"Rooney not playing to his maximum"

Scholesy

This is what is being said.

Last season his touch often let him down and as I have said before, it was goals that hid all weaknesses. A smooth pitch helps his touch alot, and also Valencia or Nani putting chances on a plate for him.

The Rooney we are watching this world cup is not really different to the Manchester United one.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You seem to not quite get the importance of goals.

You know, it's actually more important than technique. Shocking I know.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
His role for England which he did well today is completely different to one he plays for England.

I don't actually think his touch is that bad, his movement however is world class which enables Nani and Valencia to put the ball on a plate for him.

AttackingFlair

His touch was inconsistent at the start of the season but it improved greatly towards the end. The way he's playing is similar to when he came back from injury for us. It isn't the goal scoring machine before he got injured.

MUFC07

Rooney has bad touch? This surely has got to be a wind-up. Have you ever looked at those long balls he throws? Just for a example from the top of my head, watch our first goal vs City in the CC Semi final second leg. Shocking pass to Giggs.

(EDIT: Or by touch you mean something else than passing and throwing long balls? In that case, my bad)

He hasn't been playing as well as he has been for us. Not that he has been properly fed though, England can barely think when they get to the last 3/4 of the pitch. He had one today, was unlucky and hit the post.

Brophs

The One and Only
How many did he miscontrol into the net last season? Mid-thirties or so?

Long may it continue.

AttackingFlair

Today was a last season Rooney performance without a goal.
Depends which one you want to pick out. He had a fantastic game against Aston Villa when we were down to ten men.

Good touch when he was through and hit the post..

The Rooney we are watching this world cup is not really different to the Manchester United one.
There are many Man Utd and England fans who would say that you are wrong. Rooney played much better than this during last season. Even without his goals he still looked much sharper, especially in and around the box. There was desire, speed and at least some fight. Right now he is clearly hasnt performed yet.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
No top player has played to their potential in this tournament.

The ball just won't stick.

MacMUFC

Scholesy has a point, in regards to Rooney's touch lately. With that i'd agree, but thats about it.

Minkaro

He hasn't quite looked right yet this World Cup, and I think the talk about him maybe having a virus might have some weight behind it. Today's game was a marked improvement though, so hopefully this knock he picked up won't effect him too badly, and we'll see him in the next round back to full fitness, and full form.

MacMUFC

Scholesy never has a point - he's just a pointless wind-up.
Would you not agree that Rooney's touch has been relatively poor in the last year though? I dont know, everything just seemed sharper in his earlier years.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Rooneys touch can definately be hit or miss at times. When its good, its sublime but he does have plenty of games when its poor. Currently, i'd put it down to still not getting his full sharpness and confidence back since his injury. But today i thought it was much better.

Force of Nature

His touch was ropey in at the start of the season, not as bad as it was for most of the WC though. But his all round game improved dramatically by the second half of the season, balls were being knocked up to him and you had no worries that he would be able to trap it and either hold up play or turn his man. It was fantastic to watch.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
He still doesn't look right to me, came off today, with what looks like a niggle in the same ankle that got injured earlier in the season.

When he plays for United he chases back, tackles back and looks full of energy, but so far he seems well short of the Rooney we are used to seeing.

Maybe he has been carrying that ankle injury for a while, without owning up to it.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Last season his touch often let him down and as I have said before, it was goals that hid all weaknesses. A smooth pitch helps his touch alot, and also Valencia or Nani putting chances on a plate for him.
This is true. Well, for the first half of the season anyway. You're failing to acknowledge that his touch and overall form improved significantly in the second half of the season (up till he got injured).

It's not just his touch and form that's off for England, he also doesn't seem to have the energy and hunger that he always has for Utd, even when his form is off. Although he did play much better in the second half of the match today (hmm, maybe he's just a second half kind of guy).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
MadDogg, are you related to Burndogg?
Yes. Once upon a time we were young pups in Argentina, when some stupid, ugly kid tipped a pot of boiling water over himself. Stupid bloody Carlitos. Poor old Bernard (as he was called back as) was standing beside the kid at the time, and has ever since been known as Burndogg because of the hideous scars over his face and neck.

The sight of the two of them standing there howling and crying was quite disturbing, and I have since spent the rest of my days at a hidden asylum. Hence my name.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Today was a last season Rooney performance without a goal.
If you mean the pre-Christmas Rooney then I'd understand your point - but I thought he found his touch again in the second half of the season (prior to the injury). In any case, I thiught there were 10 minutes today when he looked like a great player again and to ignore that is just as blinkered as pretending that he has the consistency to be compared to a Messi or a Ronaldo,

honcho

hes definatley struggling...I think perphaps the altitude does not suit him....he looks knackered to me.............

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
This is what is being said.

I think we're speaking the same language

Tibs

Fergie rang him and told him to save himself for United

Eirik Raude

He looked much better today. Not nearly as good as he can be, but he's onto something. Quite good performance all in all, only lacking a goal, which the goalkeeper denied him with a fantastic save.

Crerand Legend

He is not in top form but like he does for us after coming back from injury with every game he will improve, fancy him to have a blinder against the German's

Amir

He became less of an all around player for us and more of a 18-yard-box scorer. It's not the same Wayne Rooney of Euro 2004. He plays less with his heart and more with his head, he's become more of a finisher. It suits us, it doesn't suit England quite as much, especially when the team is not playing well and doesn't create chance for Rooney. He's not at his best, but there's more to it than that.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He became less of an all around player for us and more of a 18-yard-box scorer. It's not the same Wayne Rooney of Euro 2004. He plays less with his heart and more with his head, he's become more of a finisher. It suits us, it doesn't suit England quite as much, especially when the team is not playing well and doesn't create chance for Rooney. He's not at his best, but there's more to it than that.
Pretty much spot on, btw anyone worried about the effects of this ankle injury for next season... hope its not a recurring injury that can't be cured with a prolonged rest.