Rooney testimonial vs Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The match will be streamed live (from 7:15pm BST) on both Wayne Rooney’s and United’s Facebook.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...United-Everton-tickets-Foundation-launch.aspx

WAYNE ROONEY TESTIMONIAL DETAILS CONFIRMED

• Manchester United v Everton, Wednesday 3 August 2016, kick-off 20:00 BST
• Wayne Rooney's Old Trafford testimonial between his only two Premier League clubs
• United skipper launches Foundation to provide help for disadvantaged and vulnerable children
• Tickets on sale from 09:00 BST on Thursday 9 June at www.ManUtd.com/RooneyTestimonial

Wayne Rooney's testimonial match - between Manchester United and Everton at Old Trafford on 3 August (kick-off 20:00 BST) - will mark the start of a year of fundraising events by the United and England captain’s Foundation which is aiming to raise £5million for disadvantaged and vulnerable children.

The match will give fans their first chance to see Jose Mourinho's new-look United side at the Theatre of Dreams in what will be the first pre-season fixture to be played at the Reds' home ground for two years. The FA Cup – won for a record-equalling 12th time in May – will also be on display at the match.

Paying tribute to Wayne, new manager Mourinho said: "Wayne is and has been England’s best player for over a decade and this game will be a fitting tribute to everything he has achieved. I’m looking forward to what will be a very special night for us both. I’m sure the fans will make this a memorable occasion and help Wayne to raise a lot of money to help support vulnerable children."

All proceeds from the testimonial match, celebrating Wayne’s 12 remarkable years with United since his transfer as a teenager from Everton, and from all other events will be distributed through the newly-launched Wayne Rooney Foundation to four chosen charities: the NSPCC, Claire House Children's Hospice, Alder Hey Children's Hospital and the Manchester United Foundation.

Each has been selected because of Wayne’s personal commitment to the organisations and the children they help. Money raised by the Foundation will enable each charity to create legacy projects providing expert help for a generation of children faced with often overwhelming health issues, abuse and educational challenges.

Announcing details of his testimonial match and the official launch of The Wayne Rooney Foundation, which has BT as its principal partner, Wayne said: "For me, there could not be a more special testimonial match. Manchester United and Everton are the only clubs I have played for as a professional footballer. I am happy to say now that, whatever may happen in the future, I will never play for another Premier League club.

"I owe United and Everton everything for giving me my footballing opportunities. Through The Wayne Rooney Foundation I want to put something back and, at the same time, say a heartfelt thanks to everyone at these great clubs who ever helped me in my career.

"Everton and United, along with my family, gave me the support and opportunity to help me achieve my goals and dreams. Having a young family of my own makes me realise it’s vital that every child gets the opportunity to grow up surrounded by love and support to give them a chance of fulfilling their potential.

"I hope The Wayne Rooney Foundation and its charity partners can improve and inspire the lives of children disadvantaged by family breakdown, abuse, health issues or lack of educational opportunities."

The match will provide a spectacular lift-off for a testimonial year of fundraising by The Wayne Rooney Foundation. Other events to be announced later will also provide headline entertainment for sell-out crowds, as well as the opportunity to pay tribute to Wayne’s remarkable career achievements.

Tickets for the Wayne Rooney testimonial match between Manchester United and Everton on 3 August will be priced from £25 for adults and just £10 for under-16s. They will be on sale via www.manutd.com/rooneytestimonial from 09:00 BST on Thursday 9 June.

Those wishing to donate to The Wayne Rooney Foundation to help its work through its partner charities can also do so by visiting www.mydonate.bt.com/charities/waynerooneyfoundation.

For more information on The Wayne Rooney Foundation, please visit www.waynerooney.com/foundation.

Last edited:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yeah can see Everton fans loving this...

lsd

The Oracle
Not been his biggest fan but he clearly deserves his testimonial and it's a great cause too . For all his faults now recent performances huge wages transfer requests he gives his all on the pitch and of it does seem a decent guy .. Not the brightest like but decent

mu4c_20le

Is he going to play the first half as a striker, the second in midfield?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Has Carrick had one? Just had his tenth year it seems.

top1whoisman

Scout
Has Carrick had one? Just had his tenth year it seems.
Now that he’s finished his 10th season, they will probably start planning it. If he stays with United for one more year, he’ll probably get it next summer.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well done, Wayne, for donating the proceeds of the match to the charities. That's a really fantastic gesture. :)

JrRed

Well deserved testimonial. Well done with the setting up of the foundation too. Not my favourite player anymore, but he really seems to have matured a lot recently from a personal standpoint.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Fully deserved and looks like it is for a good cause too. I'm baffled at some poster here, doesn't matter if you like him or not but surely there is a place or thread where you can show your discontent/hatred towards him. This is a thread about an event where his contribution is noted and celebrated so we should post accordingly. LEGEND.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Thought he had one last year?

Nice little dig at Stevie the starfish by Mourinho in the OP as well.

pacifictheme

Fully deserved and looks like it is for a good cause too. I'm baffled at some poster here, doesn't matter if you like him or not but surely there is a place or thread where you can show your discontent/hatred towards him. This is a thread about an event where his contribution is noted and celebrated so we should post accordingly. LEGEND.
There are hundreds of them. But some people can't help themselves sadly...

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Well deserved, and the foundation is a very good initiative.

Norris

It's always difficult to find the same affection for Rooney like I have for the likes of Scholes, Carrick and the others, but no doubt, this will be a special moment for him and all the proceeds are going for a good cause as well. Lovely of him.

nick2004

When he first signed for us, I did not like him. Often rash and angry, he always seemed ready to explode on a referee and take United down with him. We already had Keane, we did not need a kid screaming on referees!

Twelve years later, he is one of my favorite players. He has matured considerably, on and off the field.

He fully deserves the testimonial. Next year, he is also going to earn the Man Utd all-time top scorer distinction. A legend for our club!

Well done Wayne!

top1whoisman

Scout
When he first signed for us, I did not like him. Often rash and angry, he always seemed ready to explode on a referee and take United down with him. We already had Keane, we did not need a kid screaming on referees!

Twelve years later, he is one of my favorite players. He has matured considerably, on and off the field.

He fully deserves the testimonial. Next year, he is also going to earn the Man Utd all-time top scorer distinction. A legend for our club!

Well done Wayne!
It’s funny that most fans feel the opposite :lol::keano:

top1whoisman

Scout
Everyone can have their opinion, we don't have to agree! :cool:
No that’s what I meant, nothing more! And to an extent I agree, but I must say that there have been moments during the past years when I’ve been screaming to see that old Rooney.

Panther

Only 4 days before the Community Shield? Surely we'd have to play a weak squad or something or bring back some of his old teammates to play in it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wonder if the Everton assholes will be able to stop themselves singing Munich songs for this?

JB7

Only 4 days before the Community Shield? Surely we'd have to play a weak squad or something or bring back some of his old teammates to play in it.
Seem to remember we played Scholes testimonial on the Friday night before we beat City in the Community Shield on the Sunday a few years back. Players are able to play twice in a few days you know. ;)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He deserves a testimonial. He's played a huge part in our success over the years, and even if he's not the player he once was, his contributions to those successes should be recognised.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Credit to him for donating the proceeds to a very worthy cause, I bet that pissed his scumbag agent off no end :lol:

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
At least it's not against Celtic, I used to get sick of us playing them all the time.
Still rather not play a Premier League side pre season, we're playing Everton and Man City. But can understand him playing Everton as they still mean so much to him.

Robertd0803

Announcing details of his testimonial match and the official launch of The Wayne Rooney Foundation, which has BT as its principal partner, Wayne said: "For me, there could not be a more special testimonial match. Manchester United and Everton are the only clubs I have played for as a professional footballer. I am happy to say now that, whatever may happen in the future, I will never play for another Premier League club.
Read this line and remembered why I don't like him. Shame he didn't say this when he was holding the club up for a new contract the first time.

On the other hand really classy gesture donating all the profits to his foundation. I know some pessimists could say he makes enough money/he won't miss it etc. but the point is he doesn't have to donate the money so fair play to him and raising awareness of the Foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.