RoShaun Williams

khoazany

Starting for England U17s vs. Guinea in the U17s World Cup.Live on Eurosport 2 right now.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Erm, no. It's a very talented young United player with a name chosen by his parents.

khoazany

Started again for England U17s, this time against Brazil.Quite incredible how the exclusion of Reece Oxford has made him from not in the squad to starting every game.

Trizy

A centre back?! :lol: If he turns out to be a good defender then he'd be unstoppable. No attacker will run past him.
Good for counter attacks I suppose but most times if an attacker beats a defender it's due to acceleration which is much more valuable in football.

I play CB for my Sunday League team, I've yet to play for a team where I'm not the fastest sprinter but I struggle with small strikers with explosive pace over 5 yards. If only football was played in straight lines, eh? :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Pace is instrumental for the modern game. Its an also an asset for young defenders since it may allow them the chance to recover if they make a silly mistake

khoazany

Starts again for England U17s today for their final group stage game against South Korea.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Doing well enough so far. South Korea playing a compact defensive game so he isn't being challenged too much but he has cut out a few attacks easily enough. Just muscles players off the ball with ease.

Was Edwards poor the last two games or why was he dropped? He's the best attacking player there from what I've seen so weird to drop him in a must win match. Can't say I rate Mavididi, Ugbo or Hinds much. Willock is good but his delivery has been very poor today. Shame we couldn't sign him, would have been a nice addition. Jay Dasilva isn't getting forward as much as usual and the midfielders don't seem up to much.

khoazany

Doing well enough so far. South Korea playing a compact defensive game so he isn't being challenged too much but he has cut out a few attacks easily enough. Just muscles players off the ball with ease.

Was Edwards poor the last two games or why was he dropped? He's the best attacking player there from what I've seen so weird to drop him in a must win match. Can't say I rate Mavididi, Ugbo or Hinds much. Willock is good but his delivery has been very poor today. Shame we couldn't sign him, would have been a nice addition. Jay Dasilva isn't getting forward as much as usual and the midfielders don't seem up to much.
Edwards didn't do much last game but it's more because of this England team didn't really do as a "team" and he couldn't make an impact alone by himself.England's selection of squads and lineups at these levels have always been a bit baffling in general.

A front 6 of Diallo,Patching,Gribbin,Edwards,Willock,Hinds would have been much better.

Red_toad

Pace is instrumental for the modern game. Its an also an asset for young defenders since it may allow them the chance to recover if they make a silly mistake
When was pace not instrumental?

But saying that possibly the best team in the last few decades didn't rely on pace. Intricate passing & maintaining possession were more key elements over having a player or two in the team with rapid pace.

Trizy

But saying that possibly the best team in the last few decades didn't rely on pace. Intricate passing & maintaining possession were more key elements over having a player or two in the team with rapid pace.

Best recent teams all had fast attackers though.

United 08 - Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez (front 2 with a free roaming attack winger)
Barca 09 - Messi, Pedro, Villa (front 3)
Bayern 13 - Robben, Ribery (front 3)
Madrid 14 - Ronaldo, Benzema, Bale (front 3)
Barca 15 - Messi, Neymar (front 3)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I know it sound cheesy but British football is different. The rules are different and so is the mentality. Referees close an eye to the physicality of the game which contribute in players being given more licence to tackle and close players down. Not to forget that EPL goalkeepers have less protection than those in mainland Europe, hence crosses are more effective. A club with minimum financial means can therefore focus in building a hard working side made up of 7-8 players who can tackle and commit fouls throughout the entire 90 minutes without really risking an imminent red card. When attacking, these teams can still pose some sort of a danger thanks to their wingers and their big guys upfront they allow them to bypass the superior midfield and defence of the top quality clubs. Hence why 'multitaskers' like Fellaini, Ings, Heskey, Nolan and co who can score goals but are still useful to have around when the team is defending are more popular in the EPL than lets say in La Liga. It also comes with no surprise why the EPL seem struggling to produce the technically gifted players La Liga and the Bundesliga seem producing.

Under such circumstances a big team must exploit every space given by the smaller sides whenever the latter are attacking. The ball must move quickly between defense and attack before the big (and often slower) players are able to react and return to their 'park the bus' tactic. That is why pace is crucial for a top EPL club.

Also kindly note that Barcelona does not lack pace. Suarez, Neymar and Messi provide ample pace. Prior to Suarez and Neymar they had guys like Sanchez and Etoo who were pacey too.

khoazany

Can you lot left this talk about pace at top flight football out of this thread about Williams?Thanks.

Last edited:

Norris

He's so fast in that video. But his technique seems a little soft though. How tall is he? I know he will develop that over time, but will he be a good fit at CB ? Wouldn't he perharps make a better FB ?

jb8521

His step up to the under 21's as a first year under 18 player has been exceptional. His communication with other players and leadership qualities are also very good for such a young player.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
His step up to the under 21's as a first year under 18 player has been exceptional. His communication with other players and leadership qualities are also very good for such a young player.
That said he is built like a grown man.

Trizy

How has he been this season? Our academy suddenly doesn't look as shite since LVG took over, since we're actually getting to see them play.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
How big a talent is this guy considered to be? Seems like we have a few bright talents for the CB position coming through.

khoazany

How big a talent is this guy considered to be? Seems like we have a few bright talents for the CB position coming through.
He's the biggest academy CB talent since the Pique/Evans/Shawcross era IMO (Fosu-Mensah probably won't end up at CB so I didn't count him).Tuanzebe is impressive as well and Poole is highly thought (there's also Warren in the U18s who's a RB but played very well at CB this season) but Williams is always my pick of the bunch.

Red_Beans

@khoazany

What do you think about Williams as a RB? I don't watch as much of the youth teams as I would like, and much less than you, but every time I've watched him I thought he would make a cracking full back. Thoughts?

khoazany

@khoazany

What do you think about Williams as a RB? I don't watch as much of the youth teams as I would like, and much less than you, but every time I've watched him I thought he would make a cracking full back. Thoughts?
He can play there since he has pace and can run with the ball but I think CB is by far his best position.

Sid234

Tyler Reid isn't too bad either.. we have a really good crop of defensive players coming through

3KDré

I am no expert by any means, but I have watched a few U21 matches this season. Every time I have seen him play he seems calm, assured, strong and commanding. He does make a few mistakes but his recovery pace makes up for it. He looks pretty well built and might still grow. If so, we've got a lot of potentially good CBs in our youth system with TFM, him, Tuanzebe and Poole.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What did i miss? Are we letting Reid go?
JB said one of the u18s that everyone would expect to be moving up to the u21s is signing for another club. Not really us letting him go and more him leaving I believe.

Tyler Reid was my guess because he didn't get promoted early to the u21s which he likely felt he deserved to and with him being from the south he probably doesn't feel as tied to the club as some of the Mancs who have been here since they were under 10.