Rooney to take charge at Derby? (According to The Sun)

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wayne-rooney-in-line-become-22848261

Wayne Rooney is on the brink of becoming the next Derby County manager with Phillip Cocu on the verge of being sacked.

It follows a shoddy start to the season from the Rams, who are 20th in the Championship.

Club chief Mel Morris had ambitions of his team making a go at promotion this season.

But one win in four has left Derby on the wrong end of the table and sums up a largely tepid spell under Cocu.

The Pride Park outfit ended last season in 10th but finished the campaign with four losses on the bounce.

And that form has carried over into the new season, and Cocu's time could be up.

According to The Sun, Morris has seen enough and the writing is on the wall for the Dutchman.

And in a shock twist of fate, he is prepared to hand Rooney the reins despite him still being a player for the club.

The 34-year-old, who is club captain, only signed for the Rams in a surprise move in January.

Ironically, it was Rooney who most likely kept Cocu in a job after his last-gasp free-kick gave them the win over Norwich.

But a poor result against Watford will spell the end for the ex-PSV manager.

However, Rooney does not have all his coaching badges from the FA yet - meaning Derby would have to hire a fully-qualified coach alongside him.

The Sun report that this would be former boss John Gregory, who last managed the club in 2003.

The 66-year-old's most recent venture was in India, where he coached Chennaiyin.

It would not be the first time Morris has turned to inexperience for managers, giving Frank Lampard his first job as a coach.

The Chelsea legend took Derby to the play-off final, where they were beaten by Aston Villa, before moving to the Blues.

Rooney has always insisted he is looking to become a manager, and upon his arrival in Derbyshire earlier this year, he said: “I’ve always been interested in it.

“When Louis van Gaal was manager at United, Ryan Giggs was analysing the opponents and I used to go in there for a few hours after training.”

Rooney has technically already managed when he took charge of the England team for Soccer Aid.
Not the greatest source of course, but interesting to see if it happens...

RashyForPM

Player-manager surely? I wanna see him play in the Prem at least one more time! He was electric from his arrival at United all the way to around 2014.

CM10

I'd take anything The Sun says with more than a pinch of salt but it always seemed to me that Derby's eventual plan would be to transition Rooney into a coaching or management role. I'd be surprised if it came as soon as this though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Somehow Rooney never struck me as the managerial type. Kind of like Ashley Cole in a way, I just thought Rooney would either walk away from football completely or come back as a coach in a some capacity and do the odd punditry work. Fair play to him if he wants to have a managerial career. I hope it works out well for him.

Sounds kind a disaster.

I’m not saying Rooney shouldn’t be a manager, but when he’s given up playing. Or is that the case now? If he’s still starting every game, and has aspirations to play for another couple of years, then this was be a very bad move for him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This story is probably great for dressing room morale :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
I remember when it was announced he was joining as a player/coach, I did post that he might end up as their manager although I was actually thinking as soon as he arrived as Cocu had made a really poor start to last season and Rooney was still a few months off joining.Not really surprised if true, part of the thinking behind involving him in the coaching might have been for this to happen (if it happens) although perhaps they were hoping he'd be done as a player by the time it did.

Isn't he their best player?
Not sure, but I did notice he was getting a fair bit of criticism in the opening weeks of the season for playing too deep, being too pedestrian and not getting involved enough but then he banged in that free kick winner a week or two back and everyone loved him again, if only for a short time.

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wasn’t their rumours the other derby players were unhappy at how much he was on compared to the rest of them?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Rooney is apparently quite astue when it comes to tactics and formations, I think he’ll suprise a lot of people!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's a pity that Cocu seems to be doing a poor job again. He was pretty good with PSV, and he seemed the type to eventually take over the Dutch national team; but it's gone wrong now at both Fenerbahçe and Derby, so guess not... (Although that sort of thing hasn't stopped Frank de Boer!)

Cloud7

Rooney is apparently quite astue when it comes to tactics and formations, I think he’ll suprise a lot of people!
Understanding the game and being able to translate that knowledge into properly managing and instilling that knowledge in your players are two very different things. I think a lot of managers struggle with the latter. I don't doubt many managers have great ideas about what they would like to accomplish on the field, but aren't quite able to figure out how to get that across to the players.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It's a pity that Cocu seems to be doing a poor job again. He was pretty good with PSV, and he seemed the type to eventually take over the Dutch national team; but it's gone wrong now at both Fenerbahçe and Derby, so guess not... (Although that sort of thing hasn't stopped Frank de Boer!)
Yeah wtf is up with that. Whatever happened to all the decent coaches the Dutch had. LvG, Advocaat, Hiddink, Michiels and Cruyff before of course... Probably forgetting some. Ill say Koeman too because otherwise he ll probably demand I get released by the Caf.

Bit surprised it took Derby this long to cut ties with Cocu though. Seems like they ve been consistently bad since he started.

Kostov

Contrary to what many on here love to spout on Rooney, from lots of his interviews he comes out as an intelligent football guy who knows his shit. That doesn't have to mean that he will be a good manager, but I would love to see that happen. Imagine him coming back one day to manage as? Absolute legend.:D

GMoore23

Somehow Rooney never struck me as the managerial type. Kind of like Ashley Cole in a way, I just thought Rooney would either walk away from football completely or come back as a coach in a some capacity and do the odd punditry work. Fair play to him if he wants to have a managerial career. I hope it works out well for him.
Captain of both Manchester United and England for years. I wouldn't compare him to Ashley Cole.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This reminds me of the Frankie Boyle chant; Kick it in the goal! Kick it in the goal! Their goal not our goal!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Have any of our legends become good managers? Loved Wazza as a player but doesn’t come across as the most tactically astute, similarly to Scholes. Can’t see this ending well.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Player-manager surely? I wanna see him play in the Prem at least one more time! He was electric from his arrival at United all the way to around 2014.
Maybe not ALL the way, dont forget his usual first quarter of each season where he was working the fags and junk food out of his system, and the season where he played like crap for about half of it, the season he wanted to leave if memory serves?

RashyForPM

Maybe not ALL the way, dont forget his usual first quarter of each season where he was working the fags and junk food out of his system, and the season where he played like crap for about half of it, the season he wanted to leave if memory serves?
Right maybe I should have said consistently instead of all the way as there were times like early 2010 as you say or any time we played at Anfield or Goodison where he could be atrocious. However, he was consistently brilliant. Even if he came back a bit chubby after holidays, he’d still get goals.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Right maybe I should have said consistently instead of all the way as there were times like early 2010 as you say or any time we played at Anfield or Goodison where he could be atrocious. However, he was consistently brilliant. Even if he came back a bit chubby after holidays, he’d still get goals.
Yeah Im just being pedantic mate, because I could never stand el dirtball, from his everton days right up to the end of his utd days.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah wtf is up with that. Whatever happened to all the decent coaches the Dutch had. LvG, Advocaat, Hiddink, Michiels and Cruyff before of course... Probably forgetting some. Ill say Koeman too because otherwise he ll probably demand I get released by the Caf.

Bit surprised it took Derby this long to cut ties with Cocu though. Seems like they ve been consistently bad since he started.
There are actually a couple of good coaches now though, like Ten Hag at Ajax, Slot at AZ, and Bosz at Leverkusen (I'd put him in the same category still). They are really system coaches though; not sure if that would work out with a national team. On a lower key, Van den Brom has been establishing a good track record at Dutch clubs, and I'm probably forgetting some others like him. I also had some hopes for Van Bronckhorst, given what he achieved with Feyenoord; but he's in China now, and I have no idea if he's doing well or considering it semi-retirement.