"Rooney not playing to his maximum"

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
But but I thought this withdrawn striker was Rooney's best position *sarcastic mode off*
I still think an on form Rooney behind a Torres, would be his ideal position.

In front of a good midfield as well obviously.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I blame Fergie for playing Rooney when he was clearly injured.

Actually I blame Berbatov for being unrealiable and forcing Fergie to play an injured Rooney.

Ya that's right, I'm mentioning Berbatov in a negative light in a thread about another player.

Amir

But but I thought this withdrawn striker was Rooney's best position *sarcastic mode off*
Honestly, I prefer Rooney the free spirit to Rooney the goalscorer, but obviously Fergie has decided that getting a player like that as close as possible to goal and maximizing his goal threat is the way to go. And that is the player he has become.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
He became less of an all around player for us and more of a 18-yard-box scorer. It's not the same Wayne Rooney of Euro 2004. He plays less with his heart and more with his head, he's become more of a finisher. It suits us, it doesn't suit England quite as much, especially when the team is not playing well and doesn't create chance for Rooney. He's not at his best, but there's more to it than that.
My thoughts exactly. He's more of a fox in the box now and that's where most of his goals last season's come from... chances have to be created FOR him and not BY him if he's going to score.
The problem is that people are still looking at him as the Rooney of Euro 2004 and more often than not, you'll find the media/pundits/fans using the words "Rooney" and "Magic" in one sentence when he doesn't quite have much the latter anymore. So when he doesn't dribble past someone and tries a curler or hit amazing volleys from great distance or turn a defender people are disappointed when these expectations of Rooney are actually outdated and not realistic anymore.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Eventually Rooney will play every single position on the pitch. He will impress at GK, support striker and lone striker, but will win everyone over in Scholes' position.

Have you seen any striker play cross field balls as well as Rooney? No.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
For me, Rooney hasn't even recovered since his injury before the Carling Cup Final. After that he didn't look that fit and I'm pretty sure that he still isn't fit... The Rooney we saw before that injury and the current Rooney is like a totally different player...

The Rooney that devasted Milan wasn't there yesterday... He just looked normal but he still was one of the better players on the pitch.

Thats just my observation... try rewinding and look back to probably our last 7-10 games. You'd notice a bit difference with his movement before his injury and after his injury.

dan_alex

Rooney has thrived on the delivery from the wings that Valencia and Nani have provided, hence many of the headed goals this season. England are currently playing very narrow which is an issue.

This leads to another issue, that is for England it is very congested in the positions where Rooney naturally plays his game, particularly Gerrard playing in these areas. For United, Rooney pretty much has free reign to shine in that area of the park.

IMO these issues are inhibiting Rooney's play, which is in turn knocking his confidence. I think that a goal would do him a lot of good though.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
.. Last season his touch often let him down and as I have said before, it was goals that hid all weaknesses.
Which was bullshit then and still is bullshit now.

A smooth pitch helps his touch alot, and also Valencia or Nani putting chances on a plate for him
:lol:

The Rooney we are watching this world cup is not really different to the Manchester United one.
Only in your world. No the real one.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
The Rooney we are watching this world cup is not really different to the Manchester United one.
The Rooney that was playing vs Algeria is the worst Rooney I've ever seen play a game of football, so clearly different to the Manchester United one.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Honestly, I prefer Rooney the free spirit to Rooney the goalscorer, but obviously Fergie has decided that getting a player like that as close as possible to goal and maximizing his goal threat is the way to go. And that is the player he has become.

It was actually.

I might get flamed for this, but I preferred the Rooney of 2004 to the Rooney of today.
I disagree, football is all about goals and the more Rooney scores (there the closer he is to the penalty box) the better it is.

Red Norse

This is what is being said.

Last season his touch often let him down and as I have said before, it was goals that hid all weaknesses. A smooth pitch helps his touch alot, and also Valencia or Nani putting chances on a plate for him.

Rarely has a tag line been more apt. Even if he's not at his best, did you notice a certain improvement in Rooney when the team performed better? His touch lets him down often :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Scholesy

Rarely has a tag line been more apt. Even if he's not at his best, did you notice a certain improvement in Rooney when the team performed better? His touch lets him down often :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Have you not been watching the World Cup. Everton away?

The tagline really annoys me because of this exact reason, unknown posters like you assume I am one of the worst posters here.

Red Norse

Have you not been watching the World Cup. Everton away?

The tagline really annoys me because of this exact reason, unknown posters like you assume I am one of the worst posters here.
Yeah I've been watching the WC, I've so far missed three games ;) Tag line or not, dismissing Rooney's touch doesn't come across as smart to me. If you've paid attention you'd notice his touch can be exceptional and sometimes a bit poor. It's all down to form and injuries, the entire team failed to turn up in England's two first games, trying to make a point about Rooney's touch on the back of those games is just daft. And wtf has Everton away got to do with anything? If you look closely enough I'm sure you'd find a game where Scholes has misplaced a couple of passes, but what's the point in elaborating something that's clearly an anomaly?

Scholesy

Yeah I've been watching the WC, I've so far missed three games ;) Tag line or not, dismissing Rooney's touch doesn't come across as smart to me. If you've paid attention you'd notice his touch can be exceptional and sometimes a bit poor. It's all down to form and injuries, the entire team failed to turn up in England's two first games, trying to make a point about Rooney's touch on the back of those games is just daft. And wtf has Everton away got to do with anything? If you look closely enough I'm sure you'd find a game where Scholes has misplaced a couple of passes, but what's the point in elaborating something that's clearly an anomaly?
Everton away was the best example of his touch on a bobbly pitch. Its not great and everyone needs to stop praising Rooney. He is a great striker but the constant, high praise is just annoying and somewhat unjustified - if you ignore the goals. People will say his touch improved in the 2nd half of the season. It did, and this was to do with the Old Trafford pitch being in improved condition.

Says it all really, you just post wind-up crap to get noticed as the class idiot.
Do not reply to my posts if you think they are 'wind up crap'.

Red Norse

Everton away was the best example of his touch on a bobbly pitch. Its not great and everyone needs to stop praising Rooney. He is a great striker but the constant, high praise is just annoying and somewhat unjustified - if you ignore the goals. People will say his touch improved in the 2nd half of the season. It did, and this was to do with the Old Trafford pitch being in improved condition.

Dear lord, are you serious? I don't know where to begin when it comes to praising Rooney, and it's got nothing to do with him being English! (Hint: I'm not)
How old are you? I'm asking because you must either be very young or incredibly biased against Rooney to disregard him even if we collectively somehow forgot his incredible goal tally this season.

Red Norse

You think all my posts are jokes. This is unfair.

You do not understand the meaning of opinion.
It's not brain science laddie, hold your hands up when you find you've painted yourself into a corner and please stop making sweeping incredibly stupid remarks like Rooney's touch is poor. Football is a dynamic sport, very little is set in stone.

As for the "unknown poster" remark, :lol: By your tag line I gather you've been posting a lot of sense here :smirk:

Scholesy

It's not brain science laddie, hold your hands up when you find you've painted yourself into a corner and please stop making sweeping incredibly stupid remarks like Rooney's touch is poor. Football is a dynamic sport, very little is set in stone.
Rooney's touch is not poor. It lets him down at times though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I will have to agree with Scholesy on this one lads, last year at times his touch was horrible. I'm not sure about the effects of the pitch on his touch though.

AttackingFlair

Everton away he was just off form and had a shocker. Scholesy, which strikers do you think are better than Rooney?