Rooney Vs Rio

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I like Rio more but I think Rooney will be the answer to this question. Although I still have a feeling of disappointment with Rooney (just feel that he could have been so much more than his already great career with us).

RedCurry

Rooney is an absolute legend. But I think Rio shades it due to his leadership, consistency and obviously loyalty. If Rooney didn’t try to join a rival, he be regarded much higher by the fans

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Rio. Our most successful period (1CL win, 2 CL finals, 4 league titles and 2 2nd place finishes - by GD and 1pt - in 5 years) was built on our defence.

Wilt

The white Pele easily.

Rio and Vidic were a brilliant double act, but I thought Vidic the better player. Where as Rooney, naturally gifted teenage phenomenon, record scorer, a truly amazing footballer.

Rio, just.

If you looked at our all time best 11 I'd pick Rio in defence but I'm not sure I would select Rooney in attack. I also think Rio would instantly transform our current team in ways Rooney couldnt. But then, Rooney was a truly incredible player and would win you games pretty much on his own.

Plus, I always felt Rooney could have been something really, really special if he'd had the same application as Ronaldo. Rio was self motivating. Seemed like Rooney needed SAF breathing down his neck.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Rio is one of best defenders in his generation. For me personally the best. He was the most complete defender who i ever watched. People always mention Cannavaro and Nesta as the best but Rio was at their level.
BUT Rooney is our and England's all time best goalscorer so Rooney is the winner for me.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I love and hate looking back at that time, love how good we were and hate how we compare now :lol:

Wish Ronaldo hadn't been dreaming of Madrid :(
Hurts to think about it doesn't? We would have walked the league every year with Ronaldo and probably have won a couple more CLs's.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Rooney was the better signing, he was unstoppable and performed at the higher level for longer. Although last few seasons were poor.

Rio is much more likeable, loves the club and was ultra committed throughout.

United58

Hurts to think about it doesn't? We would have walked the league every year with Ronaldo and probably have won a couple more CLs's.
Aye, for sure - given our replacements were essentially Owen and Valencia (with Berbatov ousting Tevez) we had a massive drop in quality. Berbatov was a great player, but Tevez suited our style of play much better imo - I remember Ferguson saying one of the main reasons we went for Berbatov in 2008 was that he viewed us resting on ours laurels in terms of transfers in 1999 as a mistake after winning the Champions League. Berbatov had fantastic technique (that assist against West Ham was godly), but he just didn't suit our fast style of play.

What hurts the most about Ronaldo's departure is that we were actually far better than Madrid back in 2009 - this was back when they were known as a perennial last 16 side in the Champions League, with 'La Decima' hanging around their neck like a noose. In 2007, 2008 and 2009 we'd finished semi-finalists, winners and finalists respectively. If only Ronaldo hadn't had that Madrid dream in his head, we might have won more Champions Leagues during one of our greatest ever periods :(

Even without Ronaldo we were second by a point in 2010, won the league in 2011 (with a Champions League final appearance to boot), second by goal difference in 2012 and won the league in 2013. Imagine how well we would have done with Ronaldo?!

If, but, maybe, imagine - I suppose those are the words and concepts that make football - and sports in general - so fascinating. Hopefully we can return to those glorious heights soon :D

Ibi Dreams

Yeah, you can see it with Evra too when he talks seriously about his time at United. Rio, Evra and Vida were the bedrock of our defence in United's most successful ever period. They were all completely on point psychologically, all totally driven and fearless. It was all about standards too, failure was not accepted.
I miss that so much. Saw a great Evra interview the other day where he answers Google questions about him and he talked a lot about the mentality they had as a team. He said when RvP joined he told him "welcome to a man club" and they both kind of laughed, then a while later RvP went to Evra and said "I get it now, you were right". The sheer drive and will to win was unreal back then

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'm torn. Rooney gave us 6 or 7 seasons of genuine unbelievable match winning football, which arguably made Rio's job easier. He was always a seamless performer with ever changing attacking counterparts : RVN, Giggs, Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov, Welbeck, Chicharito, RVP, Falcao, Zlatan, Rashford, Martial amongst others. Not all players are capable of remaining as consistent as he was under such circumstances.

Rio came through 2 significant team transitions and successfully changed his game, firstly coming into the side merging from Keane, Beckham et al over 3 years to Rooney, Ronaldo etc.

Shored up the defence and changed his entire approach to football 2009 onwards, where his athleticism and speed were starting to fade.

I have to say Rooney though. Coming in at 18, with all that expectation, starting with a hat trick under the lights in a CL game. Not only our top goalscorer, but a collection of Puskas-contending goals. Scored in cup finals. Developed an all-round game allowing him to be used in a variety of positions without complaint. Fought for the cause.

The contract issue and breakdown in relationship with SAF are disappointing, but putting that in isolation he truly is one of our top 5 best ever.

Kelly15

It really is unfair as you are comparing 2 different positions, but if we didn't sign Rio would we have been able to find another top cb? Probably. Maybe not as good as Rio but close enough. Finding another Rooney? Generational player. Not a chance.

Absolutely loved Rio. Rio, vidic, and evra, what a defence. Miss the characters we used to have so much. So much class back then. Only took 2 years for moyes and lvg to completely gut us of class and our identity. So sad.

RedCurry

How times change!

Are you talking about his attachment to United even after his retirement?
I can’t recall Rio ever trying to move to a rival club whereas Rooney flirted with the idea of moving to Chelsea.

witchtrials

I can’t recall Rio ever trying to move to a rival club whereas Rooney flirted with the idea of moving to Chelsea.
Of all the ways to distinguish between them that seems like a curious one! You don't remember 2005 then?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Rio.

Got to factor in their status in the game at the time of their signing. Rooney was younger but obviously a megastar in the making, having it torn it up at Euro 2004 at just 18. Ferdinand was older, but still quite raw and there was a question mark over whether he'd iron out the occasional concentration lapses that characterised his game. The £30m fee generated more scrutiny (sound familiar?) but turned out to be superb value for money. United's success in Europe in the second half of the 2000s and early 2010s was built on the rock-solid foundations of the Rio-led backline and I think he became more singularly influential to the team's success than Rooney during that period.

DanH

I mean I've gone with Rio as my pick but that's an odd one. Don't you remember the Rio/Kenyon restaurant thing?

Also, someone mentioned that Rooney was unselfish with Ronaldo and could do everything Ronaldo could... that's just wrong. Rooney never quite found that consistency that has set Ronaldo apart.

Cloud7

Rooney.

A poll would be good to actually quantify the views on this.

RedCurry

@everyone

This is how Rio explained it and I believe it. It’s one thing to explore opportunities and another to actively seek to leave which I believe Rooney did.

Again, I explain that in my new book, but I just want to reiterate that I was never a part of that meeting. I bumped into my agent and he was sat with Peter Kenyon. It was literally just a case of me popping in to say hello. I don’t even think I ordered a drink! I left after 10 or 15 minutes, but somebody obviously took a photo. A snapshot of a moment you can lead to so many stories.

Anyway, my post was not just about this one thing. I also mentioned other reasons why I feel Rio was more important for us. There isn’t much between the two players for me. They are both club legends.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It's easier to be good in a great team, it's harder to turn that team that RVP transformed into title winners. It's why SAF signed him. One last hoorah.

Rooney wasn't often Uniteds best player over a season. He only won that award twice. He only won PFA award once. I think the other stuff, clouds your judgement. The running around stuff. That doesn't translate to being the best cf in the world. His stats never backed that up either, other than his one outstanding season. He was a great united player and a great signing. But he wasn't in Henry's class or Ronaldos.
Correct me if I am wrong but this means nothing, Scholes never won any of them things and he is arguably United’s 2nd best ever CM.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Very interesting observation. A defence of Vidic and Stam would have been better than the Vidic Rio partnership. I think Rio is a top class defender but also a bit over inflated by The British Press. Rooney was overshadowed by Ronaldo and Rooney very unselfishly played second fiddle to Ronaldo. Rooney at his peak can do anything Ronaldo did and I would say was a more complete player.
Great post I agree. Rooney could put in a decent shift in any outfield position. He apparently wasn’t bad between the sticks either.

He is the definition of Cruyff’s total football philosophy.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Correct me if I am wrong but this means nothing, Scholes never won any of them things and he is arguably United’s 2nd best ever CM.
Scholes is my favourite ever player. Can you tell me when he was Uniteds player of the season ?

lex talionis

Rio, but take nothing away from the club’s leading scorer. Rio was the pinnacle of consistency whereas Rooney, legend, was notoriously inconsistent.

Son

Both are legends. Both cost around £30 million. Rooney was the better player imo.

Maybe the best player England has ever produced! His goals for us where unbeleivable at times.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Personally I think that if you took each player out of the time line, we’d have been worse off in the timeline without Rio.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Rooney

Record club scorer

If you look at how well our forwards gelled in different periods Rooney was the one that made it all work

Look at most of the huge moments like rvp volley against villa, who supplied the pass?

Not knocking Rio, he was world class in his own right but i feel its easier for the side to get by without Rio than it was without Rooney
Put simply, for more than 10 years Rooney brought balance to the team