Ross Barkley Chelsea player - will wear Lampard's #8 shirt

Trizy

Average enough player with glimpses here and there.

Mind you he's a brilliant signing £15m given todays market. Would happily see us pay that money for a squad player who could make a difference now and then.

Matty7

Business doesn't win you trophies. Signing Sanchez is good business not signing ross damn barkley when your trying to compete with City,United and the big boys in europe
That fee is almost

• Half the price of Siggurdson.
  • 3/8 the price of Matic
  • 1/5 the price of VVD
  • 1/6 the price of Pogba
  • 1/2 the price of Mkhi, Bailly, Lindelof, Herrera and Shaw.
  • Same price as Blind and Rojo.
  • 1/9 of the price Coutinho is being quoted.
  • 1/7 the the price of Dembele.
  • 1/3 the price of Walker.
  • 3/10 the price of Mendy.
  • 3/4 the price of Everton's Schneiderlin.
  • 3/4 the price of Lyon's Memphis
  • 3/8 the price of Xhaka.
  • 3/8 the price of Bakayoko.
  • 1/2 the price of Rudiger
  • 5/9 the price of Zappacosta.
  • 5/9 the price of Fellaini
and many more.
Someone here says it's a bad deal.
This is not football manager. Not every player you buy will be a top player for big money. Barca, Bayern, Real etc all buy squad players. You need them for squad depth. This is a great bit of business considering the other prices quoted above.

Jaybomb

For 15 million, it’s a decent signing.

But I can’t believe how far Chelsea’s standards have dropped.... Drinkwater, Barkley and now I hear they’re interested in Andy fecking Carroll :houllier: These guys won’t win you Premier Leagues.

Renegade

Very good signing.

Didn’t Jordan Ibe move for the same fee a couple seasons ago?

This signing actually reminds me of when they snapped Joe Cole up for around £6m, people had doubts about him too and he turned out to be a good signing in the end.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Don’t think you can really bemoan this transfer. Really good price, clearly talented if a patchy player and adds to Chelsea’s homegrown/British player quota. They’ll almost certainly get the fee back too if he fails to deliver. Smart signing.

Mcking

But I can’t believe how far Chelsea’s standards have dropped.... Drinkwater, Barkley and now I hear they’re interested in Andy fecking Carroll :houllier: These guys won’t win you Premier Leagues.
Drinkwater actually won Leicester the EPL.

padr81

Supports
Man City
£15m is good money despite the contract situation. He could prove a steal at that price and even if it doesn't work out it's not a huge hit to take.

Mcking

Let’s be honest. Kante, Vardy and Mahrez did.
Kante, Morata and Hazard will win it for Chelsea then.
Drinkwater, Barkley will play the supporting role just like he, Okazaki and Albrighton did for Leicester.

Ekeke

No, we should not add average players to a squad in the hope that they have a good month somewhere along the season. What kinda bollox reasoning is that.

The fecking nerve of you to be condescending when you're the one who thinks players like Barkley is what is going to close the gap to City. Get your fecking head out your arse.

I’ve actually held back from saying anything but you’re being a fecking cnut about it.
I wonder why your tagline is "Banned"

Probably wishful thinking, like the idea that every player in a squad needs to be better than what you consider average.

J_Red 11

It's hard to say if Barkley for £15m is a good business from chelsea or no at this moment. If we look at in today's market, for a squad player it sounds like a good business. But if you look at deeper in Chelsea academy player, surely player like Ruben Loftus-Cheek who is younger & cost free deserves a chance to be at least a squad player. Both are similar type of player as well.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

haram

I wonder why your tagline is "Banned"

Probably wishful thinking, like the idea that every player in a squad needs to be better than what you consider average.
You are condescending. Your points are weak and all you are doing is assuming what I think.

Ekeke

You are condescending. Your points are weak and all you are doing is assuming what I think.
You insult people and think you're on the moral highground. Realistically you dispute every reasonable attainable, fundamental strategy that any winning squad has ever used. That you need a bunch of players who come in and do their part for a part of the season, not just a bunch of Ronaldos and Messis all over the squad. Nobody has the finances for that and those players dont want to be rotated. Stick to your computer games.

Number1

I think Barkley could be a awesome signing, always a player with great potential, just needed that club to take him to the next level.

Being English hopefully Chelsea could be that club as England produce lots of players with 'potential' but we need more of them to fulfill it.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
I think Barkley could be a awesome signing, always a player with great potential, just needed that club to take him to the next level.

Being English hopefully Chelsea could be that club as England produce lots of players with 'potential' but we need more of them to fulfill it.
We signed Gary Cahill from a relegated team, he turned out to be solid and has had a lot of success here despite the number of coaches he’s had to go through hired and fired. I think as long as Barkley has a desire to get better and learn, he’ll become a good player too.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
We signed Gary Cahill from a relegated team, he turned out to be solid and has had a lot of success here despite the number of coaches he’s had to go through hired and fired. I think as long as Barkley has a desire to get better and learn, he’ll become a good player too.
I think the thing keeping me optimistic is he fills a gap we need, he isn't just an all rounder that's half decent he is a creative cm with a bit of an engine too. Going forward creativity is what we lack the most so I think it is a good buy. Should make his debut within the next two weeks by the sound of things.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Drinkwaters premier league medal says hi.

haram

You insult people and think you're on the moral highground. Realistically you dispute every reasonable attainable, fundamental strategy that any winning squad has ever used. That you need a bunch of players who come in and do their part for a part of the season, not just a bunch of Ronaldos and Messis all over the squad. Nobody has the finances for that and those players dont want to be rotated. Stick to your computer games.
You have attempted to insult my intelligence in every post. Even in this one you are talking about “computer games”. Have some self awareness.

I was disputing the idea that adding players like Barkley in january so we can get a good month or two out of him here or there every season is a good strategy. Or that players like him are supposed to help our “title bid”. Never did I say every player has to be top top quality of Ronaldo level. How about you actually read my posts and think about what you are actually saying?

Ekeke

You have attempted to insult my intelligence in every post. Even in this one you are talking about “computer games”. Have some self awareness.

I was disputing the idea that adding players like Barkley in january so we can get a good month or two out of him here or there every season is a good strategy. Or that players like him are supposed to help our “title bid”. Never did I say every player has to be top top quality of Ronaldo level. How about you actually read my posts and think about what you are actually saying?
You have attempted to insult everyone's intelligence with every post by writing them. Time to put you on block

haram

You have attempted to insult everyone's intelligence with every post by writing them. Time to put you on block
So you carry on with your snide remarks and then block me. What a weirdo.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Hope we see him in a midfield 3 together with Cesc and Kante rather than instead of Cesc. That would be a midfield with a bit of everything.

mufcneville

Impressive deal tbf - he'll do well at Chelsea.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I'm happy we didn't sign him, hope to be proven right, but time will tell.

T_Model101

Pat Nevin suggested on BBC that if fit, Barkley would struggle to make the Chelsea bench tonight...
Personally I think he'll turn out to be a good signing for them