Status
Not open for further replies.

RAVred

I just looked it up and if source is correct then:

Pogba 290k
DDG 200k
Mata & Miki 140k
Isnt young on 120 and lingard 100?

Yet we're more accepting of players with 'fashionable names' according to some :rolleyes:

NoPace

I'll cheer for him again, since I won't be worried that if he scores or plays okay he's going to get more playing time.

At his best, a great #9 who was a threat but didn't clog things up for others and a better than decent playmaker for a striker. Individually, the thing I'll always wonder about is if Ferguson had benched Hernandez and played Rooney up top against Barca in the 2011 CL final. I really think that Vidic and Rio might have been able to hold out with enough protection, and Rooney might have been able to be the difference maker going forward in a CL final, which few can say.

I'm sure most would have Van Nistelrooy as the 9 on Fergie's best team, but I'm pretty sure the other attackers would have rather had prime Rooney up top...

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'll cheer for him again, since I won't be worried that if he scores or plays okay he's going to get more playing time.

At his best, a great #9 who was a threat but didn't clog things up for others and a better than decent playmaker for a striker. Individually, the thing I'll always wonder about is if Ferguson had benched Hernandez and played Rooney up top against Barca in the 2011 CL final. I really think that Vidic and Rio might have been able to hold out with enough protection, and Rooney might have been able to be the difference maker going forward in a CL final, which few can say.

I'm sure most would have Van Nistelrooy as the 9 on Fergie's best team, but I'm pretty sure the other attackers would have rather had prime Rooney up top...
Don't get me started on that game. So much wrong with our team that day.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He dropped off wildly the last 2 years, even a couple of years before that it was obvious he was declining. Easy to forget he's only 31, feels like he's been stinking up the place forever.

That said, if he is off this week then I have nothing but respect for his spell overall. He was absolutely immense at his peak, the 2010 season was my personal favourite. In my opinion he realised his potential that year, the best striker in the world for me. Cheers Wayne.

wolvored

We can say thanks for the (good) memories, but thanks for leaving now. Providing its true hes off of course

Oldyella

Believe it when it happens..

I wonder how Everton fans feel about this one though? Yes he is a local lad but they have given him a ton of abuse over the years. I cannot see him having the impact P Neville had there either, in terms of professionalism and training etc.

Oggmonster

Believe it when it happens..

I wonder how Everton fans feel about this one though? Yes he is a local lad but they have given him a ton of abuse over the years. I cannot see him having the impact P Neville had there either, in terms of professionalism and training etc.
Football fans are fickle. United fans used to call him a fat bastard, City fans gave Tevez abuse the list goes on. They won't be arsed about his past if he rejoins them. I'm pretty sure he played in a testimonial there a while ago and got a good reception as well.

Rusholme Ruffian

Football fans are fickle. United fans used to call him a fat bastard, City fans gave Tevez abuse the list goes on. They won't be arsed about his past if he rejoins them. I'm pretty sure he played in a testimonial there a while ago and got a good reception as well.
I think it depends upon how he is used. If he arrives, is used as squad member, knuckles down and works hard I expect he'll be well received. If his contract stipulates playing a certain amount of minutes (not completely inconceivable given the world cup coming up) and he flatters to deceive I think they'll turn on him pretty quickly. It's one thing supporting a club legend that is coming to the end of their career when they have given their whole career to you (e.g. Gary Nev) but I doubt they'll be particularly forgiving of him given that he left them at such an early age and gave the best years of his career to another club.

For the record my dad is an Evertonian and he could not give a monkeys about Rooney coming back.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
The realisation that Rooney won't be a United player again just dawned on me. This guy signed for us when i was at the height of my United love. I got his shirt printed with number 8 before he was even announced. He was an incredible young talent and to think all those years have now come to an end is quite saddening for me. An end of an era.

The time is right for him to move on and he has been pretty useless the past few seasons, but a small part of my united love dies when he leaves.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The realisation that Rooney won't be a United player again just dawned on me. This guy signed for us when i was at the height of my United love. I got his shirt printed with number 8 before he was even announced. He was an incredible young talent and to think all those years have now come to an end is quite saddening for me. An end of an era.

The time is right for him to move on and he has been pretty useless the past few seasons, but a small part of my united love dies when he leaves.
My thoughts exactly. I wish it would have been different but i am happy for him, going to Everton is probably the best thing he can do, lets hope he can rise to the occasion, his level in the last seasons was even below whats required at Everton.

And I wish more people would understand the immense contribution he made while playing for us. Legend!

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Let's see if Mourinho allows him to go, if Woodward doesn't buy him a substitute. We're missing Zlatan's sub already, mind you.

Von Mistelroum

Don't believe a word of this until it happens. I can't imagine Everton wanting him as he is now. Can't really see him being worth signing for any PL team tbh.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Don't believe a word of this until it happens. I can't imagine Everton wanting him as he is now. Can't really see him being worth signing for any PL team tbh.
Not on current form, no. They're taking a punt on him finding some element of good form. He's still only 31, lest we forget, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he actually performs to a fairly decent standard, at least good enough to shine for a mid table club such as Everton.

It's also a shot to nothing when you consider the fact that he's joining them on a free. Football clubs have taken worse punts than this over the years, United included.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Think of all the money they'll make in hot dog sales. And then there's the sales to the fans.

MarchingOn

Perfect timing really. We shed his wages, use it to strengthen the squad and replace him with a big name signing.

Between his wages and Zlatan's (who I'm sure was making even more than Rooney) we have another 30+ million off the books to spend this window.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Didn't bother with the rooney to everton it was 1/3, but put £100 on lukaku to us at 5/1. Which is nice. If you want to know this week's lottery numbers, just give me a shout :D
Cough up those lotto numbers Mr Reddy! :D

AndersB

I absolutely love Rooney and what he has done for the club. That being said, have you ever seen such rapid declines from really big players at big PL clubs? He has gone from absolutely unstoppable at his peak - fast, powerful, explosive - to a point where he should now struggle to get gametime for any PL team (imo). I just can't see that happening very often

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I absolutely love Rooney and what he has done for the club. That being said, have you ever seen such rapid declines from really big players at big PL clubs? He has gone from absolutely unstoppable at his peak - fast, powerful, explosive - to a point where he should now struggle to get gametime for any PL team (imo). I just can't see that happening very often
Happened a lot quicker with Torres and Shevchenko I think. Rooney's been fading since 2012 IMO, it's been drawn out over five years, the last two-three in particular being especially dismal.

Status
Not open for further replies.