Roulette Draft - R1: MJJ vs Big Dunk

Discussion in 'Draft Games Forum' started by Edgar Allan Pillow, Sep 7, 2018.

?

Who will win this match?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2018.
  1. Team MJJ

66.7%
  2. Team Big Dunk

33.3%
  1. Sep 7, 2018

Edgar Allan Pillow Ero-Sennin

[​IMG] VS [​IMG]
    ............................................. TEAM MJJ ....................................................................................... TEAM BIG DUNK ..................................

[​IMG]

TEAM MJJ

Formation- 5-2-1-2 on paper but in reality, the side can easily and will transition to 4-3-3 at times with both kopa and baggio comfortable outwide.
    Defensive Line- Normal
    Playing Style- Direct, counterattacking football

Attack

A very fluid front three centered around one of the greatest strikers of all time Nordahl, both Nordahl and Kopa are famous for playing in an attacking trident and baggio would perfectly complement the two. Kopa's preference for the right wing augments baggio's for the left.

Midfield

A very technically sound midfield which can retain the ball or do a lot of damage with quick transitions. Overath was a complete box to box midfield player, blessed with a wand of a left foot and voronin is the perfect DM to partner overath and kopa. Defensively solid but with excellent ball skills. The ball playing ability of my midfield means that any one of midfield can play a game changing pass if afforded enough time.

Defense

The German Wall.

Why I would win

• There is something off about my opponents midfield, I dont think rivera and gerson fit well and stielike isnt the player to hold that midfield together. It leaves his midfield physically weak without the stamina for pressing my side which is what is needed here ideally.
    • While is defense is good, mine is superior in almost every aspect with fullbacks about par.
    • Having vogts as a rwb should nullify the impact of facchetti and my attack being better than his should finish the job.

TEAM BIG DUNK

Dino ZOFF (Goalkeeper)
    Djalma SANTOS (Fullback - defensive)
    Claudio GENTILE (Stopper)
    Ciro FERRARA (Ball-playing centreback - cover)
    Giacinto FACCHETTI (Fullback - attacking)
    Uli STIELIKE (Defensive Midfielder)
    GÉRSON (Central Midfielder)
    Gianni RIVERA (Attacking Midfielder)
    Kurt HAMRIN (Right Wingforward)
    Giuseppe MEAZZA (Complete Forward)
    Pierre LITTBARSKI (Left winger)

Fluid 4-3-3

DEFENDING

GENTILE and FERRARA are a solid stopper-cover partnership. GENTILE is a tenacious man marker and FERRARA is a complete centreback, both defensive greats from their respective eras. FACCHETTI and DJALMA SANTOS complete the back four, two legendary fullbacks famous for their offensive and defensive dominance.
    STIELIKE is an intelligent anchorman sat infront of the back four, screening the defence, but also organising play from deep through to our playmakers.
    ZOFF, one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time is in goal. Maintaining a level of consistency and leadership that is unmatched.
    GÉRSON, RIVERA and LITTBARKSI can assist STIELIKE with covering, chasing back, controlling the middle of the pitch, and supporting our fullbacks.
    LITTBARSKI, MEAZZA and HAMRIN will help us defend from the front, cutting passing lanes and pressing the defenders.

BUILD UP PLAY

GÉRSON (architect of Brazil WC ‘70) is the central conductor: dictating the tempo, recycling possession, switching the play across the pitch and helping with our mixed tempo passing transitions (both vertical to RIVERA and MEAZZA, and horizontal to FACCHETTI and HAMRIN). Our midfield trio and fluid attack will help us to dominate possession and punish teams with quick vertical attacks.
    RIVERA is our roving playmaker. One of the greatest creative footballers of all time. RIVERA can carry the ball or prove devastating with his off-ball movements into the last third.
    FACCHETTI will prove an unstoppable attacking force on the left flank. FACCHETTI will overlap LITTBARSKI, who will frequently cut in with a mazy dribble infield.

ATTACKING

LITTBARKSI and HAMRIN will be encouraged to run at the opposition defenders. Exploiting spaces, losing their markers when cutting in and penetrating channels with their exceptional dribbling skills and natural pace.
    MEAZZA will be incredibly hard to mark as he won’t be playing as a traditional centre forward, but a nine-and-a-half. He will drop deep, help with central creative phases, pulling centrebacks out of their line and opening up pockets for RIVERA and HAMRIN to exploit.
    The attacking quartet of MEAZZA (prolific goalscorer and playmaker), HAMRIN (deadly wingforward), LITTBARSKI (dribbling wing wizard) and RIVERA (creative genius) is highly efficient, fluid and complete.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  2. Sep 7, 2018

3. Sep 7, 2018

MJJ New Member

Good luck @BIG DUNK, I was expecting you to play hamrin as a CF.

Couple of remarks from your tactics, having rivera as a roving playmaker is a mistake imo. The guy was a conductor and for me a better playmaker than gerson.

GÉRSON, RIVERA and LITTBARKSI can assist STIELIKE with covering, chasing back, controlling the middle of the pitch, and supporting our fullbacks.

From all accounts rivera wont be chasing anyone due to a lack of stamina and neither was gerson's game based on it.
  4. Sep 7, 2018

Holy feck, those defences! :eek: Tough game to call.

Don't like Briegel in the role for MJJ. He was more industrious all action players with great speed and stamina and not that much technical discipline. Good for a fullback, not good for a RCB imo, esp against a tricky customer like Hamrin. Love the Kopa-Baggio partnership!

Not sure but something feels off in Dunkie's midfield. Will give it more thought. Meazza should be brilliant in that role!
  5. Sep 7, 2018

MJJ New Member

A lack of technical discipline can be forgiven in a back five, specially with those four alongside him and no central focal point for my opponent.
  6. Sep 7, 2018

Gio ★★★★★★★★

Supports:
    Rangers
    Pretty much the quintessential LCB is Briegel - no issues there IMO, albeit I get Edgar's points about his gung-ho nature.
  7. Sep 7, 2018

Physiocrat Has No Mates

When I saw his squad I thought Brehme would be RWB with Briegel LWB, Kohler LCB and Vogts RCB
  8. Sep 7, 2018

MJJ New Member

I was thinking of it but didnt think brehme would be well received as a RWB or a RB.
  9. Sep 7, 2018

Enigma_87 You know who

This.

You have Vogts picking Littbarski, Kohler - Hamrin and Sammer Meazza most of the time, whilst Voronin takes care of Rivera.

A much better defensive set up. Briegel in a LCB/RCB role to me is a waste, even more so than Vogts as a wing back.
  10. Sep 7, 2018

2mufc0 Full Member

It doesn't make sense to shift Brehme to the right, firstly he never to my knowledge ever played there and secondly is GOAT at LB.

As for HPB I agree with @Gio he's perfectly equipped to play there.

Can see the argument for Vogts not being the best fit for RWB though .
  11. Sep 7, 2018

MJJ New Member

Briegel as a stopper for his club side.
  12. Sep 7, 2018

Gio ★★★★★★★★

Supports:
    Rangers
    MJJ's advantage there is that he can pretty much push the pieces around of that German defensive jigsaw as he sees fit. Briegel is proven at LB, LCB, CB, LM and CM; Brehme is the same on either side and even has some midfield experience, Vogts has solid credentials at RWB, RB and fits nicely at RCB.
  13. Sep 7, 2018

MJJ New Member

After picking baggio as my first pick, I really wanted Kopa. Kopa, in my opinion, has the perfect attributes historically to play an AM role in a side containing baggio and I cant think of much better number tens historically. A roaming play-maker with a preference for the right side of the pitch while being an all time great dribbler and passer of the ball.

14. Sep 7, 2018

Sonnet XVII New Member

Brehme was pretty freaking groovy on the right, to be fair — and also as a side midfielder, though that's not pertinent to this match thread.

Rightback in EURO '88 (courtesy @harms):

Pretty much the fullback version of Nedvěd in that he could play on both sides at a high level considering his two-footedness and positional/tactical nous. From an overall standpoint, whatever you lose in terms of proven GOAT tier ability on the left is adequately recuperated by having a surer and more focused defender in Vogts through the middle (possibly marking Littbarski or Meazza) and reverting Briegel to his primary defensive position as an athletic box-to-box powerhouse on the flank.
  15. Sep 7, 2018

2mufc0 Full Member

Ah thanks mate, wasn't aware of his credentials on the right. Fair enough!
  16. Sep 7, 2018

Pat_Mustard Full Member

A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
    Got to admit, I'm completely fecking blinded here by seeing Sammer, Kohler, Brehme and especially Baggio in the same team :drool:. I like that Baggio/Kopa creative duo a lot too, as it has shades of the tasty Baggio/Andreas Moller combo of 1990s Juve, with Kopa being a big individual upgrade on Moller. Whether he's Vieri on steroids or a poor man's Vieri, Nordahl is an excellent stylistic fit to spearhead the attack too.
  17. Sep 7, 2018

Theon Full Member

Yeah, absolutely love that two-punch Baggio / Nordahl combination. Stylistically similar to Vieri and compliments Baggio perfectly with his blend of physicality and finishing ability.

Would have loved another Serie A legend in that #10 position but have to say that Kopa does look like an excellent fit. He's not a player I've ever paid too much attention to, of all the greats from that era he'll be one of the ones I know least about. Would be interested in reading some more about him.
  18. Sep 7, 2018

Physiocrat Has No Mates

I'm perfectly happy with Briegel at LCB, I just think he'd be a better wingback than Vogts
  19. Sep 7, 2018

MJJ New Member

Ecstatic pasted a wonderful article on him. Love the picture in the end.
  20. Sep 7, 2018

Jim Beam The Joker

MJJ defence is fantastic. And then like he didn't have enough, he also put Voronin in the midfield.
  21. Sep 7, 2018

Tactical change by MJJ updated in OP:

[​IMG]
  22. Sep 7, 2018

harms Way Staff

I see that you've finally got that 5th like :)

Personally I feel that something is a little off with MJJ's team, but it'll go through in France-18 fashion — super solid at the back with a piece of genius from Baggio or Kopa.
  23. Sep 7, 2018

MJJ New Member

In terms of the midfield, attack or defense?
  24. Sep 7, 2018

Enigma_87 You know who

@BIG DUNK has made a great effort and have compiled a very well balanced side, but after the change it's hard to vote against @MJJ
  25. Sep 7, 2018

Pat_Mustard Full Member

Curious about who you're thinking of here. Rui Costa maybe?
  26. Sep 7, 2018

harms Way Staff

Overall feeling, but it's not something rational. One pick can change all that — or even moving some players around, I'd assume.
  27. Sep 7, 2018

Theon Full Member

Overath for me could be changed for someone who imo would be a more natural fit. A more stereotypical midfield double pivot.
  28. Sep 7, 2018

Pat_Mustard Full Member

Your attack is awesome, and I liked the defence in both the current and original configurations, albeit with the current setup you've got more obvious width going forward on your right wing which is always more voter-friendly. Overath in midfield is the only one that seems a bit surplus to requirements to me. With Baggio and Kopa's creativity and Voronin also being an excellent passer I'd prefer a more dynamic midfielder alongside Voronin. A runner rather than a passer basically.
  29. Sep 7, 2018

Theon Full Member

I was half talking generally, as in there’s a really nice Serie A combination there and would be great to have third player with that same Italian footballing ethos.

One of the players I had in mind though was Rivera, think he’d be brilliant there. The other one was indeed Rui Costa!

When MJJ picked Baggio my template to shoot for stylistically would have been a Rui Costa / Baggio / Vieri front three. I think he’s upgraded on both though probably.
  30. Sep 7, 2018

MJJ New Member

Ahh yeah that is one of the areas along with fullbacks that I want to upgrade in the next round, didnt get my first choice in both.
  31. Sep 7, 2018

Physiocrat Has No Mates

Overath is hardly Pirlo. He was a hard worker who got up and down and also carried the ball. I think he gives MJJ extra options as he can drop deeper and unleash some great long passes left to Baggio or right to Kopa. I think he offers something more than you typically get with the two in a 3-4-1-2 and prevents it just being about the 10 for creativity. Also if you think if he went 433 instead with Sammer as a B2B midfielder, Voronin as a DM, Baggio left forward and Kopa right forward I don't think anyone would think Overath was surplus to requirements. I think he's a great fit next to a DM in Voronin.
  32. Sep 9, 2018

Pat_Mustard Full Member

Aye, Rivera would be incredible in that role too. Just remembered that in the drafting MJJ said he wanted Boniek. As a neutral and Baggio zealot I'm glad he didn't get him as I much prefer this setup. Thinking about it the increasing popularity of 3-5-2s in the drafts makes it even more annoying that Baggio rarely gets any traction whatsoever here, as he could plausibly take either the second striker or trequartista role and would dovetail pretty nicely with a few of that rarefied group of attackers who rank above him.

Maybe I'm underrating him but from what I've seen he didn't seem great off the ball to me. Not positively lazy or anything, just a bit ineffectual out of possession. I agree that he was a brilliant passer and that would positively impact MJJ's build up play from deeper areas, but on balance I'd sacrifice that for a high-level grafter in the Tardelli mould.
  33. Sep 9, 2018

Ecstatic Full Member

Supports:
    PsG