Rooney vs Solkjaer - Who's the biggest club legend?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Don't forget that Rooney was also our talisman. The first name on the teamsheet. So based on contribution alone, it's Rooney for me.

Skills

Snitch
In terms of career and who the better player was, it's quite obviously Rooney.

But Solskjaer's 'legend' is bigger IMO. He scored the most important goal in the clubs history in the most dramatic fashion - so irrespective of the quality of talent we've had over the years, his place in Utd's history and fandom is uniquely special.

Nikelesh Reddy

Rooney

Solkjaer

Rooney for me. He's the all time top scorer, scored lots of important goals, Solkjaer did so too but was never an integral player in a great team and only scored 20+ goals in a season once. Even Martial and Rashford equaled that this season, heck Greenwood is fairly close to it as well.
Not even close,Rooneys a living legend....One of the greatest players to have ever played for the club...,

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Can an Admin please correct the spelling in the title? Imagine spelling a club legends name wrong in the thread made to debate his legendary status.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Individual performance it's Rooney without second thought.

As a representative from an era, definitely Solskjaer.

Solskjaer has the great fortune of finding himself centerpiece in one of the most iconic moments in club history.

Rooney will be remembered as the all time goal scorer and all around amazing player.

Solskjaer will be remembered for the sentence "Solskjaer has won it" that will have a very sentimental clang to it to anyone who's old enough to have both seen the game and remember just how wild a ride that night was.
Rooney ruined a lot of his legacy through the cheating "scandal" (people in relationships sometimes cheat, it's not such a shocking surprise, its more he did it frequently with a pregnant wife at home). And he asked to leave the club twice. In 2010 and 2013, being left out of Sir Alex's final matchsquad. The 2010 debacle was quite ugly and saw a lot of fans turn on him for a time.

Solskjaer spent his career at the club, outright denying a move to Tottenham, prefering to take his chances on the Manchester United bench.

So on one hand we have the clubs all time top scorer, who's not exactly remembered for something iconic outside of a long Manchester United career speckled with many, many highlights and brilliant performances.

On the other hand we have a player who is remembered in posterity as the original supersub, and for the words "Solskjaer has won it", an integral part in the treble season that is yet to be matched.

Moments make icons, everything else inbetween is soon forgotten, and that is why 20Legend hangs at Old Trafford, while Wayne Rooney does not.

Last edited:

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Potential, ability, talent and achievemtents it's gotta be Rooney.

Emotionally it has to be Solskjær.

I'm basing that on Ole's attitude, loyalty and the 99 final and season - he did score more important goals that season. As for Rooney his behavior around that one or two contract negotiations still is a big minus for me. He came across as a disloyal greedy cnut after that. Also, if SAF had continued one more season he would have been booted out that summer SAF retired, which of course would have meant no club scoring record.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Solskjaer turned down a move to Spurs to play as a sub and won the treble.

Rooney held a gun the club's head to get a pay rise.

It's Solskjaer.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Rooney won 3 leagues in a row including a league and CL double and was a main and key player in the starting lineup in them. Honestly him alone being our top goalscorer ever put him ahead of not just Ole but many other of legends too imo. I won't go through the individual awards by the way, that are listed in the OP.

Rooney was our best player in Moyes season and LVG's first season, so I don't get the idea about him being totally past it by then. He only declined massively since LVG's second season. Without him, I don't even know how LVG's first season would have went, he was our only good attacking player upfront in it alongside Mata.

He questioned our transfer policy which he was right about by the way, and it showed on as the years went they we were taking very wrong steps in transfer market. He did this because he was worried about the direction we were going in and wanted the best for the team.

The second transfer request was a myth that doesn't want to die :
This Solskjaer could have joined Spurs is the most stupid thing I've heard in Caf. I mean, they were fecking Spurs, a midtable club. He probably would have also earned less. And they were such a joke that Fergie's grand pep talk was 'Lads, is Spurs'. That's it. It is like saying Rooney could have joined Wolves but he stayed at United. In fact, at his peak, Rooney could have joined almost any club in the world, the likes of Moratti or Perez would have loved to sign him. Sure, he flirted once with the City (though that might have been to get some extra money) but he gave his best years to United, while he could have gone to equally big clubs. Ole had never that chance of being tempted from the big clubs.
These two posts are bang on.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Rooney had a much bigger impact and was a far better player that's not in doubt but Ole is a bigger legend for me.

I just feels fans have a greater affinity for Ole. Rooney broke Sir Bobby's record but he's still nowhere close to being as big of a legend as SBC.

I feel like being a United legend is about your story as well as what you do on the pitch. There's no real romance to Rooney's story outside of his debut. Eric, Class of 92, Sir Bobby, Keane all had great stories to go along with their performances. Ole was the same IMO.
What romance is there to Keane story? I loved Keane and he was an instrumental awesome player for us, so was Rooney though so where’s the difference in that?

rooney is our all time leading goal scorer over taking the true club legends record and by doing so helped us towards multiple league wins and a champions league. This is obviously a legends story.
peoole believe the papers too much and once they hear a little snippet of something run with it

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

But Solskjaer's 'legend' is bigger IMO. He scored the most important goal in the clubs history in the most dramatic fashion - so irrespective of the quality of talent we've had over the years, his place in Utd's history and fandom is uniquely special.
So where would you put Ole, just behind Charlton or above?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This Solskjaer could have joined Spurs is the most stupid thing I've heard in Caf. I mean, they were fecking Spurs, a midtable club. He probably would have also earned less. And they were such a joke that Fergie's grand pep talk was 'Lads, is Spurs'. That's it. It is like saying Rooney could have joined Wolves but he stayed at United. In fact, at his peak, Rooney could have joined almost any club in the world, the likes of Moratti or Perez would have loved to sign him. Sure, he flirted once with the City (though that might have been to get some extra money) but he gave his best years to United, while he could have gone to equally big clubs. Ole had never that chance of being tempted from the big clubs.
Not sure why you think that's the dumbest thing you've heard, but in case you don't know what happened, allow me to fill in the blanks and add some context:

In 1998, Tottenham and Manchester United had agreed AND signed a transfer deal for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer worth £5,5m (with inflation that adds to £8,4m in 2020). Martin Edwards (the Manchester United chairman at the time) and Alan Sugar in Tottenam had signed the paperwork and literally the only thing remaining was Ole's signature and he'd have left in 98. At the time he was primarily a bench player and his agent was pushing for the move to allow him to do what most football players actually wants to do: Start football matches.

Sir Alex had a talk with Ole and told him that if he stayed, he'd get enough playing time*. And the rest is as they say, history (*As quoted by Ole recounting the events in 98). It's important to note that the clubs negotiated the move without Ole actually wanting to leave, as does happen when clubs sell players most of the time.

So this move was very very real, the paperwork was ready to go, and it all changed after a heart to heart between player and manager.

So can you explain to me: Which parts of this is "the most stupid thing you have ever heard in Caf"?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not sure why you think that's the dumbest thing you've heard, but in case you don't know what happened, allow me to fill in the blanks and add some context:

In 1998, Tottenham and Manchester United had agreed AND signed a transfer deal for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer worth £5,5m (with inflation that adds to £8,4m in 2020). Martin Edwards (the Manchester United chairman at the time) and Alan Sugar in Tottenam had signed the paperwork and literally the only thing remaining was Ole's signature and he'd have left in 98. At the time he was primarily a bench player and his agent was pushing for the move to allow him to do what most football players actually wants to do: Start football matches.

Sir Alex had a talk with Ole and told him that if he stayed, he'd get enough playing time*. And the rest is as they say, history (*As quoted by Ole recounting the events in 98). It's important to note that the clubs negotiated the move without Ole actually wanting to leave, as does happen when clubs sell players most of the time.

So this move was very very real, the paperwork was ready to go, and it all changed after a heart to heart between player and manager.

So can you explain to me: Which parts of this is "the most stupid thing you have ever heard in Caf"?
No one has denied all that happened I don’t think but saying it’s an undying loyalty to stay at united in 98 when they were dominating the league Or go to mid table spurs. Come on, especially if Fergie told him he’d get playing time.

I love Solskjær and damn right he’s right up there as a legend for his goal and obvious love for the club but that spurs thing is crap imo.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
No one has denied all that happened I don’t think but saying it’s an undying loyalty to stay at united in 98 when they were dominating the league Or go to mid table spurs. Come on, especially if Fergie told him he’d get playing time.

I love Solskjær and damn right he’s right up there as a legend for his goal and obvious love for the club but that spurs thing is crap imo.
It's "crap" in the sense that Ole never wanted to leave.
It's real in the sense that the clubs had a transfer agreed and it was up to Ole to take it.

The entire point is that the all he had to do was put pen on paper and he'd get a role as a starting player, a route that hundreds of player take every single year in European football. He chose the bench. That's just part of his legacy.

Exactly what value anyone wants to attribute to that is up to them, but it's a fact that happened. If anyone wants to belittle it or make it seem pointless or insignificant, that's entirely their own choice. For me that speaks to the man's character.

El Zoido

It's real in the sense that the clubs had a transfer agreed and it was up to Ole to take it.

The entire point is that the all he had to do was put pen on paper and he'd get a role as a starting player, a route that hundreds of player take every single year in European football. He chose the bench. That's just part of his legacy.

Exactly what value anyone wants to attribute to that is up to them, but it's a fact that happened. If anyone wants to belittle it or make it seem pointless or insignificant, that's entirely their own choice. For me that speaks to the man's character.
I’m in argreement with you, but he didn’t choose “the bench”, he chose to be a contributing player to one of the most successful club eras in English football history and to finish his career with a cabinet full of winners medals, rather than a maybe couple of Spurs POTY awards and feck all else. It really depends how you want to frame it.

As for the question at hand, perhaps we’ll see this thread bumped in the years to come as Ole adds to his legacy. I certainly hope so.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

You’ve repeated yourself and I’ll end up repeating myself. He didn’t choose the bench here instead of going to a top club elsewhere and winning medals there, it was bloody spurs. That he’s a legend We both agree anyway.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)

Acting like turning down Spurs to stay at Manchester United was some heroic, selfless act. Anyone of the top clubs in Europe would’ve had Rooney at his peak. He questioned the clubs’ ambition and guest what, he was right. The clubs top scorer and integral part of a team that won three consecutive titles, plus more and cups with three CL finals in four years. Ole scored the most iconic goal in the clubs’ history which propels his status from very good squad option to legendary.

Revan

Assumptionman

Cause it was fecking Spurs. Why any player who had a bit of respect for himself would have wanted to leave United in order to join Spurs? They were a joke of a club.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Cause it was fecking Spurs. Why any player who had a bit of respect for himself would have wanted to leave United in order to join Spurs? They were a joke of a club.
You are acting like Tranmere Rovers wanted him. Spurs were a bit in a mess, but they have a solid history and they were spending shitload of money at the time while offering him a starting place in their lineup.

On the other hand we on top of Sheringham previous season added another striker in Yorke to make fighting for minutes even harder at the time. Many players would leave and everyone would understand it. Ole responded with 18 goals that season and fecked off his agent advice.

If you want to downplay it, go ahead, but to make it sound like it was some straightforward choice is ridiculous.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Ole was part of our most iconic moment but Rooney was bigger legend. He was also key player during our most successful period.

Handré1990

Has the question been asked, if Solskjaer wins a league with us as manager would he surpass Rooney?

Would anyone say no?
No, but it’s an apt question. As of now, it’s not even a contest imo, Rooney hands down. However, OGS still has a chance to grow his legend. The scouser not so much.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You are acting like Tranmere Rovers wanted him. Spurs were a bit in a mess, but they have a solid history and they were spending shitload of money at the time while offering him a starting place in their lineup.

On the other hand we on top of Sheringham previous season added another striker in Yorke to make fighting for minutes even harder at the time. Many players would leave and everyone would understand it. Ole responded with 18 goals that season and fecked off his agent advice.

If you want to downplay it, go ahead, but to make it sound like it was some straightforward choice is ridiculous.
You put a bit more sense into it than what I was thinking i suppose but I was maybe thinking as a fan, the thought of leaving a Dominating united team to join spurs sounds ridiculous. Every player knows they are going to have to fight for their place regardless. I don’t think what Ole did was out of the ordinary at all

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The obvious choice is Rooney and when I saw the title thread I thought for sure the OP would be making an argument for Ole. Since he didn't, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Ole is a legend and was an integral part of the squad, but he was a squad player. Making a thread like this is like making a thread that asks "who was better, Ryan Giggs or Chris Eagles"...

OleBoiii

Weird thread, but OK:

Rooney is the better player, which is the most important metric, but Solskjær beats him every other aspect, imo.

Solskjær for me.

El Jefe

What romance is there to Keane story? I loved Keane and he was an instrumental awesome player for us, so was Rooney though so where’s the difference in that?

rooney is our all time leading goal scorer over taking the true club legends record and by doing so helped us towards multiple league wins and a champions league. This is obviously a legends story.
peoole believe the papers too much and once they hear a little snippet of something run with it
The night in Turin. It's been over 20 years and people still talk about that performance to this day.

Like I said previously, Rooney won more and scored more than Sir Bobby and Cantona but he's not seen as bigger legend than either. The same way he's broken records for England but falls behind many others. Rooney was well on his way to becoming the biggest United legend after the 2009/10 season but he hurt his legacy here in 2011 and 2013. He also had an underwhelming end to his time here. With all that said, he's still a legend.

Classical Mechanic

The treble was incredible but the side Rooney played in was the second best side in the history of English football. Fergie was three points away from winning 7 titles in a row during Rooney’s peak years. This was when all of the top 4 sides in England were capable of winning the Champions League. Only arguably the greatest club side in history stopped this side from winning 3 Champions League titles in 4 years which would have allowed that United side to make its own claim to be considered the greatest club side in history.

Ryan Bobson

Rooney went down in my estimation when he asked to leave up to then i even forgave him being a scouser a blue one noted , now OK Ole i have the up most respect and admiration being in the Nou Camp to see him score the winner in 99 , pulling us out of the sh*t against Liverpool in the FA cup in 99 and scoring 4 goals coming on as a sub at Forrest clouds my judgement but they are my memories great ones at that

Foxbatt

It is even stupid to even compare both these players. One is a regular sub for United who scored a winner in the CL Final while the other has been involved in the most successful period of the club and scored the most number of goals for club and country. In this case Forlan is a bigger legend than Giggs because he scored two goals against Liverpool and he played for a few minutes without his shirt.