Ross Barkley Chelsea player - will wear Lampard's #8 shirt

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
I guess it's tapping up to agree a fee and then negotiate a deal that requires the player not to sign now or for that fee. How do you even prove that though
Exactly. We can speculate with almost certainty that is what happened, but all parties involved could easily say they wanted to wait until he was nearer to full fitness before signing him in Jan.

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
Thankfully we didn't spunk even £5mill on that overrated cnut
The thing is your right, a bang average English player and people getting wound up he's only gone for £15 million. He's done feck all of any note for Everton.

Welcome to Chelsea's bench, if your lucky.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Never noticed that, thanks for keeping me honest.

PS - glad she dropped the earrings.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Its like the opposite of buying a car. If they sold him tomorrow they would be looking for 35/40 million.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Is this a Conte signing? Conte is a good manager and won't be fooled by average English players. Ross Barkley is another in the endless line of talented players with no brain. I'm struggling to believe Conte's scouting came up with Ross Barkley.
Yep, that's truly the best description of Barkley I have read in this thread. He is a nothing player right now, that might not start a PL game under Conte, unless we are hit by an injury crisis.

As long as he doesn’t do a Mutu and becomes a coke head then gets sacked in 10 months time for it.
Lol, Mutu was a serious prospect though. Loved his Charlie too much, though.

And Ox went for more than double the fee if I recall correctly. Not an exciting signing but one with no real downside and we're short on homegrown numbers so...
He has been probably signed to fulfil a certain quota of little Engerlanders.

Wtf 15 million.

I would’ve loved him at united for that price
No, not really a Conte and neither a Mourinho player. To them he is basically a wasted space in the squad.

engulfing

He is a good player when on form. His problem isn't ability its consistency. For a young midfield inconsistency is normal. I would have been happy if we had signed him especially for such a price, but he would be another project that would only bear fruit in a season or two and we have many of those already so I can understand passing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's not better than what the have.
Just filling the team with squad players.

engulfing

He's not better than what the have.
Just filling the team with squad players.
How many players can score from outside the box with both feet. Or be built like an ox but can dribble with pace and in tight spaces. He needs to be more intelligent and alot more consistent but the raw material is abundant.

Adisa

So Barkley moves to Chelsea for £15 million and people are on here telling me that you can't get players who would help our title bid for £25 million or less. Okay then.
Tell me how Barkley would help our title bid?

Adisa

How many players can score from outside the box with both feet. Or be built like an ox but can dribble with pace and in tight spaces. He needs to be more intelligent and alot more consistent but the raw material is abundant.
Been saying this for God knows how long.
He's average.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Danny Drinkwater and Ross Barkley, Chelsea's last two signings... it's a good job they've got a good manager because they're going no where buying players like them

Ekeke

Replacing average players with average players = Average
Replacing out of form players with someone who might be able to do better = improvement.

Only a child would think the only way to win the league is to have a fashionable "world class" player in every position in the squad

haram

Replacing out of form players with someone who might be able to do better = improvement.

Only a child would think the only way to win the league is to have a fashionable "world class" player in every position in the squad
Did I say we need a world class player in every position?

You do not replace players who are “out of form” with average signings in january. That would be poor squad management.

Danny Drinkwater and Ross Barkley, Chelsea's last two signings... it's a good job they've got a good manager because they're going no where buying players like them
And when Hazard and Conte leave...

They’ll have to deal with the average players they stocked up on.

northender

Supports
Preston North End
I think it's a shrewd addition at that price. Even if he will need time to get fully fit again, £15m for a very talented English player like him when most English players are hugely overpriced is great value.

Barkley is inconsistent but physically and technically he is top class. If Conte can add a bit more defensive/tactical nous and consistency to his game then he could be very, very good for Chelsea.

With them playing 3-5-2 at lot more this season, he will fit in very easily at the top of their midfield as well.

Ekeke

Did I say we need a world class player in every position?

You do not replace players who are “out of form” with average signings in january. That would be poor squad management.
Thats what we currently do with our squad players coming in when our starter isnt doing it - see Miki and Lingard. Before Lingard's current run when he was given that oppertunity plenty of people thought he was average. Low and behold a player is given a chance and it works out. But I guess Barkley's Fifa rating is too low for you or something

Swift Football

Think he will make it there, be interesting to see how he does. Wanted him here for the price and i do think he has enough talent. Fergie would have gone for him.
Chelsea have done fantastic on getting their players for relatively cheaper price and selling their unwanted players at top price.

Barkley seems to be lil inconsistent and very reckless on his tackles but for sure he has some natural talent. He could actually be better for us than them.

In current market where everybody is going for crazy money, it's refreshing to see barkely going for far less even though I hate it that it's Chelsea who got the good deal at least moneywise.

haram

Thats what we currently do with our squad players coming in when our starter isnt doing it - see Miki and Lingard. Before Lingard's current run when he was given that oppertunity plenty of people thought he was average. Low and behold a player is given a chance and it works out. But I guess Barkley's Fifa rating is too low for you or something
How is using an existing player the same as signing an average player in January? I don't even play FIFA but ok. You're snide comments don't make your points any stronger. Point is even worse because I was one of the people who defended Lingard.

prateik

I think he is shit. Massively overrated a couple of years ago. The hype died down a little once people got to see him play a bit more.

He is most probably being signed to meet the quota requirements. A squad player at best.
Position couldve been filled by a 18-20 year old player from the reserves, but Chelsea would rather get a 24 year old while letting the kid go out on loan and sell him off for more money.

Green_Red

I thought they would have gone for another striker before another midfielder. They seem overloaded with options in the second third of the pitch, or am I completely wrong on that?

Ekeke

How is using an existing player the same as signing an average player in January? I don't even play FIFA but ok. You're snide comments don't make your points any stronger. Point is even worse because I was one of the people who defended Lingard.
So what? Other people thought he was average, you think Barkley is average. Its exactly the same thing. And obviously the more people we have to choose from who can come in with a month of good form like Lingard the better. We just need a few every month to be on a high level and push the competition for places so that other players have to work harder on their own form to get into the team. Barkley is every bit as talented as Lingard if not far more so, its entirely possible that he could have a good month or two over the season when Ander wasnt at his best alongside Matic and help us moving towards the title and that would, without a doubt, help us. But you dont seem to understand how a season goes and how little you actually need to do to help and improve things over the course of the season. If Lingard drops his form and doesnt do much more before the end of the season, he's already contributed a good amount this season as a squad player.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Price is cheap, potential is there so I guess there's nothing to loss and its a decent signing. But the players form and progression in recent years is in doubt.

haram

So what? Other people thought he was average, you think Barkley is average. Its exactly the same thing. And obviously the more people we have to choose from who can come in with a month of good form like Lingard the better. We just need a few every month to be on a high level and push the competition for places so that other players have to work harder on their own form to get into the team. Barkley is every bit as talented as Lingard if not far more so, its entirely possible that he could have a good month or two over the season when Ander wasnt at his best alongside Matic and help us moving towards the title and that would, without a doubt, help us. But you dont seem to understand how a season goes and how little you actually need to do to help and improve things over the course of the season. If Lingard drops his form and doesnt do much more before the end of the season, he's already contributed a good amount this season as a squad player.
No, we should not add average players to a squad in the hope that they have a good month somewhere along the season. What kinda bollox reasoning is that.

The fecking nerve of you to be condescending when you're the one who thinks players like Barkley is what is going to close the gap to City. Get your fecking head out your arse.

I’ve actually held back from saying anything but you’re being a fecking cnut about it.

Last edited:

Siorac

As the years go by, Barkley looks more and more like Milner. He'll probably end up at left-back eventually.

Pacificgi

Going to chelsea is obviously a step up for him, but hes not going to be a regular starter id have thought so hes taking a hit there. Then again, if hes there for a few years and chelsea win some trophies hes going to be happy.

His options are limited really, he wanted to try moving onto a better club but i dont think theres a bigger team in england than everton that would have taken him on as a guaranteed starter.

Gazza

Hard to see how he'll ever get enough games to develop further or establish himself. Chelsea are probably always gonna have someone better in his position so he'll be a rotation option at best, you'd think. Chances of ever being a regular for England will probably evaporate in the long term. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, good luck to him.

Needham

It's great that he will be able to go in and learn from established world class talents like Fabregas. Snip of a buy.