Rooney testimonial vs Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

devips

The narrative here changes fast if the result is not to one's liking. First half was pretty fast, exciting, and antithesis of Van Gaal style. The second half was not so good admittedly.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You didn't miss much, a new member entered the house who is only a celebrity because they won the regular version of Celebrities a couple of years back. Then Katie Hopkins said something edgy so the rest of the celebrities beat her with socks filled with batteries.
Now I really regret missing it.

Canuckred64

Tedious to watch, but itbwasca pre season friendly after all. The one thing that stood out for me was that Stones looked so poor. Three mistakes that he was lucky not to pay for. Either his head is somewhere else or he just isn't that good.

Red Bug

That and the fact that we're not going to be making 11 changes every game :lol:

The midfield in the first half looked better, it was just frustration when up against Everton's 3 at the back. With the new midfield signing I'd hope that'll improve.

All the second half showed was that we do have some shite that needs flushed out of this squad.
Yep but Jose will already know that Jones, Rojo and Young are dog chod. Tonight confirmed that for him.

I think we will sign Pogba, a RB and a CB.

We will sell the players mentioned above plus maybe Fellaini.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Is Owen Hargreaves pissed? The shit legged wanker has said 'offensively' no less than a million times in his stupid accent

El-Manos

Second half was dire, it is so obvious we are lacking in the wide areas.

If i was Mourinho i would seriously look at getting someone like Mahrez.
Yup. After Pogba we need another winger and experienced centre back in all honesty.

Red Bug

Is Owen Hargreaves pissed? The shit legged wanker has said 'offensively' no less than a million times in his stupid accent
The missus asked me if I have ever heard him tell a joke or have a laugh with the commentator. I seriously had to think about it and no, I haven't. Hargreaves has NO sense of humour whatsoever.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Oir first 45 minutes was very good. We controlled the tempo and had both possession and attacking intentions. Zlatans and Rooney linked up well and when they better learn each other's movements they will create plenty of chances together.

I'm specially impressed with Luke Shaw, he will be a tremendous upgrade from last season. Bailly was rock solid and when Smalling is back I'm not worried.

Our midfield was much better then expected. Herrera slotted in well and Carrick was as cool as ever.

I really like Lingard but he must improve his end product. Whenever that happened he will be very useful. I see him as a future nr 10. Martial needs confidence, whenever he starts to score he will be fine.

I'm not worried at all. If and when Pogba arrives then this will be fine.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The missus asked me if I have ever heard him tell a joke or have a laugh with the commentator. I seriously had to think about it and no, I haven't. Hargreaves has NO sense of humour whatsoever.
Andy Townsend is exactly the same, the commentator will crack a joke and it goes completely over his head.

Dazzmondo

Well, the first half was relatively promising imo. The changes at half time ruined it though. 2nd half was very poor and boring. Fast passing of first half disappeared and nothing seemed to happen. Herrera was motm imo. Hopefully we're ready for Leicester. Musa's 2 goals against Barcelona were great. Our defence could be in for a tough test.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Bar Mkhitaryan yes it was, I just mean I hope he knows his 11 (add Smalling and hopefully Pogba) and is not chopping and changing much over the first few games of the season. He must now know that some of this squad should not even see the bench let alone first team.
I'd agree. It looks like he's settled, particularly the defence until Smalling comes back. We need more from Mkhitaryan than what he's shown so far though. Still lacking a player that can create something out of nothing on the wing.

as-95

You ever watch football or just play CM
feck off with your condescending bullshit. Don't post if you're not going to add something to the discussion.

Mahrez is a perfectly realistic addition to our right side and would likely transform our attack.

Chuckazulu

In the 1st half, I noticed how the wide forwards freely cut inside. Lingard was rarely on the left and sometimes he would swap with Martial. Ibrahimovic would drop and Rooney would take his position. The passing had pace on it and with the way the players were swapping positions, Everton got a bit disorganised. At the end of the move, Shaw had a shot which got deflected for a corner. I believe that's what we're building, that was Jose's play and it looked good and dangerous. That's the only point I saw some exciting football. The rest of the game was boring.

Devil may care

We lost momentum through midfield when Herrera and Carrick went off and struggled to regain our rhythm in the second half. Impressed with Ibra, Shaw, Ander and Lingard, overall a decent run out for the players.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What were they saying?
Just about how the team look different under Jose, what he (JM) is like behind the scenes although he didn't give much away, it was just that Rooney half turned away from Jake (not rudely, just naturally because he was talking to Rio) and it almost became a chat between two mates and much more natural than Rooney normally is on camera.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The only thing that can be taken from this game is that we could really use a lot more preseason games. If we have to go to Asia, schedule more games. We were able to do so during the US tour as well.

You can see how the entire team lacks an understanding with one another. Even simple 1-2's often don't work because the players are not on the same page at all. The start to the new campaign will be rough, but we'll be fine.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I swear to God, some of you lots need to seriously shut up and behave. Acting all pathetic all over this thread is what actually depressing about this day, not the game. You lots want to behave as if you've never seen a goalless game before whether by an attacking team or the opposite.

The clear disregard that we're actually seeing player getting into the manager tactic regardless of scores and such is really annoying. Everton were very solid defensively, we tried all our players, tempo changed after half time after subs(especially w/o Carrick in MF) etc. There is nothing to fuss about but to see this as as a preparation game and we're making steady improvements.

No one just goes around and bangs goals left and right in an extremely tactical and tight game as this one. Everton were properly set up defensively, nothing wrong with that. We're getting there, what's needed is patience. Some of you are acting as of you've never seen Barca have a goalless draw or something.

You lots are quick to come here on internet forums, moans louder and louder with disregard to what actually going on. You just want to be bloody annoying and act like a bunch of over stimulated whiny children. Absolutely annoying attitude.

Rajma

I know it's a preseason and all that, but I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say that experiment 'Ibrahimovic' not gonna work out in the prem. I presume it will be all too slow for us, constantly with no one being in the box. Even if his build up play is world class unless Jose makes him work hard when defending and making regular runs in behind it's all set up to fail for me. From my point of view, that we were lacking was a forward that would harass defenders non-stop with natural aggression to their game in the mould of Tevez, Rooney (not the one we saw for the last few years mind), Suarez these type of strikers. Also seeing Mousa today earlier on I think we could have done with player like him. However, obviously, it's all just pure speculation right now but for me negative signs are there.

NJM78

I'd agree. It looks like he's settled, particularly the defence until Smalling comes back. We need more from Mkhitaryan than what he's shown so far though. Still lacking a player that can create something out of nothing on the wing.
We definitely need more from Mkhitaryan but he still trumps Lingard for me on his worst day. I want to see him at 10 with Martial and Rashford either side of him but Rooney will start when fit for sure. I'd also love us to be for Mahrez but that seems even more unlikely than Wayne getting dropped.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Depends on what parameter you judge greatness by. Look at what these players did before or after the aforementioned achievements. If you think that this doesn't matter, we might as well pretend Valencia is a great since he was part of a double league winning team and a CL finalist. I am afraid you either have to very much widen your definition of world class or stop this nonsense about needing established names throughout the whole squad.
Abidal won 3 league titles, was included in French team of the year 3 times, was included in UEFA team of the year and was a starter in the WC final. He is definitely one of the stand-out defenders of his generation (which was poor on defenders though)

Sylar

I do think the team needed at least two more friendlies before Sundays match.
Today was a nice run out to give the players a workout / minutes but there was never gonna be rhythm to the match especially with all the subs being made. Would have liked to see the first half team (with Mkhi instead of Jesse) and to get a good 60-70 minutes together.

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
We played well in the first half and were unlucky to not be ahead.

No point discussing the second half as all the changes on both sides made it simply a run out.

I thought we were too narrow in the first half and Martial and Lingard should have stayed wider with Ibra more as a focal point.

No harm trying different things out in pre-season though.

Blind was superb.

Rajma

The narrative here changes fast if the result is not to one's liking. First half was pretty fast, exciting, and antithesis of Van Gaal style. The second half was not so good admittedly.
Really? For me first half, not to mention the second falf, was played at the walking pace. There was no intensity at all, coupled with very few runs made by our players. Mostly it was the players running into each others zones and interchanging few passes among themselves in the crowded area, passes that create zero space and gaps, it was especially dull since fullbacks were also instructed to be very conservative and we saw very few overlaps if any that also resulted in the pitch being narrow given that wide forwards/wingers were always drifting centrally.

Shiva87

feck off with your condescending bullshit. Don't post if you're not going to add something to the discussion.

Mahrez is a perfectly realistic addition to our right side and would likely transform our attack.
I don't really agree. With the way we've bought this summer, we have our forward spots filled out. Martial on the left was a revelation last season, and there is no reason a couple of sub-par performances in preseason can change what he did during the actual games. He almost carried us for large parts last year. Zlatan, Rooney, Rashford and Mata for the two forward spots is as good as it gets. Miki on the right is also a brilliant buy and could be much better than Maharez over the next 3-4 seasons. Where exactly do you think Maharez fits realistically?

Shiva87

I do think the team needed at least two more friendlies before Sundays match.
Today was a nice run out to give the players a workout / minutes but there was never gonna be rhythm to the match especially with all the subs being made. Would have liked to see the first half team (with Mkhi instead of Jesse) and to get a good 60-70 minutes together.
I am expecting this to happen on Sunday. That's Jose's last prep game for the season, and he will want his best team to get some game time together.

Theonas

Scout
Abidal won 3 league titles, was included in French team of the year 3 times, was included in UEFA team of the year and was a starter in the WC final. He is definitely one of the stand-out defenders of his generation (which was poor on defenders though)
Should I really dig out some of the names on that UEFA team of the year? Started a World Cup final? Adil Rami and Raphael Guerrero just started a Euro final as well, what is your point? Again as I said earlier, if you want to include Abidal as a top class defender, you will have to widen your definition because to me a top class defender of that generation would be Nesta, Costacorta, Cannavaro, Terry, Rio, Vidic, Puyol with several other ones that can be debatable. That's nor here or there anyway, the point I was making still remains that it's absurd this idea that is getting thrown around a lot, the one where someone throws a couple of players as an example of "less than world class" to suggest that this is the reason we need to buy more or whatever. You don't agree with Abidal, fair enough, how about Barcelona winning a treble with a squad that had Mathieu, Vermaelen and bleeding Bartra?

stepic

I know it's a preseason and all that, but I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say that experiment 'Ibrahimovic' not gonna work out in the prem. I presume it will be all too slow for us, constantly with no one being in the box. Even if his build up play is world class unless Jose makes him work hard when defending and making regular runs in behind it's all set up to fail for me. From my point of view, that we were lacking was a forward that would harass defenders non-stop with natural aggression to their game in the mould of Tevez, Rooney (not the one we saw for the last few years mind), Suarez these type of strikers. Also seeing Mousa today earlier on I think we could have done with player like him. However, obviously, it's all just pure speculation right now but for me negative signs are there.
Jesus Christ

Status
Not open for further replies.