Rooting for Leeds

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’ve noticed that I have absolutely no problem wanting Leeds to win this season. They can take point off our rivals (in theory, pity they’re so shit against good teams) and they’re good to watch. Plus consistently miles below us in the table and rolled over pathetically when we played them. So rooting for them comes easy to me.

This is partly because I was very young the last time Leeds were serious rivals in the same leagues as us. Mainly because I’m not from Manchester. However, I am aware that this would be a mortal sin for a hell of a lot of our match-going fans (100% of our away fans?)

Is anyone else feeling a bit weird/guilty about how easy it is to root for Leeds this season?

Last edited:

Teja

Never really known the Leeds vs United rivalry either, but run into the occasional idiot on Twitter.

Overall, Bielsa seems like a good / principled guy and they play some very good football, so hard to hate.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Can we delete this thread and pretend it never happened?

Eire Red United

Wouldn’t bother me, probably because they were never relevant as far as I remember. I know most fans of a certain age hate them.

They play good attacking football and are a good laugh too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, we have some morality.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Dirty Leeds. Good to have them back and hope they beat all of the teams around us but they can get fecked, as far as I know.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I know I should hate Leeds and there fan base is not great at all but Bielsa is a great guy and the actually side these days is honest and plays good football. It is not the days of David Batty, Mark Viduka and Harry Kewell

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
All about Bielsa. But I'm with you. Now though, I'd rather Jesse bag more goals and raise his value further.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
It's an unfortunate series of events as Bielsa is probably my favourite manager currently, Stuart Dallas my favourite player and I've also took a serious liking to Raphinha for someone United could potentially target. I'd imagine when fans are allowed back in I'll take an instant dislike to the club again

Red Star One

I'm too young to remember the peak of Leeds vs United rivalry but I still dislike them with passion - not even FPL points from their players or Bielsa's nice manner can change that!

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
They will smash up the away end at OT first time they're allowed back and someone will bump this thread.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
That’ll be way too late. I’ll already be the proud owner of a half and half scarf.
I'm aware you are willingly ignoring the fan culture aspect of the rivalry here and focusing elsewhere.

But yes, even the gentile nature of this forum will quickly change opinion I reckon when their supporters get back in.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I went to school in West Yorkshire in the 90s, so I'll definitely not be rooting for Leeds in any circumstance other than one that directly benefits us.

Every fanbase has its fair share of wankers, but Leeds have a knack of having a far bigger proportion of wankers than just about any other club.

simplyared

They're 2-0 down at West Ham and I'm rooting and hoping they can at least scrape a point out of it. Never thought I'd ever like Leeds after that Revie side of the late 60's and 70's.

I’ve noticed that I have absolutely no problem wanting Leeds to win this season. They can take point off our rivals (in theory, pity they’re so shit against good teams) and they’re good to watch. Plus consistently miles below us in the table and rolled over pathetically when we played them. So rooting for them comes easy to me.

This is partly because I was very young the last time Leeds were serious rivals in the same leagues as us. Mainly because I’m not from Manchester. However, I am aware that this would be a mortal sin for a hell of a lot of our match-going fans (100% of our away fans?)

Is anyone else feeling a bit weird/guilty about how easy it is to root for Leeds this season?
leeds can take points off of Liverpool and City. Otherwise, my hope would be that they get relegated on 12 points.

FizzyWomack

What on earth is wrong with some of you? Root for Leeds? Are you fecking joking!

I work with them, they laugh about Munich, throw around racist comments, absolute scum!

Some of you in here need a good hiding for this root for Leeds shiet, get your fecking selfs together.

Besides all of that, you do not root for your rivals.

Jesus.

Reactions: Sultan

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
What on earth is wrong with some of you? Root for Leeds? Are you fecking joking!

I work with them, they laugh about Munich, throw around racist comments, absolute scum!

Some of you in here need a good hiding for this root for Leeds shiet, get your fecking selfs together.
I really appreciate the anger in this reply. Good man. Dirty Leeds.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anyone else rooting for City?

croadyman

Only time I would root for them is if benefits Utd in the league definitely no other time

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Away from the rivalry side of things — I just don’t particularly like them because of how the media seem to be in adulation at every single thing Marcelo Bielsa does.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Genuinely dislike them more than any other team.

Chairman Steve

They can be just as bad as the worst of the scousers. It’s just that it’s been almost 15 years since they’ve been that relevant to Utd.

Ludens the Red

I have to say I’m disappointed in you @Pogue Mahone and would like to withdraw my nomination I made for you in the awards thread.
I’d expect this shit from Sammsky or someone.

Djemba-Djemba

Besides all of that, you do not root for your rivals.

Jesus.
This.

Leeds fans are the absolute fecking worst, nobody hates Utd more than Leeds fans. They genuinely get more joy out of us losing than them winning. They're miles worse than even Liverpool fans.

Crazy for any Utd fan to be rooting for them.