Ross Barkley Chelsea player - will wear Lampard's #8 shirt

KanieKaned

Definitely. In a way reminds me of Wenger in his last years. You hear reports from players about what a friendly environment they work in. Barkley was compared to a young Rooney but never developed that Football initiative and killer instinct that helped his team win games. Bit of a shame as technically gifted midfield players seem to be a rare breed for England of late.

I never understood the Rooney comparison myself. Rooney was bullish, powerful and explosive as a youngster and as you said had from the offset a killer instinct. That aggression in his game aided him in that department. Players found it hard to get to grips with a kid bullying them. Barkley to me seemed more continental. I think he also bought into his own hype too early and never really pushed on as a player. Shame really as for me there was a mighty fine midfielder in there. Eye for a pass and technically very gifted. For his sake I hope he does come good but I do fear he never will.

Posh Red

I never understood the Rooney comparison myself. Rooney was bullish, powerful and explosive as a youngster and as you said had from the offset a killer instinct. That aggression in his game aided him in that department. Players found it hard to get to grips with a kid bullying them. Barkley to me seemed more continental. I think he also bought into his own hype too early and never really pushed on as a player. Shame really as for me there was a mighty fine midfielder in there. Eye for a pass and technically very gifted. For his sake I hope he does come good but I do fear he never will.
He has time on his side and we see players come good in the prem at all different ages so we can hope. I think he was compared to Rooney due to his frame and tendency to shoot from range. Truth is he seems no better than he did when he burst onto the scene (regressed if anything). Why is it that England struggle to both produce and nurture these kinds of player?

KanieKaned

He has time on his side and we see players come good in the prem at all different ages so we can hope. I think he was compared to Rooney due to his frame and tendency to shoot from range. Truth is he seems no better than he did when he burst onto the scene (regressed if anything). Why is it that England struggle to both produce and nurture these kinds of player?
I think they struggle with these players as the coaching has always been about power over technique and teaching a footballing brain. Rooney was essentially born with.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It is pretty grim: Barkley, Cahill, Drinkwater, Fabregas, Moses. Christensen will fit that too next season.
I seriously don't get it. What do Barkley and Drinkwater give as squadies that Chalobah and RLC didn't? Do those two not count for HG quota?

Walters_19_MuFc

People are talking as if he's played a number of games for Chelsea.

Fact is, he's come off the back of a pretty bad injury and unfortunately for him, he hasn't quite been able to shake it off.

If he can get a good pre season under his belt, then he should be judged on what he can produce next season.

Bwuk

People are talking as if he's played a number of games for Chelsea.

Fact is, he's come off the back of a pretty bad injury and unfortunately for him, he hasn't quite been able to shake it off.

If he can get a good pre season under his belt, then he should be judged on what he can produce next season.
Barkley is nowhere near the level Chelsea need.

Hopefully next season they play the likes of him as they’ll be down in 5th/6th again if they do.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I seriously don't get it. What do Barkley and Drinkwater give as squadies that Chalobah and RLC didn't? Do those two not count for HG quota?
They all count as homegrown.

Barkley and Drinkwater have hundreds of premier league games under their belts, that's the difference. Would I prefer Chelsea to have given the two kids a chance? Of course but I can understand the decision.

Barkley especially was a low risk transfer, we'll easily make a profit on him.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Chalobah left for regular football and I think Loftus-Cheek isn't keen on being a squad player either (he hardly played for Chelsea last season). The latter needed more games hence him being sent out on loan.

Walters_19_MuFc

Barkley is nowhere near the level Chelsea need.

Hopefully next season they play the likes of him as they’ll be down in 5th/6th again if they do.
People say the same about Henderson, Ox, etc, however, Liverpool are currently sitting 3rd, with a CL semi final to play on Tuesday.

I personally believe that, with the right manager, Barkley can be a top player.

Champagne Football

Next season he will probably be a lot better. Joined Chelsea after a long injury and no preseason. But he has yet to show he will be anything other than the new Nick Powel....flashes of brilliance but no consistency.

Evertons fans hopes that they had the new Gerrard and Keane coming through their academy in Barkley and Rodwell some years ago look a tad daft now

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They all count as homegrown.

Barkley and Drinkwater have hundreds of premier league games under their belts, that's the difference. Would I prefer Chelsea to have given the two kids a chance? Of course but I can understand the decision.

Barkley especially was a low risk transfer, we'll easily make a profit on him.
If making signings to sell on is how Chelsea want to function, great.

Sure there was a gulf in appearances but in quality there’s very little. Continues your terrible trend of having talented players come through the academy with little chance to amount to anything. Kind of one step forward two steps back when you take into Christensen getting the nod.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If making signings to sell on is how Chelsea want to function, great.

Sure there was a gulf in appearances but in quality there’s very little. Continues your terrible trend of having talented players come through the academy with little chance to amount to anything. Kind of one step forward two steps back when you take into Christensen getting the nod.
It's not the only way they want to function (see Morata and Bakayoko transfers) but we've been making these sort of low risk signings for years and turning a profit on them.

Christensen getting the nod is a huge step forward. If we can get 1 in a year I'd be fecking delighted!

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
He was bought to make profit. Guaranteed. I bet we'll sell him for £25-30m in the summer and bring back Loftus-Cheek.

Lentwood

Barkley is kind of typical of English fans not understanding the role of a CM in a top club

Scores the odd screamer here and there, can drop the shoulder and beat a man from time to time and that apparently makes him a top talent

Until we encourage more Carricks and fewer Barkley’s the National team will continue to falter

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Barkley is kind of typical of English fans not understanding the role of a CM in a top club

Scores the odd screamer here and there, can drop the shoulder and beat a man from time to time and that apparently makes him a top talent

Until we encourage more Carricks and fewer Barkley’s the National team will continue to falter
Exactly this. He would be playing at Las Palmas in La Liga and no one would know who he is.

Same with Stones, touted as some top CB talent.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi

Well he was a #10 when he broke though at Everton.

paulscholes18

Chelsea where English midfielders careers goes to pot, with Lampard being the exception
Scott Parker
Steve Sidwell
Josh McEachran
Nathaniel Chalobah (should be playing for a top 6 side easily)
Drinkwater
Barkley
RLC (needs to leave at the end of the season)

Javi

Does anybody remember that guy? 131mins so far ... hope he didn't expect to jump on the WC train at Chelsea. Full game on the bench for five PL games in a row now.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Does anybody remember that guy? 131mins so far ... hope he didn't expect to jump on the WC train at Chelsea. Full game on the bench for five PL games in a row now.
Maybe the new manager will fancy playing him.