Rory Smith on managerial paths to the top - New York Times

kclord

Marcelo Gallardo has the sort of managerial résumé that should make him irresistible to most, if not all, of Europe’s elite clubs. He has been in his current post for seven years, long enough to prove he is no mercenary, flickering brightly and briefly before moving on elsewhere. He has demonstrated that he can cope with the deepest pressure and the loftiest expectations. He has shown that he can ride the political currents that swirl around any major club. He has learned to work on a (relative) budget. Most of all, he has won. He has won over and over again. At River Plate, Gallardo has collected a dozen major trophies as a manager. He has won two continental championships, and come within two minutes of a third. One of his predecessors at the Buenos Aires club, Ramon Díaz, has described him as the greatest coach in the team’s history.

It is not hard to understand, then, why Gallardo’s name is frequently linked with Europe’s great houses — most recently with the vacancy created by Barcelona’s decision to end Ronald Koeman's loveless 14-month tenure. That the speculation never seems to coalesce into anything, that there always seems to be a preferred candidate that is not him, requires a little further explanation.

Several of Europe’s most illustrious teams have, in recent years, appointed managers who made — by traditional metrics — little or no sense. Some of them have been successful: Zinedine Zidane, for example, won three Champions League titles in three years at Real Madrid, despite finding himself in his first coaching job.

And some of them have, well, turned out a little differently. Andrea Pirlo was appointed Juventus manager around three weeks after being given his first coaching role, in charge of the club’s under-23 side. He had never taken charge of an official game. He was dismissed after a single season. Frank Lampard lasted a little longer at Chelsea. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is still clinging on, somehow, at Manchester United. A variety of factors have gone into that trend. One, of course, is the desire — shared by almost every major team — to find and nurture its own version of Pep Guardiola. Those searches are rooted in the widespread delusion that, at every club, there is some revolutionary genius lurking somewhere in the shadows, waiting for the chance to transform the game as we know it.

There is, too, a cynical calculation at play. Iconic former players have always been fast-tracked into management, aided by a belief, one that can withstand even a flood of evidence, that their talent can be passed on, and also abetted by a knowledge among executives that appointing a club legend generates instant good will and — more precious still — patience among fans.

But perhaps the biggest shift is in what the superclubs regard as relevant prior experience. A track record of success in management is no longer, strictly speaking, necessary. Or, rather, a particular stripe of success is no longer regarded as valid, because what constitutes success is so difficult to measure. Instead, much more important is a knowledge of how these giant, sprawling temples of self-importance work, a sense of being comfortable within them, a feeling of belonging. It is that change that has deprived Gallardo, and many coaches like him, of a chance. And it has given the superclubs something of a problem. There was, at some point in the dim and distant past, a distinct ladder for a manager to climb. A coach would start at some lower rung on the ladder — either as an assistant or at a smaller team — and slowly prove their worth. They might win promotion to the top division, take a smaller team on a European run, turn a contender into a champion. Then, and only then, would the superclubs strike. It is the approach that took Jürgen Klopp from Mainz to Borussia Dortmund and then on to Liverpool. It is how Carlo Ancelotti went from Reggiana to Parma to Juventus and on to almost every other major team in Europe. It is how Mauricio Pochettino made it from Espanyol to Southampton to Tottenham and then, after a brief break, to Paris St.-Germain. All of them took one club to another level, and were rewarded with a step up themselves.

This is the mechanism that should, now, promote Gallardo. He is ready for it. He has more than proved his worth on one rung. But there is an overriding sensation that it does not quite work like that anymore, that the rules of the game have changed, and that, all of a sudden, everything he has done does not count. And it does not count because of where he has done it.

All of Gallardo’s success, so far, has come in South America. He won a league championship with Nacional in Uruguay and was rewarded with a post at River Plate, one of the biggest clubs in the world by anyone’s standards, an environment as impatient and demanding and expectant as anywhere. There, he has twice delivered the Copa Libertadores.
But while Europe’s major clubs have no problem appointing Argentines — several of Gallardo’s countrymen work in high-profile posts in European soccer, including Pochettino and Atlético Madrid’s Diego Simeone — they have long felt that success does not easily translate to the Old World.

Occasionally, that fear has been well-placed: Carlos Bianchi turned first Vélez Sarsfield and then Boca Juniors into the finest teams in Latin America, but struggled to make an impact at Roma and then, a decade later, at Atlético. Others, like Marcelo Bielsa, have made the leap a little more easily. That skepticism, though, no longer applies just to South Americans. Europe’s superclubs increasingly see an ocean all around them. Gallardo is not the only coach who might, by now, have expected to receive the call from one of the game’s giants. He is not the only one who has built a body of work that should make him a compelling candidate. There is Erik ten Hag, the Ajax coach, who has turned his club into a powerhouse in the Netherlands and is on the verge of his second deep run in the Champions League. There is Rúben Amorim, a decade or so younger, who has already ended Sporting Lisbon’s two-decade wait for a Portuguese title. There is Marco Rose, who has risen from Red Bull Salzburg to Borussia Mönchengladbach and then Dortmund.
These are the coaches Barcelona or Manchester United should be looking to appoint now. They are the coaches Real Madrid or Juventus might have approached in the summer. They are, most likely, the next big things.

Instead, Barcelona is hopeful of replacing Koeman with Xavi Hernández, less for his stint at Al Sadd in the Qatar Stars League than for his emotional connection with the club. Manchester United has vowed to stand by Solskjaer; if and when it changes its mind, it is expected to go for Antonio Conte or Pochettino, persuaded by their proven success.

Both Barcelona and United are, at least, exhibiting more imagination than either Real Madrid or Juventus: When their positions came up a few months ago, both handed them back to managers they had already fired. Ancelotti returned to Real Madrid — taking over from Zidane, himself on his second stint — and, two years after the club declared itself ready to move on from him, Massimiliano Allegri was restored at Juventus. This is not just a lack of foresight; it is a self-inflicted inability to read meaning into a manager’s achievement. The elite clubs have believed — rightly or wrongly, but certainly logically — for some time that the only reliable guide to a manager’s suitability is previous experience at that level. That is why, for example, Eddie Howe’s success with Bournemouth was not deemed enough to get him a job at Liverpool or Arsenal. He might have proved his ability in the Premier League, but that was of secondary relevance to demonstrating an aptitude at Borussia Dortmund or Sevilla, teams that compete in the Champions League and have budgets and pressures to match. The issue is that the game has become so stratified, so quickly, that the pool of clubs deemed suitable hunting grounds has withered to almost nothing. The elite are now so vast, so powerful, that only a few teams can serve as a reasonable approximation.

Certainly, there is nowhere outside Europe’s major leagues, which counts against Ten Hag, Amorim and Gallardo, and within those competitions there are only a handful: the Milan clubs, perhaps; probably Dortmund; possibly Lyon and Marseille. And even then, it is not entirely clear what a manager would have to do to stand out. Klopp’s star rose when he led Borussia Dortmund to the Bundesliga title in successive campaigns. Rafa Benítez shot to prominence by making Valencia champion of Spain. José Mourinho captured the imagination by winning the Champions League with F.C. Porto. The game, in 2021, has been shaped to mitigate against repeats of all of those achievements. If Rose takes Dortmund to second place behind Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga, is that success, or is it simply meeting expectations? What does it mean if Ajax wins the Eredivisie, again? Is it failure if Amorim’s Sporting is eliminated in the group phase of the Champions League, or is all of this nothing more than economic determinism? How can any of this be parsed?

It leaves the elite teams in a peculiar Catch-22: They want to employ managers with the right sort of experience, but the only way those managers can get that experience is by being employed. Still, it is hard to feel too much pity for the superclubs: They are the ones, after all, who have done so much to distort soccer’s reality in their favor.
Far more deserving of sympathy are the coaches, like Gallardo, who find themselves trapped by a game whose rules have shifted underneath them. He, like the others, has done all he can. He has twice conquered a continent. He has built an irresistible résumé, only to be told that he has done it all in the wrong place.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/29/sports/soccer/barcelona-koeman-united-solskjaer.html

I thought this was an interesting opinion on how the ladder to managerial success has changed, and how elite European clubs seem to be a bit myopic when looking for a new manager. Ten Hag, Eddie Howe, and OGS are mentioned. The needs for instant success, and difficulty in comparing experience with the Copa Libertadores against the Champions League, for example, mean that experienced managers are not given opportunities that may have come more easily 15 years ago.

What do you all think?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What he's saying is something I've long wanted us to do. He mentions Gallardo, ten Hag, Marco Rose and Ruben Amorim who are all coaches with a defined way of playing the game, both on and off the ball, which is pleasing on the eye and a style which is aligned with the modern game. There's also quite a few more names I could add to that list.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/29/sports/soccer/barcelona-koeman-united-solskjaer.html

I thought this was an interesting opinion on how the ladder to managerial success has changed, and how elite European clubs seem to be a bit myopic when looking for a new manager. Ten Hag, Eddie Howe, and OGS are mentioned. The needs for instant success, and difficulty in comparing experience with the Copa Libertadores against the Champions League, for example, mean that experienced managers are not given opportunities that may have come more easily 15 years ago.

What do you all think?
I'm not sure I agree with any of the assumptions, but Gallardo is a very interesting candidate. Mentioned him the other day and someone said he doesn't speak English. Anyhow, whether or not that's true, this article seems to indicate that he's not getting a look in, my assumption would be that he's not desperate to leave and has not been knocking on doors to do so. Barcelona isn't the only club in Europe he can join. I doubt clubs fighting for CL qualification, for example, in Spain or wherever is feasible, would all turn him down if it was known he's very open to move.

The suggestion that Barcelona and United should hire ten Hag, Rose or Amorim now fails to account for United's utter lack of succession planning and footballing vision, and Barcelona's very particular financial situation (Xavi may help placate the fans), with the added factor that Rose has only just joined a big club and ten Hag won't leave midseason.

The Eddie Howe bit...can you really place him in such esteemed company? Not in my book.

It seems to me to be a piece where the conclusion is being supported with anecdotal evidence which is shaky.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I find Rory Smith a very insightful writer. Almost singlehandedly makes my NYTimes subscription worthwhile (against the cesspool that's Brooks, Douthat, Friedman...)

I've long argued that the "traditional metrics" used to evaluate managers don't hold up under any level of scrutiny. And I absolutely agree that clubs today use little more than inaccurate heuristics to gauge the viability of potential managers; it's only frustrating when posters on here buy into the bullshit about a manager needing to "work his way up the ranks". There are enough exceptions to disprove that rule.

That said, it's hard to argue with the proposition of what more the likes of Gallardo or Howe need to do, in order to get a chance at a bigger club. Maybe singlehandedly rid the game of nepotism and laziness in reaching into the carousel of recently fired managers that can yet do a job?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's an interesting point and makes a certain amount of sense.

Logically if you accept the premise that the top clubs are growing ever-further apart from the rest then it follows that it becomes harder for managers at the rest to prove they're good enough for a top club. We talk about managers making the step-up to a club like United but the bigger that step gets the harder it is to see who'll make it.

Even in our current debates you see people talking about hiring "proven winners", which is a phrase that doesn't actually mean anything as any manager who wins anything is a proven winner and all proven winners stop winning. But even then you can only become a proven winner if you get a chance at a club that gives you the opportunity to win things, which a lot of teams don't. And in a lot of cases the things you win may not be applicable to a top club. Even forgetting other leagues, how much does an FA Cup or League Cup win really mean if you're judging whether someone is potentially a PL or CL winning manager?

Of course the solution would be to do a deep assessment of how a manager's team actually plays. Instead of relying on them to achieve something first, take a detailed look at the specifics of how their team plays and how they manage it and try to decide if that will translate up the ladder. But doing that takes a lot more football knowledge and insight than just looking at who wins the trophies at the end of every season.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Liverpool and Chelsea both had managers who started as player manager, so literally no managerial experience and at huge clubs. Dalglish, Souness, Hoddle, Vialli, Di Matteo. Pep and Zidane aren't the only ones who've done it, so not all managers used to go up through the levels.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's an interesting point and makes a certain amount of sense.

Logically if you accept the premise that the top clubs are growing ever-further apart from the rest then it follows that it becomes harder for managers at the rest to prove they're good enough for a top club. We talk about managers making the step-up to a club like United but the bigger that step gets the harder it is to see who'll make it.

Even in our current debates you see people talking about hiring "proven winners", which is a phrase that doesn't actually mean anything as any manager who wins anything is a proven winner and all proven winners stop winning. But even then you can only become a proven winner if you get a chance at a club that gives you the opportunity to win things, which a lot of teams don't. And in a lot of cases the things you win may not be applicable to a top club. Even forgetting other leagues, how much does an FA Cup or League Cup win really mean if you're judging whether someone is potentially a PL or CL winning manager?

Of course the solution would be to do a deep assessment of how a manager's team actually plays. Instead of relying on them to achieve something first, take a detailed look at the specifics of how their team plays and how they manage it and try to decide if that will translate up the ladder. But doing that takes a lot more football knowledge and insight than just looking at who wins the trophies at the end of every season.
It's a fair criticism. For example I look at this team and think we need a progressive tactical coach/teacher more than anything. Someone who would modernise the way we play. But at the same time I can't harshly blame people for thinking that Conte who is one of the very best managers in world football and in the same company as the likes of Klopp and way above Tuchel as a manager (achievement wise), should be brought in as having the best does have huge merits. I mean, it's not like any talented coach, no matter how willing, can be a Conte. They can't walk in and start a near decade domination at a Juve. Walk in and beat Pep and Klopp to the title
Walk in and win Inters first serie A is ages. So yes, quality is quality and hence people wanting the best can be expected. At the same time like you're saying, one should be more open minded although it's not the natural instict.

SparkedIntoLife

What he's saying is something I've long wanted us to do. He mentions Gallardo, ten Hag, Marco Rose and Ruben Amorim who are all coaches with a defined way of playing the game, both on and off the ball, which is pleasing on the eye and a style which is aligned with the modern game. There's also quite a few more names I could add to that list.
Would be curious to hear who you have in mind please?

Teja

The market optimizes ruthlessly. If someone's overlooking talent (for players or managers) intentionally or unintentionally, someone will find that advantage and be ready to pounce on it. This is especially true with the volumes of data we have.

I don't believe one example makes the case that something inherently changed with how managers are recruited. No idea who Gallardo is and why he isn't being hired right at this very minute, but if he does have the talent and willingness to move, I'm sure someone will take the chance.

Poch and Klopp are hardly ancient history, they've made their success in recent years (<5). Closer to home, it's Graham Potter going from Sweden to Swansea to the PL with Brighton. I don't believe a new trend to manager recruitment has become dominant across Europe's top clubs in five years. Even Koeman to Barcelona was an example of someone climbing the pyramid (Dutch teams incl Ajax -> Southampton -> Everton -> Netherlands -> Barca)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Would be curious to hear who you have in mind please?
I'll give you 3 names, with one who I feel would be more than ready to come straight into our team and the other two being Managers who we should keep a eye on. I've watched football over the years and have felt that certain Managers get chances at big clubs for not doing anything outstanding and other Managers do better but don't get the same opportunity at a big club. I've written about Marco Rose, Nageslmann in the past but the below names are probably not well known and are Managers who are either up and coming or a Manager who I feel deserves a chance at a big club.

1. Arne Slot: He's a young up and coming 42 year old coach at Feyenoord who has shown a high level of understanding of the modern game when it comes to implementation of a strategy on the pitch. His teams have been well coached in dominating the ball whilst applying aggressive pressures in a structured approached which has seen them adopt a inverted fullback strategy at times to open up extra passing options and provide defensive balance when using a single pivot at AZ Alkmaar. He's also shown the ability to organise his team when it comes to high level interchangeability where I've often seen things like a RB step into the #10 role whilst the #10 drifts towards the vacated half space on the right to maintain balance which causes confusion amongst opposition ranks due to the fluid nature and organisation of Slot's team which is very impressive due to it being very difficult/complex to implement. His teams look to dominate and control games on and off the ball in a very structured approach with offensive and defensive lines extremely well spaced, especially in offensive transition. His teams also apply pressure aggressively but the advantage he enjoys here is that his heavy emphasis on controlling possesion gives his team a rest phase and doesn't tire his team out too easily trying to win the ball back. He's someone that we should keep a eye on IMO. It seems he's taken a side ways step by joining Feyenoord from AZ, but having said that, Feyenoord are a Dutch giant that needs re-awakening, and Arne Slot is someone who may just help them do that playing a very exciting brand of football that places a heavy emphasis on possesion and verticality.

2. Gerardo Seoane: 43 year old Swiss Coach who is currently at Bayer Leverkusen is another up and coming coach who I feel we should keep a eye on. He implements a style of play that is very similar to what we see from Klopp and Marco Rose. A style that looks to impose a fast transition, high tempo/high intensity play-style with and without the ball with pressing triggers off the ball to funnel the opposition out wide to spring a pressing trap in a area where you can limit the pass options for the opposition and cause a numerical advantage in the quest to win the ball back. On the ball the aim is to transition play quickly, especially after winning the ball back, with quick, rapid, vertical passes through the lines which destroy the opposition defensive structure and create a big chance with minimal amount of passes. The issue with this style is that it can tire out teams very quickly due to there rarely being a controlled rest phase, which is something both Seoane and Rose need to evolve in their tactics/strategy to avoid burning their players out which has happened. Seoane was at Young Boys before he joined Leverkusen and had impressive results against teams like Juventus who had Ronaldo in their ranks. But he also came up against ten Hag and his Ajax team, and in that game his team's press was easily bypassed by Ajax and which resulted in their two midfielders having far too much space in midfield which meant Ajax ran out winners comfortably whilst Seoane and his team had run out of steam at the 60 minute mark against a team who broke their high press, implemented their own high press and had a controlled rest phase on the ball, which is a hallmark of ten Hag and his team's ability to control the game on the ball, similar to the less experienced Arne Slot. So this is something I feel Seoane needs to evolve at to circumvent burn out in his team by having a controlled rest phase. Klopp seems to have evolved in that regard. But Seoane is someone to keep a eye on.

3. Adi Hütter: The Austrian coach who is now 51, has been on a upward trajectory ever since he first coached the youth team at Salzburg, which followed a stint at little known altach in Austria's second tier where his exciting brand of football was the talk of the town. He got them to 3rd and 2nd in his two years there, before he took the job at Grödig and got them promoted playing a brand of football that was exciting to watch and he followed that up by getting them into Europe the following season. He was then hired by Ralf Rangnick at Red Bull Salzburg where he implemented a high tempo 4-4-2 formation which made Salzburg one of the most exciting attacking machines in Europe. He was hugely successful at Salzburg but left the club after the club kept selling players like Mane, Kampfl, keeper, forwards etc which he took isdue to. He then went and joined Young Boys Bern and the mission was to win the league which the club hadn't achieved for 30 years. In two years he ended over three decades of hurt by winning the league title with Young Boys who were perennial under achievers and called bottle jobs. And he did that by implementing a style of play which was described as 'enthralling' and he was regarded as one of the finest tacticians in the game. He also went to Frankfurt in Germany where he's revered and has had to juggle staying competitive whilst the club sell off several of the team he has developed. But even then he recovered and made Frankfurt competitive again playing a brand of football that is exciting to watch. He's currently at Gladbach which is a tough job where there's a clear ceiling on how far you can progress as a coach. But he did smash Bayern and Nagelsmann 5-0 in the Cup last week. But he's a coach that's exceeded expectations everywhere he's been. If he was Italian, he'd have multiple scudettos to his name imo. Because they give you a chance at the top clubs there.

For me the best candidates for the job are Hutter, ten Hag, Potter. Choosing one of the three would be a decision that would be the best for the club IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

SparkedIntoLife

Thank you @Adnan. Very interesting. I remember watching the documentary Trainer! a few years ago and was stunned at the sophistication within the German coaching ranks. I also watched the Salford City documentary around the same time and found their two managers at the time incredibly primitive with their "get into 'em, feck 'em up" rhetoric. Thankfully, it seems that English coaching is slowly modernising. The Germans, Spanish, Swiss, Italians, Dutch and Austrians in particular are still far ahead of us though. I'm curious about Bonner at Cambridge and Lowe at Plymouth.

Ten Hag is my preferred option at present but, to borrow a cliche, I worry he lacks the gravitas required for a club like United (no disrespect to Ajax, who are greatly scrutinised but there's much more pressure at OT). We should've secured Klopp or Nagelsmann years ago :( Hopefully, with our next appointment, we don't miss out on the next top coach, whether it's Ten Hag, Hutter, Seoane, Alonso, Galtier, Jaissle, Amorim, Gallardo or whoever.

Snuffkin

That said, I wouldn't call Barcelona's appointment of Xavi myopic. They have a long tradition of appointing "unproven" managers to that role.
They also have a tradition of appointing world class players. Until recently. Pogba could sign for them in the summer but he's hardly been class at United.
In England dealing with the press and controlling the narrative is the difference between success and failure.
Very few even attempt to do it. Neither Klopp or Pep for all their man management talent and good touchline presence manipulate the media or spend hours writing the programme notes in order to gain a psychological advantage. Only Mourinho and Ferguson have dabbled in that risky game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thank you @Adnan. Very interesting. I remember watching the documentary Trainer! a few years ago and was stunned at the sophistication within the German coaching ranks. I also watched the Salford City documentary around the same time and found their two managers at the time incredibly primitive with their "get into 'em, feck 'em up" rhetoric. Thankfully, it seems that English coaching is slowly modernising. The Germans, Spanish, Swiss, Italians, Dutch and Austrians in particular are still far ahead of us though. I'm curious about Bonner at Cambridge and Lowe at Plymouth.

Ten Hag is my preferred option at present but, to borrow a cliche, I worry he lacks the gravitas required for a club like United (no disrespect to Ajax, who are greatly scrutinised but there's much more pressure at OT). We should've secured Klopp or Nagelsmann years ago :( Hopefully, with our next appointment, we don't miss out on the next top coach, whether it's Ten Hag, Hutter, Seoane, Alonso, Galtier, Jaissle, Amorim, Gallardo or whoever.
We have fallen behind countries like Spain, Holland and Germany etc when it comes to having a vision and applying that vision with a specific brand of football in mind. In those countries they give chances to their up and coming coaches at big clubs. Take Antonio Conte for example, he had a topsy turvy career before Juve gave him the Head Coach's role. He struggled at Arrezo, got promoted with Bari, had a disaster at Atalanta, where he lost the dressing room and the fans even tried attacking him which resulted in a nervous break down hence he quit the club, leaving them in 19th place. He then went back down a division and helped Siena achieve promotion to Serie A and was then appointed Juve Head Coach. Eddie Howe for example has already been written off by many, but Conte even after his struggles was given the big job in Italy mainly due to his association with the club. We're too quick to write talented people off and don't allow them to evolve their methods when it comes to coaching. Conte wouldn't have been hired at any big club in England for his work before he was given the job at Juve.

So for me I'd love to see us give the job to Graham Potter, because his ideas on the game and his implementation of his plan are what interests me. And I'll also be happy with either ten Hag or Adi Hutter, who are both artists IMO due to the ideas they have, which begin on the training ground and manifest on match days.

World Game

(x) = number of years roughly

Klopp: Mainz(7) --> Dortmund(7) --> Liverpool

Pep: Barcelona B(1) --> Barcelona(4) --> Bayern(3) --> Man City

Tuchel: Augsburg reserve(1) --> Mainz(5) --> Dortmund(2) --> PSG(2) --> Chelsea

Conte: Arezzo(2) --> Bari(2) --> Atalanta(1) --> Siena(1) --> Juventus(3) --> Italy(2) --> Chelsea(2) --> Inter(2) --> Spurs

Ole: Molde(3) --> Cardiff(1) --> Molde(3) --> Man United

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'll give you 3 names, with one who I feel would be more than ready to come straight into our team and the other two being Managers who we should keep a eye on. I've watched football over the years and have felt that certain Managers get chances at big clubs for not doing anything outstanding and other Managers do better but don't get the same opportunity at a big club. I've written about Marco Rose, Nageslmann in the past but the below names are probably not well known and are Managers who are either up and coming or a Manager who I feel deserves a chance at a big club.

1. Arne Slot: He's a young up and coming 42 year old coach at Feyenoord who has shown a high level of understanding of the modern game when it comes to implementation of a strategy on the pitch. His teams have been well coached in dominating the ball whilst applying aggressive pressures in a structured approached which has seen them adopt a inverted fullback strategy at times to open up extra passing options and provide defensive balance when using a single pivot at AZ Alkmaar. He's also shown the ability to organise his team when it comes to high level interchangeability where I've often seen things like a RB step into the #10 role whilst the #10 drifts towards the vacated half space on the right to maintain balance which causes confusion amongst opposition ranks due to the fluid nature and organisation of Slot's team which is very impressive due to it being very difficult/complex to implement. His teams look to dominate and control games on and off the ball in a very structured approach with offensive and defensive lines extremely well spaced, especially in offensive transition. His teams also apply pressure aggressively but the advantage he enjoys here is that his heavy emphasis on controlling possesion gives his team a rest phase and doesn't tire his team out too easily trying to win the ball back. He's someone that we should keep a eye on IMO. It seems he's taken a side ways step by joining Feyenoord from AZ, but having said that, Feyenoord are a Dutch giant that needs re-awakening, and Arne Slot is someone who may just help them do that playing a very exciting brand of football that places a heavy emphasis on possesion and verticality.

2. Gerardo Seoane: 43 year old Swiss Coach who is currently at Bayer Leverkusen is another up and coming coach who I feel we should keep a eye on. He implements a style of play that is very similar to what we see from Klopp and Marco Rose. A style that looks to impose a fast transition, high tempo/high intensity play-style with and without the ball with pressing triggers off the ball to funnel the opposition out wide to spring a pressing trap in a area where you can limit the pass options for the opposition and cause a numerical advantage in the quest to win the ball back. On the ball the aim is to transition play quickly, especially after winning the ball back, with quick, rapid, vertical passes through the lines which destroy the opposition defensive structure and create a big chance with minimal amount of passes. The issue with this style is that it can tire out teams very quickly due to there rarely being a controlled rest phase, which is something both Seoane and Rose need to evolve in their tactics/strategy to avoid burning their players out which has happened. Seoane was at Young Boys before he joined Leverkusen and had impressive results against teams like Juventus who had Ronaldo in their ranks. But he also came up against ten Hag and his Ajax team, and in that game his team's press was easily bypassed by Ajax and which resulted in their two midfielders having far too much space in midfield which meant Ajax ran out winners comfortably whilst Seoane and his team had run out of steam at the 60 minute mark against a team who broke their high press, implemented their own high press and had a controlled rest phase on the ball, which is a hallmark of ten Hag and his team's ability to control the game on the ball, similar to the less experienced Arne Slot. So this is something I feel Seoane needs to evolve at to circumvent burn out in his team by having a controlled rest phase. Klopp seems to have evolved in that regard. But Seoane is someone to keep a eye on.

3. Adi Hütter: The Austrian coach who is now 51, has been on a upward trajectory ever since he first coached the youth team at Salzburg, which followed a stint at little known altach in Austria's second tier where his exciting brand of football was the talk of the town. He got them to 3rd and 2nd in his two years there, before he took the job at Grödig and got them promoted playing a brand of football that was exciting to watch and he followed that up by getting them into Europe the following season. He was then hired by Ralf Rangnick at Red Bull Salzburg where he implemented a high tempo 4-4-2 formation which made Salzburg one of the most exciting attacking machines in Europe. He was hugely successful at Salzburg but left the club after the club kept selling players like Mane, Kampfl, keeper, forwards etc which he took isdue to. He then went and joined Young Boys Bern and the mission was to win the league which the club hadn't achieved for 30 years. In two years he ended over three decades of hurt by winning the league title with Young Boys who were perennial under achievers and called bottle jobs. And he did that by implementing a style of play which was described as 'enthralling' and he was regarded as one of the finest tacticians in the game. He also went to Frankfurt in Germany where he's revered and has had to juggle staying competitive whilst the club sell off several of the team he has developed. But even then he recovered and made Frankfurt competitive again playing a brand of football that is exciting to watch. He's currently at Gladbach which is a tough job where there's a clear ceiling on how far you can progress as a coach. But he did smash Bayern and Nagelsmann 5-0 in the Cup last week. But he's a coach that's exceeded expectations everywhere he's been. If he was Italian, he'd have multiple scudettos to his name imo. Because they give you a chance at the top clubs there.

For me the best candidates for the job are Hutter, ten Hag, Potter. Choosing one of the three would be a decision that would be the best for the club IMO.
@AussieDevil