Rooney: Manchester United should go 'all out' for Mauricio Pochettino

ship50

We all are expressing our views on the next manager in almost every other thread, creating polls even. I don't think many of us have the experience of managing a club or running a successful business. So why do we give our opinion? Rooney has better qualifications to speak on the topic than most of us. It is his opnion and the club doesn't make decisions based on them. So why slate the guy here?

OGS is doing a great job without a doubt. He has brought the hope back. What needs to be seen is how this group of players react after a loss. That may well be a deciding factor on his future here. Pochettino has not won anything yet. OGS has not proven himself completely yet. The board will make the call. All we can do is to express our views and discuss. And that's what Rooney has done. Unfair to single him out.

Touseef

For all those saying they do not want poch due to lack of trophies, if he wins the carabao cup, does that change your opinion?

Is that all that's stopping him?

hocane

For all those saying they do not want poch due to lack of trophies, if he wins the carabao cup, does that change your opinion?

Yes, for me.

I agree it is a very hard task for his Spurs team to compete with the likes of Man City and Liverpool due to lack of squad depth. But his Spurs team been more that capable to win one of the cups over the years, but they haven't.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
We were lucky they finished poorly and De Gea had his best game of the season
They were also lucky we finished poorly and didn't kill the game, argument works both ways no?

That's a very simplistic and reductive way to look at it tbh.

Ekeke

They were also lucky we finished poorly and didn't kill the game, argument works both ways no?

How does it work both ways when our keeper was the man of the match and had 21 shots to deal with in the 2nd half and Spurs clearly could have finished better than they did.

Sure we might have got another goal on a better day, but Spurs could have got 3 or 4

iluvoursolskjær

How does it work both ways when our keeper was the man of the match and had 21 shots to deal with in the 2nd half and Spurs clearly could have finished better than they did.

Sure we might have got another goal on a better day, but Spurs could have got 3 or 4
Because you're conveniently ignoring situational dynamics. We put away our chances while we dominate, we're a lot more comfortable with game management. Most of the shots De Gea faced were right next to him, and they're playing at home whilst injury forced them to go all out attack. Naturally they're gonna come on to us, add the fact our players tire in the final 3rd of the game for reasons we're all aware of - do you not feel you're kind of placing unrealistic expectations on the team and manager?

Ekeke

Because you're conveniently ignoring situational dynamics. We put away our chances while we dominate, we're a lot more comfortable with game management. Most of the shots De Gea faced were right next to him, and they're playing at home whilst injury forced them to go all out attack. Naturally they're gonna come on to us, add the fact our players tire in the final 3rd of the game for reasons we're all aware of - do you not feel you're kind of placing unrealistic expectations on the team and manager?
No. We were under a lot of pressure. Spurs created a lot of shooting chances and for once Kane wasnt finishing well and neither were his teammates. De Gea still made some good saves hence he was man of the match, but the shots tended to be half an inch too close for him not to think it was a bit of a mistake if he let them in. We were lucky Spurs werent finishing well because they usually do, and De Gea had his best performance of the season when hes been a bit questionable at some points this season. Thats 2 fortunate events for us to happen at the same time and result in us getting one of our only clean sheets of the season

iluvoursolskjær

No. We were under a lot of pressure. Spurs created a lot of shooting chances and for once Kane wasnt finishing well and neither were his teammates. De Gea still made some good saves hence he was man of the match, but the shots tended to be half an inch too close for him not to think it was a bit of a mistake if he let them in. We were lucky Spurs werent finishing well because they usually do, and De Gea had his best performance of the season when hes been a bit questionable at some points this season. Thats 2 fortunate events for us to happen at the same time and result in us getting one of our only clean sheets of the season
Look, I accept Ole could have done better to tame their attacks, but I will not accept De Gea working back at his normal levels as luck. Thats ignoring the good work Ole has done to raise every player's game.

Ekeke

Look, I accept Ole could have done better to tame their attacks, but I will not accept De Gea working back at his normal levels as luck. Thats ignoring the good work Ole has done to raise every player's game.
So because Ole has done well, we cant be lucky to get a result?

iluvoursolskjær

So because Ole has done well, we cant be lucky to get a result?
That's a straw man, I didn't state nor imply that. We're discussing particular aspects of the game, let's remove this whole tintangible 'luck' thing if you want to have a serious discussion.

You love to focus on the parts we can improve on (which nobody is denying). What about when Ole had the tactics spot on in the first half? Give credit where credit is due innit rather than skewing the image to fit your narrative.

Ekeke

That's a straw man, I didn't state nor imply that. We're discussing particular aspects of the game, let's remove this whole tintangible 'luck' thing if you want to have a serious discussion.

You love to focus on the parts we can improve on (which nobody is denying). What about when Ole had the tactics spot on in the first half? Give credit where credit is due innit rather than skewing the image to fit your narrative.
Yes we were on top for the first half and took our 1 good chance well with Rashford.

On the 2nd half we had our backs against the wall and Spurs had lots of chances. They didnt take their chances

Touseef

And yet there are people who have agreed that this is what it'll take for them.

But I'm curious to know what your elaborate explanation would be

red thru&thru

Still not heard a convincing argument of what everyone thinks he can do better at United. Having money to spend is usually the reasoning, but he has one of the best strikers in the world, a fantastic midfielder in Eriksen, a CB who we've been after and still probably would be if it wasn't for age, and some fullbacks that actually contribute, not to mention Son and Alli who aren't exactly slouches, especially the former. Our star striker is terrible (hopefully Rashford continues in his excellent form but who knows?), Pogba is better than Eriksen but not by much, we have 1/4 of a wing in Martial, and our defence is dire.

Not that I don't want him and not to say he won't be great. I'm just not as convinced as some of what's so good about him and why people think he could work wonders with us. Unless we think he'll be given enough money to solve every single issue as soon as possible.
You might have answered your own question...all those players you have mentioned, have become really good under Poch. He has took them to the next level. Theu were top potential talent and he’s turned them in to the real deal.

This season, more than ever, has proved why Poch is a top coach. With now new additions and all the politics going on in the background, he’s managed to motivate the same group of players again. Whilst doing that, he’s introduced some more youngsters into the sqaud and has improved Sissoko’s performances from last year, not easy.

No one can argue Ole’s effect on the team. Heck, not just Ole, it’s all the guys with him who have made a difference. The only reservation I have with Ole is, he’s not been able to prove it on the biggest stage, long enough. If you choose Ole, it’s with the heart. If you choose Poch, it’s with your head...you have to go with your head when making such decisions, imo.

EwanI Ted

Still not heard a convincing argument of what everyone thinks he can do better at United. Having money to spend is usually the reasoning, but he has one of the best strikers in the world, a fantastic midfielder in Eriksen, a CB who we've been after and still probably would be if it wasn't for age, and some fullbacks that actually contribute, not to mention Son and Alli who aren't exactly slouches, especially the former. Our star striker is terrible (hopefully Rashford continues in his excellent form but who knows?), Pogba is better than Eriksen but not by much, we have 1/4 of a wing in Martial, and our defence is dire.

Not that I don't want him and not to say he won't be great. I'm just not as convinced as some of what's so good about him and why people think he could work wonders with us. Unless we think he'll be given enough money to solve every single issue as soon as possible.
The issue about money is that he's more or less matched our squad's performance level over the last four years, despite having half the wages and a third the transfer fees available. We've spent about £400M more on transfers and we spend double on wages. Give Pochettino that kind of money to improve the squad over four years and its not hard to believe he might have taken that final step to being Champions.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Does anyone have any actual advice as how how they would have managed the Tottenham game differently from a defensive standpoint, since that seems to be the main argument why Poch is a better candidate for the job than Ole.

For simplicitys sake, let's only discuss the second half, since we dominated large parts of the first half, and could have scored more goals both in first and start of 2nd.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Does anyone have any actual advice as how how they would have managed the Tottenham game differently from a defensive standpoint, since that seems to be the main argument why Poch is a better candidate for the job than Ole.

For simplicitys sake, let's only discuss the second half, since we dominated large parts of the first half, and could have scored more goals both in first and start of 2nd.

OleTheGreat

We now have a manager who has won 7 in 7. Not taking anything away from Sir Matt, he played 2 difficult fixtures in those 4 games which i think included the 2 big London clubs but i still believe Ole has done an exceptional job bring this team back on track. What i specially like about United now is not actually their game play yet but they push themselves a lot to go forward. They try and push the opponents backward towards their own goal. It definitely more work and he has to instill some never die attitude on them. Even Pogba who had a lot of support in the France team and his ex-Juve team will have to work hard on and off the boy to give us an advantage.

We need to be a lot more tidy on the ball in situations when there is pressure on us. We tend to take it too easy and we still do not have the qualities to break a team that parks the bus on us, what something we have been the same for quite sometime. Need to change our approach and i think we can do it under Ole.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Camilo

I totally agree with old Wayne. He's still a relatively young manager with a lot to prove, but he's shown more than enough for me to think he'd do a cracking job here.

Ole has to make a statement in the Champions League this year to be in the discussion. Winning games with no expectations is one thing, but going toe to toe with the big boys is where we'll really see what he's made of .

StrettyEnder07

As long as it is either Poch or Ole I'm happy either way. Seen today they are looking at Poch, Simone or Zidane. If that is true, I don't want either of the last two, Poch due to his man-management, improvement of players, attacking football and basically the job he has done at Spurs.

Or Ole with Phelan, McKenna & Carrick alongside him to carry on as he is going, tactically he showed against Spurs away that he can spring a surprise and his tactics caused Spurs all kind of problems until we ran out of steam second half.

Plus, anyone slagging off Wazza for having an opinion is an absolute melt.

Aarron Swift

The way it’s going I could quite easily see why the board would rather hire Ole full-time over paying £40-50m for Poch, depends how the remaining 4 months of season goes but players & fans are in much better spirits & style has improved.

Woodward does however have a fetish for big names so wouldn’t be surprised if he’d rather Poch over Ole regardless of how well Ole does

Peter Brewer

Ole' Cardiff outsmarted Poch in 2014 when he met Southampton coached by Poch at that time. Clean sheet 0-1 victory by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer back then also.

Steerpike

As long as it is either Poch or Ole I'm happy either way. Seen today they are looking at Poch, Simone or Zidane. If that is true, I don't want either of the last two, Poch due to his man-management, improvement of players, attacking football and basically the job he has done at Spurs.

Or Ole with Phelan, McKenna & Carrick alongside him to carry on as he is going, tactically he showed against Spurs away that he can spring a surprise and his tactics caused Spurs all kind of problems until we ran out of steam second half.

Plus, anyone slagging off Wazza for having an opinion is an absolute melt.
Yes, I agree that both would be good options.

Poch would be a good choice, though I'd be concerned about all the conditions that may be attached, and the probability of losing a good number of the current coaching staff as Poch brought in his own team.

I think we know that Ole would take the job if it was offered, and a compensation figure has already been agreed with Molde in case that happens. I don't know what the situation would be with Mike Phelan who is also Sporting Director with an Australian club, Central Coast Mariners. I guess that the role at United would be too good for him to turn down, but it isn't certain.

crossy1686

career ending

Yep. At the moment I'm all for Solskjaer unless it goes tits up in the following months. If it does then Pochettino is the only obvious other candidate but his lack of trophies is a huge concern for me. If he picked up a league cup I'd be all in.

crossy1686

career ending
The way it’s going I could quite easily see why the board would rather hire Ole full-time over paying £40-50m for Poch, depends how the remaining 4 months of season goes but players & fans are in much better spirits & style has improved.

Woodward does however have a fetish for big names so wouldn’t be surprised if he’d rather Poch over Ole regardless of how well Ole does
Woodwards fetish for holywood signings doesn't outweigh his love for making a deal. At this rate £8m Solskjaer looks like a way better deal than £40m Pochettino

StrettyEnder07

Yes, I agree that both would be good options.

Poch would be a good choice, though I'd be concerned about all the conditions that may be attached, and the probability of losing a good number of the current coaching staff as Poch brought in his own team.

I think we know that Ole would take the job if it was offered, and a compensation figure has already been agreed with Molde in case that happens. I don't know what the situation would be with Mike Phelan who is also Sporting Director with an Australian club, Central Coast Mariners. I guess that the role at United would be too good for him to turn down, but it isn't certain.
Yeah mate agree, you would think they could sort something out for Phelan to return if it was offered to him, as you say, would be happy either way regarding Poch or Ole. It's either a top top Premier League proven manager in Poch who would have a burning desire to win as many trophies as possible, seeing as he hasn't won anything yet.

Then you have Ole, who unless you're a miserable negative person, everyone loves and at the minute most fans are just enjoying the ride and loving that it feels like Man United again.

Either of them pair Woodward and you should be on side with fans, Zidane or Simeone I think he could have issues.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You might have answered your own question...all those players you have mentioned, have become really good under Poch. He has took them to the next level. Theu were top potential talent and he’s turned them in to the real deal.

This season, more than ever, has proved why Poch is a top coach. With now new additions and all the politics going on in the background, he’s managed to motivate the same group of players again. Whilst doing that, he’s introduced some more youngsters into the sqaud and has improved Sissoko’s performances from last year, not easy.

No one can argue Ole’s effect on the team. Heck, not just Ole, it’s all the guys with him who have made a difference. The only reservation I have with Ole is, he’s not been able to prove it on the biggest stage, long enough. If you choose Ole, it’s with the heart. If you choose Poch, it’s with your head...you have to go with your head when making such decisions, imo.
You could be right. Hopefully so. Just concerns me that he now has players worth way more if they were to be sold and in wages, but he can't do more with them. He does seem the safest bet though and may well be able to take us up a level.

andycolegangstainnit

Woodwards fetish for holywood signings doesn't outweigh his love for making a deal. At this rate £8m Solskjaer looks like a way better deal than £40m Pochettino
First thing is to get a DOF in - hopefully EVDS. Then wait and assess at the end of Feb. You can't expect Ole to win every game but if we continue this form then i agree with crossy1686 £8m for Ole is better than £40m for Poch. Poch is not the messiah - he hasn't won anything yet. His Spurs team should've won it when Leicester did but bottled it, furthermore he made a mess in the UCL against Juve. If Poch had Pep's record (or Jose before us) that would be a different matter.

AgentP

I'm still 60-40 in favor of Poch over Ole but he's slowly winning me over. If Ole can keep the form going for the rest of the season while also tying down DDG, Martial and Pogba to long term contracts, then I'll be fully convinced.

FrenchRed

I’m all in for Ole, and his coaching team. They’ve done a great job on all levels.

I’d hate to see another round of upheaval through the club at this point.

andycolegangstainnit

I’m all in for Ole, and his coaching team. They’ve done a great job on all levels.

I’d hate to see another round of upheaval through the club at this point.
Yes we absolutely don't need another Moyes situation. Ole, Phelan, CArrick & Mckenna are a good young (apart from Phelan) team

StrettyEnder07

Um...no it doesn't. They had a shite ton of chances and we had very few. Switch keepers in that game and it's 3-0 for Tottenham.
What's with all the Ole hating anyway? Bloke has been quality since he has come in, what more are you wanting?

Spurs had a shed load of chances, you say we had hardly anything, 8 shots on target away from home against a top 3 side, terrible that!

How many times under Fergie did we go to say Anfield, backs to the wall, rode our luck, snatched a 1-0 win, arguing over the fact they had a few chances, who gives a sh*t, won the game, enjoy it jesus.

Ole gets the job, back him and hopefully he does well, if Poch gets it then back him and hopefully he does well.

This forum haha

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Um...no it doesn't. They had a shite ton of chances and we had very few. Switch keepers in that game and it's 3-0 for Tottenham.
That doesn't sound right at all. We had like 3 pretty big chances to score before they had any big ones. Lloris had a good game as well.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Hilarious seeing some people doubting Poch credential while at the same time vouching for Ole. Poch is twice the manager Ole is. Sure it's been good so far but only naivety and knee jerk decision making would make the club give up on their long term first choice in Poch to go for Ole.

Managing teams with expectation is an entire different ball game to managing a team without any expectation. Ole is operating under the idea that he simply has to bring smiles to the faces and play attacking football, not much expectations put on him. Pochettino is an established an proven top manager who has managed to take a ream like Tottenham and make them a top team and regular top 4 with hardly any resources especially compared to the teams he's competing with.

You don't just blow a chance to get Poch for what so far seems to be a flavor of the month. Any chance to get Poch we should take it, no doubt about it.

ReddBalls

Ole is operating under the idea that he simply has to bring smiles to the faces and play attacking football, not much expectations put on him.
Yeah, Ole obviously don't know anything about what the club stands for and what's expected of you as a player or a manager :houllier: