Rooney - Wants to stay next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Why?

If it got him off our books and brought in a top PL CF, what would be so troubling to you about it?
Sorry, but I don't rate Lukaku - and certainly not for £90M! - that's more money than Pogba cost.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Which legends have Madrid ruthlessly shamed and culled recently then ? I take it you must be referring back to Jose's stint there & the Casillas treatment ?
Well, they sold Raul the season after they got Cristiano Ronaldo. Players like Hierro, Campo, Salgado and Guti never had chances to retire at Real. Raul was not shamed by Madrid when he left. In any case, the embarrassment of being sold by a club is better than hanging around like embarrasment of hanging around unwanted and underperforming way after you're past your best.

In this respects, I'd prefer Real's policy. The club is bigger than any player. We had the fine balance between respecting our long serving players and looking out for the club's interests during Fergies's time. It all went out the window with him gone.

frank lee madeer..

Well, they sold Raul the season after they got Cristiano Ronaldo. Players like Hierro, Campo, Salgado and Guti never had chances to retire at Real. Raul was not shamed by Madrid when he left. In any case, the embarrassment of being sold by a club is better than hanging around like embarrasment of hanging around unwanted and underperforming way after you're past your best.

In this respects, I'd prefer Real's policy. The club is bigger than any player. We had the fine balance between respecting our long serving players and looking out for the club's interests during Fergies's time. It all went out the window with him gone.
That wasn't the point I was making. Some
posters on here have said we should give him ( Rooney ) the schweinstieger treatment. I disagree. Jose even admitted he was wrong to treat bfs that way. I've no problem moving players on, there is just a classy and a shoddy way of doing it. I prefer the classy option personally.
Madrid also have no problem moving on older legendary players, but they certainly don't normally do it in an unclassy way, ( maybe Jose's time there was the exception ) as sunama suggested they do. Jose seems to actually seek to make a statement of his absolute control by moving out big characters on his arrival. Raul, guti, went at Madrid, mata on his return to Chelsea, Bastian at United. I've no problem with him doing this either, as long as he does it in a classy way, it's just that most times it seems it isn't. There's no need for all the drama.

red_devil83

Just tell him he's 4th choice behind Rashford, Martial and new striker we haven't signed yet and he might get a few minutes in the league cup

If he really wants to waste the rest of his career not even making the bench, then sadly there's not a lot we can do about it.

I don't agree that he's a club legend, despite having the goals record but at the same time I don't agree with sending him to the U21s. We can act in the best interests of the club (ie telling him he won't play) and let nature take it's course.

I wouldn't offer him any loyalty bonus or golden handshake if he chooses to leave but I also wouldn't ask a fee (unless it's China or Everton armed with Lukaku money).

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I wouldn't offer him any loyalty bonus or golden handshake if he chooses to leave but I also wouldn't ask a fee (unless it's China or Everton armed with Lukaku money).
But its not a loyalty bonus or golden handshake, he has a contract the club agreed to.

As for not considering him a club legend, well that's just deluded.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not a joke, Jazz. We'll pay 50% of Rooney salary in year 1 of a 2 year deal.
Where did you hear this? Seems odd as it seems the Morata deal is also progressing this week

EverReddy

Where did you hear this? Seems odd as it seems the Morata deal is also progressing this week
I know this sounds like a clichéd ITK wum - a mate whose friend works at goodison. (No uncles, cats, overheard on the bus or neighbours involved this time) It's only a rumour/whisper. But I've stuck £100 on it. Reckon we're after both of them.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I know this sounds like a clichéd ITK wum - a mate whose friend works at goodison. (No uncles, cats, overheard on the bus or neighbours involved this time) It's only a rumour/whisper. But I've stuck £100 on it. Reckon we're after both of them.
Fair enough

Ninja7Red

Think this will happen before the end of August. Hopefully we'll give Pereira a chance to take Rooney's spot in the squad.
But what do you think Pereira's best position is? He had been played out wide, central and even as a no. 10 at Granada; and still had decent returns to show every single game.

I would love to see Pereira given a decent run of games and let him work out where he sees his future position be.

Rusholme Ruffian

That wasn't the point I was making. Some
posters on here have said we should give him ( Rooney ) the schweinstieger treatment. I disagree. Jose even admitted he was wrong to treat bfs that way. I've no problem moving players on, there is just a classy and a shoddy way of doing it. I prefer the classy option personally.
Madrid also have no problem moving on older legendary players, but they certainly don't normally do it in an unclassy way, ( maybe Jose's time there was the exception ) as sunama suggested they do. Jose seems to actually seek to make a statement of his absolute control by moving out big characters on his arrival. Raul, guti, went at Madrid, mata on his return to Chelsea, Bastian at United. I've no problem with him doing this either, as long as he does it in a classy way, it's just that most times it seems it isn't. There's no need for all the drama.
It sounds like maybe you have an issue with Jose and that is clouding your thinking. So far I think Mourinho has handled the Rooney situation in a completely classy way - and really, throughout his career he has tended to nurture older players at the clubs he has been at far more often than 'moving them out on his arrival'. I agree with you on Schweinsteiger - I didn't particularly like how that was handled, but on the flipside if Jose arrived at the club and was told by various people that Bastian hadn't been very committed the season before (ref. following his missus around the tennis circuit and never being in Manchester etc) then maybe that influenced his thinking?

I don't see how you can lump Mata in with your argument - he is not what you would really call a 'big character', he just didn't fit with the football that Mourinho wanted to play at Chelsea and he felt he had better options in that position. I don't really follow what happens at real madrid but I don't particularly remember there being too much of an issue with moving Raul and Guti on. And since then they've won how many European Cups? It clearly wasn't a bad decision.

Most people seem to agree that Mourinho has handled the Rooney situation very well so far - with very little of the 'drama' that you mention. I don't know how it's going to pan out obviously, but you seem to be blaming him for something that hasn't actually happened.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
But what do you think Pereira's best position is? He had been played out wide, central and even as a no. 10 at Granada; and still had decent returns to show every single game.

I would love to see Pereira given a decent run of games and let him work out where he sees his future position be.
Think he's most comfortable in an advanced midfield role, but Jose will also probably use him on the wing as we all know he likes versatile players.

red_devil83

But its not a loyalty bonus or golden handshake, he has a contract the club agreed to.

As for not considering him a club legend, well that's just deluded.
As in if he leaves to another club I wouldn't agree to subsidise or pay out any of his contract. Pretty obvious really.

I think you'll find a lot of people don't consider him a legend. Primarily for the contract disputes but also for being shit for 3 years. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player in his day but a real legend knows when he's done and calls time. Rooney's just clinging on for all he can get. He's been shit for nearly 25% of his time at United.

stevoc

As in if he leaves to another club I wouldn't agree to subsidise or pay out any of his contract. Pretty obvious really.

I think you'll find a lot of people don't consider him a legend. Primarily for the contract disputes but also for being shit for 3 years. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player in his day but a real legend knows when he's done and calls time. Rooney's just clinging on for all he can get. He's been shit for nearly 25% of his time at United.
We've had a fair few players who are considered legends stay beyond their usefulness over the years. If Rooney leaves this summer then he will have left after the first season when he wasn't a first teamer. If that scenario plays out then i don't see how anyone can say he's stayed too long, many players move on after a season when they've lose their place in the first team. Robbo, Cole, Hughes etc. don't see how this would be any different.

Robbie Boy

Campo is the odd one out in that list.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Some positive transfer news, at least. Koeman can't have watched many United games over the past 4 years.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/04/wayne...squad-after-agreeing-to-join-everton-6755641/

Metro saying he's been withdrawn fron United's USA tour so it looks like he is on his way to Everton. Chuffed for him if this is true. If he's ever going to find his scoring boots again he'll do it there. They've been his favourite team since he was a child and his family are Everton supporters. Reckon it will give him a new lease of life to be back playing at Goodison.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
This new generation coming up will never know how good he was in his prime. One of the greatest players to ever play in the premier league and at points in the world. He's done it all, an absolute legend.

If the report is true, thank you for everything Wazza. The memories and achievements created will last forever :)

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/04/wayne...squad-after-agreeing-to-join-everton-6755641/

Metro saying he's been withdrawn fron United's USA tour so it looks like he is on his way to Everton. Chuffed for him if this is true. If he's ever going to find his scoring boots again he'll do it there. They've been his favourite team since he was a child and his family are Everton supporters. Reckon it will give him a new lease of life to be back playing at Goodison.
glad for him and his family.

The_Order

This new generation coming up will never know how good he was in his prime. One of the greatest players to ever play in the premier league and at points in the world. He's done it all, an absolute legend.

If the report is true, thank you for everything Wazza. The memories and achievements created will last forever :)
His legendary status would have remained untouched were it not for his own avarice and negligence of his own health and body. He's spent the last 4-5 seasons shredding his own legacy at every turn - fitting that his embarrassing outing among the legends at Carrick's testimonial was his last parade at OT - it serves as a permanent reminder to all of what Wayne Rooney is in the here and now. A below average player lacking in pace, touch, skill and awareness that is mostly seen in Division two currently stealing a living.

He was fantastic - but that was another life sadly. Hope Everton give him a new lease of life - but he will never be that mercurial talent of yesteryear.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

This.

I think it's a good move for him, and I hope he enjoys some good form there.

His United highlights reel and achievements are incredible - something that's often missed, but I think history will definitely serve him well.

Web of Bissaka

Assuming he's joining back Everton..

Best move for everyone.
  • Rooney himself have another proper-regular-games-go resurrecting his career with club and National team, proving himself and everyone he's still not yet finished. Plus, make amends with his boyhood club and the Everton fans.
  • Everton (team and manager) for sure will use his experiences and football abilities, what's left of it.
  • Manchester United, in a lot of ways.
:devil: Wayne Rooney, one of the best in his prime, he's just that good, complete footballer and striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.