Rooting for Leeds

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I'm delighted they went down. That was the icing on the cake today.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I know it's Leeds but that doesn't sound very good

cyberman

Simon Jordan on TS doing his usual acting dumb routine over this when it reflects badly on football business. Only then you need all the facts.
Football ownership in this country needs a vast overhaul

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Must admit that as satisfying as it is to see their feral fans upset at getting relegated, I will look forward to our games vs Burnley or Sheffield United a lot less than Leeds games. The atmosphere at Old Trafford is electric whenever we play them. Wouldn't mind seeing them in the PL again in a few years, maybe after their fans have suffered a couple of playoff final losses first.

Agree with this. I hate Leeds and their fans and although funny seeing them go down, it's a great fixture. They really do hate us and I'm gutted I didn't get in the away end at Elland Road to experience it.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Agree with this. I hate Leeds and their fans and although funny seeing them go down, it's a great fixture. They really do hate us and I'm gutted I didn't get in the away end at Elland Road to experience it.
You'd be more gutted if you had

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Simon Jordan on TS doing his usual acting dumb routine over this when it reflects badly on football business. Only then you need all the facts.
Football ownership in this country needs a vast overhaul
I don't think I've ever agreed with a single opinion from Simon Jordan. It's like they appoint him to just be contrarian to reason and common sense. He's a pantomime villain of talk radio.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I don't think I've ever agreed with a single opinion from Simon Jordan. It's like they appoint him to just be contrarian to reason and common sense. He's a pantomime villain of talk radio.
Can't stand his patter. Too full of himself and talks over people far too often. If he's such an intelligent fella why is he spending his days on a talk show and doing podcasts?

wolvored

Yes he owned Palace for a time and hes now footballs guru in his head. Knows all the fancy words, talks over anyone talking sense. Complete nob

Loon

:lol:
What with Ridsdale and this dude, they've had some special ones haven't they?

Oscar Bonavena

Where exactly did Leeds' visceral hatred of United come from? I know we challenged each other for a few titles in the 60s but it's hardly just that, is it?

Or we signed a few Leeds players over the years, but they got a few from us too.

And it wasn't signing Cantona because they hated us long before then!

It just seems a bit unhinged and disproportionate. Maybe it's an ego thing for them, being self-proclaimed bitter rivals with United makes them more relevant or something!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Where exactly did Leeds' visceral hatred of United come from? I know we challenged each other for a few titles in the 60s but it's hardly just that, is it?

Or we signed a few Leeds players over the years, but they got a few from us too.

And it wasn't signing Cantona because they hated us long before then!

It just seems a bit unhinged and disproportionate. Maybe it's an ego thing for them, being self-proclaimed bitter rivals with United makes them more relevant or something!
Some attribute it with the war of the roses, Lancashire vs Yorkshire, red vs white, but there might be something mythical about that. Historically I think the hatred was equal though. It seemed to kick into gear post-war in the Busby and Revie eras of the clubs (with Revie earning Leeds their "dirty Leeds" nickname). I don't think the rivalry was disproportionate from the 60's to the start of the PL (they won more titles than we did between '68 to '91 and were much better than we were in the 70s), but certainly became disproportionate when we kept winning , and they didn't.

I guess geographically it makes sense. There was a rivalry between the cities from an industrial aspect, with Manchester being the closest major city to them. It's fizzled a bit, but still makes more sense than Stoke considering us one of their most hated rivals.

I spent a fair bit of my childhood in WY, so even though they've been largely irrelevant for a long time, I still can't stand them. Glad they're gone, for a bit at least.

Maticmaker

Some attribute it with the war of the roses, Lancashire vs Yorkshire, red vs white, but there might be something mythical about that. Historically I think the hatred was equal though. It seemed to kick into gear post-war in the Busby and Revie eras of the clubs (with Revie earning Leeds their "dirty Leeds" nickname). I don't think the rivalry was disproportionate from the 60's to the start of the PL (they won more titles than we did between '68 to '91 and were much better than we were in the 70s), but certainly became disproportionate when we kept winning , and they didn't.

I guess geographically it makes sense. There was a rivalry between the cities from an industrial aspect, with Manchester being the closest major city to them. It's fizzled a bit, but still makes more sense than Stoke considering us one of their most hated rivals.

I spent a fair bit of my childhood in WY, so even though they've been largely irrelevant for a long time, I still can't stand them. Glad they're gone, for a bit at least.
Yes, this all makes sense, the Lancashire/Yorkshire thing is pertinent historically and often gets linked to the 'wars of the roses' etc. Jokes like "the only good thing to come out of Yorkshire/Lancashire (whichever) is the M62" has been the lighter side. However, for some Leeds fans the hatred is palpable. At one time when Leeds fans were travelling to Manchester over the lower Pennines, local towns and in particular any railway stations on route had extra Police mobilised, and Police helicopters followed the fans all the way to OT.
Certainly, the Busby/Revie era fired things up, more for Leeds than us, even though Leeds got Johnny Giles (Nobby Stiles brother-in-law) from Busby, and who went on to be one of their best ever players. However, many more players leaving Leeds for Manchester often came off the best.
The closeness of the two cities although split by a famous border, often gave the feeling of a 'derby' rivalry, more so for Leeds.

I can enjoy 'banter' with other fans, even City and Liverpool, but not with Leeds fans, friendly banter just does not seem to happen.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yes, this all makes sense, the Lancashire/Yorkshire thing is pertinent historically and often gets linked to the 'wars of the roses' etc. Jokes like "the only good thing to come out of Yorkshire/Lancashire (whichever) is the M62" has been the lighter side. However for some Leeds fans the hatred is palpable. At one time when Leeds fans were travelling to Manchester over the lower Pennines, local towns and in particular any railway stations on route had extra Police mobilised, and Police helicopters followed the fans all the way to OT.
Certainly the Busby/Revie era fired things up, more for Leeds than us, even though Leeds got Johnny Giles (Nobby Stiles brother-in-law) from Busby, and who went on to be one of their best ever players. However many more players leaving Leeds for Manchester often came of the best.
The closeness of the two cities although split by a famous border, often gave the feeling of a 'derby' rivalry, more so for Leeds.

I can enjoy 'banter' with other fans, even City and Liverpool, but not with Leeds fans, friendly banter just does not seem to happen.
Same. I'm sure they exist, but I don't personally know a Leeds fan who isn't a massive arsehole, I've got friends I grew up with who were Liverpool and City fans who are mostly good lads.

Back in school when I was living in West Yorks, a bunch of us in our year used to have games of football at lunchtime, Leeds fans versus everyone else. During those games, 3 lads on our team got their legs broken by the Leeds supporter lot, all within a few months of each other. They were just brawls, with a football loosely involved. We'd had enough of it and broke away from them, and had United vs Liverpool games instead. They were much friendlier, and much less violent. It certainly made me hate Leeds more than Liverpool growing up.

Somehow I'm still facebook friends with one of the Leeds lads who did one of the leg breaks. He posts on facebook like he's part of some sort of group of Leeds Ultras, and says frequently - without a hint of irony - that Leeds have "the hardest fans in Europe" (how could anyone even measure that?). This man is 37 years old.

We occasionally got free Leeds tickets through the football club I was playing for back then, so I went to Elland Road a couple of times. One of the games I went to was vs Nottingham Forest, mid/late 90s. Leeds went 1-3 down, so started singing songs about Munich and about how they were going to murder Eric Cantona. Lovely.

Weirdest fanbase I've encountered.