to give him job full time why fix something which aren't broken .

Dante

Average bang
Ole has done wonderful job so far it's disrespectful to him when you reduce him to just the face ,may be he is solution may be he is not but so far so good if we finish third along with deep run in Champions league and Fa cup it would be hard not to give him job full time why fix something which aren't broken .
We could play this game ad infinitum: it's disresptectful to ignore the work that Carrick, McKenna and Phelan are doing behind the scenes.

Relax. It's just a digestible bit of rhetoric.

LordNinio

That's just being subtle. We all know ole would probably say yes to the job if indeed it's offered on him.

Unless you have a different definition of going all out

No I don't, I just think he's saying that as it stands he'd give it to Solskjaer. If that doesn't work out, for whatever reason, such as his record between now and the end of the season being poor, then he'd go for Pochetino.

He's basically saying if Ole doesn't stay, then for him, there is only one alternative, and that is Poch, and in that scenario we should do everything we can to get him.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Poch never won anything. I don't want Poch
I know, let’s go all out for managers who win things: Jose Mourinho, LVG for example.

Failing that there is always Ancelotti, Mancini, Conte, Wenger. Let the criteria be, they have to have won titles. :rolleyes:

Kapardin

I wish he just shut up and not undermine Ole.
I don't think he means to undermine Ole, nor do I think Ole will take it badly. Let's be real, as of now, Ole is not guaranteed the permanent job and is merely the caretaker manager. Until he proves himself, he should be used to such comments from pundits or former players.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Nah if Poch is available we have to go for him. He plays attacking, intense, direct football. He gives youth a chance. He’s adaptable and overall just an excellent manager. I don’t care if he’s not won anything - it’s Spurs. We’re different.

However, if we get Poch we need to stick with him. Even if it’s going tits up, he’s clearly got what it takes but might need to adapt. I think he could stay for 15 years and win everything with us.

I wouldn’t be upset if we stuck with Ole though. I just think we can’t miss out on a manager like Poch and let him go elsewhere.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I dont see any reason Poch should be over Ole as we saw he didn't make any move to draw or win the game vs us , it was a very serious task for Ole to prove himself and he did , no matter DDG was MOTM , this is no coincidence
Poch's tactics were spot on that game. So were Ole's. It was just Ole's day and not his (our players played better)

Moriarty

Wasn't Fergie pushing for Poch back in 2016 after LVG was given the elbow?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thank goodness we made the call to bin Jose when we did.

If we'd done it in March/April, then we wouldn't know if this Ole run is going to last as the season would finish.

He can't blag 6months, so if we're still doing well, it's on him, and not just new manager magic or the like

crossy1686

career ending
Yeah, no thanks Wayne. We don’t need a professional bottle job who’s never won anything or been close to competing for major honours. We’ve tried this outside manager nonsense, let’s just stick with someone that knows the club and knows what they’re doing.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah, no thanks Wayne. We don’t need a professional bottle job who’s never won anything or been close to competing for major honours. We’ve tried this outside manager nonsense, let’s just stick with someone that knows the club and knows what they’re doing.
So Poch doesn't know what he's doing?

Also, Junade Ramos won something at Spurs. Does that make him a better manager than Poch?

crossy1686

career ending
So Poch doesn't know what he's doing?

Also, Junade Ramos won something at Spurs. Does that make him a better manager than Poch?
Technically yeah, Pochettino has a much better side for a start but that’s not hard when you get handed a 30+ goal a season striker is it? One final in 4 seasons and never challenged for a title despite being a ‘great’ manager.

Melville Red

So have I. It will be interesting to see how the all conquering Poch will get on in the next month or so with Kane injured and Son on international duty.
If Olle proves not to be the one then I would at least like to see someone who has actually won a trophy or two.
After all even Jose who this season imploded managed to win two trophies for us in his short time here.
I just hope Olle does prove to be the one.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Technically yeah, Pochettino has a much better side for a start but that’s not hard when you get handed a 30+ goal a season striker is it? One final in 4 seasons and never challenged for a title despite being a ‘great’ manager.

Pochettino was never handed a 30 goal a season striker. Kane did break through under Sherwood with 19 goals and Poch maximised the best out of him (he scored 31 goals in Poch's debut followed by 28, 35, 41). Moreover Poch has built the key cogs in this side by bringing in the likes of Delli Ali, Trippier, Alderweirald, Wanyama etc. He also went on to improve on the output of Eriksen & other players who were brought in to replace Bale and flattered to deceive.

His net spend is nothing compared to City United or Liverpool. The expectation on him to win leagues is ludicrous and shouldn't be a barometer of how good a manager he is. Sure the lack of a Carling or FA Cup is a dot on his record but its a pretty small dot all things considered.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pochs is the superior manager at the moment. However he's not what United needs at the moment. We need a replacement to SAF which means he needs to be a top scout, a top head coach whose superb in both man management AND tactics, a person whose top notch in spotting and developing young talent and whose influence can allow us to buy/sell players easily. Pochs can't do that, same as Ole.

So instead of spending 50m for a man who'll be out of depth at United (in the current setup) and would probably feck to Madrid at his first opportunity then why not invest that in the infrastructure? Lets bring in the best DOF, the best technical director, the best head of recruitment and for heaven sake lets get SAF back in a consultant/member of the board role. In such circumstances we can bring in a young manager, who understand the club, whose more then decent in man management skills, whose tactics and ideas makes sense and whose got the attitude to listen and learn from the best. Ole ticks all the right boxes.

If we're able to get Zorc as DOF, Berta as sporting director and Mitchell as head of recruitment then the manager's role would become that of a head coach. This would benefit

a- Woodward who can then focus on what he does best ie making money
b- Ole, who'll have the best people around him to help him grow career wise
c- Manchester United who'll finally have expert people in their role + a young manager, on a low salary, who understand the club and would give his outmost in a time of upheaval. If he does well, then we've got our long term manager. If not, then we can easily sack him and bring someone else, hopefully at a time when the big guns had settled down and can choose wisely their next move.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Pochettino was never handed a 30 goal a season striker. Kane did break through under Sherwood with 19 goals and Poch maximised the best out of him (he scored 31 goals in Poch's debut followed by 28, 35, 41). Moreover Poch has built the key cogs in this side by bringing in the likes of Delli Ali, Trippier, Alderweirald, Wanyama etc. He also went on to improve on the output of Eriksen & other players who were brought in to replace Bale and flattered to deceive.

His net spend is nothing compared to City United or Liverpool. The expectation on him to win leagues is ludicrous and shouldn't be a barometer of how good a manager he is. Sure the lack of a Carling or FA Cup is a dot on his record but its a pretty small dot all things considered.
Kane was thrown in by Sherwood and hit the ground running. Once it became apparent they had a talented striker on their books Levy was never going to splash out for another failed forward like Soldado, whom they paid a reasonable amount for and got hardly anything back on. Same applies for all those transfer you mentioned. It's hard to have a choice in who you sign when your chairman won't go big and has built a back room staff that look for these young talents and sign them when they're cheap. I'm 100% sure that if Pochettino had his way, he'd have spent similar to Pep, Klopp and Mourinho. This view that he gives youth a chance is a myth, it's impossible not to give youth a chance when that's all your chairman is willing to buy.

Again, Pochettino's spending is down to Levy, no one else. Spurs are effectively Newcastle from the 90's and Pochettino is Kevin Keegan.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Kane was thrown in by Sherwood and hit the ground running. Once it became apparent they had a talented striker on their books Levy was never going to splash out for another failed forward like Soldado, whom they paid a reasonable amount for and got hardly anything back on. Same applies for all those transfer you mentioned. It's hard to have a choice in who you sign when your chairman won't go big and has built a back room staff that look for these young talents and sign them when they're cheap. I'm 100% sure that if Pochettino had his way, he'd have spent similar to Pep, Klopp and Mourinho. This view that he gives youth a chance is a myth, it's impossible not to give youth a chance when that's all your chairman is willing to buy.

Again, Pochettino's spending is down to Levy, no one else. Spurs are effectively Newcastle from the 90's and Pochettino is Kevin Keegan.
OK, so everything Poch has bought has nothing to do with him. His ability to integrate the new talent into an efficient machine that is capable of going toe to toe with the rest of the league, consistently in top 4 or top 3 is also all down to Levy. If he wins a cup we may as well put that down to Levy in all.

Jesus.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
OK, so everything Poch has bought has nothing to do with him. His ability to integrate the new talent into an efficient machine that is capable of going toe to toe with the rest of the league, consistently in top 4 or top 3 is also all down to Levy. If he wins a cup we may as well put that down to Levy in all.

Jesus.
Pochs had been magnificent in the last 2 jobs. To be able to build such great sides with so little resources is not easy. However he also had and still have some great people around him. Mitchell for example is pure gold. I am sure that Ole can do the same if the right people are hired.

So instead of spending 50m on a manager who would probably want to move to Madrid in the future lets instead bank everything to build the same infrastructure Moyes/LVG/Mou had complained about and which was instrumental for Pochs to become what he is now in the first place.

crossy1686

career ending

Jesus.
Creativity is born out of necessity.

He hasn't though has he? They're regularly beaten by the top 4 and you take Kane out of that team and it's hard to see where the goals will come from. If he wins a cup it will be impressive because he's operating on a smaller budget than the rest of the top teams, making him a good manager. He will have also had to do that while being shackled by his chairman.

Pochettino plays attacking football and is a bit tactic savvy but Solskjaer, who some here think isn't up to the job, outwitted him for over 60 minutes at home the other week before he had any idea how to get back into the game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Creativity is born out of necessity.

He hasn't though has he? They're regularly beaten by the top 4 and you take Kane out of that team and it's hard to see where the goals will come from. If he wins a cup it will be impressive because he's operating on a smaller budget than the rest of the top teams, making him a good manager. He will have also had to do that while being shackled by his chairman.

Pochettino plays attacking football and is a bit tactic savvy but Solskjaer, who some here think isn't up to the job, outwitted him for over 60 minutes at home the other week before he had any idea how to get back into the game.
Every sane member of the caf agrees we were fortunate to walk with all points against Spurs, so whilst I'm a fan of Ole I don't think he's suddenly superior to Poch because he won in the head to head.

Spurs don't "regularly" get beaten by the top sides, barring City or Liverpool. But I don't really expect Poch's managerial ability to be based on whether he beats sides that have spent £300m+ more than he has.

Lets face it, he hasn't had anywhere near a level playing field and still manages to keep his team broadly matching the top sides. Against City it was a narrow defeat, Liverpool they drew 2-2 and lost 2-1, they've beaten us at OT and beaten Chelsea and continue to sit 3rd with points to spare. They have no right to given how much investment other sides have made, but they are where they are in no small amount because of the managers ability to get the absolute best of his squad.